Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study (11568 Views)

Jonatthan Response To Buhari's Disparaging Remark On Nigerian's Abroad / Stella Oduah Disgraced | Tunde Fashola Hailed / Photos Of Olu Falae's Pickup Van After He Was Kidnapped On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by NubianQ(f): 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin

The topic was long but a fantastic read,

well first of all i hope Olu sorts himself out, also as the saying goes, whatever causes you to sin, chop it off,

olu should hack off his head and chop his brain to pieces and while @ it chop off his Ding  Dong! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

well, Nigerians, or any other nationality making a fool of themselves abroad is not news anymore,

If anyone decides to make a fool of him/herself, well its up to them,

m not a fan of the mormons but they make very good research, so many stories about the lot but hey its a free world,

For the first time i have to heard a fraud story relating to disgracing naija, well Goodluck to Olu! its a crazy world out there,
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by manny4life(m): 10:30pm On Nov 17, 2010
Whether you believe it's a made up story or not, stupid shit happens.

Well, this is reality and everyone should get used to it. This happens everyday; getting stopped by the police. I have heard people been jailed for stupid Poo including this but five offenses at a time, including driving without a license, under Virginia law if those offenses include up to a year jail term or more would be a felony not a misdemeanor. I would say he got it off nice, religious or not, ethnicity or not, he got it fine and has learnt his lessons.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 10:38pm On Nov 17, 2010
@OP, if Olu hadn't bought the 2nd hand Jeep Cheroke, how would things have been different?
Would you have helped him to pay his school fees after his mom got bosom cancer?

no where in your post did i sense any feeling of concern from you about your "friend"s unfortunate situation. all you cared about is how it affects your relationship with the mormon. and it seem to me that you were wishing for his downfall anyway.

to me, the only difference between you and him is that your mom didn't get bosom cancer IMO. otherwise, desperation would have driven you to do the same things your friend did or worse!!

and like most people on here noticed, there was a tribalistic tone in your post. Olu the spendthrift and womanizer. while you (IgbobuIgbo) are the studious virgin who works his butt off to pay his bills.
Olu from Osun state with his politician mom hobnobbying with Oyinlola. while IgbobuIgbo's parents are hardworking business people from Aba from whom you don't get any money. Can you tell us then how you are paying your school fees?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Nov 17, 2010
^^^ do you have to descend to that level? MY GOSH!!! undecided
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 10:41pm On Nov 17, 2010
are you referring to me? what level are you talking about?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
I am referring to your post above. Why do you have to tow the ethnic line there? Why not just approach posts AS IS? By concluding there that the post is tribally motivated and responding in kind, you have essentially brought yourself down to the same level you accuse the @Poster of operating on.

The more we show that we think the same as the tribal bigots on here, the more they continue to feel welcome on here.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
well i noticed a tribalistic tone in his post that i didn't like. and i'm sooo sorry if i offended you for pointing it out as I saw it.  undecided lol
am also sorry for not posting according to your rules ---> "Why not just approach posts AS IS?"
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2010
^I never expected you of all people to descend to that level. How do you know that the OP had that motive?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyinda.:

well i noticed a tribalistic tone in his post that i didn't like. and i'm sooo sorry if i offended you for pointing it out as I saw it.  undecided lol
am also sorry for not posting according to your rules ---> "Why not just approach posts AS IS?"

You don't have to do as I say. Like I said, I didn't expect you to join the gang . . . normally, what happens is when you ignore the tribalists, they move on, but when you feed them, they keep coming back with more and more of the very same cause they know they hit a nerve.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2010
lol. so do you want me to go back and edit my post now or what?

tensor777:

^I never expected you of all people to descend to that level. How do you know that the OP had that motive?

obviously he didn't come here with a blatant tribalistic agenda.
but the tone of his story was  tribalistic to me and I couldn't help to point it out.
it doesn't matter what his motives are to me. I'm more concerned about people reading it and thinking people from Osun are this. . . while people from Aba are that. lol
sometimes, these sentiments are in our unconscious and we don't mean to say it that way. but the main thing to know is that they may have consequences. people read stuff and form opinions based on what they read etc
maybe i was just too sensitive about it. but then i'm not the only one. many others noticed it too.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Nov 17, 2010
Why?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2010
for example, I don't know too much about Utah and this post has contributed to shaping my ideas about Utah whether I like it or not (and it will remain in my unconscious until i learn more stuff in the future to replace it).  And i'm sure the same goes to most people on here unless they have lots of knowledge about Utah already to be able to distinguish fact from anecdote.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by fstranger: 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why?

Because you crying "fowl" when you should be crying "abodi." Coudnt resist. . . tongue cool cheesy
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyinda.:

for example, I don't know too much about Utah and this post has contributed to shaping my ideas about Utah whether I like it or not (and it will remain in my unconscious until i learn more stuff in the future to replace it).  And i'm sure the same goes to most people on here unless they have lots of knowledge about Utah already to be able to distinguish fact from anecdote.

How exactly does this post shape your view of Utah, the state? The origin post did not have much to say on the State itself but on some of the characters, including the main, in it.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by igbobuigbo: 11:15pm On Nov 17, 2010
All:

Unfortunately, some people with Yoruba-sounding names here have not failed to disappoint me that tribalism is an issue in our country that rears up so, so easily. If Olu is changed to Obi and Osun is changed to Imo, will it make any difference?

Ok, I am here to regale you with what happened with all sorts of Nigerians in Utah. Expect to hear about Obi of Imo State too.

