Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) (74187 Views)

Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by ThatFairGuy: 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2019
May God bless you Sir. We wants a better Nation but don't want to sacrifice for mere time... Most we wallow in destitution for ever
ORIENTATION101:
No amount of emotional blackmail will make Nigeria open the border.
Benin should diversify their economy if they can't get it right .only land border re closed. They can export by air or water legitimately.

Niger state + jigawa+ kwara + plateau all together re bigger than benin republic.

It is better to enrich our local farmer selling 50kg rice 20k than buying cheaply from foreigners and killing our own farmers effort.

The way some nigerians cry of bag rice you will think they buy bag of rice everyday or their families consume bag of rice everyday.

An average Nigerian family cannot finish 1bag of rice in 1 monthcheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by majamajic(m): 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2019
Stevecovey:

Stupid question. What country on earth has their borders open?
Even economically integrated regions like the EU have strict laws governing movement of products across borders.

I guess u are too young to know the meaning of open and close borders

the reason why u said if any country has its borders open

open u think it's gate wide open , abi ?

that's not the meaning of open border. take it easy don't open your ynash here

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by tiwiex(m): 5:21pm On Oct 14, 2019
Authortee:
This is pathetic so we don’t even plant our own tomatoes? Tomatoes that is naturally growing in my backyard and we are importing this from Benin and some dummies are shouting that the border should be opened?
Let’s be reminded that in 1953 Jawalalu Nehru, then president of India ordered that the borders should be closed. The people asked him what why they wear or eat or drive?
He asked them to starve and walk naked. He said how can a country have about 300,000,000 then and not be able to feed itself or provide even its own entertainment. Look at India today?
Buhari should seal that border tight until we can provide our own food. We can’t just be totally big for nothing

I hope we all know international business exists for a reason.

We can as well ban importation of cars since we have innoson or Americans can ban Japanese cars and vice versa since they both produce cars.

It's more complicated that that. This government treat issues too simplistic. What happens if Benin Republic's economy collapses? Mass migration into our already depressed economies. There are always tradeoffs to economic decision. We win more revenue bla bla then we accommodate illegal migrants in Lagos. Weh Don to us.

I like the idea of border control and believe in the long run, we would be better off. However there are also a lot of negative implications in having poor neighbors.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by UncletC: 5:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
the local farmers and manufacturers of local rice re gaining.. they re getting patronage and they re smiling to the bank.
Customs made 300b within 2 months it is part of border closure effect.

Nigeria petrol consumption drop by 8millions litres meaning we re saving subsidy funds on 8millions litres.and more than enough petrol to go round

Many nigerians and stakeholders re now actively participating in rice cultivation which we improve self sufficiency in near future

how did the custom now make 300 billion naira after closing the border? they tax the local farmers? some lies are dangerous... petrol consumption drops? how l wish they ban every overseas travel of any type both for the common masses and politicians so that subsidy will really drop, find another lie

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Orpe7(m): 5:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
Now everyone is hailing buhari
Same wailers that were shouting at him before

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
Benin should diversify their economy if they can't get it right .only land border re closed. They can export by air or water legitimately.

Niger state + jigawa+ kwara + plateau all together re bigger than benin republic.

It is better to enrich our local farmer selling 50kg rice 20k than buying cheaply from foreigners and killing our own farmers effort.

The way some nigerians cry of bag rice you will think they buy bag of rice everyday or their families consume bag of rice everyday.

So, a contraband that comes in through the air or water is no longer a contraband!

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by oloriLFC(f): 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2019
vichaz10:

So ur expecting 5k for 50kg in the space of two month..... undecided undecided
...as per magic na. Lol. We all want things to happen with a snap of our fingers. Na so e dey be?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Commentor: 5:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
babaolofin:

Tomatoes, Onions, assorted type of pepper, goats and cattle are entering freely through borders with their brotherhood bond up North.

What concerns Niger with border closure? Niger is only transit route as an AREWA land with easy access to their AREWA brothers in Nigeria. Maryam Abacha used Nigerian money to build University in Niger, Rabiu Kwankwaso as a serving governor of Kano State built institution in Niger Republic. We have so many of them with interests there. Using Buhari name to canvass for votes in Niger Republic by politicians in Niger Republic or invitation of Niger Republic governor(s) to a political campaign in Nigeria a sovereign state shows the Arewa bond and brotherhood. Maina is not the only Nigerian Arewa with assets built with stolen Nigerian money in Niger. There many of them.

