Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,410 members, 7,836,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) (74238 Views)

Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by vichaz10(m): 8:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
oloriLFC:
...as per magic na. Lol. We all want things to happen with a snap of our fingers. Na so e dey be?

You dey mind them

@emboldened
That mentality ehn...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by NoToPile: 8:49pm On Oct 14, 2019
At least it shows we produce enough tomatoes to go round in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by adedehinbo(m): 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
the local farmers and manufacturers of local rice re gaining.. they re getting patronage and they re smiling to the bank.
Customs made 300b within 2 months it is part of border closure effect.

Nigeria petrol consumption drop by 8millions litres meaning we re saving subsidy funds on 8millions litres.and more than enough petrol to go round

Many nigerians and stakeholders re now actively participating in rice cultivation which we improve self sufficiency in near future

you forgot poultry farmers,if this closure persists till festive period, I would be a millionaire

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Commentor: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2019
babaolofin:

[s]What I said is the bitter truth. Intelligence has no room for propaganda. I am yet to see an intelligence reaction. Those concerned already got my messages even outside Nigeria. What is the reason while immigration officers harassed Togolese at Akinyele a rural settlement at Ibadan where International Cattle Market and goat market are located but claimed they cannot identify the Niger & Chad people because the market leaders claimed they are all Arewa.

The Maryam Abacha American University in Niger Republic and the institution established in Niger Republic by Rabiu Kwakwanso when he was a sitting governor of Kano State and all other instances of brotherhood and collusion I raised are too technical for you, they are turech in your languagei, so they are propaganda to you. The message is for matured mind[/s].

Rubbish.

Also, write in coherent English next time.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by achikolo(f): 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Rubbish.

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by adedehinbo(m): 9:05pm On Oct 14, 2019
majamajic:

good analysis , but for example am a Nigerian worker , I normally buy local rice for example 5000 now am buying it 10000, is government gaining from citizens for paying higher for local commodities ?

just wan understand this
I am a local farmer,if the boarder closure persist till December, I will be a millionaire
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by mywells: 9:10pm On Oct 14, 2019
This simply means the customs have failed to discharge their duties from time in memorial,customs and smugglers are like cat and rat,this is what you get when the institutions that should take care of borders logistics have been reduce to beggars in the name of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Legendguru: 9:24pm On Oct 14, 2019
Oh
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by chyckxx(m): 10:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
blaise00700:
There is more to the drama between the two countries, my baby sis got admitted into ISM ADONAI UNIVERSITY CALAVI early this year, she is also affected by this cold war between Nigeria and Benin.

I hope they resolve this ASAP, you don't pickup petty fight with your neigbours. When the enemy attacks, where/who do we run to?
please, can you shed more light on how your sister is affected?
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by johnmattew: 10:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
babaolofin:

Tomatoes, Onions, assorted type of pepper, goats and cattle are entering freely through borders with their brotherhood bond up North.

What concerns Niger with border closure? Niger is only transit route as an AREWA land with easy access to their AREWA brothers in Nigeria. Maryam Abacha used Nigerian money to build University in Niger, Rabiu Kwankwaso as a serving governor of Kano State built institution in Niger Republic. We have so many of them with interests there. Using Buhari name to canvass for votes in Niger Republic by politicians in Niger Republic or invitation of Niger Republic governor(s) to a political campaign in Nigeria a sovereign state shows the Arewa bond and brotherhood. Maina is not the only Nigerian Arewa with assets built with stolen Nigerian money in Niger. There many of them.

I don't know how many ships berth in Niger or Chad per months compared to weekly traffic at Benin & Togo ports. The traffic at one port alone in Ghana is something else. The border closure is just Benin border closure only.
smh..u just spewed trash...did u hear about niger republic retaliation..if it wasn't affecting they would they have retaliated??..it seems you are underestimating the kind of arms crossing niger,Chad into Nigeria...besides,our government totally closed all land borders
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by luluman: 11:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
maxiflexy:

