Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,172 members, 7,815,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331202 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Savagethe21st(m): 4:37pm On Jun 15, 2020
Priwillo:
After my mobile app development journey with flutter, I am learning data science. Your thread has motivated me
bro why leave mobike dev fr data science?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Johnny32: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2020
I am really happy to be in this thread, Thanks to all here. I just finished studying mathematics in school and I started learning data science during this period with sololearn app.
I am already progressing and I am learning a lot of things fast(I have foundation in maths,statistics and computer science) using about at least six hours each day in learning python, excel, power bi, machine learning, mysql e.t c from different sources Any recommendations and advice would be useful

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
Johnny32:
I am really happy to be in this thread, Thanks to all here. I just finished studying mathematics in school and I started learning data science during this period with sololearn app.
I am already progressing and I am learning a lot of things fast(I have foundation in maths,statistics and computer science) using about at least six hours each day in learning python, excel, power bi, machine learning, mysql e.t c from different sources Any recommendations and advice would be useful

Why not learn them sequentially ( one after the other) ??...so while learning the next course, you can take time to practice the one's you are done with...
Anyways i'll advice you to learn python as a whole first before going into its data science libraries ( i.e learn both python for web dev. And Data analysis..)...Add Tableau to the list too..
Also, Remove ML from the list till you are grounded in python data science libraries( numpy , pandas and co.)....
Finally, save up and get a system to enable you practice alot....DONT JUST LEARN, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
GL cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Johnny32: 7:12pm On Jun 15, 2020
Zabiboy:

Why not learn them sequentially ( one after the other) ??...so while learning the next course, you can take time to practice the one's you are done with...
Anyways i'll advice you to learn python as a whole first before going into its data science libraries ( i.e learn both python for web dev. And Data analysis..)...Add Tableau to the list too..
Also, Remove ML from the list till you are grounded in python data science libraries( numpy , pandas and co.)....
Finally, save up and get a system to enable you practice alot....DONT JUST LEARN, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
GL cool

Thanks so much for the info. I guess I have to practice python a lot. However, learning most of them is not really challenging for me unlike practicing them. I noticed that most of what I am learning have things in common. I already have a system for these things so I would appreciate links to download these necessary softwares to practice them
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by teewhydope(m): 10:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
cochtrane:

Yes, it's possible to just assess the raw file directly using this link

I've tried scraping NL website to get your exact dataset but ive only had luck with links and title. i think i should be able to scrape author too from each thread. i want to understand the concept behind the sections column and the last two columns(frontpagedate and posteddate) because nairaland doesn't group posts by date and time. ive completed BS4 documentaion but i still don't know how to go about it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ibromodzi: 11:56pm On Jun 15, 2020
Does anyone know how to permanently suppress __pycache__ in pycharm?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by sammitebest: 12:09am On Jun 16, 2020
Thank you so much for this thread.
Pls my question is...
Did you get certified after learning those languages and add it your resume when applying for those jobs?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mayprince(m): 1:58am On Jun 16, 2020
dollyj1996:
bro,which video tutorial did u use for ur excel lesson?

Excelisfun
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Dum20: 7:41am On Jun 16, 2020
Zabiboy:

GL cool

Bro can you throw more light on the bolded?
There are some courses that introduce Python and their libraries and then apply it to Data Science.

Do you mean it is not a good approach?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 7:54am On Jun 16, 2020
Dum20:

Bro can you throw more light on the bolded?
There are some courses that introduce Python and their libraries and then apply it to Data Science.

Do you mean it is not a good approach?

1) Some matplotlib projects would need you to define functions, create class and return certain values....Also Advanced Python Pandas ( interactive analysis) would need you to define functions too and maybe use the "LAMBDA" function and other functions....I DONT THINK going directly into python data science libraries teaches explicitly how these stuffs works...
2) it gives you a fundamental knowledge of web development using python and if you later decide to get some knowledge about web development, it wont be hard..
GL cool
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by cochtrane(m): 10:27am On Jun 16, 2020
teewhydope:

I've tried scraping NL website to get your exact dataset but ive only had luck with links and title. i think i should be able to scrape author too from each thread. i want to understand the concept behind the sections column and the last two columns(frontpagedate and posteddate) because nairaland doesn't group posts by date and time. ive completed BS4 documentaion but i still don't know how to go about it.
The sections column is the section to which the post belong. Could be politics, romance, etc.? The frontpagedate is the date and time the post made front page, while the posteddate is the date and time the thread was actually created.
When you parse each title on the frontpage, you will see that it has a date and time associated with it. For the section and posteddate, you would have to go into the links and extract that. So, for each link you obtain, you go inside the link and you can obtain as much information as you want about that link. You could even obtain all the users who posted there and the time they posted.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Evanspaul(m): 12:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
yemyke001:
I got a best-score of 82% for this competition, who else got something better biko
Bro I need ur help with something. Sent u a pm
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nappy760(m): 12:55pm On Jun 16, 2020

7 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 12:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
Zabiboy:

GL cool
I'm done with Python basics (functions, lists, tuples, dictionaries, conditional statements). Am I good to move to data science libraries?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 1:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
I'm done with Python basics (functions, lists, tuples, dictionaries, conditional statements). Am I good to move to data science libraries?

