Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,386 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? (1007 Views)

Lagos: Narrate Your Trekking Experience This Morning / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Nigerian Illegal Immigrants Insisting On Trekking Into Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 22, 2019
Let me share my experience when I was in
Copenhagen

I Stopped a cab in Copenhagen, gave my address. "Are you unwell"? He asked me. No I'm not. I answered confused. "Then you can walk. It's just around the corner".

I walked for more than 30 minutes.

Don't know whether to be grateful that he saved me money or angry that he made me suffer

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by tayebest(m): 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2019
lol grin grin grin

I heard there is now O-trek at Lagos now? cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by pocohantas(f): 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2019
I don't see it as suffering, trekking is fun...on a cool day and road with less traffic...

If not, Naija guys won't allow you trek in peace. The moment they profile your backside/legs from behind and it meets industry standard- they will clear and say "am I going your way?"

Boya mo jo compass abi windvane cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 22, 2019
pocohantas:
I don't see it as suffering, trekking is fun...on a cool day and road with less traffic...

If not, Naija guys won't allow you trek in peace. The moment they profile your backside/legs from behind and it meets industry standard- they will clear and say "am I going your way?"

Depends on whether you don't mind your shoes paying the price.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by urahara(m): 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2019
pocohantas:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by KendrickAyomide: 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2019
Depends on the condition of the trekker .
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by J4JUVENTUS(m): 11:15pm On Oct 22, 2019
When you trek under hot sun daily,op is that not suffer? People that trekked for PMB and GEJ then,were they not suffering ,and are they not still suffering now??

There is trekking that is suffering filled and there is another that is just like exercise...

Any trekking when make hot sun hammer you,then your shoe come file join,op na SUFFER O

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by tolajay: 11:43pm On Oct 22, 2019
Trekking could be suffering depending on the pre and post conditions of the trekking and trekker.

Most Nigerians live below the poverty line, hence, they are forced to trek a long distance on a bare stomach, poor health conditions and all. So, that recurring, endless trekking is not a choice but a necessity to save their little funds to feed.

In your case, you could afford a ride but you chose to trek, at least after a piece of advice. And I bet, that could be the only long-distance trek you'd have done that day, but a lot of people here don't have much choice.

For you, it must have been a plus to your health, cos you have other good living conditions intact, for them, trekking is an abuse of their health, cos they are already deficient.

Poverty dey this land ooo.

Boringdraw1:
Copenhagen

I Stopped a cab in Copenhagen, gave my address. "Are you unwell"? He asked me. No I'm not. I answered confused. "Then you can walk. It's just around the corner".

Don't know whether to be grateful that he saved me money or angry that he made me suffer

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by tolajay: 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2019
Wehdon ma! grin grin

But I hear a lot of ladies enjoy such attention. Nay/Yay?

pocohantas:

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 22, 2019
pocohantas:

If oyinbo tell you it's just around the corner when you're asking for directions, it's a scam. It's an hour walk.
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by femijck(m): 1:29am On Oct 23, 2019
Because they’re not doing it to lost weight, but doing it because they have no choice

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by AgreatMan: 5:39am On Oct 23, 2019
Na condition

Most gutters are open. Environment is littered. The neighborhood agbero are smoking joint by the road. Your shoes become dirty. And you are sweating.

Naija is not just adequately planned. Every road must have dedicated side walks. But lots of roads are not even tarred let alone sidewalks.

Even biking. You really don't want to drag road with the average Naija driver if u on a bike. In saner climes, there are dedicated bike Lanes so you don't feel threatened by cars. More so, traffic laws have been tweaked to ensure that walkers or riders hardly get the blame in case of an accident with a car. Cars carefully avoid u if u on a bike.

So Nope. Nigerians don't hate walking. The environment just doesn't support it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by DexterousOne(m): 9:44am On Oct 23, 2019
pocohantas:

Hahaha

Did you say compass shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by lonlytroy(m): 1:25am On Oct 24, 2019
SARS intimidation no let people treck
Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by Emmyk(m): 4:41am On Nov 12, 2019
Well done OP. I see what you did there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians See Trekking As Suffering? by Pavore9: 5:53am On Nov 12, 2019
Boringdraw1:
Copenhagen

Just like most Kenyans, you asked them for direction and they tell you your destination is not far, just a walking distance and 30 minutes later you are still trekking but I have gotten to love walking.

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Visit To Calabar ,cross River State / UAE Halts New Visas To Citizens Of 13 Mostly Muslim States / Help !! Help !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.