Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,977 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? (856 Views)

Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. / Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene / Parents Arrange Wife For Their 21-Year-Old Son Who Has SS Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by fulli16(m): 8:51am On Oct 27, 2019
Good morning nairalanders,
I was having a conversation with a friend when this issue came up, she said she had heard from several sources that people with the SS gene are known to be Intelligent. For me, I haven't heard about it and I thought I'd bring this matter forward to the experts.
Is there any correlation between the SS gene and intelligence?
Is there any scientific or conventional rationale to this theory?
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by ednut1(m): 9:35am On Oct 27, 2019
No such correlation. Brain and blood group are not even in the same place

4 Likes

Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by OiOi: 10:33am On Oct 27, 2019
Having the SS genotype, some societies give you the impression that you are on the brink of death.

This could make you think fast and deep about life and hence enhance your reasoning faculty.

Although this may have no direct bearing on intelligence per-say

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by edoairways: 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
There is no significant relationship between brilliance and genotype it is a false fallacy many had swallowed for long.in a Similar vein, many Nigerians have this believe that lefthand persons are brilliant however I have seen many dull lefthand. When a phenomenon moves towards a direction people tend to stereotype and believe certain things without thinking. This logic can be likened to where certain tribes are involved in scandalous act. People tend to stereotype them to be evil whereas there are exceptions. Many Nigerians tend to turn blind to those exceptions because they want to follow the crowd

2 Likes

Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by em19em6: 4:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by midnighter(f): 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
No but it confers resistance to malaria which is why the gene is so popular around this area

When malaria goes, sickle cell will go
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Blackmiserable(m): 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
midnighter:
No but it confers resistance to malaria which is why the gene is so popular around this area

How was service?
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Omojudy: 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
No wonder my mum was brilliant! Ok bye.
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by fulli16(m): 6:40am On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

Does it mean Sicklers don't get malaria?
Cause I'm confused o... Malaria no dey fear anybody for this country na.
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Suelove(f): 7:01am On Oct 28, 2019
I believe any child can be intelligent (every child is a genius-Albert Einstein) and because they rarely have friends to play with unlike other children, some of them do invest their time in reading their books. So, they outsmart their mates. The same goes to some lefthanded children. To avoid being laughed at, they invest their time and energy on something else.

1 Like

Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by midnighter(f): 8:30am On Oct 28, 2019
fulli16:

Does it mean Sicklers don't get malaria?
Cause I'm confused o... Malaria no dey fear anybody for this country na.

They get it worse than AA but being a carrier, AS is protective against it

The abnormal protein in their blood cells doesnt allow the malaria parasite to thrive as easily as in normal people

So in areas with high malaria, carriers of the defective allele (AS) are more likely to survive. Thats why the gene is common around here

Its called "selective pressure"

1 Like

Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

They can still get it but they are less likely to die from it

The abnormal protein in their blood cells doesnt allow the malaria parasite to thrive as easily as in normal people

So in areas with high malaria, carriers of the defective allele (AS) are more likely to survive. Thats why the gene is common around here

Its called "selective pressure"
Ignorance is bliss, please stop spreading wrong info as people with SS should be very wary of malaria as they are more susceptible to it and can easily die from it. The only group that has some level of immunity are AS. Please be advised.

https://informationparlour.com/best-strongest-symptoms-characteristics-benefits-cons-genotype-malaria
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by midnighter(f): 4:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
Gaggi:

Ignorance is bliss, please stop spreading wrong info as people with SS should be very wary of malaria as they are more susceptible to it and can easily die from it. The only group that has some level of immunity are AS. Please be advised.

https://informationparlour.com/best-strongest-symptoms-characteristics-benefits-cons-genotype-malaria

Yes you are right, I've modified. Thank you
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

Yes you are right, I've modified. Thank you
Thank you.
Re: Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? by Quirekoon: 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2020
Na wa o

(1) (Reply)

Forcefully Sleeping With Your Wife Is Not Rape - Barr. Kutuh / Recipe For Young Men Looking To Marry A Good Woman. / Look At What This Government Has Made My Family Resolve To.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.