Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? (20094 Views)

My Husband Kicked Me Out After A DNA Test Revealed He Wasn’t My Daughter Dad / See How Much I Give My Wife To Cook Food For Us Everyday / Can I Give Up The Marriage At This Stage..pls Advise Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by NiCurious: 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2019
thorpido:
It's a male name.You can find feminine names that also mean beauty for your daughter.
Why do you want controversy for her in the future?

Not a guarantee of controversy, given a lot of respondents are quite unfamiliar with it, and if it was a source of controversy...so what?

Having a slightly unusual name makes people sit up and take notice, speaking from personal experience.

Having a more masculine name on a girl is also subtly steering her away from olosho culture that is so prevalent. The name Aluko acknowledges her beauty, without making a commodity of it.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2019
How can Aluko mean beauty when it's a male name?

Just name the child beauty if looks are so important to you.

If at all it refers to beauty, then it's the beauty of the bird itself, since many birds have very beautiful plumage.

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Lamanii22(f): 8:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

Aluko is her father's name from your example.

I want it as my daughter's middle name.

Never! Better give your daughter a name she'd love when she grows up... When there are names like fifunmi, fifehanmi, Afunmi, you now want to give her "Aluko" ... You better don't let her hate you ...
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Beosten(m): 8:57pm On Nov 02, 2019
nlPoster:
How can Aluko mean beauty when it's a male name?

Just name the child beauty if looks are so important to you.

If at all it refers to beauty, then it's the beauty of the bird itself, since many birds have very beautiful plumage.

There is a saying in Yoruba land that goes thus 'Aluko bi o k'osun, obinrin o se oge. That sentence is deep.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 8:59pm On Nov 02, 2019
You can change Aluko to something else, just modify the letters.

eg Ahluko, Alurkho, Akoh, Aiko, Raluko, Ulko
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 9:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

There is a saying in Yoruba land that goes thus 'Aluko bi o k'osun, obinrin o se oge. That sentence is deep.

You're misreading the proverb.

That's like naming your child tiro (mascara) because it's a beauty product.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Beosten(m): 9:01pm On Nov 02, 2019
NiCurious:

Not a guarantee of controversy, given a lot of respondents are quite unfamiliar with it, and if it was a source of controversy...so what?

Having a slightly unusual name makes people sit up and take notice, speaking from personal experience.

Having a more masculine name on a girl is also subtly steering her away from olosho culture that is so prevalent. The name Aluko acknowledges her beauty, without making a commodity of it.

The best I have read on this thread so far. Bearing unusual name makes people take note of one's presence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by nlPoster: 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2019
Beosten:

The best I have read on this thread so far. Bearing unusual name makes people take note of one's presence.

Yes, but they might also be wondering what were the parents' issues.
Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by trendyprettygir: 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
I had typed a long epistle describing my situation but changed my mind..

If you so much like the name, then give her this name and another powerful feminine yoruba name. All names appear in her birth certificate..

That way she can answer another yoruba name and not change her name to an English one in the future...

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Nobody: 12:08am On Nov 03, 2019
You can name your daughter ''Arike'', a Yoruba name too, sounds beautiful, very feminine, it means pleasing to the observer, one to care for and love.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Crieff(m): 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2019
lx3as:

Head, Leader, General, President.

Oh, thank you lx3as!

1 Like

Re: Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? by Funnyman: 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2019
nlPoster:

I dont know if you're Yoruba but ile lan nwo ka to somoloruko, which is to say traditionally you give your child a name based on your background or family environment.

If you're not in tune with your roots then you could give a child any name, but as someone guessed, are you planning for your daughter to identify as a different gender?

hello, I noticed ur nairaland username was abbreviated, I really don't know it's possible to edit username, can you help me out with the steps as I get unnecessary mentions regularly because of my username.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Say A Prayer For My Son (PHOTO) / Little Nura Ali Aliyu Is Missing / Why Should A Father Make Love To His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.