Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. (5376 Views)

Igboho: Ooni Failed Yoruba By Not Telling Buhari Truth About Killer Herdsmen / Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba / Fani Kayode Is Right - The Name Yoruba(yarriba) Was Created In 1808 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 3:32pm On Oct 30, 2019
Olu317:
Yarib is not associated with the Yoruba's etymology because, Yarib is a name identified with a group of Arab's descendants who lived in Arabia peninsula of Yemen that were Muslims at one time with in Near East history. The etymology of Yarib is different from Yo oru ba which was borne out of a people who use bá/aba/uba for father, king,lord,one who domineer over.

The name Baba is a Semitic name or with an Asia origin amongst Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism,Yoruba Hausa, etc which means, holyman, a spiritual leader of some sort while Ba/Aba is used both by Hebrew and Yoruba group which means, ‘father'. So, it is easy to trace the meaning of Yo oru ba if one consider the manner at which Yoruba interacted with Tapas,Hausas,Gambaris etc outside her domain with other people in their migration from one area to another.

Interestingly, Oranmiyan was the one whose identity was identified with ‘Ba' after he left Ileife in southwest and led the group as the prince with their ancestors language to the Igodomigodo and Oyo Ile which a small yoruba settlement before she grew to an empire in later years.

As far as my studying pictograms/ideograms convinced me of the Yoruba ethnic group as Semitic people from foundation. So pathetic are the people who can't read and decode the inscription on Opa Oranmiyan and Opa Ogun etc but are coming up to lay fallacious claim to what they don't have knowledge on the etymology of Yoruba's meaning. As bad it is, a so called Professor came up and posited that Yoruba has degoratory meaning in Hausa or fulani language.
It is so sad with all these tneory upon theory without fact when in fact, the etymology is as simple as ABC.

yathrib/ Yathrib was a place in mesopotamia till date whose later settled in the arabian peninsula before islam. due to conflict. their refusal to adopt islam led to the migration and their land confiscated and named got changed.
Look for the old name of medina.

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by geosegun(m): 6:11pm On Oct 30, 2019
Olu317:
Yarib is not associated with the Yoruba's etymology because, Yarib is a name identified with a group of Arab's descendants who lived in Arabia peninsula of Yemen that were Muslims at one time with in Near East history. The etymology of Yarib is different from Yo oru ba which was borne out of a people who use bá/aba/uba for father, king,lord,one who domineer over.

The name Baba is a Semitic name or with an Asia origin amongst Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism,Yoruba Hausa, etc which means, holyman, a spiritual leader of some sort while Ba/Aba is used both by Hebrew and Yoruba group which means, ‘father'. So, it is easy to trace the meaning of Yo oru ba if one consider the manner at which Yoruba interacted with Tapas,Hausas,Gambaris etc outside her domain with other people in their migration from one area to another.

Interestingly, Oranmiyan was the one whose identity was identified with ‘Ba' after he left Ileife in southwest and led the group as the prince with their ancestors language to the Igodomigodo and Oyo Ile which a small yoruba settlement before she grew to an empire in later years.

As far as my studying pictograms/ideograms convinced me of the Yoruba ethnic group as Semitic people from foundation. So pathetic are the people who can't read and decode the inscription on Opa Oranmiyan and Opa Ogun etc but are coming up to lay fallacious claim to what they don't have knowledge on the etymology of Yoruba's meaning. As bad it is, a so called Professor came up and posited that Yoruba has degoratory meaning in Hausa or fulani language.
It is so sad with all these tneory upon theory without fact when in fact, the etymology is as simple as ABC.

I just met a young man from a different African country who studied psychology, who was impressed with Yoruba Knowledge of souls, spirits and demi gods hierarchy. I realized that those the got western education at earlier stage are the one that made a mess of our culture and who we truly are...

