Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study (11570 Views)

Jonatthan Response To Buhari's Disparaging Remark On Nigerian's Abroad / Stella Oduah Disgraced | Tunde Fashola Hailed / Photos Of Olu Falae's Pickup Van After He Was Kidnapped On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyewolejos(m): 4:33pm On Nov 17, 2010
The OP is jobless, the story line is lame and anybody who believe this is still living in the past. There is no state in the US where u don't have Insurance and License they will let u go. U have to spend the night in jail and see the judge the next morning. Moreover if they release u and u failed to show up they will issue a warrant on u. How come the Atlanta stuff? Mehn this guy is taking us for a fool. You must be an idiot to come up with this Yoruba movie.
Arrant Nonsense
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by ragdollz: 4:35pm On Nov 17, 2010
aikuda:

I understand why many people think this is not a digrace to Nigeria as a country. But I think I also understand why the poster consider this to be a digrace ( to Nigerians living in the small Utah community). Life is already hard for Nigerians abroad because people don't trust us. If any Nigerian is giving the benefit of the doubt, we should at least try to maintain our integrity. I am sure many other Nigerians who could have benefited from the generousity of the mormons but fail to get such support will consider this a disgrace. But if you live far away from this Utah community, you may also be right to say this is just another youthful indiscretion.

Nobody is perfect. At least Olu is trying hard to succeed. But we will miss the moral of the story if we only dwel on it being a disgrace or not to Nigeria. When you are in a foreign land, especially in a small community of that sort, what you do affect how poeple see you and your likes in that community. It is not suppose to be so, but that is how it is. This could happen even within Nigeria.

And please, stop playing the tribal jingle. I am sure the poster did not mean it to be a tribal bashing. I probably would have omitted that detail about Osun state though. But that is because I understand how some people are sensitive about tribal issues here on NL.  there is no need for the reference to his state of origin.

Nice one, but Olu is a human being first, then a Nigerian. And human beings will always make mistakes. I don't think he or any one will be considering nationality when they get tempted to break the law/misbehave. I think it's high time we put this patriotism thing to one side and just do good for our own sake and not for the sake of the country. Nigeria can take care of herself, haba.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by aikuda(m): 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2010
@9ja voice,

I was buying your comment until your unneccessary rant about hausa/faulani being the problem of nigeria.

With all due respect, no one tribe is the problem of Nigeria. It is flatly wrong to suggest only Hausa/Fulani causes all the propbel we have in the country. We should all take resposbilties for our failures.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by igbobuigbo: 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyewolejos:

The OP is jobless, the story line is lame and anybody who believe this is still living in the past. There is no state in the US where u don't have Insurance and License they will let u go. U have to spend the night in jail and see the judge the next morning. Moreover if they release u and u failed to show up they will issue a warrant on u. How come the Atlanta stuff? Mehn this guy is taking us for a fool. You must be an  to come up with this Yoruba movie.
Arrant Nonsense

Are you then jobless to come and read a story written by another jobless person? How did you know he did not report to the police when asked to do so? I did state that my story was a summary of the key events. Yes, he was arrested, taken in, but released same day. Then he faced the judge thereafter where he was fined and all that. The rest can be imagined by your likes. Many Nigerians have become too tribalistic to have an meaningful conversation with. Phew!!!!
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Pennywise(m): 4:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyewolejos:

The OP is jobless, the story line is lame and anybody who believe this is still living in the past. There is no state in the US where u don't have Insurance and License they will let u go. U have to spend the night in jail and see the judge the next morning. Moreover if they release u and u failed to show up they will issue a warrant on u. How come the Atlanta stuff? Mehn this guy is taking us for a fool. You must be an  to come up with this Yoruba movie.
Arrant Nonsense

Stop hyperventilating bro. In the same US a guy was stopped by a police officer on routine patrol a few weeks ago. He brought out a driver's licence that he last renewed in 1969. It was headline news. Sheriff deputy was interviewed etc etc. Was that a lie or was it made up?

Worse things happen everyday in that country.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by armyofone(m): 4:44pm On Nov 17, 2010
Typical Nigerian students. most of them are like that and they laugh at you working in cafe or tutoring others.
one was telling me i should not work with my scholarships etc. common girl, join sorority, what are you waiting for she would always say.
friday they hit clubs and saturday they sleep all day  grin anyway, to each his/her own.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by comechop(m): 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyewolejos:

Arrant Nonsense

I have to agree with you. The entire story is bullocks - seemed taken right off a nollywood script. Too many holes in the story - driving w.out a license, no seatbelt etc and just impounded the car? lol jokes.

