Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder (35170 Views)

Woman Obsessed With Murder TV Shows And Books, Killed Victim 'Out Of Curiosity' / Drama In Sierra Leone As Corpse Walks To The House Of Ritualist That Killed Her / The 230Mph Hellfire Missile That Killed Soleimani (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wicked somebody.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by revenge001: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
the man is innocent, he was set up angry
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by seunmohmoh(f): 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
Such an unfortunate incident.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
StacyO:
Why charge him to court?

To explain himself of cos? Abi is he not the one that drove the lorry in which 39 able bodied men died? How will he drive a lorry without checking what is inside?
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by lagdmark(m): 5:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
Mutemenot:
Africans dying the in sea while Asians are bn refrigerated, all in attempt to get a better life . Imagine the same Vietnam and China some Nigerians fight to get to.. inside life angry
A lesson to some Nigerians struggling to escape to countries where the citizens of those countries themselves are on the run.
They will tell you every where is paradise except naija.

2 Likes

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Conceptman: 5:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
The race to be better in life is challenging, if you make it to the top ,be kind to help someone because u were only lucky to be among those who make it through. Life is tough when you just want to do anything to have a better life, it's so unfortunate that human don't just want to consider the fate of others who are out there struggling. When they seek your help, please dont look down on them, just try your best with the little you can do to help their situation

Contact Concept Aluminium Services for your aluminium windows and projects, we offer great services and affordable prices, Tel:09034377258 WhatsApp
Email: conceptaluminiumservice@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by oshe11: 5:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
sweetgala:

Because they were paid to transport items which need to be kept at a certain temperature. Delivering the items in any other state may damage the items and voids the terms of transport.

Also the cold temperatures makes it impossible for thermal imaging devices to pick up heat signatures from the people inside

Now I get

Didn't follow up the Initial story, though it was an empty truck filled with immigrants
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by seunmohmoh(f): 5:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
logon599:
Honestly initially I argued that this driver could be an innocent driver who thought he was driving a truck carrying biscuits but then I thought of it- before those people died there's no way they won't have been screaming and banging on the truck. No matter how thick the truck was, there's no way the driver won't have heard a faint scream or a faint bang. So that alone makes me believe he was part of the whole scheme.
What a tragic and horrifying way to go.

Besides I've been thinking how did they convince 39 adults to enter a refrigerated truck and remain there for hours and that nothing will go wrong?? Were they hypnotized? Guess we'll never know
He wasn't the only one who drove. They might have died before he took over the truck.

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by emmyskies(m): 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
Chi59:
This fine guy. Love his eyes... Chai! Justice must be served anyways.
Ehen.... I don catch u cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by victorjoe(m): 5:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
I remember Ibadan, many years ago. There was serious fuel scarcity. People wanted to get to Lagos so they boarded one of these trucks belonging to a popular company.

They all died of suffocation cos u cannot open the door from inside.

May they rest in peace.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Boulexposed: 5:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wow
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Originalsly: 5:15pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wealthoptulent:

The last driver could be innocent, the container went different stages before arriving at final destination. Could av froze out before getting to his turn to attach the cold container to his truck.

If 4 burglars invade a home and the get away driver remains outside in the car.... and one burglar kills all 5 family members...do you really believe only the trigger man will be facing 5 counts of murder?...and the getaway driver will go free because he wasn't even in the home?

They charged the guy because he was aware of the cargo.... therefore he is an accomplice./accessory to the crime. A whole lot 9f people.would be facing the same charges.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Jamersirwin1971: 5:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
logon599:
Honestly initially I argued that this driver could be an innocent driver who thought he was driving a truck carrying biscuits but then I thought of it- before those people died there's no way they won't have been screaming and banging on the truck. No matter how thick the truck was, there's no way the driver won't have heard a faint scream or a faint bang. So that alone makes me believe he was part of the whole scheme.

Besides I've been thinking how did they convince 39 adults to enter a refrigerated truck and remain there for hours and that nothing will go wrong?? Were they hypnotized? Guess we'll never know

Good thoughts . 39 adults were going for greener pastures in the UK . So maybe somthing went wrong inbetween . I am
Into haulaging of trucks which I manage lots where I am . With that truck I saw on BBC website there is no way the driver would hear screaming or banging . That’s a sealed refrigerated truck. When you see the interior of such trucks you would understand better .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by BlackPantherCri: 5:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
logon599:

The 39 people must have even paid to be snuggled into UK. It is a human trafficking ring. Same scenario with migrants from Libya to Europe through the Mediterranean
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by airminem(f): 5:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
This begs the question; why was the refrigerator on? Does it pick heat sensor and auto on ni?
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Qadaffi2idiamin: 6:15pm On Oct 27, 2019
This is too fast to conclude. That's a freezer and you will not hear a word when you're driving a truck even if they're hitting it from inside and the driver must have believed its something that must be frozen hence he turned on the freezer. That guy has a good case. UK police have been making blunders recently.

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by bolayei: 6:32pm On Oct 27, 2019
Jamersirwin1971:

Good thoughts . 39 adults were going for greener pastures in the UK . So maybe somthing went wrong inbetween . I am
Into haulaging of trucks which I manage lots where I am . With that truck I saw on BBC website there is no way the driver would hear screaming or banging . That’s a sealed refrigerated truck. When you see the interior of such trucks you would understand better .

