Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US (42702 Views)

Nigerians Arriving Dubai Are Detained And Their Passports Seized (Video) / 3 Nigerians Detained For Entering India Without Documents / Ogun: People Scoop Palm Oil Accidentally Discharged From Oil Tanker (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Legendguru: 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by salford: 7:38pm On Oct 16, 2019
planetx:
If they don't need visas what is the point of crossing illegally, confused because it says they were refused visa before.
They have been denied entry before this event. might be why they are trying to take the non legal route.
Having a visa free passport doesn't mean you could stroll into another country like boss. Despite being a Canadian, If I have no job, good finance or strong home ties to Canada, I would likely be sent back to Canada by a US border officer.
They even discriminate more if you are a Muslim.
It's now becoming easier for a US Green card holder (visa free to Canada) to visit Canada than for a Canadian passport holder to visit the US.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/national/rejection-rate-on-the-rise-for-canadians-at-us-border/article34262237/

Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Xpol: 8:24pm On Oct 16, 2019
As British citizens they can enter the US visa free so why should I believe they wanted to enter illegally
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by salford: 8:35pm On Oct 16, 2019
Xpol:
As British citizens they can enter the US visa free so why should I believe they wanted to enter illegally
Visa free doesn't mean automatic entry to any country. Read post above.
If an American or British was flying or driving into Canada, they would still be subject to interview by a Canada border officer.

The family in this post have been previously denied entry to US for some reasons we do not know.

Do you know Mexican passport is visa free to Canada? yet they get turned back alot at the airport. If a quick background checks bring up a criminal record or a DUI, it is automatic denial.

Last time I travelled to UK, my family was interviewed by the UKBA officer despite travelling on Canadian passports. If he suspects that we might abuse our stay, he could deny us entry.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/right-wing-journalist-lauren-southern-denied-entry-to-uk-purportedly-over-criticism-of-islam.amp

Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Beautyaddy: 8:37pm On Oct 16, 2019
Xpol:

That's only if the British citizen has not abused or overstayed the 90 days legal presence in the US which is required for the visa-free privileges.

If the British citizen abused such visa-free privileges to the US that person will no longer enjoy the visa-free rights but will hence forth need to apply for US visa at the US embassy in London.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by CTPlayer: 9:23pm On Oct 16, 2019
lloyds:

USA are too proud. . That's their major problem. . They fill every other nation is inferior whereas Canada possess much better environment and structures and the US.
There is virtually no difference with environment nor structures between the 2 countries. Engineering and building codes will be very much the same, both former British founded colonies. However more Canadians and Europeans live in the USA than vice versa. Europeans are 6 times more likely to live in the USA than vice versa.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by salford: 10:12pm On Oct 16, 2019
lloyds:

USA are too proud. . That's their major problem. . They feel every other nation is inferior whereas Canada possess much better environment and structures than the US.
Canada may have a cleaner environment due to the many lakes and lower population, however, I highly doubt if Canada or any other country in the world has more structures or better engineering than the US.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Xpol: 1:14am On Oct 17, 2019
salford:

Visa free doesn't mean automatic entry to any country. Read post above.
If an American or British was flying or driving into Canada, they would still be subject to interview by a Canada border officer.

The family in this post have been previously denied entry to US for some reasons we do not know.

Do you know Mexican passport is visa free to Canada? yet they get turned back alot at the airport. If a quick background checks bring up a criminal record or a DUI, it is automatic denial.

Last time I travelled to UK, my family was interviewed by the UKBA officer despite travelling on Canadian passports. If he suspects that we might abuse our stay, he could deny us entry.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/right-wing-journalist-lauren-southern-denied-entry-to-uk-purportedly-over-criticism-of-islam.amp
well but I didn't read anything about being previously denied entry
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Xpol: 1:22am On Oct 17, 2019
Beautyaddy:

That's only if the British citizen has not abused or overstayed the 90 days legal presence in the US which is required for the visa-free privileges.

If the British citizen abused such visa-free privileges to the US that person will no longer enjoy the visa-free rights but will hence forth need to apply for US visa at the US embassy in London.
but nothing to show this family had once abused their privilege sir.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by bigfrancis21: 2:34am On Oct 17, 2019
fabienjoe:

*Two couples*. Are they two families The story suggests one family so that should read *A couple*...But what type of animal are you avoiding to make you take a completely different route, to the point of crossing a country's border? Something diesnt add up...Could it be they were actually intending migrants? I know many British people seek immigration to Australia and Canada but they always do so legally. They have enough comfort at home so won't go through the stress of illegal immigration. Or are these ones running away from debt?

Two different couples actually, one couple with a son and the other couple with twin daughters.

1 Like

Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Beautyaddy: 3:49am On Oct 17, 2019
Xpol:
but nothing to show this family had once abused their privilege sir.

Read the entire article again...two of those people were denied entry into the US in the past. Go figure.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Surrey2Bimshire: 3:56am On Oct 17, 2019
Trivalence:

True...

A British family who claimed they “accidentally” entered into the United States has been alleged to have “deliberately” crossed the border according to US officials.

http://lanrenews.com/jailed-british-tourists-entered-us-deliberately/

If they really want to drive to The US they should have applied for an Esta/Eta this story is somewhat dodgy.
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Surrey2Bimshire: 4:07am On Oct 17, 2019
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Surrey2Bimshire: 4:08am On Oct 17, 2019
planetx:
I thought British citizens don't need Visa to visit the US.

British passport holder needs an Eta/Esta to travel to the USA or Canada (Via online application and it’s gets issued same day ) and that’s it .
And if you get denied , you’ll have to visit the nearest embassy to reapply .
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by Surrey2Bimshire: 4:11am On Oct 17, 2019
planetx:
If they don't need visas what is the point of crossing illegally, confused because it says they were refused visa before.

British passport holder needs an Eta/Esta to travel to the USA or Canada (Via online application and it’s gets issued same day ) and that’s it .
And if you get denied , you’ll have to visit the nearest embassy/consulate to reapply .
Re: British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US by salford1: 5:04am On Oct 17, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NLC Locks Down Abuja Airport, Many Stranded / Passengers Burnt Beyond Recognition In Obollo Afor, Enugu Road (Graphic Photos) / A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.