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 9:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
geosegun:

I just met a young man from a different African country who studied psychology, who was impressed with Yoruba Knowledge of souls, spirits and demi gods hierarchy. I realized that those the got western education at earlier stage are the one that made a mess of our culture and who we truly are...
Yes, the Olifa/Onifa/Adifa did made mess a bit about of culture in a way because they manipulated free service to money making avenue and thereafter the Western educated oriented Yoruba scholars now did heavier mess by calling our way of serving God as devilish though God's love still shield Yorubas by holding firmly underneath to their ancestral religion. An Ifaodu that is the religion of the world.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 10:00pm On Oct 30, 2019
bluke:

yathrib/ Yathrib was a place in mesopotamia till date whose later settled in the arabian peninsula before islam. due to conflict. their refusal to adopt islam led to the migration and their land confiscated and named got changed.
Look for the old name of medina.
First, I have no intention of over stretching this matter because, I know Yathrib history from the angle of Yemen. In fact, Dierk Lange mentioned, in ‘The Lost Tribe of Israel', where he did extensive explanation on the history of Yoruba as ancient Hebrew descendants and mentioning Yerobam(Jerobam) a northern Israeli kingdom that was razed down and expelled from their ancient land as well as Yathrib as a name of Yoruba which he later submitted that it was impossible for Yoruba to be Yathrib because the conquered cannot bear their conqueror's name with pride since they suggestively chased Yoruba out of their kingdom,which is logical.

Furthermore,a popular group in Oman bears semblance name as Yoruba because they were known as the Yaruba (Arabic: أسرة آل يعرب‎) (also spelled Ya'Aruba or Ya'arubi). They became prominent as rulers of Oman between 1624 and 1742, holding the title of Imam .As far as I am concerned, I am familiar with the history of Mesopotamia because of her land's fertility to cultivate, terracota etc to work. And I am sure you know Yathrib was not yet born because Ismael the progenitor of Arabs was not in existence as at the earlier period of Mesopotamia,where the Sumerian culture was the most developed.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 11:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
MetaPhysical:

'Balufon,
You and I not new to each other over this topic of defining Yoruba.

If you ask ten Yorubas of different subgroup about the root of their monarchies every one of them will point to Ife and Oduduwa. No conflict.

If you ask same people the meaning of Yoruba you will get ten different accounts each in conflict with next.

This is a challenge for people like you and I and others in Culture to revive that topic on Yoruba Origin then invite Yorubas to step in and learn. We need consistent answer on Yoruba and what it means.

Perharps, since we have a lead from Prof...we coupd baseline on his output.

Im CCing others with great input on that topic.

Absolutesuccess
Prexios
Olu317
Macof
ObalufonIII
ImperialYoruba
9jacrip
Lawani

Greeting to you from me . As far as I am concerned it is not supposed to be over flogged as being done right now by some mischievous people to gain unnecessary attention. And if the Yoruba ancestors from around 15th century did worked extra hard as did their forebears, perhaps, development and expansion of their technological know how and all what need be done to achieve greatness wouldn't be farfetched. And doing so, the wrong definition of the meaning of Yoruba would have crept up in the first place,which is the same way some evil people did to the creation of the world in Yoruba's mythology by the addition of Obatiseala as creator, Odua and Obatisheala as part of creation link when in fact, these Two myth aren't part of creation in the original ese Ifa that did mentioned or un mi ela as the master of creation because ela is the creator of all things both animate and inanimate.

It is based on my research that I discovered that Yoo ru ba is a descriptive identity of the people who bore it now because no people in Africa use the word ‘ba' to tally with domineer except the Yoruba hierarchial or monarchial or man of high reputation, father etc. Thus, Yoo is identified with break forth, appears, rejoice at seeing the appearance. Ru is identified with rise above, lifted up while ba is lord/King/one who domineer over. Furthermore, common sense ought be applied even if there is a confusion over the etym of the word which i don't believe existi. Therefore Fulani, or Hausa didn't give us the name.

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 2:56am On Oct 31, 2019
Olu317:

Greeting to you from me . As far as I am concerned it is not supposed to be over flogged as being done right now by some mischievous people to gain unnecessary attention. And if the Yoruba ancestors from around 15th century did worked extra hard as did their forebears, perhaps, development and expansion of their technological know how and all what need be done to achieve greatness wouldn't be farfetched. And doing so, the wrong definition of the meaning of Yoruba would have crept up in the first place,which is the same way some evil people did to the creation of the world in Yoruba's mythology by the addition of Obatiseala as creator, Odua and Obatisheala as part of creation link when in fact, these Two myth aren't part of creation in the original ese Ifa that did mentioned or un mi ela as the master of creation because ela is the creator of all things both animate and inanimate.