So Nigeria should keep the border closed at the expense of ECOWAS free trade zone
And what if your "ECOWAS Free trade zone affects our local farms?
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by grandstar(m): 12:03am On Oct 15, 2019
Authortee:
This is pathetic so we don’t even plant our own tomatoes? Tomatoes that is naturally growing in my backyard and we are importing this from Benin and some dummies are shouting that the border should be opened?
Let’s be reminded that in 1953 Jawalalu Nehru, then president of India ordered that the borders should be closed. The people asked him what why they wear or eat or drive?
He asked them to starve and walk naked. He said how can a country have about 300,000,000 then and not be able to feed itself or provide even its own entertainment. Look at India today?
Buhari should seal that border tight until we can provide our own food. We can’t just be totally big for nothing

Did the action make India prosperous? It left it dirt poor.

Nothing wrong with importation. What is wrong is when you don't export. That is where Nigeria fails hands down

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 12:54am On Oct 15, 2019
Authortee:
This is pathetic so we don’t even plant our own tomatoes? Tomatoes that is naturally growing in my backyard and we are importing this from Benin and some dummies are shouting that the border should be opened?
Let’s be reminded that in 1953 Jawalalu Nehru, then president of India ordered that the borders should be closed. The people asked him what why they wear or eat or drive?
He asked them to starve and walk naked. He said how can a country have about 300,000,000 then and not be able to feed itself or provide even its own entertainment. Look at India today?
Buhari should seal that border tight until we can provide our own food. We can’t just be totally big for nothing

Nigeria is Africa's leading producer of tomatoes (and among the world's leading producers)...

The problem is that because of non-existent/poor storage facilities and even poorer logistics/bad roads, MOST of the domestic production gets ruined before it gets to the market. Accordingly, it is easier to import from Benin Republic to Lagos and several places in the South (especially the South-West). Unfortunately, closing the border and banning imports will NOT resolve the issues with tomato distribution in Nigeria, until the aforementioned infrastructural, storage and logistics shortcomings are squarely addressed and resolved. In the meantime, the border closure merely means that the ordinary Nigerian consumer will have to pay HIGHER PRICES as they scramble for the fewer tomatoes that get to the markets.
>
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by adebopo: 2:19am On Oct 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
the local farmers and manufacturers of local rice re gaining.. they re getting patronage and they re smiling to the bank.

Nigeria petrol consumption drop by 8millions litres meaning we re saving subsidy funds on 8millions litres.and more than enough petrol to go round

Many nigerians and stakeholders re now actively participating in rice cultivation which we improve self sufficiency in near future

Thanks for the analyses, it really straight to the point.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2019
luluman:
we should try and follow the law at least ones in this country.
instead of closing the border, why not place heavy taxes on Imported rice and other Agro products, and make yours tax free.

with this incentive, local production will flourish and Smugglers will have no other option than to focus on local produce goods

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Successlane: 9:56am On Oct 15, 2019
adedehinbo:
you forgot poultry farmers,if this closure persists till festive period, I would be a millionaire

That's the spirit, my fellow compatriot!!!

Buhari must stand his ground on this.

Nigerians should be looking inwards, not flying out to in all directions like birds to foreign lands in search of greener pastures.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 11:34am On Oct 15, 2019
luluman:

You are supposed to COMPETE...

Instead of being lazy with a captive market, you should strive to be even better than them...
Because when you have a captive market, you can just produce inferior products and charge higher prices.

Meanwhile, Nigeria sells a lot of manufactured goods to our neighbors (albeit mostly informal trade).
>
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 11:53am On Oct 15, 2019
RichDad1:
From time memorial , Nigeria has been the one sustaining Benin republic economy at the detriment of ours.
They’re nothing but leeches.
To those complaining about rice , why can’t the importers berth their cargos at our ports ? Why always Cotonou? Because they give them lesser duties and smuggle everything into Nigeria all in the name of Ecowas trade crappy trade pact.

Because your ports are efficient and the operators are corrupt...
Their goods will get stuck at the ports and will be expensive to clear.

Accordingly, if they use are ports they would have to charge Nigerian consumers HIGHER PRICES...
But instead of fixing our ports and eliminating corrupt practices there, we close the border resulting in same HIGHER prices.
>
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by blaise00700(m): 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2019
DBestDoc:

Of all the Universities in Nigeria and abroad, it's Benin Republic that your sister chose as a study destination and you guys supported her?