And the trucks are sealed and drivers don't break the seal until it gets to final destination. All they do is just drive from point A to B. He normal to charge him so he can convince the court that he only took over driving the truck from one point to another and he is not obliged to check content.

A driver delivered parts to Perkins on getting there when the logistic officer broke the seal a lot of migrants from Afghanistan rushed out of the truck and was running around like headless chickens. Drivers are only guilty if the seal us broken

2 Likes

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by majamajic(m): 6:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
logon599:

the truck was on sea before arrival , they might have died before the driver continue his own side of the trip

which I believe he might be innocent

just like a driver will go Apapa to collect container load to deliver

delivery note might say otherwise

and u can't open the seal tag

driver might be innocent, it's 50-50

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by petitejolie(f): 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
25yrs no wonder. It was youthful exorbitance dat wont let him concentrate. He must av been playing with the thermometer. He will be like if i raise this thing to 0degree wetin go happen and im also sure na woman matter too cos he should have heard them banging the truck from inside
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by funkyjms: 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2019
airminem:
This begs the question; why was the refrigerator on? Does it pick heat sensor and auto on ni?

This is an extract from one of the articles I read. I hope you understand.

"...He said that smugglers persuaded migrants to enter by setting the temperature at minus 4C 'because no one would get in at minus 20C. They tell these people: 'Look, it's not that cold, all you need to do is to wrap up warmly'. But when they get to the port they turn the temperature to minus 20C because they know that police officers would find it suspicious if they saw a refrigerated lorry with a temperature of minus 4C..."
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
realestniggah:
One girl was arguing with me here that the driver was innocent..that he wasn't aware.. now see...this is not the first time they would be doing this.. Driver was looking to make a quick buck.. I will like to see how the UK justice system handle this.. So far they are doing a wonderful job.

You are not serious

I didn't say that he is innocent. I said that it is possible that he is innocent and we should wait until the police finish questioning him

Do you know what the word "charge" means?? A charge is not a conviction. And an arrest is not a charge!

You really need to learn to read and comprehend! It will help you a lot!
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
sapoyoro:

the people might have died long before the driver picked up the truck.

Thank you! Why are people here so hungry to do jungle justice on someone millions of miles away??

They won't even consider the facts or go and find out how importation, transport and border security work

They are still looking for the guy who dropped the truck/container at the Belgian port in the first place so this thing is far from over
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by airminem(f): 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
funkyjms:

This is an extract from one of the articles I read. I hope you understand.

"...He said that smugglers persuaded migrants to enter by setting the temperature at minus 4C 'because no one would get in at minus 20C. They tell these people: 'Look, it's not that cold, all you need to do is to wrap up warmly'. But when they get to the port they turn the temperature to minus 20C because they know that police officers would find it suspicious if they saw a refrigerated lorry with a temperature of minus 4C..."
what a terrible tragedy always met by immigrants
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 7:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lamasta:

To explain himself of cos? Abi is he not the one that drove the lorry in which 39 able bodied men died? How will he drive a lorry without checking what is inside?

Those containers are sealed! How do you expect somebody to meet a sealed container that has passed through security checks and start wondering what may or may not be inside when he has a deadline to drop it at its destination

The border forces are supposed to check that stuff and force the drivers to check properly instead of rushing

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2019
midnighter:

Those containers are sealed! How do you expect somebody to meet a sealed container that has passed through security checks and start wondering what may or may not be inside when he has a deadline to drop it at its destination

The border forces are supposed to check that stuff

No matter how sealed the container might be as a driver he is suppose to know what is inside the container for security purpose and its because he did not do that that is what is getting him into trouble now.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lamasta:

No matter how sealed the container might be as a driver he is suppose to know what is inside the container for security purpose and its because he did not do that that is what is getting him into trouble now.

I understand what you are saying, but

The container can be sealed at another location and then he is given an invoice telling him what's inside.

The border security don't have enough staff so they tell drivers to check for themselves what may be inside, which leads to irregularities. Besides there are only some staff who know how to interpret scans

The driver does his own checks in the presence of staff, if they give him the go ahead then he is free to take it

The heat sensor is not the only available technology but the Belgian port had bad security

At times they are coerced by gangs to carry people

The fact that the media has jumped the gun and plastered his face all over doesn't mean he is guilty, we have to follow the story
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by ewizard1: 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
oshe11:

My Own question is, why did they switch ON the Refrigerator?
To make the people undetected.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by smileyoo: 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
desperation can make one to act foolishly, how can an adult be convinced to walk into a refrigerated truck? its succide.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 8:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
airminem:

It was on because he was transporting biscuits. They need to be kept at a certain temperature otherwise they will spoil and he will get into trouble

They entered there to escape the heat sensor but sniffer dogs would still have picked them up. That Belgian port only has heat sensor so smugglers targeted it because their security is not too good

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 8:22pm On Oct 27, 2019
henryobinna:
25 years old... Jeez.

Why is he being charged with murder? When investigation isn't done yet

He has been charged, he will appear before magistrates tomorrow

A charge is not a conclusion of guilt but a conviction is

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ugandan Paratroopers Crash Land On Spectators At 60th Independence / In Pictures: Ukraine On Edge Amid Fears Of A Russian Invasion / What Is Hamas, What Is Happening In Israel And Gaza Strip, And Other Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.