Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Football Rules When We Were Kids - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Football Rules When We Were Kids (19028 Views)

Rules Of Football When We Were Kids / Coronavirus: FIFA To Introduce New Rules When Football Returns / FIFA Approves New Football Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Kingv(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2019
Old good memories...not for IPad generation

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by adecz: 10:57am On Oct 25, 2019
grin
Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Tuns20(m): 10:57am On Oct 25, 2019
zidek:
Gone are the days.. When boys were boys
I no fit laugh

Rules of football when we were kids

1. The fat kid was always the goalkeeper
2.The owner of the ball decides who plays
3. If you didn't participate in repairing the ball you were given a match ban
4. The guy who's never picked was to fetch the ball from the trees or bush when it got stuck, under the car or tunnel to play in the next game
5. When the owner of the ball got annoyed, game over
6. When you hit your toes against a stone and you notice blood, you quickly cover the area of injury with sand as a form of first aid and play continues
7. You can't dribble the owner too much, this may lead him to stop the game by taking away his ball.
8. No matter how many goals you scored, the winner would be determined by the last team to score
9.No offsides.
10.There is no referee.
11.There is fault only if the fault is serious .
12.The 2 best players can not play in the same team so everyone chooses their players.
13.If you are chosen last it is a humiliation and you will remain in defense.
14.If there is a penalty the goalkeeper is replaced by the best player of the team.
15.The best player on the field is always in the same team as the owner of the ball.
16.To distinguish the teams, one of the teams pulls off their shirts .
17.3 or 5 corner kicks in a row equal to a penalty.
18.There is always a house where when the ball fell there, we knew that the game was over. so be careful !!

19.Game over when its dark and we can barley see the ball, we all disperse in groups teasing one another until we get home to face another punishment from our parents.
Also....

A. 2 stones respresnt d goalposts.
B. It's always referred to as overstone when d goal is not clean
C. If d ball goes to hit an elderly person d ball is seized and all players must beg prostrating.
D. Head or tail when we toss d coin for which team would skin
E. Punctured felele ball is repaired with hot cutlass and rubber.
F. Later we started contributing money to buy balls to stop personal ownership.

However, you have forgotten that 11th commandment that says 'if you miss the ball, don't miss the leg'.

18 makes me remember Iya Hassan...her husband con be bricklayer...na Trowel she dey use burst our ball that year.. Funny enough her son hassan dey follow us they play..she no send...wicked woman...Childhood memories..

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by JubrinElSudan: 10:58am On Oct 25, 2019
Same siblings don't get chosen in the same team.

7 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by mastermaestro(m): 10:58am On Oct 25, 2019
RillJ:
'Overstone' dey wella.

It was a technical way of disqualifying a goal where the ball is alleged to have flew accross the stone used as post and not on through the goal space.

Don't bother yourself with that guy. In fact 'overstone' was the most controversial moment in every game. cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Comedian2019: 10:58am On Oct 25, 2019
We used to play low quality ball.
In Lagos, we call it Felele. When we play shot, the direction of the ball was determined by the direction of wind.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Useful1: 10:58am On Oct 25, 2019
zidek:
Gone are the days.. When boys were boys
I no fit laugh

Rules of football when we were kids

1. The fat kid was always the goalkeeper
2.The owner of the ball decides who plays
3. If you didn't participate in repairing the ball you were given a match ban
4. The guy who's never picked was to fetch the ball from the trees or bush when it got stuck, under the car or tunnel to play in the next game
5. When the owner of the ball got annoyed, game over
6. When you hit your toes against a stone and you notice blood, you quickly cover the area of injury with sand as a form of first aid and play continues
7. You can't dribble the owner too much, this may lead him to stop the game by taking away his ball.
8. No matter how many goals you scored, the winner would be determined by the last team to score
9.No offsides.
10.There is no referee.
11.There is fault only if the fault is serious .
12.The 2 best players can not play in the same team so everyone chooses their players.
13.If you are chosen last it is a humiliation and you will remain in defense.
14.If there is a penalty the goalkeeper is replaced by the best player of the team.
15.The best player on the field is always in the same team as the owner of the ball.
16.To distinguish the teams, one of the teams pulls off their shirts .
17.3 or 5 corner kicks in a row equal to a penalty.
18.There is always a house where when the ball fell there, we knew that the game was over. so be careful !!