Wahala dey oo.

What is wrong Studying in Benin Republic, this is the problem with Nigerians, too much ego but live in the worst country on planet earth.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 12:04pm On Oct 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:

Please, stop repeating govt propaganda. What you typed is not true.

Here is what has been happening for years...

1. Rice farmers in Nigeria have never had any problem selling their product.

2. Greedy distributors were the problem with rice availability and market pricing.

3. They buy up production, ship it as export out of Nigeria into warehouses in neighbouring country.

4. Govt gives them incentives and waivers under mandates of Export Promotion Council.

5. This export creates artificial scarcity here in Nigeria.

5. They smuggle it back (not import!) into Nigeria and market our own local rice back to us as imports.

I call the out/in pattern a "hairpin".

6. By now the price is doubled. The smuggled rice that was harvested in Minna is now in competition with non-smuggled rice harvested from same field in Minna.

7. Consumer habits and over-dependence on anything "abroad" or "import" will pay exhorbitant price for the hairpinned rice and ignore the non-hairpinned brand, ignorant that they were both planted and harvested by same farmer on the same field in Minna.

8. The looser is the farmer. He is cut out of gains raked in by the cunny, greedy supply chain.

9. Govt intervention should be directed at these exporter/importer of local rice. Legitimate cross-border business is suffering as result of this misguided border closure.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Boyooosa(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2019
Still a Maina in the system will be planning to steal public funds again tomorrow morning and the beneficiaries of the deadly/endangering act and blind wailers will condemn this decision without well thought justification.

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:

adedehinbo:
DennisEche:
THE ONLY GOOD THING THAT CAME OUT OF THIS GOVT WAS BORDER CLOSURE
johnmattew:
at the expense of ur economy??
RichDad1:
Don’t mind the leeches.
majamajic:
good analysis , but for example am a Nigerian worker , I normally buy local rice for example 5000 now am buying it 10000, is government gaining from citizens for paying higher for local commodities ?

just wan understand this
Eteka1:
Thanks for this good orientation.
Successlane:
I owe you a bottle of cold ………… (fill in your choice)

With our population, vast and fertile land mass, if we can't feed ourselves, let's go hungry.

I support the government on this policy, 100.00%
Raeynique:
I guess it's farmers time to make money now.. it's good for them...buy they should sha go easy on the billing
immaq8:
yet 50kg is 23k. hmmm
cashkid:
U dey mind them? I trust buhari grin
The guy no even send them
Mccullum:
IT'S YOU THAT NOT INFORMED, HAD IT BEEN YOU'RE INFORM, YOU WON'T SAY HE'S LYING.
Psady:
Na small small! we will get there, we go carry our cross. we want good and working economy abi? make we suffer small now,no be by magic. We are tired of past politicians giving us crumbs, killing our economy disguising as saints .
killmods:
This is one of the few things this government has done right. It will affect the economy positively, encourage local farmers and most of all reduce the number of inorganic nonsense foods in our markets. The way i pity people that hustle those useless frozen chickens and turkey.. if only u know what ur doing to urselves and the next generation una nor go near those sellers again.. Good work bubu for once at least
sparko1:
This is the mentality we need right now, how can we have over 50 million work force and we can't feed ourselves, most of the farmers are now looking for cleaner job, carpenter, and all other job just to get by, if they can produce and sell at a moderate price they won't mind going back to the farm.

Abegi, getting rich at whose expense...
The NIGERIAN CONSUMER IN THE WORLD CAPITAL OF EXTREME POVERTY.

We have a structural problem....
But we are trying to use a substantively cosmetic approach instead of trying to resolve the REAL issues.

Before we go any further, let’s get one thing clear that most of the comments above fail to grasp...
IMPORTATION OF THESE ITEMS HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED, ONLY CERTAIN LAND BORDERS HAVE BEEN CLOSED!

What this means is that you can still import tomatoes, rice and everything you want to...
But instead of small traders importing these, it will now be the MONOPOLY of rent-seekers who can afford to ship these items!

