Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41326 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 12:21am On Nov 22, 2010
gestapo:

^^^

Don't mind her, she must have plucked out the term " credit balance" out of the air just to belong, and if people start actually questioning whether she is truly in the UK, she'll start splitting fearthers grin grin

Ada dearest, a thread is opened for discussion purposes and is usually allowed to run to 100 pages before it gets closed, but the rules have been relaxed now so berra go find another thread to chill in before this one gets your high blood presssure soaring cheesy cheesy

YAWN,

having realised the mentality of people like you my blood pressure is fine thanks,

plucking "credit balance", trying to convince people i am in the UK, oh gosh i would laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous. just to belong to what? the internet? nairaland? wow!!!!!!!!!

buzz apologies i mis read what u wrote - i thought u were referring to savings interest (most banks don't pay interest on current account balances anymore).

why u guys are arguing or exchanging views (bordering on insults) is beyond me - can't people agree to disagree?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 12:25am On Nov 22, 2010
@ buzugee, afraid catch me o!
I wish our leader remain in ignorance of those taxes. In Nigeria, you can;
buy a car and drive it home and pay nothing in taxes, only payment will be reg. Number.
Buy a house and pack in, you only pay the land owner, we dont even care to document the transaction in a land registry. Those that do understate the purchase price, you can write 100k as purchase price so you pay only 1250 naira as stamp duty and registry fees for a land of 15 million. But if you dont register it, no wahala, e no concern anyboby.
You can draw your plans and build your house with your direct labour, no inspection fees of approvals from engineers or govt.
Who even thinks of building insurance? We see it as waste of good money and we dont do it (99%) of all houses here.
You can sell and buy shares in any company and not pay a dime in capital gains tax. Just pay transaction fees and go and enjoy your loot.
Interest tax in banks is around 10%
you can pack your car anywhere (even double park sef) and if anybody try you, call police for am.
There are no speed limits in naija, the only speed limits here is the almighty potholes.
You can use any amenity free of charge, if you know how to, I know people who have never paid light bill, but they enjoy light everyday.
You can build ten houses and fill them with tenants, collect rents and chop everymonth no problem. (most landlords dont know anything called property tax)

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 12:50am On Nov 22, 2010
footreja:

@ Buzugee, why not say, you have bastardised the Topic. Continue deceiving yourself. Why did you choose Gambia to relocate to? Why not go back to 9ja and let the poverty-ridden economy consume all your hard-earned dollars and remain grounded in Nigeria like Nigeria Airways.
wink wink wink

gambia is not set in stone. if i can get somewhere in naija with low population density then i am in there like swimwear grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 12:53am On Nov 22, 2010
ada24:

YAWN,

having realised the mentality of people like you my blood pressure is fine thanks,

plucking "credit balance", trying to convince people i am in the UK, oh gosh i would laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous. just to belong to what? the internet? nairaland? wow!!!!!!!!!

buzz apologies i mis read what u wrote - i thought u were referring to savings interest (most banks don't pay interest on current account balances anymore).

why u guys are arguing or exchanging views (bordering on insults) is beyond me - can't people agree to disagree?
ahhh i feel ya my sister. actually this insulting thing wasnt started by me. but i figured ? hey if they wanna play dirty ? its all good with me. i can roll that way too. i am versatile. i slang it however you want it. just call me the mailman. i deliver whatever you post
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 12:57am On Nov 22, 2010
invisible!:

buy a car and drive it home and pay nothing in taxes, only payment will be reg. Number.
Buy a house and pack in, you only pay the land owner, we dont even care to document the transaction in a land registry. Those that do understate the purchase price, you can write 100k as purchase price so you pay only 1250 naira as stamp duty and registry fees for a land of 15 million. But if you dont register it, no wahala, e no concern anyboby.
You can draw your plans and build your house with your direct labour, no inspection fees of approvals from engineers or govt.
Who even thinks of building insurance? We see it as waste of good money and we dont do it (99%) of all houses here.
You can sell and buy shares in any company and not pay a dime in capital gains tax. Just pay transaction fees and go and enjoy your loot.
you can pack your car anywhere (even double park sef) and if anybody try you, call police for am.
There are no speed limits in naija, the only speed limits here is the almighty potholes.
You can use any amenity free of charge, if you know how to, I know people who have never paid light bill, but they enjoy light everyday.
You can build ten houses and fill them with tenants, collect rents and chop everymonth no problem. (most landlords dont know anything called property tax)
bruh ? na the bondage we find ourself inside for here sha grin grin if you sneeze sef, they will tax you if they can get away with it grin i concur with you. i hope our leaders stay ignorant to all those taxes. freedom is priceless

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by chiogo(f): 1:05am On Nov 22, 2010
Topics like this always get the insecure ones riled up. Abeg live and let live. Are there people who live better lives in Naija than some in the U.S. do? Yes. Are there people who lived worse lives than they're now doing abroad? Yes. Different people have different experiences so, stop with the assumptions.

