Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study (11569 Views)

Jonatthan Response To Buhari's Disparaging Remark On Nigerian's Abroad / Stella Oduah Disgraced | Tunde Fashola Hailed / Photos Of Olu Falae's Pickup Van After He Was Kidnapped On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by DapoBear(m): 5:58pm On Nov 16, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Now I see some of you guys are turning this innocent thread into a tribal war? First you nearly ignited a religious war by your unguarded remark about muslims being lazy. Now it is tribal war you are baying for. I hope you do not have to continue apologizing for your mis-steps?

I'm simply praising the excellent attitude of certain posters here, not attacking anyone else. Surely no one can be offended by that.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by debosky(m): 6:01pm On Nov 16, 2010
He made a number of bad mistakes and decisions, but I don't consider him a disgrace.

He lacked guidance from people he respected and repeatedly made bad judgements even when he was in trouble.

Let it be a lesson to all these desperate people that want to go abroad by force to experience being sandwiched between white thighs. grin grin

Anyways, tell your friend Olu to get in touch with me. . . .I can get him a job as a factory hand in my Tura factory in Onitsha. tongue
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by nethacker(m): 6:04pm On Nov 16, 2010
debosky:

He made a number of bad mistakes and decisions, but I don't consider him a disgrace.

He lacked guidance from people he respected and repeatedly made bad judgements even when he was in trouble.

Let it be a lesson to all these desperate people that want to go abroad by force to experience being sandwiched between white thighs. grin grin

Anyways, tell your friend Olu to get in touch with me. . . .I can get him a job as a factory hand in my Tura factory in Onitsha. tongue
walai were nie debosky grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by nadneth: 6:13pm On Nov 16, 2010
What is tribal with this post? Some of you guys are so tribalistic. Ok,lets change the character to Emeka(not real name) is from imo state(real state). Hope yall are now satisfied?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by jumobi1(m): 7:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
Umm. Do some of you think Nigerians here think about representing Nigerian when they make decisions abroad? They think of themselves. If someone tells me to do yahozee, disgracing Nigeria won't be on my mind. Disgracing myself would be on my mind.
And this topic is a bit tribal. "Olu (not real name) is from Osun state (real state) "
Was that necessary?
I'm Igbo by the way butwe Nigerian are terribly tribalistic
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by deor03(m): 9:45pm On Nov 16, 2010
nadneth:

What is tribal with this post? Some of you guys are so tribalistic. Ok,lets change the character to Emeka(not real name) is from imo state(real state). Hope yall are now satisfied?

@nadneth
I wish you navigate more on Nairaland to understand the motive of the OP.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) {was this necessary to convey the message}

@OP
When i finished reading the story, i thought there would be part2 where the real disgrace will be told.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) , just went through the regular JCC induction in Utah. This is not a big deal OP
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by juman(m): 11:55pm On Nov 16, 2010
Solo makinde. Amebo.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by buzugee(m): 2:46pm On Nov 17, 2010
is this a real story ?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by SSaemoenl(m): 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
I cant comment much as I dont know life in US, but as much as i can say, Dress ur bed well before moving out as you dont know who u gonna meet while returning back.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by propofol: 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
i don't blame olu.really i don't. he just happens to have the misfortune of living in a country where anything goes and everyone thinks thay are above the law. how many nigerians went to driving school, your driver.s licence is brought to your house and insurance? forget it. everyone does it.weather rich or poor. educated or not.leaders or followers. even people wey dey abroad when they come back na for airport they don dey start misbehave.  tthe situation is sad. we just can't obey. simple.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by marcus1234: 3:03pm On Nov 17, 2010
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2010
at op,where in colorado are you?thats quite good u left utah,had a friend there who was basically looking for a way to run out from there
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2010
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by johndavid1(m): 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2010
milehigh06:

at op,where in colorado are you?thats quite good u left utah,had a friend there who was basically looking for a way to run out from there
grin grin grin you don go enter fire lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 17, 2010
john david:

grin grin grin you don go enter fire lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
how i enter fire?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 3:30pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ignorance to the law isn't an excuse; driving an unregistered, unlicensed car yet without a license is plain stupid and dumb. Had he been here in Virginia, he would $1,000 fine yet with 3months in jail for endangering lives of others. He made poor choices, one that he has to live with but breaking laws that you agree to bind by is another else entirely and certainly isn’t an excuse. He broke Mormon law, even I in DC know they bound by strict laws, see it in all their movies and you would know. I would not say he disgraced Nigeria, however; Nigeria has a bad image when you talk of integrity and trust, so I guess he just gave them one more reasons not to trust particularly Nigerians. I wish him goodluck, let him get himself together and start all over.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 17, 2010
cos he commited traffic offenses does not mean that he disgraced Nigeria,comon people,mexicans do worse and yet no one is saying they are disgracing mexico.talking of those who disgrace nigeria,i will call our govt officials,the yahoo yahoo boyz,the 419ners,the otokotos and definately not someone commiting a traffick crime,if he had taken the cops on a chase,if the car was stolen,if he had killed someone with the car then you can say he disgraced Nigeria,americans do worse,ghanians do worse,somalian and ethopians do worse
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 17, 2010
Meanwhile, Olu informed us that he got an old friend from the internet who lives in Atlanta and that he had asked him to move over to Georgia to stay with him. We were shocked because this was a white male of about 65 years whom Olu had not met before; only online. We were worried that Olu might be harmed by the man in some ways. However, off to Atlanta Olu went, abandoning his studies. He called a few times from there and things seemed to be going well for him. After 3 months he informed us that the guy was asking him for sex (yes, sex with a fellow man) and that he was refusing and so the free money, food and accommodation was no longer guaranteed. Actually, a few weeks later Olu was back in Utah and by then his mother was so sick that Olu has no chance of getting a dime from her. Olu could not get his car back until the deadline and so it was auctioned.

if this part is true then the boy no get sense at all,what wasd he expoecting the white guy to do?feed him,housem him and clothe him for free?the guy mugu no be small.now i can say he disgrace him family
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by scopusng(m): 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
E no concern me weather Olu get driving incense or not. Wetin make me happy bi say Olu make mincemeat of oyibo babes.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
milehigh06:

if this part is true then the boy no get sense at all,what wasd he expoecting the white guy to do?feed him,housem him and clothe him for free?the guy mugu no be small.now i can say he disgrace him family

You don't blame him, he's FOB, so he couldn't read the signs on the walls.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
scopusng:

E no concern me weather Olu get driving incense or not. Wetin make me happy bi say Olu make mincemeat of oyibo babes.

I recommend a lobotomy for folks like you.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by DAY12(m): 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2010
scopusng:

Madman angry
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 3:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
scopusng:

Hear yourself out, see how ignorant you sound.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by scopusng(m): 3:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
manny4life, Please
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by aikuda(m): 3:56pm On Nov 17, 2010
You are right, my comments were pretty ill-advised, and I apologize to you (and others here who I might have offended) for them. Especially the laziness comment.

However, to be completely honest. . . I grew up in a Christian home, but by no means am I the most religious of people. I'm not obsessed with religion one way or another. If you are Muslim/Christian/Hindu/atheist/Shango worshiper whatever, fine, I don't have a problem with it. But regardless of your religion, I want you to be a hard-working, contributing member of society. One who will hold onto views that are compatible with a modern democracy, one built on equality for all people (in particular, women and children.)

As much as it might be bigoted to say this, I don't think Islam as practiced in many countries is compatible with this vision I have. For many, their worldview is more of a throwback to earlier times, when women could not vote or hold political office, the constitution and laws of the land were defined by a religious book, etc. Again, this is not a criticism of Islam itself as a religion, just the way it is practiced.
Heck, Christianity in the 1200s and 1300s was extremely barbaric, just as bad if not worse than Islam today. But that in a nutshell is the problem. Christianity HAD its reformation, its religious revolutions. We've learned to keep religion as part of private life, rather than public. State and church are separated in almost every predominantly Christian country in the world. For Muslim countries, this is not generally true.