19.Game over when its dark and we can barley see the ball, we all disperse in groups teasing one another until we get home to face another punishment from our parents.
Also....

A. 2 stones respresnt d goalposts.
B. It's always referred to as overstone when d goal is not clean
C. If d ball goes to hit an elderly person d ball is seized and all players must beg prostrating.
D. Head or tail when we toss d coin for which team would skin
E. Punctured felele ball is repaired with hot cutlass and rubber.
F. Later we started contributing money to buy balls to stop personal ownership.

However, you have forgotten that 11th commandment that says 'if you miss the ball, don't miss the leg'.

Op you captured the experience completely �

2 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Angelfrost(m): 10:59am On Oct 25, 2019
OlawaleBammie:
@19B, pls wat did we knw as overstone den?? oberstone ko, ovatine ni..

Over na over!!!

And also, if d owner takes away d ball, there is relatively an alternative wich is to bindle some pieces foam and nylon inside another pure water nylon which serves as membrane (pure water nylon was always larger den dan we have it now) den we would tie it, round leather ball don start b dat grin

No need for that... Just get a clean sizeable kpangolo, and football is good to go.
Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by DonBenny77(m): 10:59am On Oct 25, 2019
OlawaleBammie:
@19B, pls wat did we knw as overstone den?? oberstone ko, ovatine ni..

Over na over!!!

And also, if d owner takes away d ball, there is relatively an alternative wich is to bindle some pieces foam and nylon inside another pure water nylon which serves as membrane (pure water nylon was always larger den dan we have it now) den we would tie it, round leather ball don start b dat grin
Over stone dey

2 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by 4gunners(m): 11:00am On Oct 25, 2019
Those days were sweet. No hassles of life.

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by mastermaestro(m): 11:00am On Oct 25, 2019
nnadychuks:
Don’t forget the part where if you get seriously injured, you can’t tell your parents because they told you not to go outside to play football. grin
4-5 leg remains the official goal post size

That goal post size was legendary! cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by JerryJJZ(m): 11:00am On Oct 25, 2019
Op forgot, no two brothers stay in thesame team. They must be chosen separately.
Let the owner of ball beg you for stuff and you didnt give him, dont worry, you will watch while others play.
That no 7 and 14 captures the scenerio completely. I can relate extensively to them.... What a beautiful childhood experience, not those indomie generations going with ipad upandan.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Emily22(m): 11:01am On Oct 25, 2019
Also when we av less than 6 players, we automatically switch to FOUR POST.

If u no play four post, aswear u never play anything...that game will reveal your true friend .

The player that target your post the most is your enemy grin grin grin.........

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by bestower: 11:01am On Oct 25, 2019
When you are the best player but your parents will not allow you to come to football pitch... All your colleagues will be roaming your house

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Omoslim26: 11:02am On Oct 25, 2019
Which one is 3 corner is one panelty
what of if you kick me or do me ika i must do my own back

2 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by HajiMT: 11:02am On Oct 25, 2019
Gone are the days! Kids of nowadays hardly play football. Street football is dying in Nigeria due to the following reasons:

(1) No playing fields in most private schools.
(2) Neighbourhoods are largely built up these days
(3) No vacant plots to play football anymore as we used to have it .
(4) More houses are now gated forestalling access to them
(5) Roads are busier these days, you dare not play on them
(6) Very dangerous society (vices like Kidnapping)
(7) Impact of television and technology in our daily lives (children stay glued to TV watching Cartoons, European Leagues etc)

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by theenchanter: 11:02am On Oct 25, 2019
CutieRB:
This is so true. Especially 5,12,15. Chai i miss those days ooooo grin grin
hmmn.
Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by teejoyz: 11:03am On Oct 25, 2019
Life was really sweet those days.i could remember we used to nickname someone Rashidi while another person bear yekini grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by OlawaleBammie: 11:03am On Oct 25, 2019
DonBenny77:

Over stone dey

Ahh...
Well, our diction no reach dat level den, overstone was relatively a big grammar to us grin
Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by TemiVast: 11:04am On Oct 25, 2019
If the best team wins three times in a row, the team will a world cup trophy made with a bulb and milk tin wrapped with a cellophone paper inside cigarette pack.....