As for those ranting about contributing to the motherland. I just wanna know how exactly you're contributing positively just by choosing to stay back.   The same corrupt government is still 'leading' so what gives? Some people have actually come to a realization that they're not currently in a situation to contribute much to Nigeria because they're young and still in school. Therefore, they chose to move abroad(U.S., Europe, etc) where there are more opportunities, get a good education, return, and contribute positively to the country.

Do I miss Naija? Yes. But I don't regret moving (have my family with me so it's all gravy), If anything, the country has gotten worse than it was when I left, which even reinforces why there are no regrets. Do I plan to go back in the future? yes, but not anytime soon,  . not until I'm established in my career and able to invest my skills into helping Nigeria.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by gestapo(f): 1:11am On Nov 22, 2010
ada24:

YAWN,

You are still being ridiculous and this shows you know nada, see yourself again, interest paid on current account is a plus and what Buzugee was talking about was money being deducted, not added on, so  why did you feel the need to bring interest paid on current account into the mix, IF NOT AGAIN FOR THE FACT THAT YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO LET PEOPLE  ASSUME YOU KNOW SOMETHING when you know jackshit, Mrs JJC to the UK who is always putting her foot in her mouth just cos she wants to claim she has spent 28 years in UK  grin

If you don't feel the need to belong as this is the internet, you are best not replying me otherwise it means you are a hyprocrite and what is online affects you. And get off your high horses about people insulting, didn't you call those who didn't agree with your own views too haters, mschewwww
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ladyrsky46: 2:08am On Nov 22, 2010
It's so funny to see people get all hot and bothered about this.
Everyone has diffferent expectations and dreams. Some can't be achieved in Nigeria, some can. What's the big deal if you migrate or you don't? Some people have left Nigeria and the life they are living "abroad" is way better than the life they lived in Nigeria. If they don't mind been "3rd class citizens", who are you to tell them otherwise?  For others, it's they probably regret going "abroad". All this aggro certainly won't help them say the truth will it?
You just can't conclude that we're all liars because we say we don't regret it.
I don't!
I sometimes miss Nigeria, but with all my family and friends here- some from primary school in Nigeria, what else do I want to do or who do I want to see in Nigeria? When I feel I have something I can give back to Nigeria and Nigerians in my own little way, I'll be back. Till then, I'll stay right where I am, travel more and just enjoy life. It's way too short to regret any decision I've. Not that I regret this particular one.
All the insults and shall I say some posts here that are bordering almost on jealousy in here is WOW.
Relax! grin It's one world. We're all citizens of the world. We're free to move around. Hop from one country to another. You thoroughly dislike some countries, you love some, you live an awful life and have bad experiences in some, you live an amazing one in another,
Kini big deal? undecided
Stop the too much grammar and insults. It sure won't change anything.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2010
cyber stalking at its best - my friend if u feel that i am lying about spending the majority of my life in the Uk does that stop u eating breakfast in the morning - yes i will respond cos i don't get ur point - there has been 32 pages on this topic and ur coming on here to attack me cos u think i want t belong or pretend that I like in the UK. What the hell is so special about this country - yeah its home to me but it aint all that, just like nigeria aint all that.

u now want to pick up on a tecnicallity of interest on a credit balance that is finance 101. i think buzz was talking about tax deducted on gross credit interest (gosh must everything be broken down for petes sake).

honestly u must be one of those people that was attacking me from when i was asking about the travelling question months ago and here u are still getting annoyed with me about a 4 month old topic - let me be a JJC to the UK if that is what makes u sleep better at night, I mean the fact that u don't believe me does not affect my life at all so keep thinking I am lying and even if I am, so?

