Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Ms Erykah Badu: Non-conformer Always Will Be - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ms Erykah Badu: Non-conformer Always Will Be (302 Views)

I Can Help Convert Your MS Word File To Epub For Okadabooks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ms Erykah Badu: Non-conformer Always Will Be by Chanbang10: 3:47am On Nov 02, 2019
MS ERYKAH BADU: NON-CONFORMER ALWAYS WILL BE.
Hey everyone, what’s good?
The series is about those artistes that influence my forward process more and the intention, to make readers’ better music listeners’ not just consumers. So, feel free to drop a name about artiste that I should profile.
I would like to talk about a soldier and a healer with words in her music, Ms Erykah Badu (spiritual mother). She is an American Singer-Songwriter, Record producer,Actress and Rapper (occasionally).
Born as Erica Abi Wright. She began her music journey in 1994.She is among the pioneering singers that influence neo-soul genre. Neo –soul is a genre of music that is highly influence by soul, contemporary R&B, hip-hop,jazz, funk, African music, electronic and pop music. Other pioneers include: D’Angelo,Maxwell and Lauryn Hills.She was a core member of the Soulquarians. She has five albums, one live album, two mix tape and has won several awards to her credit.
Peace and light are her mantra and she is not just proclaiming the belief but as made it a guide to her path.
I first relation with her music was on Unilag radio (when it was at its peak. I feel like I owe many radio stations in Lagos the increase of my music love because they were second shazam after my immediate family and friends taste of music).Her song was a background instrumental for a show(“Bag Lady” to be exact), until the day I watched the songs’ video on Mtv that it just clicked more like a healing. Till this day, it is among my favorite songs from Ms Badu and somewhere on my list of soundtracks to my life.
STAND OUT: Ms Badu came into the music industry with a sound that was hers, nothing like hers and she owned it. Although she was kind of all boxed due to neo soul genre but none of her works sound the same. Even compared to Billie Holiday but kept niche and did her sound. Her style, the early years of her career, she was usually on a large and colorful headwraps. These days, she might be on a hat or her hair extra large with many colors sometimes. Of late, she is been including her face.

NEVER AFAIRD: Erykah Badu has never being afraid to called social injustice, discrimination etc. I believe it has been one of her strong points as an artist; she would talk about love, sadness, happiness but never loss conscious of the struggles in her immediate environment sometimes misunderstood.
Her song “Window seat” video where she went nude at the end but there was a message behind the action. She was talking about group think and the need to ask question everytime.Though, she paid a fine for her concept (it was shot in a public place that had great political affiliation) but I loved the fact she stood her ground after incident.
SPIRITUAL: She is one of those artists that reach the soul as long as you listen to her music with the purest of your being. The best way to experience her music is to listen with open mindedness and the music would flow in you. The feeling is just unexplainable. Having a really challenging or rough day, her music is very therapeutic. The spoken word feel she does sometimes in between or before the music starts especially in concerts. Then, the instrument she plays between too as well. She gives you a show to live for.
Do you like Ms Erykah Badu music? Feel free, to say something.
If you have never heard her music, say as well.
See you next time………..
Feel free to drop your comments , observations and suggestions. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Colorless Rainbow - Episode 16 / How To Write And Sell Your Life Story Online / Post removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.