It is based on my research that I discovered that Yoo ru ba is a descriptive identity of the people who bore it now because no people in Africa use the word ‘ba' to tally with domineer except the Yoruba hierarchial or monarchial or man of high reputation, father etc. Thus, Yoo is identified with break forth, appears, rejoice at seeing the appearance. Ru is identified with rise above, lifted up while ba is lord/King/one who domineer over. Furthermore, common sense ought be applied even if there is a confusion over the etym of the word which i don't believe existi. Therefore Fulani, or Hausa didn't give us the name.

i agree with you, the fulansi and hausas did not give us the name but sultan bello of sokoto only stated that, the people down south were from yarib/ yathrib. Yarib consisted of many ethnic groups like we have in nigeria, (take recent south african xenophobia attack as an example, all nigerians stood as one despite there ethnic differences. i think the same problem arose in this case, when egbas, ijebus and other refused that name initially.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 2:32am On Nov 01, 2019
Olu317:
First, I have no intention of over stretching this matter because, I know Yathrib history from the angle of Yemen. In fact, Dierk Lange mentioned, in ‘The Lost Tribe of Israel', where he did extensive explanation on the history of Yoruba as ancient Hebrew descendants and mentioning Yerobam(Jerobam) a northern Israeli kingdom that was razed down and expelled from their ancient land as well as Yathrib as a name of Yoruba which he later submitted that it was impossible for Yoruba to be Yathrib because the conquered cannot bear their conqueror's name with pride since they suggestively chased Yoruba out of their kingdom,which is logical.

Furthermore,a popular group in Oman bears semblance name as Yoruba because they were known as the Yaruba (Arabic: أسرة آل يعرب‎) (also spelled Ya'Aruba or Ya'arubi). They became prominent as rulers of Oman between 1624 and 1742, holding the title of Imam .As far as I am concerned, I am familiar with the history of Mesopotamia because of her land's fertility to cultivate, terracota etc to work. And I am sure you know Yathrib was not yet born because Ismael the progenitor of Arabs was not in existence as at the earlier period of Mesopotamia,where the Sumerian culture was the most developed.

i'll ask where Abraham came from, because the name yathrib/yarib still exist in iraq till today. Oman was post jihad settlement in the 15th century who adopted islam. Oduduwa and the rest refused to give giveup their gods and were expelled from canaan land now called arabian land. Yathrib referenced by bello was changed to Medina after conquest by the jihadist.
Back to the question, Sultan Bello only gave an historic account of the people of south west nigeria, he did not name them/us.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 12:48pm On Nov 04, 2019
bluke:

i'll ask where Abraham came from, because the name yathrib/yarib still exist in iraq till today. Oman was post jihad settlement in the 15th century who adopted islam. Oduduwa and the rest refused to give giveup their gods and were expelled from canaan land now called arabian land. Yathrib referenced by bello was changed to Medina after conquest by the jihadist.
Back to the question, Sultan Bello only gave an historic account of the people of south west nigeria, he did not name them/us.

Funnily, the story of this man was also captured in Yoruba's history/myth as their original ancestor from Ora mountain known as èbórá/àbórá. Though Abraham is an English's interpretation for him which is popularised through their transliteration and phonetic spelling.The man's name through pictograms/ideograms lettering was אַבְרָם a-b-r-m/e-b-r-m,which is ebrm or abrm which is pronounced as ‘abram' /aboram/eboram through was what was founded in older Semitic pictograms before little diacritics made its way on the classic Semitic language which is about a thousand year ago. Interestingly, Ora/awra/Or exist in Hebrew's history in Middle East as the land from which Abram was born though his ancestor migrated to that land from the mountain or hilly side of Or from among his closely related group called Khanan/Canaan; which in meaning, ‘same thing or same people in both Yoruba language and English transliteratiion, phonetic spelling. This said man moved out of Ora/Or in Iraq to many places before he settled in around mountain Moreh/Moriah,which Yoruba know as Oke Moore.

