Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? (1062 Views)

Man Narrates His Encounter With An Electrician Who Thinks He Is A Prophet / We Are Waiting: Fr. Mbaka: I’ll Resign As Prophet If There Will Be No 5 Hours... / Rev. Mbaka To Resign As Prophet If This Doesn't Happen On October 1 (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Preciousgirl(f): 3:44pm On Oct 15, 2019
Can one claim prophetic gift if he operates in dream level?

Thanks
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by greatnaija01: 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2019
Preciousgirl:

Can one claim prophetic gift if he operates in dream level?

Thanks

ok, there is a difference from MINISTRY and OFFICE.

a GIFT is FREE while an OFFICE is based on APPOINTMENT.

So there is one who sees dreams as a GIFT but is not CALLED INTO THE OFFICE OF A PROPHET.

There is another who MAY or MAY NOT see in dreams but understands TIMES and SEASONS by the WORD OF GOD.... and is actually called to be a MAJOR PROPHET.

What many in AFRICA call prophetic is merely WORD OF KNOWLEDGE....

WORD OF KNOWLEDGE is about the PAST
WORD OF WISDOM is about the present
while the PROPHETIC is about the future.

So i believe you know the HOLYGHOST.... the book of JOHN says he shows us THINGS TO COME.
John 16:13 However, when the Spirit of truth ...
He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (THIS IS FOR EVERY CHILD OF GOD)

So the bible says Acts 2:17 ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

so you see, whatever is happening to your dream is from these scriptures... it is NOT a SPECIAL OFFICE... but the GENERAL ONE WHERE EVERYONE WHO HAS THE HOLYGHOST IS NATURALLY EXPECTED TO SEE...

I hope it is clear. I celebrate you.

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by LoveJesus87(m): 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2019
greatnaija01:

So there is one who sees dreams as a GIFT but is not CALLED INTO THE OFFICE OF A PROPHET.

There is another who MAY or MAY NOT see in dreams but understands TIMES and SEASONS by the WORD OF GOD.... and is actually called to be a MAJOR PROPHET.

So i believe you know the HOLYGHOST.... the book of JOHN says he shows us THINGS TO COME.
John 16:13 However, when the Spirit of truth ...
He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (THIS IS FOR EVERY CHILD OF GOD)

So the bible says Acts 2:17 ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

so you see, whatever is happening to your dream is from these scriptures... it is NOT a SPECIAL OFFICE... but the GENERAL ONE WHERE EVERYONE WHO HAS THE HOLYGHOST IS NATURALLY EXPECTED TO SEE...

I hope it is clear. I celebrate you.
thank you very much for your insight. I dream a lot and God speaks to me through dreams. What I want to ask you is about the gift of word of wisdom. For example, I am looking for something or enquiring about the specific location of something and I had a dream giving me the exact location of that thing. Is that gift of word of wisdom? Or just ordinary divine response to prayer?
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by greatnaija01: 6:13pm On Oct 15, 2019
LoveJesus87:
thank you very much for your insight. I dream a lot and God speaks to me through dreams. What I want to ask you is about the gift of word of wisdom. For example, I am looking for something or enquiring about the specific location of something and I had a dream giving me the exact location of that thing. Is that gift of word of wisdom? Or just ordinary divine response to prayer?

wow, thank God for such experience o
That is NOT word of wisdom
that is simply and answer to prayer by REVELATION.

REVELATION is insight... when it is about the past it is called WORD OF KNOWLEDGE...
when REVELATION predicts the future it is called FORETELLING which is an angle of the PROPHETIC.

but

WHEN it shows the present it is NOT word of wisdom... it is just called REVELATION.

so you are having a wonderful experience BUT WORD OF WISDOM IS WHEN GOD GIVES YOU UNCOMMON REVELATION/INSIGHT ON A CURRENT PROBLEM OR CONFUSING ISSUE and IT WORKS.

WISDOM ALWAYS WORKS....