If u want keep throwing insults at me I can clearly see u have something against me, there are many people on here that pass comments that I don't agree with but I live and let live not everyone will be my cup of tea or have the same mindset as me.

see what insomnia is causing me. KMT
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by gestapo(f): 2:29am On Nov 22, 2010
ada24:

cyber stalking at its best - my friend if u feel that i am lying about spending the majority of my life in the Uk does that stop u eating breakfast in the morning - yes i will respond cos i don't get your point - there has been 32 pages on this topic and your coming on here to attack me cos u think i want t belong or pretend that I like in the UK. What the hell is so special about this country - yeah its home to me but it aint all that, just like nigeria aint all that.

u now want to pick up on a tecnicallity of interest on a credit balance that is finance 101. i think buzz was talking about tax deducted on gross credit interest (gosh must everything be broken down for petes sake).

honestly u must be one of those people that was attacking me from when i was asking about the travelling question months ago and here u are still getting annoyed with me about a 4 month old topic - let me be a JJC to the UK if that is what makes u sleep better at night, I mean the fact that u don't believe me does not affect my life at all so keep thinking I am lying and even if I am, so?

If u want keep throwing insults at me I can clearly see u have something against me, there are many people on here that pass comments that I don't agree with but I live and let live not everyone will be my cup of tea or have the same mindset as me.

see what insomnia is causing me. KMT

You think you are smart and want to narrow this down to i attacked you on finance 101 technicality, how about me telling you to zip it and stop your sly comments and digs and harping on why the thread keeps going on You don't take online serious huh yet you got your knickers in a twist hyprocrite. Again what does gross credit interest which is what the bank pays a customer have to do with tax that Buzugee mentioned Mrs i must belong by force grin

My friend nobody attacked you as you have beenn claiming, some people posted that you should stop lying whilst some just read the thread to observe, abi your brain is too thick to realise that it is not everyone that posts on threads hence you see statistics like 56 posts/1345 views, abeg waka pass from my front mrs hyporocrite undecided You wan claim say na comment you dey pass yet you keep coming back to call people bitter haters, mschewwww
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 2:36am On Nov 22, 2010
gestapo:

You think you are smart and want to narrow this down to i attacked you on finance 101 technicality, how about me telling you to zip it and stop your sly comments and digs and harping on why the thread keeps going on You don't take online serious huh yet you got your knickers in a twist hyprocrite. Again what does gross credit interest which is what the bank pays a customer have to do with tax that Buzugee mentioned Mrs i must belong by force grin

My friend nobody attacked you as you have beenn claiming, some people posted that you should stop lying whilst some just read the thread to observe, abi your brain is too thick to realise that it is not everyone that posts on threads hence you see statistics like 56 posts/1345 views, abeg waka pass from my front mrs hyporocrite undecided You wan claim say na comment you dey pass yet you keep coming back to call people bitter haters, mschewwww

YAWN
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by gestapo(f): 2:40am On Nov 22, 2010
ada24:

YAWN

yeah, and you had to come back to yawn, indeed

wharreva plonker cool
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 2:45am On Nov 22, 2010
double yawn,

yes i am indeed a double plonker.

YAWN,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by gestapo(f): 3:02am On Nov 22, 2010
ada24:

double yawn,

yes i am indeed a double plonker.

YAWN,

Mz hyprocrite who can't see the wood for the trees cool cool
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Rare(m): 6:04am On Nov 22, 2010
I like these criteria posted by Oyinda for considering the subject of "regrets":

" 1)The age of person at time of immigration. the older you were the less opportunities you may feel are available to you abroad.
2) Length of time abroad. the longer u've been abroad, the more disenchanted you may become and start thinking of coming back home.
3) Position in Naija. If you were rich in naija, it may be better to stay home. That's why politicians and big business men only go abroad for summers and vacations even though many have the option of staying abroad permanently.
4) Success abroad. obviously if you have achieved your dream abroad, then you probably want to remain there
."

Besides that, why do I get this feeling that contributors on this thread that are in Nigeria get this feeling of joy when they read about Nigerians abroad suffering. Then comes the ever-endless tales of Nigerians abroad being cleaners/janitors, menial jobs etc. Whilst it is not anybody's dream, these people are actually financially independent, which is something that doesn't come easy in Nigeria.

I wish we can come to the state when we can simply appreciate and respect everyone's decision. If you are in Nigeria , enjoy it; if you are abroad, enjoy it. We can channel the energy of home versus abroad arguments into discussions of how we can do collaborative business.
If I am abroad, how can I do any collaborative business in Nigeria without trustworthy capable hands resident in Nigeria?.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 22, 2010
Actually it's different strokes for different folks.