Abari is not Hebrew because I know the word Yarib exist in Iraq even in Oman, Yaruba exists. Interestingly, Yeorubam/Jeorobam exists prominently in Hebrew's history than any group in Middle East because these Northern kingdom was invaded and destroyed by Assyrian kingdom around 600BC. And it has nothing to do with Migration from Middle East of Oduduwa because he died over 4000± or 5000± years ago. Infact, Yoruba ifaodu practitioners and yorubas were never idol worshipers though they did veered away from God the same way some pastors, some practising and non practising Christian does today,w which was contrary to the Yoruba Christians of European orientation in middle 18th century that wanted to destroy Yoruba history through ignorance. So, 16th century of Yarib has little connection with Yoruba in deep forested West Africa even if Sultan Bello mentioned Yoruba as Canaan people. Do you know yoruba worshipped Ela ? Go to Ileife to confirm it. In the full knowledge of Ela, he brings ‘Ala' ( purity,light,white,holiness) .This is the daily thing you do in the morning as Christian or as Muslim when you pray to God;deity.

This Ella is the name of God in Ancient Hebrew pictogram but Yoruba European oriented Christians, in middle 18th century said, Yorubas worship idol in Ela and called him god of Ifaodu. This same God Is Allah in Arabic. Who is been fooled? This is the reason so many names are not decoded because these European Christian oriented Yoruba people don't have knowledge of Yorubas from their original home in the same manner, you will find some Ifa practioner claiming Ifaodu is a black/dark skin religion, when in fact Ifaodu's colour is ‘Ala'(brightness white/purity and has nothing to do with one group but all humanoids. This is the reason Yoruba real scholars need go back to understudy the said Middle East Classic Semitic language onnection which is actually the foundation of the Yoruba people.

Furthermore, the first letter of ancient Hebrew represent a bull/ram/oxen, which is known as ‘aleph' of ancient Hebrew.This is an inscription drawn from lightning/thunder in classic semitic language of the ancient Hebrew, that's transliterated as el(ə)/al(æ) which is might/strength.This inscription is what is seen in Ora ninuife(Oramfe) which Oyo clan interchange their own for Ajaokuta's (Sango),which is seen in original Ose as symbol of thunder( the symbol of the axe isn't axe in the ancient Yoruba's ancestors lettering but thunder interloping over the other in an X form which an handle is attached to it ). This inscription stand for élé/àlé which is the might/strength drawn from God who controls lightning/thunder.

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by drakeli: 1:14pm On Nov 04, 2019
Osagyefo98:
https://www.nairaland.com/5493376/ifa-great-oracle-does-not

Still reading but let me drop fact as above

In all these epistle Prof Banji couldn't tell us the meaning of yoruba and why no name us associated with it..... highly Insulting.

His beating about the bush shows FFK is right anyway. ........

If the meaning is so important to you, then tell us the meaning of kanuri, Igbo, Hausa, Efik, calabari, ibibio just to mention a few. They all have no verifiable meaning. Just names.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by drakeli: 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Ask any Fulani or Hausa if the world Yari-ba have any meaning in their language

Even Dr farouk Keprogi a native of Borno who speaks both languages have already said it means nothing in the Hausa or the Fulani language.
Exactly. Like when the whitemen had a problem calling “gb” in “Igbo”, they could only pronunce it as Ibo. The same thing with some Northern folks have accent problem calling Yoruba as Yari ba which has no meaning in Hausa Language itself

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 5:53pm On Nov 04, 2019
Olu317:

Funnily, the story of this man was also captured in Yoruba's history/myth as their original ancestor from Ora mountain known as èbórá/àbórá. Though Abraham is an English's interpretation for him which is popularised through their transliteration and phonetic spelling.The man's name through pictograms/ideograms lettering was אַבְרָם a-b-r-m/e-b-r-m,which is ebrm or abrm which is pronounced as ‘abram' /aboram/eboram through was what was founded in older Semitic pictograms before little diacritics made its way on the classic Semitic language which is about a thousand year ago. Interestingly, Ora/awra/Or exist in Hebrew's history in Middle East as the land from which Abram was born though his ancestor migrated to that land from the mountain or hilly side of Or from among his closely related group called Khanan/Canaan; which in meaning, ‘same thing or same people in both Yoruba language and English transliteratiion, phonetic spelling. This said man moved out of Ora/Or in Iraq to many places before he settled in around mountain Moreh/Moriah,which Yoruba know as Oke Moore.