Meanwhile, let’s address the underlying structural issues that this cosmetic border closing does absolutely NOTHING to resolve, and why NIGERIA has some of the world’s HIGHEST costs of production and why we still rely on imports for even some of the products that we produce in relative abundance. Let’s start, for example, with tomatoes (since it’s what has kick-started this discourse). Nigeria is actually Africa’s leading producer (and among the world’s leading producers) of tomatoes, but we lose at least 40% of our harvests (some estimates put our losses as high as 60+%) before it gets to market on account of a lack of storage and preservation infrastructure and terrible roads and poor logistics. Closing the border does NOTHING to resolve this. It merely results in POOR NIGERIAN CONSUMERS IN THE WORLD’S CAPITAL OF EXTREME POVERTY having to pay HIGHER prices since without the Benin Republic imports, there’ll now be FEWER tomatoes in the market.

Now, let’s look at rice. It may surprise some to learn that Nigeria is actually Africa’s leading producer of rice, having overtaken Egypt in 2017 or thereabouts, but we are still short of meeting local market demand from entirely domestic production (either because our population keeps growing or our taste keeps changing, not surprisingly in tandem with increased urbanization). Accordingly, without importation, we merely replicate the situation with tomatoes - that is, POOR NIGERIAN CONSUMERS IN THE WORLD’S CAPITAL OF EXTREME POVERTY having to pay HIGHER prices because without supplementing local production with imports, we are left with FEWER rice in the same local market. Meanwhile, we have to HONESTLY ask ourselves how rice produced on the other side of the world (often with relatively more expensive labor) and then shipped halfway across the globe still manages to cost SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than locally-produced rice (stone and all).

REALITY (and as my moniker indicates, I’m a hard-nosed realist) is closing land borders does absolutely NOTHING to redress why we have some of the world’s HIGHEST costs of production, not only in respect of rice but with many other products. Our farmers still rely on mostly poor seedlings and poor farming methods, and thus we have probably the LOWEST yield per hectare in most of the developing world. In addition, we are lacking in irrigation infrastructure, and thus not only are we still compelled to rely on the somewhat unpredictable fortunes of “the rains” but are also stuck with seasonal farming instead of year-round farming (which is why we are Africa’s largest producer of maize, and among the world’s leading producers but PARADOXICALLY also one of the world’s leading importers of maize - because for more than half of the calendar year, we neither plant nor harvest corn). Of course, already discussed the issue of poor/non-available storage facilities as well as poor roads and other transportation/logistic infrastructure, that constrains getting products to the market TIMELY AND COST-EFFECTIVELY.

Accordingly, if this government was really serious about sound economic policy and development, it would help farmers with improved seedlings for better yields, with irrigation infrastructure to drive year-round farming, proper storage facilities including cold storage for perishables (such as these tomatoes), much better road transportation and logistics infrastructure, necessary market and pricing intelligence/information, in addition of course to better agricultural financing and insurance, among others. Even if some misguided policy makers in Abuja erroneously believe that the border closure is an optimal means to encourage local production (not sure why, but the cluelessness and incompetence in Abuja can never be overestimated), there would still be a LAG TIME for local producers to cultivate, harvest and mill (in the case of rice) their products before even getting to market, so why a SUDDEN closure which simply results in FEWER products in the market.

Sadly, Nigeria has become like the proverbial farmer whose farm is on fire and instead of fighting the fire, he busies himself with chasing bush rats fleeing said fire. Thus, instead of addressing structural issues that impede local production and productivity, we merely place an additional layer of effective ‘taxation’ (an Incompetence Tax, if you will) on POOR NIGERIAN CONSUMERS IN THE WORLD’S CAPITAL OF EXTREME POVERTY by DECREASING the quantity (perhaps even quality) of goods available to them and thus invariably condemn them to HIGHER PRICES for fewer goods (and choices). So, let’s be clear about this - the closure of the land borders is an ill-advised resort to cheap cosmetic POPULISM (in derogation of sound economic policy) that bedazzles the gullible but which does absolutely NOTHING to address/redress our structural issues! After, Mr. Buhari drives even more Nigerians quicker into POVERTY, we’ll still be at Square One!
>

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2019
ORIENTATION101:

adedehinbo:
DennisEche:
THE ONLY GOOD THING THAT CAME OUT OF THIS GOVT WAS BORDER CLOSURE
johnmattew:
at the expense of ur economy??
RichDad1:
Don’t mind the leeches.
majamajic:

just wan understand this
Eteka1:
Thanks for this good orientation.
Successlane:
I owe you a bottle of cold ………… (fill in your choice)

With our population, vast and fertile land mass, if we can't feed ourselves, let's go hungry.