Like I said in my first post, I have no regrets for going overseas. That notwithstanding, I still maintain the notion that it is not all bad with Nigeria. Guys, I have got friends back home that are doing so well. I do not doubt the fact that jobs are difficult to come by back home, but don't tell me there are no opportunities. Hell no!

You have to create these opportunities for yourselves. There are Nigerians doing well overseas and there are still thousands of Nigerians languishing in poverty overseas. If you doubt me, go to the UK and US. I have been opportuned to school and work in the UK as well as in France and Asia and I know a lot of our brothers that are not doing well overseas, they all want to come back home but are ashamed of what folks back home will say. You see in Nigeria we have this silly mentality that everyone overseas is doing well.

How do we solve the Nigerian situation? Dude, I really do not know. The Nigerian case is a serious one, but at the end of the day it is our home. Our only home. So to all those Nigerians overseas that keep bashing Nigeria, I say shame on you. You are abandoning your country and expect the White man to accept you in a foreign land? Hell no! you will always remain a second class citizen (even if you hold the country's passport). I am appalled at the response of some guys in this forum with regards the situation in Nigeria. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Talking down on your country.

Yes, we agree Nigeria is in a mess but we can change it. We are just 50 years old, if you read history books  you will find out the US and UK where no better at that age. These trying times will pass, I assure you. The wind of change has started already.

I know I will receive some bashing (as usual) for this post, bring it on. You guys may claim having lived in the UK and US for over 10 - 15 years, I do not doubt this. I too have schooled in the UK, worked in the UK, France, Malaysia, Singapore and presently the Middle East (because of the nature of my job), so I know what I am saying. I will have it no other way, I have the opportunity of continuing earning good money and living in the Middle East for the next 5 years but hell no! I am going back home. Ol' boy there is fun in Nigeria. cheesy grin grin smiley wink
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Rare(m): 9:36am On Nov 22, 2010
mikeujoel:

Actually it's different strokes for different folks.

Like I said in my first post, I have no regrets for going overseas. That notwithstanding, I still maintain the notion that it is not all bad with Nigeria. Guys, I have got friends back home that are doing so well. I do not doubt the fact that jobs are difficult to come by back home, but don't tell me there are no opportunities. Hell no!

You have to create these opportunities for yourselves. There are Nigerians doing well overseas and there are still thousands of Nigerians languishing in poverty overseas. If you doubt me, go to the UK and US. I have been opportuned to school and work in the UK as well as in France and Asia and I know a lot of our brothers that are not doing well overseas, they all want to come back home but are ashamed of what folks back home will say. You see in Nigeria we have this silly mentality that everyone overseas is doing well.

How do we solve the Nigerian situation? Dude, I really do not know. The Nigerian case is a serious one, but at the end of the day it is our home. Our only home. So to all those Nigerians overseas that keep bashing Nigeria, I say shame on you. You are abandoning your country and expect the White man to accept you in a foreign land? Hell no! you will always remain a second class citizen (even if you hold the country's passport). I am appalled at the response of some guys in this forum with regards the situation in Nigeria. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Talking down on your country.

Yes, we agree Nigeria is in a mess but we can change it. We are just 40 years old, if you read history books  you will find out the US and UK where no better at that age. These trying tmes will past, I assure you. The wind of change has started already.

I know I will receive some bashing (as usual) for this post, bring it on. You guys may claim having lived in the UK and US for over 10 - 15 years, I do not doubt this. I too have schooled in the UK, worked in the UK, France, Malaysia, Singapore and presently the Middle East (because of the nature of my job), so I know what I am saying. I will have it no other way, I have the opportunity of continuing earning good money and living in the Middle East for the next 5 years but hell no! I am going back home. Ol' boy there is fun in Nigeria. cheesy grin grin smiley wink

@mikeujoel,
Decisions like yours are better made after first-hand experiences. You have had a lot of exposure, and made money, and are well-positioned to fit back into Nigeria to lead a decent life & make some impact however little, having satisfied your dreams. I'm sure you wouldn't have felt like a hurried return after merely your first year out of Nigeria or when you were still yearning more exposure.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by AjanleKoko: 10:55am On Nov 22, 2010
invisible!:

You obviously don't live in Lagos or Abuja, don't own property in any choice area, and only buy cars from Cotonou. That's why you can say all of this.
Try to build a house in Lekki or in Lagos Mainland, or in Abuja metropolis (magodo etc) and see if the government won't come and do the valuation and slap you with the appropriate CGT.
Try to import a car through Lagos port, and see if you can dodge the customs duty.
This theory of yours only works for people in Mowe. In Lagos, Alausa will do the valuation by themselves.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by martinosi: 11:53am On Nov 22, 2010
cap28:

dummy please wake up and smell the coffee - which country currently is the most powerful? is it a black country asian country or white country?  

