Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? (2421 Views)

Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? / How Should Sex Be Viewed In Marriage? / Interracial marriages - Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 7:23pm On May 21, 2007
hello everyone. this is my first post and im real excited. i am a nigerian who lives in south africa but moving back to lagos to start up a business online. i am coming with my expatriate(white) boyfriend and our daughter. is it safe to be back in lagos and what can i expect?
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by 4sight(m): 1:48am On May 30, 2007
What would you expect? Nigeria is wiser now even though I dont know when u left. Feel free to come with your husband if you are legitimately married. I am married to a Bahamian and she accorded me a lot of respect here in Nigeria when she came, we wedded here and things have been very smooth and ok. If he is just a boyfriend, then expect some side talks but if u have intentions to marry and will do that as soon as you arrive, dont be afraid to bring him. I hope I helped.
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by SKU(m): 8:02pm On Jun 05, 2007
its silently frowned on, i remember some time ago my parents even 'warned' me bout it. that jus made me curious
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Luish(f): 3:28am On Jun 06, 2007
I am an American woman who looks white, even though I'm both white and African American. I am terrified of the women in Nigeria. Based on what I have seen in the U.S., African women hate when African men marry another race. I'm trying to learn as much as I can to be able to survive while we are in Nigeria. HELP!!!
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Evept(f): 11:20am On Jul 14, 2007
@ pazuzu ,well,i would say some people dont like it but if ur happy with ur relationship u should'nt care what other's think.
that's right and if ur family is ok with it then everything should be even better but if they dont ,go ahead with ur relationship,everyone dont want the same thing in life ,what make's u happy should be what u should go for.

I personally,i've always prefered interracial relationship cos that's where my heart always go for and im happy with my partner now who is white ,although some of my family memember's dont like it but they accept it cos i dont care what they think or say,it is my life .

you should feel free to move to Nigeria if u wish but buy a house in a decent area ,that is safe and secured,i dont know when u left Nigeria but it has changed alot this few years.

And people see interracial relationship in a better way then before,as long as u and ur guy are happy ,there should'nt be any problem at all,i have few of my friend's in Nigeria that are married \in a relationship with white in Nigeria and there families and people around are ok with it and alot even admire it ,so dont worry about that but
it will be advisable to get married to ur guy before moving to Nigeria or when ur there as it is tradition and it secured for u and more accepted in the community etc

I and my partner will be getting a place down there shortly so that we will have a place to stay when we visit nigeria instead of staying in a hotel or with my family.

Good luck with ur online business

Cheers
Evept
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 10:28am On Jul 15, 2007
If you are not married to the man there is no respect
In Nigeria its a big difference if its the man or woman that is white.#
From a very General point of view, lets say it dose not look too good if you are not married to the man.
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by ThoniaSlim(f): 11:22am On Jul 15, 2007
as some one said above it is silently frowned upon. and it depends on the views of the family you come from.
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 11:54am On Jul 15, 2007
She is staying with a white man and has a child from him.
Am very sure her family knows.
In her case its not about the Family its about the public view.
We all know what Nigerians think of Nigerian women with white men.
If she is married to him they will not be able to say anything again.
But as long as she es singel she may find herself dragging her man with other women.
And in her case she too is only girlfriend like the others
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by English1(f): 12:27am On Jul 16, 2007
I guess it depends on the family.

I live with my Nigerian boyfriend and his family are all very nice to me. They don't seem to have a problem with us.

How would strangers know if you were married or not?
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 7:59am On Jul 16, 2007
It may start with the house girl, or the normal gossiping,
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by FBS: 9:58am On Jul 17, 2007
well i think its depends on the family, if they welcome it, believe me, you will have no stress but if they are against, you should be ready for battles and wars!!!
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by mace11: 10:26pm On Apr 27, 2011
in is a reply to another thread that was close,if someone could post my reply that will be find. i wanted to correct BigSis (f)

from this topic
How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-54935.0.html

A half caste in the states is called a half breed, a mut, a mongrel, which means someone who isn't a pure bred. The political correct term to someone's face is biracial/mixed. To use any of these terms is considred an insult. It is funny the terms we come up with for things that have existed for ages. Black Americans have been mixed for almost 400 years, yet we are well aware that we are the descendents of Africans. You can be high, high yellow to blue black in black American society.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
there is some recent evidencefrom dna test that most black americans do not have any admixture with other races,and even if most do,it's not all.second,on the census,africans,those from the islands ect, are included in the black american census,so i think you mean african americans,and even some are not mixed either,maybe most but not all.
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Outstrip(f): 11:26pm On Apr 27, 2011
Why are you worried about others. Why not focus your husband. You will only hear the gossip if you associate with people that gossip. If you separtae yoruself you will be fine
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Blazay(m): 6:07pm On Apr 28, 2011
Goodluck.
I don't know any relative of mine dating or married to a 'white' man or woman.
Take kia! kiss
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by OsheBabaGod(f): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2013
Why not? It's just a kind of good innovation. Honestly I'm also not living in this countrybut u see I'm totally active in participating this forum. Why? To make him proud of me!xoxoxoxox =))°ºH̲̣̣̣̥α̇̇̇̊н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇α̩̩̩̩̥н̲̣̣̣̥α̍̍̊H̲̣̣̣̥α̇̇̇̊н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇α̩̩̩̩̥н̲̣̣̣̥α̍̍̊º°˚˚°=))
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by OsheBabaGod(f): 10:00pm On Aug 24, 2013
Outstrip: Why are you worried about others. Why not focus your husband. You will only hear the gossip if you associate with people that gossip. If you separtae yoruself you will be fine

Indeed. I live in Indonesia and my silly friends keep telling me to stop dating a ******* but that's just a joke in my ear. Mind ur business first jor!
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 11:38pm On Aug 24, 2013
Expect to be DUPED in cash and KIND!
Unless you be CHINESE!!! grin
Na only CHINESE man or woman fit DUPE NAIJA porsin CLEAN AND SQUARE!!! cheesy
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Kanwulia: 11:50pm On Aug 24, 2013
Luish: I am an American woman who looks white, even though I'm both white and African American. I am terrified of the women in Nigeria. Based on what I have seen in the U.S., African women hate when African men marry another race. I'm trying to learn as much as I can to be able to survive while we are in Nigeria. HELP!!!

Then it means you have NOT done your homework(both theory AND practiCUUUMs). kiss

You are gonna FAIL WITH BOTH FLYING COLORS AND DISTINCTION!!!! grin

NIGERIAN women are the least of your problems darling. We only sit TIGHT and pity you! Even after eating ya frontal and BACK LOBES, wink for RED, YELLOW OR GREEN CARDS. . . . He will still PREFER A NIGERIAN BUSHMEAT from his village IN HIS OLD AGE!

Pele my dia!!! kiss

Please ask those 'a wannabees' NL males way don waka hiarrrrrrrandia taya for EUROPE AND 'THE H-AMERICAS' taya!!!!

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

*time for my sweeeeeet work! JOURNEY MERCIES HALLELUJAH!!! logging off * cool
Re: How Is Interracial Relationships Accepted/viewed In Nigeria? by Fruitful2: 9:46am On Aug 25, 2013
Please come home with your man.What is important is that you are happy and your family too.We have so many foreigners married to Nigerian s living in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Abomination and Incest: Nigeria's Baby Wives! / Is It Ok For Both Couple To Share Equally Wedding Ceremony Cost / Share Your Childhood Picture(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.