How long did it take you to learn all this?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:

Nope..not yet...
What of loops, lambda, hierachies, class, map, reduce, generators, iterators e.t.c....
Note: i'm not saying you'll need all of these...but i advice you learn them...
In matplotlib and pandas, you'll need them bcz you'll be defining functions and you might have to use one or more of those stuffs i listed above
GL cool
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Regards2U: 1:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hi guys. Udacity X Aws machine learning scholarship is on and it's been available for over a month now.

Deadline is July 31st
Top 325 will be offered machine learning nanodegrees from udacity

Start with the foundation course ace it (the quizzes) and hope for the best

The link: https://www.udacity.com/scholarships/aws-machine-learning-scholarship-program

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Priwillo: 1:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Savagethe21st:
bro why leave mobike dev fr data science?

Am not leaving. Its just machine learning part I wanna incorporate into app
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 1:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
Zabiboy:

Nope..not yet...
What of loops, lambda, hierachies, class, map, reduce, generators, iterators e.t.c....
In matplotlib and pandas, you'll need them bcz you'll be defining functions and you might have to use one or more of those stuffs i listed above
GL cool

Thanks.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2020
Raalsalghul:

How long did it take you to learn all this?
Less than a month.
Zabiboy:

Nope..not yet...
GL cool
I've done loops but the book I'm using (automate the boring stuff) doesn't have lambda, heriachies, class, map, reduce, generators and iterators. Any recommendation?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 2:02pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
Less than a month.I've done loops but the book I'm using (automate the boring stuff) doesn't have lambda, heriachies, class, map, reduce, generators and iterators. Any recommendation?

Hmmm, same as you here. Though I intend to learn the basics for 3 months before going into its libraries. sad
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 2:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Hmmm, same as you here. Though I intend to learn the basics for 3 months before going into its libraries. sad
3 months? That's too much for just basics.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 2:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
Less than a month.I've done loops but the book I'm using (automate the boring stuff) doesn't have lambda, heriachies, class, map, reduce, generators and iterators. Any recommendation?

I used a guy named Navin Reddy of Telusko( channel name)....
I think Brad traversy was mentioned earlier in this thread but i dont know how deep he went cz i dint use him...
I prefer watching videos to reading books...so i cant recommend books

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 2:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
Zabiboy:

I used a guy named Navin Reddy of Telusko( channel name)....
I think Brad traversy was mentioned earlier in this thread but i dont know how deep he went cz i dint use him...
I prefer watching videos to reading books...so i cant recommend books
Alright, thanks. I'll check him out.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by yemyke001(m): 3:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
Evanspaul:

Bro I need ur help with something. Sent u a pm

Use this mail...my NL account is not linked to my mail... yemyke@gmail.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 5:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
3 months? That's too much for just basics.
Is it? I believe in using different sources and truth be told I've learnt the basics you posted up there, but i still feel inadequate.
Way way inadequate.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Is it? I believe in using different sources and truth be told I've learnt the basics you posted up there, but i still feel inadequate.
Way way inadequate.
You'll perfect everything as you grow. Even established programmers reference learning materials once in a while.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 6:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
You'll perfect everything as you grow. Even established programmers reference learning materials once in a while.

You have a point bro, thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Abcruz(m): 10:53pm On Jun 16, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Way way inadequate.

You can never know everything in Python because no one does. As you begin to apply your knowledge on end to end projects, you'll understand more of that which you think you don't know.

I learnt Python basics for about 3weeks before moving on to it's libraries.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
Abcruz:

You can never know everything in Python because no one does. As you begin to apply your knowledge on end to end projects, you'll understand more of that which you think you don't know.

I learnt Python basics for about 3weeks before moving on to it's libraries.
I want to move to either libraries or sql. Which is better to touch first?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Abcruz(m): 11:31pm On Jun 16, 2020
BoleAndFish:
I want to move to either libraries or sql. Which is better to touch first?

Learning only Python basics is just a way of scratching the surface. The application of Python libraries in analyzing data is the real deal. So learn and apply instead of jumping ship.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lymelyte(m): 11:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
Dsholla:
someone pls help me, I just finished mysql tutorials videos now, what's the next phase to continue with
it is not about finishing.. Can you solve problems with it? Do you totally understand it? Have you attained at least 60% mastery at it?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.