Which country's currency is the world reserve currency?

Which country spends the most amount of money on military hardware, training and defence?

which country's language, culture, music, film, literature, political structures and economic policies dominate and are found all over the world?

Now lets see if you can work out what the answer to the above are, if you answer correctly then you will know that whoever maintains that position in the world DICTATES TO AND CONTROLS THE BUSINESS OF EVERYONE ELSE .

As a result the way such a person treats you  is important because it is an indication of where you stand in the pyramid of power, so therefore it does matter.

Also if you are placed at the bottom of that pyramid that should demonstrate to you that in the scheme of things you are virtually powerless. 

Greatness is measured according to how much control you have over your destiny, how much right you have over your own self determination - WE AFRICANS RIGHT NOW HAVE PRACTICALLY NO CONTROL OVER OUR OWN DESTINIES, EVERYTHING WE DO IN AFRICA TODAY IS BEING DICTATED TO AND CONTROLLED FROM OUTSIDE THE CONTINENT.
^^^^^^^^^^^
CAP28 ABEG TELL THEM AGAIN FOR ME OH I DON TIRE FOR SOME OF THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR LEVEL OF IGNORANCE WHEN "GOOGLE" IS NOW AVAILABLE TO EDUCATE THEM!!! (M.O)

You even demonstrate how you are a victim of such a system by referring to the "pulitzer prize" why didnt you say okoro prize, ade prize or musa prize Keep digging a hole for yourself.  

by the way petroleum tax is not a "lil thing" it accounts for 65% of nigeria's budgetary income, other major sources of FGN revenue are import and excise duties, mining rents and royalties.
^^^^^^^
TELL THEM CAP28 THESE PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO LEARN!!! (M,O)

How about import tax is that lil as well? are you trying to tell me that all the goods that nigerians import into the country are  imported tax free?

tensor says that most nigerians are self employed and therefore dont pay paye income tax, how about all the self employed traders and other business men in nigeria, do you think they will be able to set up their shops or businesses without paying tax?

Traders in the market - i suppose they trade without paying any licence fees to the local govt, the other day they showed a programme on the bbc about how the national union of road transport workers in lagos uses area boys to intimidate and shake down hundreds of traders in various markets all over lagos, why do you think they do this? where does  the money obtained from this extortion racket go?

Okay lets stay with your story that nigerians do not pay tax - if that is indeed the case why is it that the respective local  govts ask for tax clearance certificates before you can qualify for certain govt services?

Why is that people refuse to research and validate things before they talk?
CAP28 has just stated the fact as they are now and people just talk blindly,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by martinosi: 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
cap28:

there is no doubt in anyone's mind that mandela and desmond tutu are great men - nobody is disputing that - these are black icons who fought courageously against white oppression.

dangote, emeagwali are most definitely NOT icons - they may have accomplished a lot as INDIVIDUALS however if dangote or emeagwali arrive at any western airport in the world -they will simply be faceless black men with nigerian passports and will be treated accordingly - if they walk through the streets of any western nation they may be unlucky enough to face discriminatory treatment from the police, or other members of white society, they will not automatically be accorded the type of treatment that a white person arriving in any foreign country in the world will be accorded - WHY? because in a white controlled world - the black race has no respect as a collective group - you can take it or leave it, it doesnt matter what you have acheived on an individual basis but as a collective group blacks are disrespected and given the worst treatment worldwide because there is no black nation that has risen to the rank of a G8 nation or even a G20 nation, if you want to test how respected you are go travelling around the world with your white friends - you will see how the treatment they will receive from authorities will differ from the treatment you will receive, oh and dont forget to use your nigerian passport!

they get their kids to take out student loans WHEN THEY ARE ALIVE, however WHEN THEY DIE , THEY USUALLY LEAVE INHERITANCES TO THEIR CHILDREN - the  average british person no matter how poor inherits a morgage free property from their parents or grandparents, this is why many whites have a head start on non white people.  they have had access to property and wealth at least 400 years ahead of us.  

earlier on i made a list of various taxes that the nigerian govt realises revenue from - here they are again:

income tax, petroleum profit tax, capital gains tax, personal income tax from  foreigners residing in Nigeria.

custom and excise duties,  VAT,

oil pipeline license fees, rents for mining rights, mining fees, royalties on minerals, NNPC earnings from direct sales, penalties for gas flared, rents of oil well.

