Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side (36555 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 31, 2019
xjiggy:
No everything is village people. I left the bank for farming and I'm at peace with myself. Just do what gives u peace and pays the bills. Simple

Sir, what type of farming ?
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by pocohantas(f): 5:58pm On Oct 31, 2019
Naughtysite:

Locate someone that will guide you so that you won't make mistakes.

That's all.

Some friends left banking 8 years ago. They are still alive. Moreover, bankers hardly save money. Why ?

Maybe you should ask the guy that resigned or bankers that do not save. Nigerians don't save- majority live paycheck to paycheck.

Thanks. I'll do just that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by GrammarNazi1(m): 5:58pm On Oct 31, 2019
Crummy:
the subject is singular, it should be 'has', the guy is right
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by izzou(m): 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:
He is fulfilled.

(Sometimes) I feel like resigning and opening a restaurant where I will be cooking afang and semo. I said it once to someone and he looked at me one how. I could tell he thought I am a very stupid girl- one with no dreams & aspirations.

Are you scared of being fulfilled?
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Yodexy: 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2019
I have also been considering relocating to tarkwa bay. Housing is quite cheap, but lack of good water and electricity will be a big challenge.

There are also opportunities for a sharp person to tap into. Renting recreational materials is a good good business there.

Selling alcohol is a hit. Those people party every night at Lambada. But if you're a smoker, sorry is your case o.

You will be exposed to unlimited supplies of very cheap and potent weed and drugs.

I smoked (Arizona) for the first and last time at Tarkwa, and it was completely free of charge.

I started to feel cold one moment and other the other.

It's a peaceful life overall.

Time will unravel the wisdom or folly in his decision.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by pocohantas(f): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2019
izzou:

Are you scared of being fulfilled?

Lmao. When you put it like that, makes me feel guilty.

I wouldn't say I am not "fulfilled" here. There are just days I have a mental drain- on such days, I feel like being so many things. From a trophy wife, to a yam seller, then a restaurant owner. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by izzou(m): 6:17pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:

I wouldn't say I am not "fulfilled" here. There are just days I have a mental drain- on such days, I feel like being so many things. From a trophy wife, to a yam seller, then a restaurant owner. grin

grin

Lol

But then, just follow your heart.... Sounds difficult, but most times, that's where our peace lies
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:

You are young and without responsibilities. You may be better off chasing your dreams before you have kids and have burnt out your energy.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Hoodbilonia: 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2019
Frm 3 bedroom to whr
The weed don mess am up
Soon na colorado
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by GoldHorse(m): 6:42pm On Oct 31, 2019
It took me years to get to the stage of understanding this.

It took another two years to decide to finally quit same banking job and people still thought I was mad.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Halo22: 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2019
For those of you having pity on the guy, do you know what he was going through in the bank? My friend was a marketer with one of these glorified banks, but he was not settled cos of pressure everywhere. At a time he resigned cos his Manager always threaten to sack anyone that doesn't meet up his or her target. You can imagine that kind of modern slavery. Except as an MD, CEO or ED I don't think I will be a banker.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by LyfeJennings(m): 6:50pm On Oct 31, 2019
SBO in a bank would earn nothing less than 500k.
That guy would have planned this 4 atleast 2years plus other savings on the side.
With his exposure in banking, he can do far better
Make Una no go quit Una job o.....
This guy must have planned it all out and well

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:

Interestingly I am at my own crossroads

Been out of work since July. Severance and pension can carry me at my current lifestyle for the next three to four years. Some other things are bringing in money but kind of slowly.

I got an offer to resume at my old place in a contract type role, but I didn’t want that.

I and a guy I have worked with on and off are dancing around each other but yet to fully commit. It’s his office in gbagada

My old boss just called and said guy, our friends at x company have a vacancy

And I am trying to turn my pp into reality.

I was running myself ragged juggling pp and work before.

Trying to figure out the best option
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by manny4u(m): 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2019
This guy is very brave indeed, he just made a decision some of us are so scared to take.
I have a dream of owning a home bus(like the one on the pix below),and travelling round west Africa and making videos showing the world the rich cultural heritage of Africans. This is what would bring me true fulfillment.
I hate my current job though it pays well and take care of my bills. And people somehow think i am happy but I don't feel fulfilled at all.

I am so proud of this guy, I wish I would one day take this bold step too.

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by pocohantas(f): 7:31pm On Oct 31, 2019
thelastorca:

Interestingly I am at my own crossroads

Been out of work since July. Severance and pension can carry me at my current lifestyle for the next three to four years. Some other things are bringing in money but kind of slowly.

