Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) (22982 Views)

Got Two Job Offers Today. Please Advice On Which To Choose / 5 Possible Reasons You’re Unable To Get A Job / Sacked By Konga, Customer Service Rep Gets 30 Job Offers On Twitter In 24 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by vezycash(m): 10:44am On Oct 28, 2019
You missed two -

1. The interview is just for show. They've already decided on who they want.
2. You don't know any important person in the company. Real interview question: "Who do you know in this company?" I was asked this at Ajah, in a private company. Now imagine how weighty this factor will be in a government org.

1 Like

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Luxurydriverng: 10:53am On Oct 28, 2019
The trouble of getting and keeping a job is too much, unless you are a professional or consultant it can be frustrating and eventually become very boring. I used to work with a multinational but couldn't keep up with the politics (man know man), pretending to be who a not to please my boss was eating me deep inside. I was eventually laid off months after I got married and expecting a baby. For months i saw my savings went down in Geometric progression I eventually joined the Uber platform now I can pay my Bill's without kissing anyone's ass cheesy

Check my signature to be an uber partner.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Omoslim26: 10:56am On Oct 28, 2019
OP you no add VILLAGE PEOPLE You dey play wit fire oo You better apologize and add their name nw or they come for You
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Originalsly: 11:01am On Oct 28, 2019
dayo2me:
Very educative.

What about those who meet up with all the above yet to get a job?

Remember, people know people that know people is the way to get a job in naija that's why I am still jobless.

If you meet up with all the above.... you will get a job within a month max. Even if it were true ....only people that know people is the way to get a job in Naija ..... the article addressed how to make that connection. As stated earlier .... if not being called after interviewsss.... you need to seriously look in the mirror and ask yourself why?..... then you should go through these 12 points to see where you are failing.

@ topic.... sooo many similar topics on scoring a job.... but I think by farrr.... this is the best... and most appropriate for Naija.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Sirwallace(m): 11:03am On Oct 28, 2019
uniquelyspecial:

Literacy is beyond the ability to read and write Gandhi (2017). You are an Illiterate

Ghandi said that in 2017?
Broooooooos!!!!
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:10am On Oct 28, 2019
Before I give you an answer, I know who is asking?
CanadaOrBust:

First of all what sort of convoluted name is Okunima
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Sirwallace(m): 11:12am On Oct 28, 2019
That dude that said you might do all this requirement and still not get the job was right.

Speaking from experience, I did the panel interview with one of the big 4.
I answered all the interviewers questions perfectly without flipping. I was the candidate with the highest CGPA in my group, you know those strong 2.1.
Network with people on nairaland and linked before the interview and still got dropped by them and my sorry ass is still jobless till date.

Not disputing the fact you have to prepare for these things, but thing is only the recruiters know exactly what they are looking for in a candidate even if you wow them like Obama in your speech.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Originalsly: 11:16am On Oct 28, 2019
kondogbia:

2. Not having the required experience

How do you have experience when you don't have any job at all. So pathetic that this country has become this crazy.

Wasn't this addressed?.... internship and volunteering. Keep thinking jobs are for the elites and politically connected only... you will get nowhere.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Pat081: 11:21am On Oct 28, 2019
dayo2me:
Very educative.

What about those who meet up with all the above yet to get a job?

Remember, people know people that know people is the way to get a job in naija that's why I am still jobless.
Na who know people that get job this days
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Originalsly: 11:26am On Oct 28, 2019
vezycash:
You missed two -

2. You don't know any important person in the company.

Real interview question:

"Who do you know in this company?"

I was asked this at Ajah, in a private company.

....and you interpret this to mean you must have connections. Maybe....but it can also be the company is finding out to minimize conspiracy to commit fraud. ... the same reason large companies shy away from hiring members of the same family.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:27am On Oct 28, 2019
Sirwallace:

Ghandi said that in 2017?
Broooooooos!!!!
na only one Ghandi exist?
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:28am On Oct 28, 2019
Couldn't agree more with the points enumerated up there.

Nice one @Patrick.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Sirwallace(m): 11:31am On Oct 28, 2019
uniquelyspecial:

na only one Ghandi exist?

Nigerian Ghandi I supposed
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by vezycash(m): 11:33am On Oct 28, 2019
Originalsly:

....and you interpret this to mean you must have connections. Maybe....but it can also be the company is finding out to minimize conspiracy to commit fraud. ... the same reason large companies shy away from hiring members of the same family.

You have pure mind good for you. Right in the middle of the interview, a man came into the office and asked the main interviewer to remember his boy (for the same job I was interviewing for).

Interpret that in a neutral way

1 Like

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by qanda: 11:33am On Oct 28, 2019
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by ElasticStone(m): 11:33am On Oct 28, 2019
Powersurge:
You know people have spent their lives chasing shadows just because one motivational speaker told them they are not doing enough. They will be like ,"I started my transportation business with just a tyre", " I only sleep for 2 hours a day", "I started my water factory with just one sachet of pure water". Like that Niger Delta ex-millitant, "I started with just 3 hectares, in 2 years, I have 3000 hectares".