Useless story - trying to discredit Nigerians abroad? What about Nigerians in Nigeria and how they are disgracing us?

Nonsense thread.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by armyofone(m): 4:47pm On Nov 17, 2010
thank God for the rules of the road in USA  grin grin some don't know it is a MUST to have driving license and a MUST to use carseat if you have a child in your car,
Na naija we dey wey car seat for a child and seat belt are for Alien species?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by aikuda(m): 4:47pm On Nov 17, 2010
@ragdolz: Nice one, but Olu is a human being first, then a Nigerian. And human beings will always make mistakes. I don't think he or any one will be considering nationality when they get tempted to break the law/misbehave. I think it's high time we put this patriotism thing to one side and just do good for our own sake and not for the sake of the country. Nigeria can take care of herself, haba.

I perfectly understand your reasoning. It makes perfect sense in explaining how we humans behave when faced with difficulties. I probably would have not fared better than Olu. And Maybe spaking of Nigeria is too broad. But my point is that sometimes its a good idea to think about your community (just as you would think about your family) when considering a course of actions (not that I normally do that-lol). I am just traying to make sense of the posters argument. I may be wrong.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by armyofone(m): 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
there is no state where you don't have insurance, but some would prefer not to have it don't you know?

i have heard students saying no need for insurance all the time.
some say the process is too much: learner permit, take test. license, another test plus driving test which some people do 10 times grin failing one road test or another grin then insurance etc so it might be possible.

oyewolejos:

The OP is jobless, the story line is lame and anybody who believe this is still living in the past. There is no state in the US where u don't have Insurance and License they will let u go. U have to spend the night in jail and see the judge the next morning. Moreover if they release u and u failed to show up they will issue a warrant on u. How come the Atlanta stuff? Mehn this guy is taking us for a fool. You must be an to come up with this Yoruba movie.
Arrant Nonsense
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by 9javoice1(m): 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
@AIKUDA
With all due respect, no one tribe is the problem of Nigeria. It is flatly wrong to suggest only Hausa/Fulani causes all the problem we have in the country. We should all take responsibilities for our failures  

Correction accepted i really wish IGBO AND YORUBA will understand each other because i meet a lot of them abroad and i know the potent they are made of. so on the side of "hausa/fulani" i withdrew the comment that insinuates that they are Nigeria problem though i don't state it that way. but the truth is that i discovered a lot of Hausa/Fulani propaganda thread here on nairaland.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by igbobuigbo: 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2010
armyofone:

there is no state where you don't have insurance, but some would prefer not to have it don't you know?

i have heard students saying no need for insurance all the time.
some say the process is too much: learner permit, take test. license, another test plus driving test which some people do 10 times grin failing one road test or another grin then insurance etc so it might be possible.

The person you are responding to is an ignoramus for even penning down what you responded to. Thanks for helping me impart to him to some knowledge.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by aikuda(m): 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
@9ja Voice:  Correction accepted i really wish IGBO AND YORUBA will understand each other because i meet a lot of them abroad and i know the potent they are made of. so on the side of "hausa/fulani" i withdrew the comment that insinuates that they are Nigeria problem though i don't state it that way. but the truth is that i discovered a lot of Hausa/Fulani propaganda thread here on nairaland.

Again you have demonstrated what I believe about Nigerians- that deep down inside,  we are all decent human beings who sometimes get derailed  by the frustartions around us. I Applaud your courage and sense of responsibility. We can all learn from this gesture of yours.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by sulad82i(m): 4:58pm On Nov 17, 2010
This is d typical problem lots of 9ja politician kids cause to many of us in d state. A lot of them also attend Howard Uni in DC with big cars paid for by their patents in naija and make life hard for those of us that have to work and pay for things.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by 190: 5:05pm On Nov 17, 2010
I smell JEALOUSY and hatred in this thread

coming from this poster!! how has the guy disgraced us

even the popo flank their citizens everyday so should a foreigner be different!! angry
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by sexxxxy(f): 5:07pm On Nov 17, 2010
Quote from: nadneth on Yesterday at 06:13:16 PM
What is tribal with this post? Some of you guys are so tribalistic. Ok,lets change the character to Emeka(not real name) is from imo state(real state). Hope yall are now satisfied?