And we sing home �
Winner oooo......

3 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by theenchanter: 11:04am On Oct 25, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Ahh...
Well, our diction no reach dat level den, overstone was relatively a big grammar to us grin
more like "over d bar" grin or overpost.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by segunbisola(m): 11:04am On Oct 25, 2019
When the best player in the opposition team is giving you too much trouble,the best way to eliminate him is to fire the ball hard at his scrotum. grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by OlawaleBammie: 11:05am On Oct 25, 2019
Angelfrost:

No need for that... Just get a clean sizeable kpangolo, and football is good to go.

Ahh, u want make my rubber sander cut, cus i cant play pangolo with bare flesh.

but nylon or oranges, na der we dey grin

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 25, 2019
HajiMT:
Gone are the days! Kids of nowadays hardly play football. Street football is dying in Nigeria due to the following reasons:

(1) No football fields in most private schools.
(2) Neighbourhoods are largely built up
(3) No vacant plots to play football anymore.
(4) More houses are not gated forestalling access to them
(5) Roads are busier these days, you dare not play on them
(6) Very dangerous society (vices like Kidnapping)
(7) Impact of television and technology in our daily lives (children stay glued to TV watching Cartoons, European Leagues etc)

True...though

1.Some private schools still have big enough fields.
2.I so agree with no 7.

Back in the day, when NTA was the only broadcaster, children's programming was at best 2 hours a day, so more time to play.

Now, DSTV has at least 8 channels for children, and almost all of them have 24/7 programming. Then there is the internet.

3.Roads were busy during my time (1980'S).

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Nuclear99(m): 11:06am On Oct 25, 2019
HoldenCaulfield:
Oh those times grin
I remember when I accidentally scored an own goal, they mock me like hell, and even nicknamed me a name I still feel ashamed of
embarassed
Tell me the name brother

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by jodoh: 11:07am On Oct 25, 2019
grin I remember when we had to do a manual job as a group to buy "health" ball. We immediately ran to the field to play, only for our leader to shoot it against a bamboo with a sharp edge...

4 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by SOFTENGR: 11:08am On Oct 25, 2019
Whenever there was argument over a goal, the strongest boys always have their way.

5 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Angelfrost(m): 11:08am On Oct 25, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Ahh, u want make my rubber sander cut, cus i cant play pangolo with bare flesh.

but nylon or oranges, na der we dey grin

Oranges were the game jor... We kicked the hell out of those citrus fruits!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by OlawaleBammie: 11:09am On Oct 25, 2019
theenchanter:
more like "over d bar" grin or overpost.

yeah.

Lol, over d bar?? as if we knew wetin bar mean gringringrin tho we know wetin post mean sha cus we dey hear am everytym

You guys must av graduated from kings college, mary immaculate and others grin

1 Like

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Nuclear99(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2019
The owner of the Ball go wan choose the best players

3 Likes

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2019
There is always a sport-loving mummy or uncle that you all run to, to help you plead, in case one sadist seizes your ball and would not bulge though you beg him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Football Rules When We Were Kids by theenchanter: 11:11am On Oct 25, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

yeah.

Lol, over d bar?? as if we knew wetin bar mean gringringrin tho we know wetin post mean sha cus we dey hear am everytym

You guys must av graduated from kings college, mary immaculate and others grin
omo, na street football sure pass but i no go those schools.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Odion Ighalo Scored A Brace As Al Hilal Defeats Ronaldo's Al'Nassr / Photo Of A Female Medical Official Attending To A Male Footballer Goes Viral / Keshi Shuts Out Martins, Iheanacho From Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.