BTW, this is not to say this is true for ALL countries or all Muslim peoples. Turkey is for example a great counterexample showing that Islam and modern democracies are not incompatible. I also think that Yoruba Muslims (for example) are people you can build a healthy democracy and society with (or at least, I really, really, really pray that this is true. . . )

EDIT: And sorry to play the lame "my best friend is a" card, but truly in my (extended) family, there is lots of religious diversity. I have Muslim relatives, Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, Catholics, and even an aunt who became Mormon (my immediate family is all Christian, though.) I'm sure if I dug closely enough, I could find some cousins who worship the hill next to my town in Ekiti State

I wish more people on this thread admit to their mistakes like.  I  absolutely respect your honesty.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by suxes2005(m): 3:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
Mr. Olu2

How come you know much about OLU?
Did he tell you the story or wat?

I dont think he disgraced 9ja with this
write up of yours.

Let others learn from it

SHALOM
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 4:04pm On Nov 17, 2010
scopusng:

manny4life, Please

Please what?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by ragdollz: 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2010
Any person who disgraces himself in a foreign country is disgracing no one but his self and his family, so forget about Nigeria. Yes it can stain the ground for future Nigerians wishing to school/live in that state but come on, let's not take things too far.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Ranoscky(m): 4:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
'OLU' travelled to US but couldn't 'maintain', maybe, if 'TOLU' travels to UK, he might catch 'COLD', who knows? cry
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by aikuda(m): 4:22pm On Nov 17, 2010
I understand why many people think this is not a digrace to Nigeria as a country. But I think I also understand why the poster consider this to be a digrace ( to Nigerians living in the small Utah community). Life is already hard for Nigerians abroad because people don't trust us. If any Nigerian is giving the benefit of the doubt, we should at least try to maintain our integrity. I am sure many other Nigerians who could have benefited from the generousity of the mormons but fail to get such support will consider this a disgrace. But if you live far away from this Utah community, you may also be right to say this is just another youthful indiscretion.

Nobody is perfect. At least Olu is trying hard to succeed. But we will miss the moral of the story if we only dwel on it being a disgrace or not to Nigeria. When you are in a foreign land, especially in a small community of that sort, what you do affect how poeple see you and your likes in that community. It is not suppose to be so, but that is how it is. This could happen even within Nigeria.

And please, stop playing the tribal jingle. I am sure the poster did not mean it to be a tribal bashing. I probably would have omitted that detail about Osun state though. But that is because I understand how some people are sensitive about tribal issues here on NL.  there is no need for the reference to his state of origin.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by blackcat1: 4:28pm On Nov 17, 2010
At least dem no go blame this one on our naija Nigerian politicians
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by 9javoice1(m): 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2010
There is no tribal comments in this thread not even one. Anyone that says that there are,  indeed is tribalist we have here . The only problem igbobuigbo made in this thread is ever add the guy's mother position in the society, and where he(igbobuigbo) is from and where he is living at the moment, because the guy in question may be visiting NL and if he is careful he will know the poster. his remark of osun is to prove that his thread is not fairly tale, why cant we say the truth here.

You see as for we that live abroad we understands olu's mistake ,and we hope God will give him grace to survive.

You see it's almost impossible for anyone to please Nlanders just because there are many tribalists out here. Igbo's won't let Yoruba's be and Yoruba's won't let igbo's be that is why sometime Hausa/Fulani's always create propaganda thread so that igbo's and Yoruba's will continue to fight each other. even the educated ones cant read the hand writing on the wall yet we blame politicians all the time while we ourself's are failure.

Am still of the opinion that IGBO'S and YORUBA'S are Nigeria problem because this two tribe holds the destiny of Nigeria. i wonder how Hausa's succeeds in poisoning our minds against each other while they themself adds nothing to Nigeria growth. I still believe that Hausa/Fulani are not yet ready for independent while they holds down the independents people.

Sorry  if i offends anyone here but its just the bitter truth. mark my word the day igbo's and Yoruba's understands each other Nigeria problem will end and then Nigeria will make pr ogres in the world stage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking News: See What Happened To Gov. Godswill Akpabio / N45m: Group Asks Court To Stop INEC From Recognising Buhari As APC Candidate / Yunusa Dahiru 'Yellow': Wike To Help Kano Man Convicted Of Child Trafficking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.