@nadneth
I wish you navigate more on Nairaland to understand the motive of the OP.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) {was this necessary to convey the message}

@OP
When i finished reading the story, i thought there would be part2 where the real disgrace will be told.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) , just went through the regular JCC induction in Utah.  This is not a big deal OP

Thamks my brother, me too was waiting for part 2 ,where we will hear the real disgrace,

this story just shows u how wicked naijas leaving outside can be, full of jealousies and enviousness

so the guy came from a naija from a different background to urs, and he obviously had money to buy a car and he bought one, shoot him for that

ok so he made a mistake not registering and insuring it afor which he paid the penalty for by having his car impounded,

his mum fell sick and he tried to find a job ,he moved to atlanta,that didnt turn out right,he moved back to utah and joined a religious group,all in the bid of finding a job,but he slippped, let him , who has no sin,cast the first stone

this guy  didnt steal o,he didnt do 419 o,  or something illegal,he was just trying to find a job and yet your post is ( Re: Nigerians Who Disgrace Us Abroad: True Live Story Of Olu As A Case Study ),

this can only just be wickedness,as someone suggested, u were happy he fell,cos of your own jealousy,

if he felt u guys were truly his friends  ,he wont have moved all the way to atlanta to live with a complete stranger just to survive,

Shows what a wonderful nigerian man u r

olu should be the one posting this post with title, Nigerian students in Utah,wot a bunch of losers!
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by hackney(m): 5:18pm On Nov 17, 2010
I personally did not see where the OLU guy disgraced anybody.

Can his life be seen as a disgrace if he lived exactly that way in naija? ?

I think the poster was jealous of his access to the national cake ( Yum! !) while he toiled like a dog.
mein ! ! life's a bi.t.ch! !
rotflmao.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by hauler: 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2010
The poster is just trying to start some s@%t. Everyone has committed a driving offense at some point in time so i don't see what the big deal is, and that story about sneaking some black girl into the room is pure fiction. So out of all the white girls you claim he had in Utah he had to go and "import" some black girl right? Bullcrap!
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by yeswecan(m): 5:32pm On Nov 17, 2010
The poster is disgusting in character.  He is jealousy and when one is envious of another all he desires is that person’s downfall.  You take up your friend’s problem to a public forum as a case study - well we do not see how Olu's story fit into “Nigerians who disgrace us abroad” you are the one disgracing us with your attitude of covetous (typical Nigerian) – Olu will learn from his mistakes, get a good job and move on but your jealousy will continue forever if you don't look in the mirror.

There are Nigerians who retail drugs all around Europe and America, 419 and the rest of them IF you need a case to study.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by DAY12(m): 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2010
Im so embarrassed that my face turned dark pink after reading d torey all over again, embarassed embarassed mehn dis OP is so envious! YOU RE D ONE DISGRASSING YOURSELF IN PRESENCE OF 200MILLION PEOPLE. angry
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by OAM4J: 5:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
sexxxxy:

Quote from: nadneth on Yesterday at 06:13:16 PM
What is tribal with this post? Some of you guys are so tribalistic. Ok,lets change the character to Emeka(not real name) is from imo state(real state). Hope yall are now satisfied?

@nadneth
I wish you navigate more on Nairaland to understand the motive of the OP.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) {was this necessary to convey the message}

@OP
When i finished reading the story, i thought there would be part2 where the real disgrace will be told.

Olu (Not real name) from Osun State(Real State) , just went through the regular JCC induction in Utah.  This is not a big deal OP

Thamks my brother, me too was waiting for part 2 ,where we will hear the real disgrace,

this story just shows u how wicked naijas leaving outside can be, full of jealousies and enviousness

so the guy came from a naija from a different background to urs, and he obviously had money to buy a car and he bought one, shoot him for that

ok so he made a mistake not registering and insuring it afor which he paid the penalty for by having his car impounded,

his mum fell sick and he tried to find a job ,he moved to atlanta,that didnt turn out right,he moved back to utah and joined a religious group,all in the bid of finding a job,but he slippped, let him , who has no sin,cast the first stone

this guy  didnt steal o,he didnt do 419 o,  or something illegal,he was just trying to find a job and yet your post is ( Re: Nigerians Who Disgrace Us Abroad: True Live Story Of Olu As A Case Study ),

this can only just be wickedness,as someone suggested, u were happy he fell,cos of your own jealousy,

if he felt u guys were truly his friends  ,he wont have moved all the way to atlanta to live with a complete stranger just to survive,

Shows what a wonderful nigerian man u r

olu should be the one posting this post with title, Nigerian students in Utah,wot a bunch of losers!

Exactly my tots. If the OP is truly a 'friend', he wouldn't be here exaggerating mater and castigating his 'friend' online.

When I saw the topic on the front page, I was expecting to read of a Nigerian who raped, murdered, stole or swindled someone

Everything Olu did, some Americans do them too. So what is the big deal? The guy only lacks good advice and has to learn the hard way.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by REALTRUTH1: 6:23pm On Nov 17, 2010
DapoBear:

Nothing wrong with that. They do a lot of evangelism, but don't do any harm, imo.