Abari is not Hebrew because I know the word Yarib exist in Iraq even in Oman, Yaruba exists. Interestingly, Yeorubam/Jeorobam exists prominently in Hebrew's history than any group in Middle East because these Northern kingdom was invaded and destroyed by Assyrian kingdom around 600BC. And it has nothing to do with Migration from Middle East of Oduduwa because he died over 4000± or 5000± years ago. Infact, Yoruba ifaodu practitioners and yorubas were never idol worshipers though they did veered away from God the same way some pastors, some practising and non practising Christian does today,w which was contrary to the Yoruba Christians of European orientation in middle 18th century that wanted to destroy Yoruba history through ignorance. So, 16th century of Yarib has little connection with Yoruba in deep forested West Africa even if Sultan Bello mentioned Yoruba as Canaan people. Do you know yoruba worshipped Ela ? Go to Ileife to confirm it. In the full knowledge of Ela, he brings ‘Ala' ( purity,light,white,holiness) .This is the daily thing you do in the morning as Christian or as Muslim when you pray to God;deity.

This Ella is the name of God in Ancient Hebrew pictogram but Yoruba European oriented Christians, in middle 18th century said, Yorubas worship idol in Ela and called him god of Ifaodu. This same God Is Allah in Arabic. Who is been fooled? This is the reason so many names are not decoded because these European Christian oriented Yoruba people don't have knowledge of Yorubas from their original home in the same manner, you will find some Ifa practioner claiming Ifaodu is a black/dark skin religion, when in fact Ifaodu's colour is ‘Ala'(brightness white/purity and has nothing to do with one group but all humanoids. This is the reason Yoruba real scholars need go back to understudy the said Middle East Classic Semitic language onnection which is actually the foundation of the Yoruba people.

Furthermore, the first letter of ancient Hebrew represent a bull/ram/oxen, which is known as ‘aleph' of ancient Hebrew.This is an inscription drawn from lightning/thunder in classic semitic language of the ancient Hebrew, that's transliterated as el(ə)/al(æ) which is might/strength.This inscription is what is seen in Ora ninuife(Oramfe) which Oyo clan interchange their own for Ajaokuta's (Sango),which is seen in original Ose as symbol of thunder( the symbol of the axe isn't axe in the ancient Yoruba's ancestors lettering but thunder interloping over the other in an X form which an handle is attached to it ). This inscription stand for élé/àlé which is the might/strength drawn from God who controls lightning/thunder.

if you can recollect what the egyptian told UN in 1948 when the israelites were settled near them.
They left black and returned white. i think that speaks alot.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by ledamaster(m): 7:16pm On Nov 04, 2019
Another empty barrel noise maker. Imagine this one saying the word "Larabawa is Yoruba name for the Arabs? " lol. Larabawa is an Hausa language l. Unless baba is telling us Yorubas are so Hausa. . all this Oluwole Certificate forging school rs of Yoruba land sef. Like that Kemi and Efe Baba lol a that claimed he is an international boundary dispute expert, and went and fumbled giving Bakasi to Cameron on a plater of gold.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2019
bluke:

if you can recollect what the egyptian told UN in 1948 when the israelites were settled near them.
They left black and returned white. i think that speaks alot.

In 1948 project was a gradual thing to airlift people to Israel after the genocide and no one on this planet earth even the Light skin Hebrew are of Caucasian breed in Europe ever denied their link to dark skin Caucasians Hebrew in Africa. Infact, pictograph support this information in the same way it supported the identity of the black Africans who built Egypt. Thereafter the Hebrews keep funding projects in the world to find the lost Hebrew groups out despite the disconnection of over 4000± . This the reason I would not support the Egyptians hypocrisy because the Israelis kept looking for the ‘PECUIAR' Hebrews who disappeared in the belt of Sudan into the thick forested area,over long period of time which kept bringing back to Africa through the Israelis sponsored projects to seek out the real Hebrews in Africa. It was even at recent time that they came to Nigeria to verify the Ibos who claimed the identity of ancient Hebrews though this claim could not be substantiated which made them not accept what was seen in places they have visited in Ibo land.