So you're saying to me that the govt finds it difficult to levy paye income tax which is deducted directly from salaries, how about petroleum profit tax which is levied directly at source from foreign oil companies operating in nigeria - they find it difficult collecting those as well?, customs and excise duties - same thing, oil pipelines fees - buzugee please can you stop making yourself look stu.pid and face up to the reality of what is actually going on in nigeria -  i will ask you again what is the federal govt of nigeria doing with the revenue realised from the abovementioned taxation?

Most Nigerians are always in denial about their situation
and they dont what to face the blunt reality of how to change it!
But they are quick to complain when non-nigerians especially Indians
come in and see loop holes and exploit it economically.

Take for instance the food/agricultural products industry.

Indians are now almost monopolising the export of these products
and all the so called nigerian players in the industry are crying
foul and want govt subsidy to help their Agric business! such lazy baffons!

Are indians asking for Govt Subsidy

Are indians even receiving support from their home country?

Where are the Indians getting the financing to export these millions
of Dollars worth of Goods?

Does indian man have two heads or one?

Who should we question or ask for the reason why Indians are controlling
this Agric Export Industry now

Go ask your Nigerian Bankers,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 12:19pm On Nov 22, 2010
tensor777:

Debosky you have come again with this your raising the bar style of argument by quoting posts out of context.
You know you wouldn't try such tactics in a beer parlour. cool
You would be shouted down there and then. embarassed

Thank you for pointing out your argument style is more suited to the beer parlour. grin

You were having a separate discussion with cap, while I was having one with buzugee. . .  how can I have quoted out of context when buzugee claimed that

buzugee:

nigeria on the other hand the gov[b]t is not collecting anything from anybody so their is no gripe here[/b]. there is no taxation without representation. there is no reason to cause any kind of upheaval. the only solution is for people to start being their own govt.

What other 'context' can there be to a claim that the government is NOT collecting anything? You need to stop jumping about and focus on the discussion you're having. If you can't bear arguments which seek to get clarity on claims being made, then kindly bypass my posts, mr official perceiver of argument styles. grin

The truth is that most of the Federal revenue is derived from oil and the total is just 30 billion dollars per annum which is next to nothing for a population of 150 million.

Again, I never debated this with you - while some people might not be paying taxes, to those paying taxes (many residents of cities like Lagos and all the civil servant state capitals and Abuja) it does matter that your paycheck is deducted without commensurate benefits, or the local council fees paid without any services in return.

What is personal income tax and company tax compared to the proportion collected via Petroleum Profits tax, NNPC upstream operations' profits, and oil royalties?
Who ever said in any case that no revenue AT ALL is being collected?

Buzugee said so - he said, 'govt is not collecting anything from anybody'. Or did you fail to read that?  undecided

It is the height of foolishness to wave away any collections from individuals (no matter how small) by the government and say because it is 'minuscule' then you can forget about holding them accountable as Buzugee claims.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by martinosi: 12:55pm On Nov 22, 2010
cap28:

oh wow im shaking in my boots!! slowpoke are you one of those frustrated nigerians who turn to religion when their lives start going downhill?  the other day you were regaling us with fantasy stories about how you bought your first car when you were a foetus now reality has hit you over the head and poverty and frustration has now made you seek succour in Jesus, have you decided to be a friend to jesus because of suffer head grin grin grin grin

I have already assessed you as an unhinged individual suffering from delusions of grandeur, your entire existence is built on lying to yourself and being envious of people who live abroad, good luck with future high  blood pressure complications.

these civil servants where do they get this money from - isnt this the same civil service where workers havent been paid for years? 

nigeria rocks so much that when you go to the american and british embassies in lagos and abuja you see queues of people stretching as far as the eye can see jostling violently with each other in order to get into europe or america, it rocks so much that people even bed down at these same embassies exposing themselves to the elements all in a bid to realise that chance in a lifetime of leaving the country!!!!!!
it rocks so much that some of these same people brave the hazards of the sahara desert - all in a bid to get to europe and subsequently america - it can't be rocking that much can it?

Save your self delusion for people who don't know any better, like i said earlier self delusion is a coping mechanism used by people who refuse to face up to reality, however continuous reliance on it can result in a gradual slide into a complete detachment from reality - don't say i didnt warn you!!!