MANY WHO SEE THE FUTURE DO NOT USUALLY HAVE WISDOM ON HOW TO HANDLE IT... this is why we have many who say they say this and that and it never comes to pass... NOT because they are false prophets but simply because they did not UNDERSTAND what they saw...

THE BOOK OF REVELATION Practically shows this, JOHN was shown many things and when he was asked, he would always say LORD THOU KNOWEST.... only God knows the full meaning of what he shows us, when YOU SEE ANYTHING, always knows it is a BAIT GOD USES TO DRAW YOU DEEPER IN COMMUNION WITH HIM.... never interpret what God shows you with your own understanding... you may be grossly wrong.

so that is how it is.

4 Likes

Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Preciousgirl(f): 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2019
greatnaija01:

REVELATION is insight... when it is about the past it is called WORD OF KNOWLEDGE...
when REVELATION predicts the future it is called FORETELLING which is an angle of the PROPHETIC.

but

WHEN it shows the present it is NOT word of wisdom... it is just called REVELATION.

so you are having a wonderful experience BUT WORD OF WISDOM IS WHEN GOD GIVES YOU UNCOMMON REVELATION/INSIGHT ON A CURRENT PROBLEM OR CONFUSING ISSUE and IT WORKS.

WISDOM ALWAYS WORKS....

MANY WHO SEE THE FUTURE DO NOT USUALLY HAVE WISDOM ON HOW TO HANDLE IT... this is why we have many who say they say this and that and it never comes to pass... NOT because they are false prophets but simply because they did not UNDERSTAND what they saw...

THE BOOK OF REVELATION Practically shows this, JOHN was shown many things and when he was asked, he would always say LORD THOU KNOWEST.... only God knows the full meaning of what he shows us, when YOU SEE ANYTHING, always knows it is a BAIT GOD USES TO DRAW YOU DEEPER IN COMMUNION WITH HIM.... never interpret what God shows you with your own understanding... you may be grossly wrong.

so that is how it is.

Wow, great exposition

I now understand that God speaks to men through dreams

What does it mean to be asked to preach to some notable men of God in your dream?
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Kenneth4u205(m): 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2019
Yes .most prophet in the bible usually dream dreams .majority of them receive revelation in dreams .only few prophet in the bible receive revelation with their eyes open .only prophet moses .the rest get revelation in their dreame
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2019
greatnaija01:

@Preciousgirl

Correction.

Word of knowledge is about the past and present.

Word of wisdom is mostly misinterpreted as prophecy- Word of wisdom is about the future and it also works hand in hand with word of knowledge, while the word of knowledge reveals the past and present , the word of wisdom solved the problems of the revealed issues.

prophecy is simply supernatural utterance in a known tongue, and is simply used for edification, exhortation and comfort and doesn't necessarily foretell the future as many people say.

And you are correct by saying prophesying or having the gift of the word of knowledge doesn't make one a prophet, cos prophetic office is a calling and it's different from the gift of prophecy, however every true prophet must have at least 2 of out of the 3 gifts mentioned above.
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by LoveJesus87(m): 9:39am On Oct 16, 2019
greatnaija01:

but

WISDOM ALWAYS WORKS....

so that is how it is.
May the blessings of God multiply exceedingly upon you in Jesus mighty name. Thank you. I don dey do shakara up and down say I get word of wisdom o grin u don burst my shakara now. May God have mercy on you grin
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 16, 2019
@greatnaija01 in a situation where by you see it in dream and you declared it and it comes to pass, isn't that prophetic. I remember vividly in a certain year a brother heard in his night vision or dream rather, that a great distress is going to happen in the world on a certain day, he declared it and declared that particular date and on that day there was a great earthquake in the South America that took many lives, does that makes him a prophet.
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2019
Preciousgirl:

Wow, great exposition

I now understand that God speaks to men through dreams

What does it mean to be asked to preach to some notable men of God in your dream?
Yes He has done that since ages past.