As regarding airlift of some of the people found in Africa who claimed Hebrews are the Falasas,Sudanese Jews that I can testify to as dark skin Hebrews who were airlifted to present day Israel. So,the Egyptians government's spokesman isnt correct because even in Egypt, they almost wiped out dark skin Egyptians if not archeological evidence. In present day Egypt's school curriculum doesn't fill it up with strong recognition of the dark skin Egyptians before Islam destroyed this land with their religion through subjugation. The earlier conqueror were Roman Catholic group whom were called Coptic Christians and these people didn't wiped out the history of Egyptians until the land was lost to the Islamic groups which made the last group of Yoruba left Egypt. If you are in doubt,kindly verify the Coptic Christian language of the Old Egyptians and see if these people aren't Yoruba language speakers. It is indeed shocking when I did a research on it .
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 7:53am On Nov 05, 2019
ledamaster:
Another empty barrel noise maker. Imagine this one saying the word "Larabawa is Yoruba name for the Arabs? " lol. Larabawa is an Hausa language l. Unless baba is telling us Yorubas are so Hausa. . all this Oluwole Certificate forging school rs of Yoruba land sef. Like that Kemi and Efe Baba lol a that claimed he is an international boundary dispute expert, and went and fumbled giving Bakasi to Cameron on a plater of gold.
Sir, you don't need to be angry over whoever postulated such definition! After all, there are minor Hausa settlers ,Ibos, Edos, Tapa, Efik and Ibibio, Fulanis, Gambari, Kanuris etc among Yoruba people. Intermarriages can always bring loaned words into a language. In fact, loaned words are in all world's language. So, it is not a big deal if such words is yorubanized into her lexicon. I know Sikiriu Ayinde Barrsiter of blessed memory even used it as a way by Yorubas in his song to identify Arabs though I also remembered Yorubas do call Arabs as Arabo. Even in another song of Sikiru Ayinde Barrister he define Yoruba through the usage of morphemes the root word ‘Yoruba' is trilateral; Y R B. Interestingly, the Yoruba language is descriptive in nature which you and I can understand it if out genuineness, you and I observe and listen to some animals voice or sound to understanding the deeper knowledge of ancient Yoruba ancestors on how the Yoruba language developed . For samples:
dog gbo/bo/hón
cat family han/hón
fowl,&cork kó
snake sinto
éiyé/éyé ké/kó
male goat orú kó/ o bú kó
female goat è wú iré etc.

The point I am making language can either false or true cognate and that is that words can either be shared amongst people through loaned as found in world's language. Hausa language is been fashioned to be linked to Arab's Qur'an while Yoruba have people who speaks a language slightly linked to Quran and heavily linked to Ancient Hebrew and a minor of it linked to Bantu language. Furthermore, all English speaking nations have loaned words added to English language outside this franca lingual. Yhere are some trees that are not found in Europe which are of Africa's origin and these trees are called the names of African origin's name.

Lastly, you can share your own etymology of this word if you have idea.After all,we are all here to learn.