^^^^^^^
THE PART IN BOLD BY CAP28 IS SOO PRICELSS LOL

grin

Lawwd have mercy the way CAP28 tears you guys apart is soo PRICELESS!!!, I just enjoy reading his post as that what i do most on Nairaland now since most people here talk blindly.

I Just want to say "Congrats to the Zenith Bank Director" who has signed up to nairaland and has promised to contribute after i had a chat with him when we met in Nigeria in August"

I told him to read CAP28 post and he say he is very impressed and somewhat suprised that  a Nigerian like CAP28 exist that understands the Real issues facing Nigeria,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by martinosi: 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2010
cap28:

Hey Martinosi how you dey? i will watch those links you posted.

I do not have any interest in the upcoming elections in nigeria because the same bandits who destroyed nigeria are still vying for leadership in nigeria, until there is a root and branch clear out of the nigerian political system there is no hope.  GEJ, IBB even Buhari they are all different sides of the same coin.  

JP Morgan are part of the corporate banking plutocracy that run america and the international banking system, nigeria is a client state of the anglo american alliance ie britain and america and therefore i am not that suprised that they are in nigeria,probably to endorse GEJ, although i really think IBB will win it because he has already been endorsed by the US state dept.  It could be that GEJ is the safer option because of the widespread oppositon to IBB, and the fear of riots and chaos that will inevitably follow an IBB win.  

thanks for posting the links ill have a listen, i just googled william engdahl he sounds like an interesting guy, i shall listen to your link and get back to you. thanks

Thanks for the reply Cap28.

I guessed as much that we are thinking along the same lines
in regards to the Presidential election in Nigerian Next year.

GEJ looks like the safest option for "the West" to endore as he seems
to be more likely not to rock the boat and IBB is too risky because if he
get in office the thought of Anarchy against him would not be acceptable by Major International Investors ie UK, usa and China. That would spoil "the so called" stableness since 1999 in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 2:12pm On Nov 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

You obviously don't live in Lagos or Abuja, don't own property in any choice area, and only buy cars from Cotonou. That's why you can say all of this.
Try to build a house in Lekki or in Lagos Mainland, or in Abuja metropolis (magodo etc) and see if the government won't come and do the valuation and slap you with the appropriate CGT.
Try to import a car through Lagos port, and see if you can dodge the customs duty.
This theory of yours only works for people in Mowe. In Lagos, Alausa will do the valuation by themselves.

Certainly, I don't own anything in Lagos or Abuja, but in some other state capitals. and its clear only a little % of people do. The vast majority lives in other states and enjoy themselves. Mowe is fine, and will rival Lagos on day.
My cars come in through Lagos, there are dealers that pay clearing charges, but I just collect and drive away.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 3:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
I really hate to come back to this topic but just to be frank and straight with Buzugee; u are the most ignorant and  person on this thread. Why defend a nation you have not business relocating to in the near future.

I could have continue to support Cap28 but he is just doing fine taking you and invisible down. Bravo to Cap28.

Buzugee, you state of mind is out of touch with your brain. You are the most confused man who ever hang around white -bitches- and fucck them, and don't know what to do. You have no right defending Nigeria, its leaders and the state Nigeria is.

invisible, why do you continue to support Buzugee? If he had a plan that he will go Nigeria to relocate instead of Gambia  is a different thing. Buzugee is stabbing you in the back and you think he in the right state of mind because he writes useless things about Nigeria.

Buzugee, on one of your post, you describe how people who retire in USA goes to other countries to stay because of cost of living. You also made this remark about British who retire goes to south Africa and co. What makes you different from this people you categorite? Your future plan is Gambia. Why don't you stay in England or perhaps Nigeria? You states of mind is low and confused. You talk about others knowing you are no different.

@ Buzugee, you view about Nigeria is just a shallow minded. Many people read this things. Anyone who read your posts and see what you wrote about Nigeria yet you little confused mind is in Gambia, no one will take you seriously. This is the reason you will continue to have problem with Cap28, me and others. I see you as mentally challenge person and if you are the only black person in you office, is time you look elsewhere but don't come here to continue to deceive people about Nigeria and future plans.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 3:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
[/quote][quote author=invisible! link=topic=549292.msg7190684#msg7190684 date=1290381938]

You should be happy for your useless leaders not collecting tax because the money would still ending in their pockets. Which amenity are you talking. the two hours electricity a week or what? I am waiting.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by sholaeco(m): 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2010
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2010
martinosi:

^^^^^^^

grin

Lawwd have mercy the way CAP28 tears you guys apart is soo PRICELESS!!!, I just enjoy reading his post as that what i do most on Nairaland now since most people here talk blindly.