I support the government on this policy, 100.00%
Raeynique:
I guess it's farmers time to make money now.. it's good for them...buy they should sha go easy on the billing
immaq8:
yet 50kg is 23k. hmmm
cashkid:
U dey mind them? I trust buhari grin
The guy no even send them
Mccullum:
IT'S YOU THAT NOT INFORMED, HAD IT BEEN YOU'RE INFORM, YOU WON'T SAY HE'S LYING.
Psady:
Na small small! we will get there, we go carry our cross. we want good and working economy abi? make we suffer small now,no be by magic. We are tired of past politicians giving us crumbs, killing our economy disguising as saints .
killmods:
This is one of the few things this government has done right. It will affect the economy positively, encourage local farmers and most of all reduce the number of inorganic nonsense foods in our markets. The way i pity people that hustle those useless frozen chickens and turkey.. if only u know what ur doing to urselves and the next generation una nor go near those sellers again.. Good work bubu for once at least
sparko1:
This is the mentality we need right now, how can we have over 50 million work force and we can't feed ourselves, most of the farmers are now looking for cleaner job, carpenter, and all other job just to get by, if they can produce and sell at a moderate price they won't mind going back to the farm.

The REAL (rather than the substantively cosmetic) issue is why are we importing and subsidizing petrol in the first instance... undecided

Apart from the fact that we really should not be subsidizing consumption at the cost of investment, interestingly, diesel which NIgerian truckers and transporters use to transports goods and ordinary Nigerians around the country is NOT subsidized. Kerosene, which the poorer and middle-class as well as some micro- and small-scale businesses use for cooking and/or other fuel is NOT subsidized. Aviation fuel which fosters business by enabling the whole movement of cargo and persons is NOT subsidized.

Ironically, the principal effect of this petrol “subsidy” regime (even ignoring the obvious CORRUPTION involved) has been to deter private capital and investments for flowing into the downstream and refining sector, because no rational or sane investor will make large capital investments into a sector where the government prevents them for cost-reflective pricing and charging enough to cover their costs and make a reasonable profit, as the DISCOs are finding out to the detriment of POOR NIGERIAN CONSUMERS (even Mr. Dangote has insisted that his refinery products will be priced at international rates, but not all investors have his capital, connection or political clout).

The land border closure, even if we assume or accept merely FOR ARGUMENT’S SAKE that it has reduced nominal demand for petrol, does absolutely NOTHING to address or redress the REAL issues bedeviling the petrol sector in Nigeria, which is in a nutshell that unless/until we fix our refineries (or sell it off to those who can fix and properly run them) and discard the CORRUPT “subsidy” regime, we are merely engaged in the cosmetic POPULISM of spraying poutporri in a shithole which may make it smell nice for a minute but the shyte remains untreated.

Anybody who has spent any significant amount of time in the North (including Mr. Buhari himself)would be well aware that crossing between Nigeria and several neighboring countries at so many points is about as easy as taking a walk into the bushes for a dump, with non-existent border demarcations for myriad miles of the border. Accordingly, so long as we continue to import and subside petrol, the land border closing does absolute NOTHING to redress the structural issue, because it will still cost N145 in Nigeria but much higher in neighboring countries.

I was actually going to add that the border closing does not affect the economics (or incentive) of smuggling petrol out of Nigeria into neighboring countries because closing the border does absolutely NOTHING to change the disparity in pricing that incentivizes such smuggling, but on second thought realizes that it does so in a PERNICIOUS way harmful to the NIGERIAN economy. The border closure will NOT stop the smuggling (because the price disparity and arbitrage opportunities remain unchanged). The only substantive change will be a smaller group of smugglers (possibly politically-connected rent seekers) who, because they will have fewer products to sell, will be charging higher prices.