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Obalufon: 9:04am On Nov 05, 2019
ledamaster:
big fool display your ignorance "" larubawa ""
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by meccuno: 9:11am On Nov 05, 2019
[s]
seunmsg:
In major Yorùbá towns like Abẹ́òkúta, Lagos and Ìbàdàn where European Christian missionaries had been establishing churches and schools since the 1840s, the schools were soon identifying all Yorùbá -speaking people as simply “Yorùbá”. When the Christian missionary house in Abẹ́òkúta started a Yorùbá-language newspaper in 1859, they still named it Ìwé Ìròhìn fún àwọn Ará Ẹ̀gbá àti Yorùbá (Newspaper for the Ẹ̀gbá and Yorùbá). But more and more of the growing school literature of the time was already using the name “Yorùbá” in a more inclusive manner. The growth of literature in the Yorùbá language in the course of the last decades of the 19th century advanced the process immensely. And by the last decade of the century, there was not much of a question left among literate Yorùbá, as well as among Yorùbá returnees from the Americas and Sierra Leone, about the name Yorùbá as the group name for all the people speaking the one group language and its numerous dialects. The name Yorùbá thus stood forth, while names such as Aku, Lukumi and Nago dropped away. And it does seem almost certain that the reason why this change occurred so quickly and so seamlessly all over Yorùbáland soon afterwards is that the name Yorùbá had some root and resonance in the consciousness of Yorùbá people in general. Of course, until the 1890s, some writers still continued to refer to the Ọ̀yọ́ as “Yorùbá proper”, but that was soon to fall away.
We must, in conclusion, repeat that the question whether any people had a common group name early in their history is not of much importance. Probably most of the peoples of the world had no common group names for long in their earliest history. All over tropical Africa, very many peoples today bear group names that they were given (by European colonial officials or by neighbours) in the course of the 20th century. The important question is whether a group is recognizable as a group, and as different from neighbouring groups – culturally, linguistically, by their own perception, and by their neighbours’ perception. And historians of West African history would agree that the people now known as the Yorùbá have been one of the most prominent nationalities in West Africa for thousands of years. They seem to have been known as Yorùbá among some of their neighbours in the West African interior long before that name became known in the Atlantic world.
Some non-Yoruba Nigerians are claiming that it was their own ethnic nation, such as the Hausa or Fulani, that gave the name Yoruba to the Yoruba nation, but there is absolutely no evidence confirming such an assertion. Some are also concocting derogatory meanings for the name Yoruba, apparently in order to make the Yoruba people ashamed of their nation’s name – and this is very obviously something from their hostile attitudes to, and hostile perceptions of, the Yoruba people today. There is no evidence at all that the Hausa and the Yoruba people were hostile to each other in their early history. In fact all the evidence that we have about early times is that the Yoruba and Hausa were very closely related, and that there was much trading between their two countries. Such closeness bred, among the Hausa, some myths and traditions to the effect that some Hausa communities (such as Gobir) were originally Yoruba settlements. It was not until the Fulani came with the Jihad in the early 19th century that any strain of hostility showed up between Hausaland and Yorubaland, and that strain of hostility was never between the Yoruba and the Hausa but between the Yoruba and the Fulani. Yoruba peoples’ prolific traditions have nothing about hostility between Yoruba and Hausa.
Ultimately, what is important about a nation is not its name but its record of contributions to human civilization. On such a basis, the Yoruba nation has a very great deal to be proud of, and the name Yoruba deserves to ring out proudly on the earth. My message to every Yoruba person: Your nation’s Yoruba name is a great and noble name in the world; bear it proudly everywhere, and, by your conduct, always strive to enhance its greatness and nobility.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/10/25/about-the-name-yoruba/amp/
[/s]
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Obalufon: 9:24am On Nov 05, 2019
ledamaster:
..another ape ranting here, claiming you know more than a professor of history

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Amanda4life: 8:34pm On Nov 15, 2019
ledamaster:

Whats up babe
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by absoluteSuccess: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2019
MetaPhysical:

'Balufon,
You and I not new to each other over this topic of defining Yoruba.

If you ask ten Yorubas of different subgroup about the roothttps://googleweblight.com/i?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2Fdo_newpost&s=1&geid=NSTNR of their monarchies every one of them will point to Ife and Oduduwa. No conflict.

If you ask same people the meaning of Yoruba you will get ten different accounts each in conflict with next.

This is a challenge for people like you and I and others in Culture to revive that topic on Yoruba Origin then invite Yorubas to step in and learn. We need consistent answer on Yoruba and what it means.

Perharps, since we have a lead from Prof...we coupd baseline on his output.

Im CCing others with great input on that topic.

Absolutesuccess
Prexios
Olu317
Macof
ObalufonIII
ImperialYoruba
9jacrip
Lawani

I think I have a thread about this title some years back. Origin of the name Yoruba. I have a booklet of the same title printed. I'm presently out of print of the same title.

The best I can say is that the present Yoruba are at sea when it comes to the semantic accomplishments of the founding fathers. We may never be able to decode all their works.

We know how the word "Yoruba" came to the literary circle through the Timbuktu scholar Ahmed Baba about the treatise on slavery. But the question is what the very word means.

I have my conclusion that has not changed. It's only fact that will stand for all times. Every assumption will fail in the course of time no matter how well thought out.

I have to give it to the ancient scholars again because all we have as "akanlo ede" as Yoruba comes from the encoded semantics of the same ancient scribes.

Yoruba as a word comprises of three syllables Yo/ru/ba. This is an ancient sentence. The meaning is already given. But to proof it's indigenous, we can harness it's integers.

1. Oruba: there's a place by this name at Ota. All we need to do is find out the tradition built around such a quarter. It's time to let go of foolishness of holding to popular place only.