I don't know how many ships berth in Niger or Chad per months compared to weekly traffic at Benin & Togo ports. The traffic at one port alone in Ghana is something else. The border closure is just Benin border closure only.

Are you through with your propaganda?

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:37pm On Oct 14, 2019
teebaxy:
you no get sense.... What are they producing that Can't be produced in Nigeria ... I don't like Buhari but this his decision of closing border is a top notch
Rather you are the fool bro, no country in the whole wide world produces all its needs, I never ask Buhari to reopen the border, all I said was for the two President to find a common ground and come up with a permanent solution to this menace, because people are suffering

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by IceColdVeins(m): 5:38pm On Oct 14, 2019
I asked for analysis but in your bid to sound very smart and informed about the consquences of this irrational policy, you sounded rather inane.
May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did, they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government like a corporate organisation, where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed and operations externally audited, only then the government can function.
You been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!!

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyway Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

TEYA:

It is not about you, its about the country. Go and farm or brace up for hunger. Farmers are working hard to produce rice that no one wants to buy. We can't open our borders for every Tom Dick and Harry to enter and exit at will.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2019
bigtt76:
Sad we are doing this to ourselves as fellow African countries and even sadder that the leadership in Benin republic are not even exploring the option to start exporting this to other countries ...must it come to Nigeria? If Nigeria does not want you, go elsewhere naaa

The Togolese government have been buying from their farmers since Nigeria closed its borders, I think the Beninese government should do the same.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2019
luluman:
So Benin rep should survive at the expense of Nigeria.
So Nigeria should keep the border closed at the expense of ECOWAS free trade zone
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2019
xpool:

I am not a buharist, but I don't care if the tomatoes and all produce from Benin republic rot. I care first about life in Nigeria, all these neighbouring countries don't appreciate us. What do they buy from us? We don't need to import from Benin what they imported. If we have to import, we should do it directly with the primary producing country

That begs the question, is our import duty to high that importers go through Benin?
Good question, our customs have serious questions to answer

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2019
Smartwave:
And kill our own economy?! Taught they don't respect Nigeria, now you see the important of our dear country. Is not a Zoo as you think again.
grin grin Nigeria is never a zoo bro

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by maxiflexy(m): 5:44pm On Oct 14, 2019
frowland:

So we should turn to dumping ground? They should turn them into tin tomatoes.
���
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by achikolo(f): 5:56pm On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by bigtt76(f): 6:02pm On Oct 14, 2019
Exactly!

maxiflexy:

The Togolese government have been buying from their farmers since Nigeria closed its borders, I think the Beninese government should do the same.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by higherpower: 6:05pm On Oct 14, 2019
Let them build tomatoes processing industries

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Peacecoy19: 6:06pm On Oct 14, 2019
olaboy33:
It takes a stubborn person with the right mission,vision and road map to lead Nigeria out of its troubles.

Buhari may be stubborn and have a mission, he clearly doesn't know what a road map is.

By the way, why should we be allowing tomato imports in Nigeria when our own produce is sufficient for us.
There is now what looks like a quality economic advisory committee.Let us roll on.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by olujastro: 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:
I asked for analysis but in your bid to sound very smart and informed about the consquences of this irrational policy, you sounded rather inane.
May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did, they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government like a corporate organisation, where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed and operations externally audited, only then the government can function.
You been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!!

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyway Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

Corruption is a big factor when looking at how things are done in the US or Europe compared to Africa.

Firstly, Benin Republic intentionally refused to police its own borders with Nigeria for decades because smuggling of illegal goods into Nigeria constitutes about 25% of its economic GDP.
Benin Republic practices a leeching economic system where they import what they don't need, collect import duties on them and dump everything into Nigeria that has the market and purchasing power. That's why..."no country can survive economically with a country like Benin Republic as its neighbour"

Even though our corrupt customs are helping them, the Nigerian government expects Benin Republic to do its own part first, hence the border closure.

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:

Body go teh u!!

You made ur points quite alright but its just a ban on importation of goods through the land borders 80% of which are illegal/ substandard goods and that doesn't mean there's a ban on importation through other proper means... It's a good measure although it comes with its flaws too but good all the same

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by olaboy33(m): 6:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
Peacecoy19:
There is now what looks like a quality economic advisory committee.Let us roll on.