The original purpose of CV was to convey simple information about the applicant. You didn't go to school to study CV writing. Keep improving yourself, yes! But if you have done your part, never think it's because you didn't do enough that was why you didn't get it.

People that suffer the most are not those that get the best things in life. Do your best and leave the rest .

Apt!
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by nwakadivine0806: 11:38am On Oct 28, 2019
Wow! What educating right up , believe me I have learnt alot from this. May God help us that are still searching for Job Amen. Thank you thank you
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by 7pages(m): 11:39am On Oct 28, 2019
PatrickOkunima:
The list is not exhaustive.

please what's the cost of the CV?
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Originalsly: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2019
vezycash:

You have pure mind good for you. Right in the middle of the interview, a man came into the office and asked the main interviewer to remember his boy (for the same job I was interviewing for).

Interpret that in a neutral way

Lol....from my interpretation...remember his boy is the same as don't get carried away and make mistake and hire this guy you're interviewing.... remember... the job is for my boy.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:44am On Oct 28, 2019
7pages:

please what's the cost of the CV?
Pricing depends on experience. Check HERE!
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Heyzee5: 12:06pm On Oct 28, 2019
Powersurge:
You know people have spent their lives chasing shadows just because one motivational speaker told them they are not doing enough. They will be like ,"I started my transportation business with just a tyre", " I only sleep for 2 hours a day", "I started my water factory with just one sachet of pure water". Like that Niger Delta ex-millitant, "I started with just 3 hectares, in 2 years, I have 3000 hectares".

The original purpose of CV was to convey simple information about the applicant. You didn't go to school to study CV writing. Keep improving yourself, yes! But if you have done your part, never think it's because you didn't do enough that was why you didn't get it.

People that suffer the most are not those that get the best things in life. Do your best and leave the rest .
Pls, what do you mean by the bolded?
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by henryhemon(m): 12:12pm On Oct 28, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/12-possible-reasons-youre-not-getting-job-offers-even-though-youre-100-qualified/

Una no dey tire? Repeating same thing every time.

There are other reasons which simply means someone might be actually better than you or they will prefer someone in certain location than you do or resumption dates etc.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Truthbites: 12:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
1st reason is Buhari's induced recession ..up to the 12th reason...my humble opinion though not
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Powersurge: 12:40pm On Oct 28, 2019
Heyzee5:

Pls, what do you mean by the bolded?

The Swift don't always win the race. The strong don't always win the war.

That you put in 12 hours a day does not mean you will do better than those putting in 4 hours.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by uniquelyspecial(m): 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2019
Sirwallace:

Nigerian Ghandi I supposed
Exactly!
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by achiever1991: 12:59pm On Oct 28, 2019
kondogbia:
2. Not having the required experience

How do you have experience when you don't have any job at all. So pathetic that this country has become this crazy. A young graduate that just finished serving will apply for a job and will be screened out for lack of experience. And the children of the elites even get good Jobs even while they are serving. May God bless us all so we will not feel the impact of the difference between the elites and the masses.
may God bless you
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Sirwallace(m): 1:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
achiever1991:

may God bless you

You will progress with job hunting when you remove that mindset and blame from government.
Sometimes round peg in a round hole makes all the difference.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by Omojoshu: 1:23pm On Oct 28, 2019
I have attended interviews yet no job, getting frustrated already. Most jobs now have age restrictions. You see things like minimum of 26,28,29.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by CanadaOrBust: 1:41pm On Oct 28, 2019
PatrickOkunima:
Before I give you an answer, I know who is asking?

My name is straightforward. Taiwo simply means the first twin. In ancient times, the birth of twins (ibeji), was considered a negative event. We were even killed at the time. In the 18th century, the views started to change and eventually it started to be considered a blessing! By the 19th century, the glorification was solidified and remains until now.
Someone like me, the first twin, is usually named Taiwo. It means first to taste the world.
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:50pm On Oct 28, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

My name is straightforward. Taiwo simply means the first twin. In ancient times, the birth of twins (ibeji), was considered a negative event. We were even killed at the time. In the 18th century, the views started to change and eventually it started to be considered a blessing! By the 19th century, the glorification was solidified and remains until now.
Someone like me, the first twin, is usually named Taiwo. It means first to taste the world.

Surname please?
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by CanadaOrBust: 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Surname please?

My surname is straightforward also. Olaniyan means nobility has SWAG. That is to say, we noble people have a special way in which we carry ourselves
Re: 12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) by thundafire: 2:15pm On Oct 28, 2019
All na wash,how can someone get experience if not giving the opportunity to start somewhere

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Jobs That Will Likely Be Made Redundant By Artificial Intelligence / Can A 9am To 5pm Job Make Someone Become Wealthy In Nigeria Without Runs? / Should He Accept The Job Offer As A University Graduate? Pls Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.