2. Yaba: here's another inflection pointing to a transitive form of Yarba. Again, this betrayed how unaware our experts are at relativity of terms in Yoruba lexicon and it's corrupt forms.

For instance, the word karamasiki is one word that seems well seated in our lexicon but may be a corruption of "charismatic". Chances are that neighbours have corrupt version of Yaba.

3.Yoruba and Yarba or Yoruba are all words of the same meaning cited at different places and time. Albeit the root can still be found in Yaba for Yoruba/Yarba and Yeobu for Yoba.

Ultimately, we have the integers. But it's left for us to understand how to deduce meaning from what we have. "Yeobu" is the beautiful figurine from Bini, representing the Queen Mother.

History is replete with the memoirs of great many divine feminine, from Isis to the black Madonna, Astoreth, Holy Mary to mention but few. The Yoruba had her fair share.

We have mounds, Tell waiting to be excavated in our lexicon, but we lack professionals who are cut for the unique needs of the Yoruba. Time will tell.

To have entertained such scholastic subject earlier shows ability. The same word has traveled through the circuit of scholars and back here where it all started.

However, how did it fare in the peer reviewed journals that hypnotists here held as "holy grail" of Yoruba history?? What does the renown Ifa priests made of it?

Just one word.

4 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by MetaPhysical: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
absoluteSuccess:

I think I have a thread about this title some years back. Origin of the name Yoruba. I have a booklet of the same title printed. I'm presently out of print of the same title.

The best I can say is that the present Yoruba are at sea when it comes to the semantic accomplishments of the founding fathers. We may never be able to decode all their works.

We know how the word "Yoruba" came to the literary circle through the Timbuktu scholar Ahmed Baba about the treatise on slavery. But the question is what the very word means.

I have my conclusion that has not changed. It's only fact that will stand for all times. Every assumption will fail in the course of time no matter how well thought out.

I have to give it to the ancient scholars again because all we have as "akanlo ede" as Yoruba comes from the encoded semantics of the same ancient scribes.

Yoruba as a word comprises of three syllables Yo/ru/ba. This is an ancient sentence. The meaning is already given. But to proof it's indigenous, we can harness it's integers.

1. Oruba: there's a place by this name at Ota. All we need to do is find out the tradition built around such a quarter. It's time to let go of foolishness of holding to popular place only.

2. Yaba: here's another inflection pointing to a transitive form of Yarba. Again, this betrayed how unaware our experts are at relativity of terms in Yoruba lexicon and it's corrupt forms.

For instance, the word karamasiki is one word that seems well seated in our lexicon but may be a corruption of "charismatic". Chances are that neighbours have corrupt version of Yaba.

3.Yoruba and Yarba or Yoruba are all words of the same meaning cited at different places and time. Albeit the root can still be found in Yaba for Yoruba/Yarba and Yeobu for Yoba.

Ultimately, we have the integers. But it's left for us to understand how to deduce meaning from what we have. "Yeobu" is the beautiful figurine from Bini, representing the Queen Mother.

History is replete with the memoirs of great many divine feminine, from Isis to the black Madonna, Astoreth, Holy Mary to mention but few. The Yoruba had her fair share.

We have mounds, Tell waiting to be excavated in our lexicon, but we lack professionals who are cut for the unique needs of the Yoruba. Time will tell.

To have entertained such scholastic subject earlier shows ability. The same word has traveled through the circuit of scholars and back here where it all started.

However, how did it fare in the peer reviewed journals that hypnotists here held as "holy grail" of Yoruba history?? What does the renown Ifa priests made of it?

Just one word.

Yes, I remeber you had a thread on the subject. The issue was reawakened recently in FFKs mixup of politics and culture.

Personally I believe "r-b" is the root word and Yoruba derived from Irubo.

Im still probing to get to bottomline but so far im content with Irubo for now.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by absoluteSuccess: 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2020
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by mamsong9(m): 6:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
absoluteSuccess:

Just one word.

You people should ask Ifa now, sebi you believe Ifa know everything now. Why are you wasting your time?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / Fuel Subsidy Update: Impasse Would Soon Be Resolved – Sambo / EFCC Files 16-Count Charge Against Bankole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.