All said and done, Mr. Buhari’s land border closure policy is an effective SCAM on ordinary Nigerian consumers and the masses...
Hopefully, the recently-constituted so-called Economic Advisory Council will live up to their individual credentials and quickly get rid of it.
>

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Greatzeus(m): 10:23pm On Oct 15, 2019
blaise00700:
There is more to the drama between the two countries, my baby sis got admitted into ISM ADONAI UNIVERSITY CALAVI early this year, she is also affected by this cold war between Nigeria and Benin.

I hope they resolve this ASAP, you don't pickup petty fight with your neigbours. When the enemy attacks, where/who do we run to?
Your sister couldn't get admission into any of the hundreds of Nigerian State, Federal or Private Universities? She couldn't pass jamb or what ?
Or are Benin Universities better than U.I, OAU, Covenant etc?
Just so she knows,from what is happening now,she might not be able to do NYSC after graduation, meaning she can't be employed by any corporate or government organization in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 16, 2019
Commentor:

Rubbish.

Did you or your masters understand coherent English ? Turechi is incoherent to you.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Commentor: 10:00am On Oct 16, 2019
babaolofin:

Did you or your masters understand coherent English ? Turechi is incoherent to you.

Don't be conceited.

Take correction when it is given to you.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by AgnesIkpunnu2(f): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Don't be conceited.

Take correction when it is given to you.
[/s]
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Trustworthiness: 1:11pm On Oct 16, 2019
m no
IceColdVeins:
Can someone analyze how the closure of borders will benefit me as an individual?
Cos all I see is inflation and famine.

May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did? they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government&police like a corporate organisation(bottom-up approach), where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed, operations externally audited with impending sanctions for code of conducts breachers, only then the government can function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

I love your thinking. But, how will you collect tax from smuggled goods? If you can't, then how will increase in tax or import duties affect them?
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by blaise00700(m): 1:26pm On Oct 16, 2019
Greatzeus:

Your sister couldn't get admission into any of the hundreds of Nigerian State, Federal or Private Universities? She couldn't pass jamb or what ?
Or are Benin Universities better than U.I, OAU, Covenant etc?
Just so she knows,from what is happening now,she might not be able to do NYSC after graduation, meaning she can't be employed by any corporate or government organization in Nigeria.

Thanks for your comment, people have preference in life and if theirs doesn't suit yours does it make them f00lish or not bright, just asking?
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by IceColdVeins(m): 1:29pm On Oct 16, 2019
smuggled products can't be taxed truly but corruption within customs can be fought, I mean what was the sole aim of establishing customs, is it not to regulate importation and secure the national gates&ports against injection of contrabands? they are one of the most corrupt para-millitary forces.
A myth even says 'a custom officer never spends his salary'
Customs should be enforced to carry out the only job they have.
Trustworthiness:
m no

I love your thinking. But, how will you collect tax from smuggled goods? If you can't, then how will increase in tax or import duties affect them?
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by blaise00700(m): 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2019
DBestDoc:

Of all the Universities in Nigeria and abroad, it's Benin Republic that your sister chose as a study destination and you guys supported her?

Wahala dey oo.

Mr "know it all", have you heard of Federation for Education in Europe (FEDE), go google about it and find out why she is headed for Benin.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by omohlexy: 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2019
IceColdVeins:
Can someone analyze how the closure of borders will benefit me as an individual?
Cos all I see is inflation and famine.

May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did? they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government&police like a corporate organisation(bottom-up approach), where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed, operations externally audited with impending sanctions for code of conducts breachers, only then the government can function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

America was able to increase tax on imported steel because they were not smuggled. How do you tax a smuggler inside badagry Bush or water?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obi’s Votes Overtake Tinubu’s In Lagos / Nigerians Attack Ike Ekweremadu In Germany / Peter Obi Arrives Late To World Igbo Congress. See What He Did Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.