I got an offer to resume at my old place in a contract type role, but I didn’t want that.

I and a guy I have worked with on and off are dancing around each other but yet to fully commit. It’s his office in gbagada

My old boss just called and said guy, our friends at x company have a vacancy

And I am trying to turn my pp into reality.

I was running myself ragged juggling pp and work before.

Trying to figure out the best option

I am sure you will figure it out. If I were at your stage in life, I will probably be looking for how to grab all I can and invest too. After all, how much longer can I be allowed to remain in paid employment?

I will collect the work and continue with the personal hustle. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by ubcandid(m): 7:41pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:
He is fulfilled.

(Sometimes) I feel like resigning and opening a restaurant where I will be cooking afang and semo. I said it once to someone and he looked at me one how. I could tell he thought I am a very stupid girl- one with no dreams & aspirations.
are u 4rm akwa cross?
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 31, 2019
madridsta007:

This, my dear sir, reminds me of "aspire to acquire and don't retire but refire".

Awon motivational speakers. That man's village people have held midnight vigil for him.
Oh, well! They said the same to me when i resigned as a mid level executive in a giant telecoms company in 2010. I remember my colleagues saying I have been charmed grin and today, we know who has truly been charmed. My salary was being paid as at when due, my car was being changed every 2 years..in fact, I'd be the one to tear the nylon from it's body. So, they saw no reason why I should leave but I saw what they weren't seeing...greater opportunities.

I left this company without a car. One of colleagues said...remember your little kids and wife who was without a job and I told them my mind was made up already. Though I drank the gari for good months, not funny. From the 7th month, things began to take a new turn. I remember the first contact of 9m naira I won 8 months after I resigned. Today, all I can say is thank God and that's why I always support anyone who could dare fear of the unknown spirit like I did . If you call me a motivational speaker , you're not far from being correct because I'm a living witness. Last year, I had the opportunity of meeting with the USA president. It was a great honour my brother. Only one per cent of the world population could take such a giant step I took and those of us who did so always end up writing the pay check of those who can't. I know you're my brother from the language used in your post. It's unfortunate many of my people love to end their career in the office rather than being a job provider. Good evening.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2019
sonofElElyon:
Be honest please! On the probability scale of 1 - 10, what are the chances of this happening
Plus the guy is now smoking weed daily!

please search for the name Dola Adelegan. He's my uncle who hails from ondo state. Your post reminds me of what they said to him in the late 90s whilst he was in America. He left a juicy position at union bank for a greener pasture in yankee. On getting to America, he got employed by one firm where he ran shifts. On his way back home, he'd stop at a vendor's booth to read news papers and there he saw an advert of a solar inverter company and quickly remembered the electricity challenges we were facing back home. He wrote to them to be their agent in Nigeria but they rejected his request. They said solar inverter would be difficult to sell in many African countries and extra effort would be needed so, they were not ready to move to africa at that time. Some months later, they wrote to him and invited him to their facility for training. He was told he must order some demos for installation in Nigeria. He left USA for ibadan and his friends were mocking him. Some said the village people had finally succeeded in sending him back home. He dared the unforeseen challenges. In short, he installed his first demo at CBN. Cbn said they had 3 automatic standby gen so they're not interested. As our pple always love freebies. On hearing that the demo was free they allowed him install one in the IT dept.

Some months later, the unprecedented happened. The 3 gens packed up and nepa disappointed. The directors were running up and down, panicking. Whe they got to the IT dept, they found out that they were doing their work as normal....the solar inverter did the magic, blinking on the wall where it was installed. They called uncle dola to install the units in all the CBN branches nationwide. When the atm revolution erupted in Nigeria, he was recommended by CBN to all the commercial banks to install the units to power all their ATMs . This man won the best distributor of the year with xantex engineering, the usa company who first rejected his request. He won this award 3 consecutive times. Anytime he goes to USA, he's the one spending money on his friends who mocked him back then, saying solar inverter would never sell in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by sonofElElyon: 9:19pm On Oct 31, 2019
The two cases are absolutely different!
Your uncle established a business and had a vision for the greater good and benefit of his country while making money in the process.. The guy who is a surfing instructor is doing it because he wants to avoid the stress of life. Just wants to be happy... No mention of him having a business plan or planning to have a business or seeking a greater good beyond personal pleasure. Your uncle didnt run away from stress and his reasons for selling solar power wasn't just to be happy but for a greater good and service., Lastly your uncle I believe didn't smoke Igbo everyday! Totally different case bro.