Used dreams to instruct His own severally and also reveal to them things to come.

A times He even gives dreams to certain persons of the world, but gave the interpretations of the dreams solely to His own prophets.

And from some of your recent posts, I believe He's already in the process of fulfiling the dream He gave to you of preaching to notable church leaders, because you were already showing the passion and orientation required to do so.

Though your appointed time may not have come yet, but the signs are already manifesting as it was in the instance of Jesus teaching and preaching to the teachers and leaders of the Jews long before His appointed time came.

God bless.
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by greatnaija01: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2019
LoveJesus87:
May the blessings of God multiply exceedingly upon you in Jesus mighty name. Thank you. I don dey do shakara up and down say I get word of wisdom o grin u don burst my shakara now. May God have mercy on you grin

Ha, I believe you have it in excess... just exercise your faith... I only explained so everyone can ACTIVATE IT without waiting for one special impartation.... since it may be lying dormant in every child of God who has the holy spirit.

THEY ARE GIFTS... so its free... GIFTS CAME WITH THE HOLYGHOST WHEN HE CAME INTO YOUR LIFE.... So you are right, you have it.

2 Likes

Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by greatnaija01: 7:47pm On Oct 16, 2019
Tosinex:
@greatnaija01 in a situation where by you see it in dream and you declared it and it comes to pass, isn't that prophetic. I remember vividly in a certain year a brother heard in his night vision or dream rather, that a great distress is going to happen in the world on a certain day, he declared it and declared that particular date and on that day there was a great earthquake in the South America that took many lives, does that makes him a prophet.

YES O... the angles of the prophetic SIGHTS are DREAMS, TRANCES, OPEN VISIONS.

so emphatically yes.
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Dec 07, 2023
Preciousgirl:
Can one claim prophetic gift if he operates in dream level? Thanks
The problem of prophets was made by the God of Israel to the people of Israel after they requested that He speak to them through prophets. God of Israel stated that He would reveal Himself to them through visions and speak to them through dreams. undecided
1. Miriam and Aaron began to talk against Moses. They criticized him because he married an Ethiopian[a] woman.
2 They said to themselves, “Moses is not the only one the Lord has used to speak to the people. He has also spoken through us!” The Lord heard this.
3 (Moses was a very humble man. He was more humble than any other man on earth.)
4 So suddenly, the Lord came and spoke to Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. He said, “You three, come to the Meeting Tent, now!” So Moses, Aaron, and Miriam went to the Tent.
5 The Lord came down in the tall cloud and stood at the entrance to the Tent. He called out, “Aaron and Miriam!” They went to him.
6 God said, “Listen to me! You will have prophets. I, the Lord, will let them learn about me through visions. I will speak to them in dreams.
7 But Moses is not like that. He is my faithful servant—I trust him with everyone in my house.
8 When I speak to him, I talk face-to-face with him. I don’t use stories with hidden meanings—I show him clearly what I want him to know. And Moses can look at the very image of the Lord. So why were you brave enough to speak against my servant Moses?” - Numbers 12 vs 3 - 7 - Numbers 12 vs 1 - 8
This was all before the people of Israel entered into the promised land and revealed that they were deserving of God's judgment in the end, in connection of which God revealed through a vision to Daniel that in the last days, He would put a seal on visions and prophets — a close to it in the land.
20 I was praying to the Lord my God about his holy mountain and telling about my sins and the sins of the people of Israel.
21 That was the time of the evening sacrifices. While I was still praying, Gabriel, the one I saw in the first vision, flew quickly to me and touched me. He came at the time of the evening sacrifice.
22 Gabriel helped me understand the things I wanted to know. He said, “Daniel, I have come to give you wisdom and to help you understand.
23 When you first started praying, the command was given to come speak to you. God loves you very much! You will understand this command, and you will understand the vision.
24 “God has allowed 70 weeks[e] for your people and your holy city, Daniel. The 70 weeks are ordered for these reasons: to stop doing bad things, to stop sinning, to make people pure, to bring the goodness that continues forever, to put a seal on visions and prophets, and to dedicate a very holy place. - Daniel 9 vs 20 - 24
The last days described in Daniel 9 took place about 1900 years ago right before God finally judged all of Israel in the generation that was Jesus Christ and His disciples, just as Jesus Christ said it would happen, bringing to a close, the age of salvation under the Old Law of Moses. undecided