I used to have very bad notions about Mormons. Their religion is clearly fake and crackpot. But as fake as their religion is, it produces results: hardworking, honest and sober people who are trustworthy and family-oriented. Can the same be said about Christians or Muslims?

Too many Christians cannot be trusted (and I say this as a Christian myself.) Too many Muslims have very primitive ideas in their heads and are lazy.
God bless you Dapo,,,,I ve come to a conclussion that I would rather trust an atheist than trusting certain people because they re christians or they attend a popular religiuos brand,,,
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyewolejos(m): 6:29pm On Nov 17, 2010
The moderators of this forum aint doing their job. People like this OP shouldn't be posting $hit here.
Loads of hatred and jealousy in the tone of the story.
There is no reality in this story
Thank Jeez that we too are living in the same US if not this guy will be telling me cars uses water in Yankee  grin grin grin
U can only fool a dullard like u cos is visible to the blind that the crime in question is too much for someone on a F-1 Visa.
At least they will put an Immigration hold on him. No license,no registration,no car seat and to make matter worst u didn't pay the fine?
Are u kidding me?

Guy u need to stop watching Yoruba movie is really affecting your reasoning./
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Tolulop001(f): 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ranoscky:

'OLU' travelled to US but couldn't 'maintain', maybe, if 'TOLU' travels to UK, he might catch 'COLD', who knows? cry

hehehe grin
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Milay: 6:36pm On Nov 17, 2010
I don see this movie before.

Okay, seriously, I feel for you all n Utah. I know what you mean; I go to school in a nearby state and characters of few people in the Western states with few Nigerians have the tendency of spreading like wildfire. Pele. You all should just make a name for yourselves. Ndo.

As for our brother, I hope he learns.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Jenpoet(f): 6:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
This story is very long sha! tongue But thanks for sharing! I beg tell our brothers to cool down for cash, not to be too desperate! Best of all, tell them to come home, to stay for Yankee is not by force! cool
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Nov 17, 2010
Milay:

I don see this movie before.

Okay, seriously, I feel for you all n Utah. I know what you mean; I go to school in a nearby state and characters of few people in the Western states with few Nigerians have the tendency of spreading like wildfire. Pele. You all should just make a name for yourselves. Ndo.

As for our brother, I hope he learns.

So after reading the piece, this is what you can come up with? What has UTAH to do with this man's behavior? The man MADE POOR CHOICES ALL ROUND and somehow the state has a hand in it?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by fstranger: 6:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So after reading the piece, this is what you can come up with? What has UTAH to do with this man's behavior? The man MADE POOR CHOICES ALL ROUND and somehow the state has a hand in it?

Is this all you can come up with? Ode!
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
I consider d story as a ficticious one, some of us dat re posting as being sectarian or simply put religiously/tribally minded. We should try to show our maturity in our post.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 17, 2010
I consider d story as a ficticious one, some of us dat re posting as being sectarian or simply put religiously/tribally minded. We should try to show our maturity in our post.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2010
OAM4J:

Exactly my tots. If the OP is truly a 'friend', he wouldn't be here exaggerating mater and castigating his 'friend' online.

When I saw the topic on the front page, I was expecting to read of a Nigerian who despoiled, murdered, stole or swindled someone

Everything Olu did, some Americans do them too. So what is the big deal? The guy only lacks good advice and has to learn the hard way.

What's the big deal? Many americans do u see driving with an "unregistered", "uninsured", "uninspected" vechicle yet without even a drivers license? If one of them was missing, understable, maybe spend one night in jail, but all three without a car seat and yet with  no license, please be honest.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Nov 17, 2010
manny4life:

What's the big deal? Many americans do u see driving with an "unregistered", "uninsured", "uninspected" vechicle yet without even a drivers license? If one of them was missing, understable, maybe spend one night in jail, but all three without a car seat and yet with  no license, please be honest.

NO mind them. I don't believe that part of the story because if all that was true, that dude ought to be facing SERIOUS FINES, we are talking THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in FINES, in addition to at least 3 months jail time. He practically got a slap on the wrist there.

Simply driving with a cellphone( even when you have insurance and valid license) will get you arrested in most states today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Lagos Governmet Pays For Forensic Examination Of Lekki Toll Gate / Osinbajo: We Need To Produce Largest Oil Volumes Possible At Cheaper Costs / Osun Governor's Wives In A Show Of Shame - Watch Viral Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.