fairfora:
please search for the name Dola Adelegan. He's my uncle who hails from ondo state. Your post reminds me of what they said to him in the late 90s whilst he was in America. He left a juicy position at union bank for a greener pasture in yankee. On getting to America, he got employed by one firm where he ran shifts. On his way back home, he'd stop at a vendor's booth to read news papers and there he saw an advert of a solar inverter company and quickly remembered the electricity challenges we were facing back home. He wrote to them to be their agent in Nigeria but they rejected his request. They said solar inverter would be difficult to sell in many African countries and extra effort would be needed so, they were not ready to move to africa at that time. Some months later, they wrote to him and invited him to their facility for training. He was told he must order some demos for installation in Nigeria. He left USA for ibadan and his friends were mocking him. Some said the village people had finally succeeded in sending him back home. He dared the unforeseen challenges. In short, he installed his first demo at CBN. Cbn said they had 3 automatic standby gen so they're not interested. As our pple always love freebies. On hearing that the demo was free they allowed him install one in the IT dept.

Some months later, the unprecedented happened. The 3 gens packed up and nepa disappointed. The directors were running up and down, panicking. Whe they got to the IT dept, they found out that they were doing their work as normal....the solar inverter did the magic, blinking on the wall where it was installed. They called uncle dola to install the units in all the CBN branches nationwide. When the atm revolution erupted in Nigeria, he was recommended by CBN to all the commercial banks to install the units to power all their ATMs . This man won the best distributor of the year with xantex engineering, the usa company who first rejected his request. He won this award 3 consecutive times. Anytime he goes to USA, he's the one spending money on his friends who mocked him back then, saying solar inverter would never sell in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2019
realestniggah:
If this story is true that man is definitely happy now.

Bank Job might seem glorious.. But they are some of the most demanding stressful job on the planet
My friend has suddenly grown full grey hair. Recently he said he was seeing a cardiologist. He's one of the regional managers. He's always stressed up. I've asked him to resign and start a business, if he loves himself and family
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 31, 2019
pocohantas:
He is fulfilled.

And I'm sure the person has been to Juvenik owned by a woman.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2019
sonofElElyon:
The two cases are absolutely different!
Your uncle established a business and had a vision for the greater good and benefit of his country while making money in the process.. The guy who is a surfing instructor is doing it because he wants to avoid the stress of life. Just wants to be happy... No mention of him having a business plan or planning to have a business or seeking a greater good beyond personal pleasure. Your uncle didnt run away from stress and his reasons for selling solar power wasn't just to be happy but for a greater good and service., Lastly your uncle I believe didn't smoke Igbo everyday! Totally different case bro.

It might look a little different but not without some similarities. the bottom line is...he's doing what nobody every believed (and still never believes) could fetch him a fortune like my uncle, who left his comfort zone in USA to sell a product which had never existed in Nigeria before. The almighty cbn even discouraged him. This guy ran away from stress, the way my uncle ran away from union bank stress in those days, to america in search of a stress-free job. Maje Ayida too was told same thing as an instructor. Now, he's being hired by renown politicians, CEOs and directors of companies to render a service. He lives large around now. Smoking weed or not, that's his personal stuff. If what he does isn't affected by his lifestyle, I see no problems there. My direct boss while I was working in a telecoms company could finish 2 packets of filtered cuban cigar in a day but he remained the best boss ever and that never encouraged me to engage in smoking

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Orpe7(m): 10:19pm On Oct 31, 2019
After collecting enough western union from yahoo boys
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by madridsta007(m): 11:01pm On Oct 31, 2019
fairfora:
Oh, well! They said the same to me when i resigned as a mid level executive in a giant telecoms company in 2010. I remember my colleagues saying I have been charmed grin and today, we know who has truly been charmed. My salary was being paid as at when due, my car was being changed every 2 years..in fact, I'd be the one to tear the nylon from it's body. So, they saw no reason why I should leave but I saw what they weren't seeing...greater opportunities.

I left this company without a car. One of colleagues said...remember your little kids and wife who was without a job and I told them my mind was made up already. Though I drank the gari for good months, not funny. From the 7th month, things began to take a new turn. I remember the first contact of 9m naira I won 8 months after I resigned. Today, all I can say is thank God and that's why I always support anyone who could dare fear of the unknown spirit like I did . If you call me a motivational speaker , you're not far from being correct because I'm a living witness. Last year, I had the opportunity of meeting with the USA president. It was a great honour my brother. Only one per cent of the world population could take such a giant step I took and those of us who did so always end up writing the pay check of those who can't. I know you're my brother from the language used in your post. It's unfortunate many of my people love to end their career in the office rather than being a job provider. Good evening.