I Just want to say "Congrats to the Zenith Bank Director" who has signed up to nairaland and has promised to contribute after i had a chat with him when we met in Nigeria in August"

I told him to read CAP28 post and he say he is very impressed and somewhat suprised that  a Nigerian like CAP28 exist that understands the Real issues facing Nigeria,

Hey bro thanks for your comments -  im going to finish watching those your links on william engdahl, you know the funny thing is that these american and european political commentators and analysts have a much more indepth understanding of why nigeria is in the mess that its in because many of them are privy to information that is beyond the reach of many people.  They are also in a position to see the bigger picture.  When you are part of a superpower your view on world issues is clearer and more precise than everyone else's.
my favourite political commentators are Michael Parenti (former professor of political science at Yale) Noam Chomsky (linguist and poltical scientist) these two are some of the most unbiased and outstanding academics in the US.  

Even when i discuss with people who are interested in politics here in the west they seem to be so much more clued up about the world compared to our own people, they  understand what is going on, obviously not all of them but the ones who are genuinely interested in politics show a much more comprehensive understanding of what is actually going on.

my favourite poltical analyst is Michael Parenti - former professor of poltical science at Yale University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Parenti

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Parenti/World_Safe_Hypocrisy_MP.html

He is an outstanding political analyst

by the way which of my posts was the zenith bank guy impressed with? anyway look forward to speaking soon, im gonna watch those links and get back to you.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:12pm On Nov 22, 2010
martinosi:

^^^^^^^

grin

I told him to read CAP28 post and he say he is very impressed and somewhat suprised that  a Nigerian like CAP28 exist that understands the Real issues facing Nigeria,
whats that brown stain on your upper lip dude ? oops its from kissing cap28's butt so hard. get a tissue paper and wipe that stain you brown nosing azz nicca. this nicca is so far up cap28,s butt, all i can see is the sole of his shoes grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:19pm On Nov 22, 2010
OvieE:

I really hate to come back to this topic but just to be frank and straight with Buzugee; u are the most ignorant and  person on this thread. Why defend a nation you have not business relocating to in the near future.

I could have continue to support Cap28 but he is just doing fine taking you and invisible down. Bravo to Cap28.

Buzugee, you state of mind is out of touch with your brain. You are the most confused man who ever hang around white -bitches- and fucck them, and don't know what to do. You have no right defending Nigeria, its leaders and the state Nigeria is.

invisible, why do you continue to support Buzugee? If he had a plan that he will go Nigeria to relocate instead of Gambia  is a different thing. Buzugee is stabbing you in the back and you think he in the right state of mind because he writes useless things about Nigeria.

Buzugee, on one of your post, you describe how people who retire in USA goes to other countries to stay because of cost of living. You also made this remark about British who retire goes to south Africa and co. What makes you different from this people you categorite? Your future plan is Gambia. Why don't you stay in England or perhaps Nigeria? You states of mind is low and confused. You talk about others knowing you are no different.

@ Buzugee, you view about Nigeria is just a shallow minded. Many people read this things. Anyone who read your posts and see what you wrote about Nigeria yet you little confused mind is in Gambia, no one will take you seriously. This is the reason you will continue to have problem with Cap28, me and others. I see you as mentally challenge person and if you are the only black person in you office, is time you look elsewhere but don't come here to continue to deceive people about Nigeria and future plans.

here comes this mental midget trying to grandiose again. your opinion is best left in the commode  grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2010
buzugee:

here comes this mental midget trying to grandiose again. your opinion is best left in the commode grin

A moronic person deserved to be stone to death.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 9:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
OvieE:

You should be happy for your useless leaders not collecting tax because the money would still ending in their pockets. Which amenity are you talking. the two hours electricity a week or what? I am waiting.

Under Goodluck, light condition has improved tremendously, I now have an average of 20 hours light per day and pay only N945.00 as monthly charge for the entire houses, sometimes I feel guilty of cheating the govt!

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34)

Driver Caught Driving With No Steering Wheel While Sitting On A Bucket / A US F-35 Jet Fighter Crashes For The First Time,Pilot Ejects Safely / Thread For France Prospective Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.