Let's hope the 'cabal' take in their advice
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by TEYA: 6:40pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:

Body go teh u!!

You fight corruption not "corruption at the boarders", who does that? And then to your America analogy, you are mixing up smuggling with importation, please draw the line. Those guys bring in cars, we did not stop them, they do not need to be flooding our country with nonsense rice and tomatoes. No developed country became great by opening their borders and flooding their country with stuff they can make, prove me wrong. And then did you say law of supply? If the price of rice soars on, a great many people will go into rice farming including me, and many wealthy investors will go into it and as the supply rises, the price will naturally go down. What Buhari did is right, I applaud him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Pavarottii(m): 6:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
the local farmers and manufacturers of local rice re gaining.. they re getting patronage and they re smiling to the bank.
Customs made 300b within 2 months it is part of border closure effect.

Nigeria petrol consumption drop by 8millions litres meaning we re saving subsidy funds on 8millions litres.and more than enough petrol to go round

Many nigerians and stakeholders re now actively participating in rice cultivation which we improve self sufficiency in near future

U think u r doing people , u r doing urself, family and the future of ur children...

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Pavarottii(m): 6:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
Esseite:
If rice is expensive, switch to maize, millet, beans, etc

Belle no know food..
Why didn't u say SAND N STONES...

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Pavarottii(m): 6:47pm On Oct 14, 2019
RichDad1:
From time memorial , Nigeria has been the one sustaining Benin republic economy at the detriment of ours.
They’re nothing but leeches.
To those complaining about rice , why can’t the importers berth their cargos at our ports ? Why always Cotonou ? Because they give them lesser duties and smuggle everything into Nigeria all in the name of Ecowas trade crappy trade pact.
Is it that fault we don't export?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
maxiflexy:
This is so sad, extremely bad, President Talon of Benin should find a way to appease Buhari and bring an end to this endless suffering of his people. embarassed embarassed

lalasticlala

Nigerian are cursing Buhari, Now Benin Rep will soon join

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by frowland(m): 7:43pm On Oct 14, 2019
maxiflexy:

Mhen this is ECOWAS, Nigeria claims to be the leader of the subregion, if we showing bad Example, that ain't good

Forget that ecowas talk for now. We don't need smuggled tomatoes. They should pay the import tax or better still feed them to their poor.
Dangote hinted this Benin and Niger when he was speaking on a forum I attended last year. We don't need all those shits anymore. Either you are with the Nigerian farmers or you are against.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Chicastle: 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
I don't understand. abeg which of the border is closing? Nigeria or Benedict sorry Benin? who and who was importing and exporting? Nigeria export baby tomato to Benin? Or Benin imports to the shithol? Abeg I no to well please
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Dreew(f): 8:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
Authortee:
This is pathetic so we don’t even plant our own tomatoes? Tomatoes that is naturally growing in my backyard and we are importing this from Benin and some dummies are shouting that the border should be opened?
Let’s be reminded that in 1953 Jawalalu Nehru, then president of India ordered that the borders should be closed. The people asked him what why they wear or eat or drive?
He asked them to starve and walk naked. He said how can a country have about 300,000,000 then and not be able to feed itself or provide even its own entertainment. Look at India today?
Buhari should seal that border tight until we can provide our own food. We can’t just be totally big for nothing

Didn't know this. Didn't know tomatoes were imported.
Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

What I said is the bitter truth. Intelligence has no room for propaganda. I am yet to see an intelligent reaction. Those concerned already got my messages even outside Nigeria. What is the reason while immigration officers harassed Togolese at Akinyele a rural settlement at Ibadan where International Cattle Market and goat market are located but claimed they cannot identify the Niger & Chad people because the market leaders claimed they are all Arewa.

The Maryam Abacha American University in Niger Republic and the institution established in Niger Republic by Rabiu Kwakwanso when he was a sitting governor of Kano State and all other instances of brotherhood and collusion I raised are too technical for you, they are turechi in your language, so they are propaganda to you. The message is for matured mind.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Rotten Tomatoes Line Roads In Benin Republic (Photos) by babajero(m): 8:42pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:

And when will your president close the border against Fulani herdsmen and other murderous Fulanis?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rivers State House Of Assembly By-election Results Update / Imam Oladejo, Igboho’s Cleric Explains Why He Has Not Disappeared From Custody / Nyesom Wike Meets With Cristiano Ronaldo In Spain (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.