Entrepreneurship-which I presume is the path you took-is good; but diving into without a plan is disastrous. I know a number of people who are regretting that journey into the unknown.
I could say the same for myself; but mine was not a dive into entrepreneurship, I went into something different. This year alone, by God's grace, I have sat on a roundtable representing a certain country (not Nigeria); across the table where our team sat, were the Chinese. I did the same a couple of times and across the table was Colombia, Brazil and the United States.

But there was a plan. A detailed plan and hard work. For this fellow, that plan is not very apparent. Hence my conclusion that it is probably, as it is told, a very foolish thing to have done. But I may be wrong. We do not have all the facts.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 31, 2019
madridsta007:

Entrepreneurship-which I presume is the path you took-is good; but diving into without a plan is disastrous. I know a number of people who are regretting that journey into the unknown.
I could say the same for myself; but mine was not a dive into entrepreneurship, I went into something different. This year alone, by God's grace, I have sat on a roundtable representing a certain country (not Nigeria); across the table where our team sat, were the Chinese. I did the same a couple of times and across the table was Colombia, Brazil and the United States.

But there was a plan. A detailed plan and hard work. For this fellow, that plan is not very apparent. Hence my conclusion that it is probably, as it is told, a very foolish thing to have done. But I may be wrong. We do not have all the facts.
We do not have all the facts....like you said. I Hope he proves lots of maysayers and critics wrong in the end. It takes a brave heart to resign from a paying job. On your career, I can only wish you the very best. Anytime I hear the success stories of some Nigerians, it always gladdens my heart.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by studentofTruth: 12:51am On Nov 01, 2019
doris00:

A Twitter user with the handle @Qossi_ took to the platform to share a bizarre story of an acquaintance who quit from his bank job.

According to the Twitter user, the young man quit his bank job to become a surf instructor for tourist. When queried on why he quit, the young man stated that he is tired of the fiercely competitive struggle in the job.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Qossi_/status/1189458456098607105

See his tweet below;

https://thickmatch.com/nigerian-man-quits-bank-job-life-beach-side/

I did a similar thing — left the medical profession
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by smasher1(m): 1:03am On Nov 01, 2019
doris00:

A Twitter user with the handle @Qossi_ took to the platform to share a bizarre story of an acquaintance who quit from his bank job.

According to the Twitter user, the young man quit his bank job to become a surf instructor for tourist. When queried on why he quit, the young man stated that he is tired of the fiercely competitive struggle in the job.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Qossi_/status/1189458456098607105

See his tweet below;

https://thickmatch.com/nigerian-man-quits-bank-job-life-beach-side/

Quiting a job that pays over 500k a month!
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Roycemadeit(m): 6:08am On Nov 01, 2019
Banking job is roller coaster. You work from morning till night everyday, give or take 6 days in a week. What time do you have to develop and know yourself?
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Roycemadeit(m): 6:09am On Nov 01, 2019
smasher1:

Quiting a job that pays over 500k a month!

is it all about money? Find that thing that gives you happiness and you are richer and the richest man.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by Roycemadeit(m): 6:13am On Nov 01, 2019
If Nigeria was more of a developed country, many of us wouldn't be working 9 to 5, but all the time, because most of the things we need to survive is been provided. Many of us be busy being creative, inventive, talents would shine. But no, you must do a rollercoaster job before you eat.
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by ekmike(m): 6:27am On Nov 01, 2019
I wish I had the courage to do what he did..The beautiful things of life are simple
Re: Nigerian Man Quits His Bank Job For A Life By The Beach Side by sonofElElyon: 7:34am On Nov 01, 2019
Cuban cigar not mind altering.

The guy is a hedonist. Read the original post again

fairfora:
It might look a little different but not without some similarities. the bottom line is...he's doing what nobody every believed (and still never believes) could fetch him a fortune like my uncle, who left his comfort zone in USA to sell a product which had never existed in Nigeria before. The almighty cbn even discouraged him. This guy ran away from stress, the way my uncle ran away from union bank stress in those days, to america in search of a stress-free job. Maje Ayida too was told same thing as an instructor. Now, he's being hired by renown politicians, CEOs and directors of companies to render a service. He lives large around now. Smoking weed or not, that's his personal stuff. If what he does isn't affected by his lifestyle, I see no problems there. My direct boss while I was working in a telecoms company could finish 2 packets of filtered cuban cigar in a day but he remained the best boss ever and that never encouraged me to engage in smoking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jeep Gets Caged In Ogun State (Photo) / Meg Reuben Dancing 'Shaku Shaku' During Her Call To Bar In Ontario / 8 Things The Most Successful People Do Every Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.