Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,757 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! (1550 Views)

How Is This Car ACURA TL, Users Please Tell Me Your Own Experiences / Advice Getting Camry 2001 (fishlight/droplight). Users Please Come In / Why Do Mechanics And Panel Beaters Always Steal Catalyst In SUV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by Coolcash1: 7:23am On Jun 09, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by Vyzz: 7:53am On Jun 09, 2020
cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:57am On Jun 09, 2020
Please drive the GL occasionally. The balloons are 400k per leg.
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by buygala(m): 8:02am On Jun 09, 2020
Why did you buy that car, if the cost of fuelling and maintaining it gives you high BP? grin

Just wait Bro....The Corrolla crew are coming to explain how an 03 Corrolla is better than the GL, because na 500 naira fuel e dey use from Lagos to Potiskum and you fit use iya Wosilat palm oil stew to top up him engine oil grin

Brace yourself Sir grin

8 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by dammiedot(m): 9:01am On Jun 09, 2020
Coolcash1:
i bought this 2010 Benz GL450 4matic in February this year from another user. The former owner used to drive it to work everyday (less than 5km) and do other errands (picking up of his kids from school and travelling).

however, when ownership was transferred to me, i decided to make it an occasional vehicle i.e. parties and church which is only on weekends just to reduce the cost of fueling and maintenance.

But i met someone (a benz user) who advised against such practice that Benz are like planes designed to be driven everyday and not parked for long. Is this assertion true?

Also, is my current practice of not driving it everyday bad for the car? What are the risks involved?

Heard something like this before, not because it's a benz but for automobiles generally. Let's see what's other are gonna say
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by Praxtech: 9:42am On Jun 09, 2020
I don't know why it's called a Benz. It's a soulless car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by Niell(m): 9:54am On Jun 09, 2020
Machines were designed and made to run. Parking any car for too long can cause damage to some parts especially that which results from rust. Driving your precious GL on weekends is fine in my opinion. I personally think the less miles you put on a car the slower it gets maxed out. In other words, the longer it will last. You gotta admit though, that Mercedes GL is really one thirsty Mammoth of a car.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by Coolcash1: 1:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by promotervickky(m): 5:47pm On Jun 09, 2020
From experience, parking Cars for longer periods of time will incur rust and faults, add more days to driving it.

Since you want to cut costs, Driving it every day will surely incur mentainace and more fuel, so stay away from that.
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:52pm On Jun 09, 2020
Coolcash1:

It is indeed fuel gulping considering the engine capacity. We are talking about V8, 4.7litres engine with 335 horsepower at 6000rpm. So consuming much fuel is really expected but my major worry is avoiding unnecessary breakdown due to wear and tear. Driving the beast comes with a lot of comfort, safety and performance you can only get from Benz or BMW.

Thanks for the advice though whilst i look forward to reading more comments about the issue.

Very curious why you bought the car in the first place, since you're obviously not ready to handle issues that would come from regular usage. Why not something like an ML that would have offered the best of both worlds?
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by buygala(m): 6:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Very curious why you bought the car in the first place, since you're obviously not ready to handle issues that would come from regular usage. Why not something like an ML that would have offered the best of both worlds?

Abi we should also remind him that the car is likely to develop faults if it's not used frequently and for such short trips like that described by the Op.grin

Oga OP, if you keep on using that car only for Owambe and Church, the car is likely to develop faults...Vehicles generally need to be put to good use once in a while ...

Give or take, a car needs to be driven like it's stolen once in a while...

My own office is about 1km from my house...but at least once in a week I take my Jalopy DC on an 80 kilometre road rage grin....I make sure all the gears change in that one trip..e get one time wey SARS begin pursue me as Dem tink say I thief the motor grin

But the car's engine sound after that weekly madness tells me I am doing the right thing grin

Op, driving that car once in a while and for short distances and parking it is sure going to damage it more than using it well... There is a reason why toks cars with high Highway mileage are generally much better than those with low or even high city mileage...

Just sell the poor Car if e pass your power grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by greatbrian(m): 10:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
buygala:
Why did you buy that car, if the cost of fuelling and maintaining it gives you high BP? grin

Just wait Bro....The Corrolla crew are coming to explain how an 03 Corrolla is better than the GL, because na 500 naira fuel e dey use from Lagos to Potiskum and you fit use iya Wosilat palm oil stew to top up him engine oil grin

Brace yourself Sir grin

Ur sarcasm is beyond the clouds
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by greatbrian(m): 10:53pm On Jun 09, 2020
Coolcash1:

Driving the beast comes with a lot of comfort, safety and performance you can only get from Benz or BMW.

Add Audi bro. Thats the definition of comfort, safety nd performance
Re: Mercedes Benz Mechanics And Experienced Users Please Advice!!! by mustydeen(m): 10:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
Not Just the GL, all cars are meant to be driven. More so, the GL is designed to be driven often and on long stretch. If you travel often, that's the SUV for you.

Funny how wev turned everything upside down here kn Nigeria.

Every car has it's purpose.

The L4s are meant for within town drives. Not recommended for interstate travels, you will just where out the car.

The V6. Are the mid range, you want a car you can run errands with and travel with. They give you The best of both worlds

The V8----others are the extremes. The monsters that when not driven for long distances, or are used occasionally will lead to unprecedented repairs. Theres nothing wrong in Using your luxurious car for Owambes, how will they know you are a big man. But there's everything wrong in using it occasionally.

And don't ignore any light on your cluster. There's a myth that Euro cars are hard to fix, and it is so wrong, they are the easiest. They equiped with self diagnostic system with the help of a lot of bias voltages for self testings. If you say you no hear, it will enter limp mode, untill you fix the problem.

BTW, congrats on your ayokele

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Which Car would you buy? / New Cars Damaged As Fence Collapses At Car Stand (video) / Mercedes C240 2004 Woes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.