Jesus Christ never promised to send prophets in His name, nor did He bestow the ability to see visions and dream dreams on His followers. Jesus Christ never promised the gift of prophecy to any of His followers — nowhere in the Gospel is this even hinted at. Jesus Christ made known, however, that John the Baptist was the last of the Old Covenant prophets sent by God to the people of Israel. undecided

Therefore, those who persuade you that they have dreams and see visions and are hence prophets of the God of Israel are liars — wolves in sheep's clothing. undecided
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2023
greatnaija01:
ok, there is a difference from MINISTRY and OFFICE. a GIFT is FREE while an OFFICE is based on APPOINTMENT. So there is one who sees dreams as a GIFT but is not CALLED INTO THE OFFICE OF A PROPHET. There is another who MAY or MAY NOT see in dreams but understands TIMES and SEASONS by the WORD OF GOD.... and is actually called to be a MAJOR PROPHET. What many in AFRICA call prophetic is merely WORD OF KNOWLEDGE.... WORD OF KNOWLEDGE is about the PAST WORD OF WISDOM is about the present while the PROPHETIC is about the future. So i believe you know the HOLYGHOST.... the book of JOHN says he shows us THINGS TO COME. John 16:13 However, when the Spirit of truth ... He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (THIS IS FOR EVERY CHILD OF GOD) So the bible says Acts 2:17 ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. so you see, whatever is happening to your dream is from these scriptures... it is NOT a SPECIAL OFFICE... but the GENERAL ONE WHERE EVERYONE WHO HAS THE HOLYGHOST IS NATURALLY EXPECTED TO SEE... I hope it is clear. I celebrate you.
This narrative you present is taken from the doctrines and traditions of men(lies) and not from the Truth of God Himself, I am afraid. undecided

Jesus Christ never promised to speak to His disciples via dreams and visions, so associating dreams and visions with Jesus Christ is erroneous. undecided

God of Israel promised He would communicate with those whom He made prophets of His Old Law via dreams and visions- Numbers 12 vs 1 - 8. Later on , God of Israel declared that He would put a seal on all visions and prophets at the end of the Last days - Daniel 9 vs 24. This promise was scheduled to come after God of Israel had poured out His Spirit on all sons and daughters and all men in the land of Judah in the Land at the time - Joel 2 vs 28 - 31 - resulting in all becoming prophets —seeing visions and dreaming dreams as prophets would. This all happened over 1900 years ago and closed at the end as God said it all would. undecided

Jesus Christ never said a word about dreams or visions being available through Him to His followers. The revelations He spoke of that would come through His very own Spirit of Truth did not include any mention of visions and dreams. Jesus Christ stated His Spirit would speak through those whom He lives on the inside of...
26 “I will send you the Helper[e] from the Father. The Helper is the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father. When he comes, he will tell about me.
27 And you will tell people about me too, because you have been with me from the beginning. - John 15 vs 26 - 27
..., telling about Himself. undecided
25 “I have told you all these things while I am with you.
26 But the Helper will teach you everything and cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name. - John 14 vs 25 - 26
Not once did Jesus Christ mention the helper employing dreams and visions. undecided
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Explore2xmore: 5:31pm On Dec 09, 2023
Just saying though.
The Holy spirit has pretty much been around for a long time.

Ezekiel’s Call to Be a Prophet
1 He said to me, “Son of man, stand up on your feet and I will speak to you.”
2 As he spoke, the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.
3 He said: “Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have been in revolt against me to this very day.

Genesis 1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The Word of God represents the divine revelation and communication of God's will and purpose.

The Holy Spirit has been present throughout history, working in the lives of believers before, during and after the time of Jesus.

During the time of Jesus, the Holy Spirit's role becomes even more pronounced as Jesus himself is described as being filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1)

Just saying wink
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Dec 09, 2023
Explore2xmore:
■ Just saying though.
The Holy spirit has pretty much been around for a long time.
Ezekiel’s Call to Be a Prophet
1 He said to me, “Son of man, stand up on your feet and I will speak to you.”
2 As he spoke, the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.
3 He said: “Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have been in revolt against me to this very day.

Genesis 1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
The Word of God represents the divine revelation and communication of God's will and purpose. The Holy Spirit has been present throughout history, working in the lives of believers before, during and after the time of Jesus. During the time of Jesus, the Holy Spirit's role becomes even more pronounced as Jesus himself is described as being filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:1) Just saying wink
1. The title of Holy Spirit in the Old Law of Moses went to the Spirit of Eternal Life. However, the title goes to the Spirit of Truth in the New Covenant, Jesus Christ. (The Spirit of Eternal Life is offered freely to those who are born-again in Christ but the Spirit of Truth must be attained by all those who wish to become of Jesus Christ after becoming born-again.) They are two different Spirits. Both have indeed been there from even before the beginning. They were also there in the garden of Eden — the Tree of Life(Eternal Life) and the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil(Truth). undecided
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Explore2xmore: 3:08pm On Dec 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. The title of Holy Spirit in the Old Law of Moses went to the Spirit of Eternal Life. However, the title goes to the Spirit of Truth in the New Covenant, Jesus Christ. (The Spirit of Eternal Life is offered freely to those who are born-again in Christ but the Spirit of Truth must be attained by all those who wish to become of Jesus Christ after becoming born-again.) They are two different Spirits. Both have indeed been there from even before the beginning. They were also there in the garden of Eden — the Tree of Life(Eternal Life) and the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil(Truth). undecided

New covenant, old covenant or current covenant; how well are these adhered to? If the creator remains the same what exactly does he want of his creation? Be true to self first and live your to your best amongst others.

The spirit of eternal life is often viewed as a source of hope and comfort, particularly in times of grief and loss. How can this be meaningful if it lacks truth? We should be less critically philosophical as it is not that difficult to tell the truth except we rather get lost in philosophy.

The spirit of eternal life and the spirit of truth are interconnected concepts that have the power to inspire and guide individuals towards a deeper understanding of the ultimate nature of existence.

Whatever our individual convictions it is best we act best on them regardless of the views of another. There's no point trying to enforce individual convictions on another.

Best regards.
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Kobojunkiee: 5:59pm On Dec 10, 2023
Explore2xmore:
New covenant, old covenant or current covenant; how well are these adhered to? If the creator remains the same what exactly does he want of his creation? Be true to self first and live your to your best amongst others.
The spirit of eternal life is often viewed as a source of hope and comfort, particularly in times of grief and loss. How can this be meaningful if it lacks truth? We should be less critically philosophical as it is not that difficult to tell the truth except we rather get lost in philosophy.
The spirit of eternal life and the spirit of truth are interconnected concepts that have the power to inspire and guide individuals towards a deeper understanding of the ultimate nature of existence.
Whatever our individual convictions it is best we act best on them regardless of the views of another. There's no point trying to enforce individual convictions on another. Best regards
I fail to see what any of these private ideas of yours have to do with that which is established in Scripture and remains the same eternally. undecided
Re: Are You A Prophet If God Speaks With You Only In Dreams? by Explore2xmore: 8:15pm On Dec 10, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
I fail to see what any of these private ideas of yours have to do with that which is established in Scripture and remains the same eternally. undecided

Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Does God Truly Exist? / Sell One Of Your Jet To Pay For The Ransom, Nigerians Tell Apostle Suleman / Do Africans Have Any Widespread Religion Before The Advent Of The Europeans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.