Meanwhile, read about Prof Mark here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-552774.0.html
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyinda.:

lol. so do you want me to go back and edit my post now or what?

obviously he didn't come here with a blatant tribalistic agenda.
but the tone of his story was  tribalistic to me and I couldn't help to point it out.
it doesn't matter what his motives are to me. I'm more concerned about people reading it and thinking people from Osun are this. . . while people from Aba are that. lol
sometimes, these sentiments are in our unconscious and we don't mean to say it that way. but the main thing to know is that they may have consequences. people read stuff and form opinions based on what they read etc
maybe i was just too sensitive about it. but then i'm not the only one. many others noticed it too.
I was just surprised at your analysis. Truth be told there was nothing extraordinary or shocking about what he did.
It happens  all the time with guys of his age and class but hopefully he will learn from this.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by fstranger: 11:24pm On Nov 17, 2010
igbobuigbo:

All:

Unfortunately, some people with Yoruba-sounding names here have not failed to disappoint me that tribalism is an issue in our country that rares up so, so easily. If Olu is changed to Obi and Osun is changed to Imo, will it make any difference?

Ok, I am here to regale you with what happened with all sorts of Nigerians in Utah. Expect to hear about Obi too.

Meanwhile, read about Prof Mark here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-552774.0.html

Your Prof. Mark story further exposes you as a fraud. First it was Olu, now Prof. Mark, and all these happening at your University in Utah? Hope you are not one of those Nigerians who spend 8 years in college for a 4 year course. It is only fair that we know your story too, untill then I am not looking forward to your case study on Obi.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by leonaidas(m): 11:28pm On Nov 17, 2010
@OP, pls i nid ur advice, i'm currently a 2nd yr medical student in Nigeria nd i won d lottery(visa). I want 2 knw how easy/expensive it is 2 study nd work in America(L.A)
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Nov 17, 2010
leonaidas:

@OP, pls i nid your advice, i'm currently a 2nd yr medical student in Nigeria nd i won d lottery(visa). I want 2 knw how easy/expensive it is 2 study nd work in America(L.A)

You mean you have not discovered GOOGLE? shocked
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by oyinda3(f): 11:32pm On Nov 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How exactly does this post shape your view of Utah, the state? The origin post did not have much to say on the State itself but on some of the characters, including the main, in it.

lol. well, from the post, i got these ideas

1. that vast majority of people who live in Utah are mormons.
2.Mormons will sometimes help you with your school fees and provide you food, help you secure you a job etc if you join the mormon faith
3. pre-marital sex is punished among them
4. life is cheap in Utah
5. the "norms" of mormons include being well dressed and proselytizing
6.  church service is compulsory as part of the "norm"
7. Mormons in Utah are now wary of Nigerians or blacks.

yea these are broad statements and there is truth in them.
Op didn't necessarily say them exactly the way I posted them but those are the general ideas I got. and that is how stereotypes are formed when we watch movies, read books, posts on nairaland  tongue etc.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by dayokanu(m): 11:39pm On Nov 17, 2010
Oyindaaaaaa
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Gyanosei1: 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
Interesting Story, Kinda reminds me of my friend tunday, he is a very flamboyant and lousy character a times. grin
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by paris10: 11:49pm On Nov 17, 2010
@Ibobuigbo,what is wrong with you? Why don't you leave @oyinda alone and let her express her views? You're are not just what she's saying.

It is not only the responsibility of @poster to be his brothers keeper, its also our mutual responsibilities as Nigerians. I hope you realise that the 'Osun State' guy wasn't just abandoned during his difficult moments. He was abandoned long ago when he bought that car, and he was also abandoned - to murder and mayhem in the streets; to substandard environments; to inadequate care; to a dilapidated rottenness and to a pervasive sense of hopelessness .

This is the deeper shame  of what is happening around us. It doesn't have to be crisis like this to awaken us to the great divide that continues to fester in our midst. The fact that the guy got caught driving without all the necessary documentations doesn't make him lesser a good person. Driving offence is in no way different to any other offence committed, of which most of us are guilty of.

@poster lacks remorse. We don't need to wait for another Katrina before we know that it is our individual responsibility to look out for one another.

And to you @oyinda, keep your critical and great thinking ability to yourself for the sake of this thread, not everyone can analyse the way you just did.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Nov 17, 2010
paris10:

@Ibobuigbo and @kobojunkie, what is wrong with you both? Why don't you leave @oyinda alone and let her express her views? You guys are just not getting her views!

It is not only the responsibility of @poster to be his brothers keeper, its also our mutual responsibilities as Nigerians. I hope you realise that the 'Osun State' guy wasn't just abandoned during his difficult moments. He was abandoned long ago when he bought that car, and he was also abandoned - to murder and mayhem in the streets; to substandard environments; to inadequate care; to a dilapidated rottenness and to a pervasive sense of hopelessness .

This is the deeper shame  of what is happening around us. It doesn't have to be crisis like this to awaken us to the great divide that continues to fester in our midst. The fact that the guy got caught driving without all the necessary documentations doesn't make him lesser a good person. Driving offence is in no way different to any other offence committed, of which most of us are guilty of.

@poster lacks remorse. We don't need to wait for another Katrina before we know that it is our individual responsibility to look out for one another.

And to you @oyinda, keep your critical and great thinking ability to yourself for the sake of this thread, not everyone can analyse the way you just did.

What the cud? lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Kobojunkie: 11:55pm On Nov 17, 2010
oyinda.:

lol. well, from the post, i got these ideas

1. that vast majority of people who live in Utah are mormons.
2.Mormons will sometimes help you with your school fees and provide you food, help you secure you a job etc if you join the mormon faith
3. pre-marital sex is punished among them
4. life is cheap in Utah
5. the "norms" of mormons include being well dressed and proselytizing
6. church service is compulsory as part of the "norm"
7. Mormons in Utah are now wary of Nigerians or blacks.

yea these are broad statements and there is truth in them.
Op didn't necessarily say them exactly the way I posted them but those are the general ideas I got. and that is how stereotypes are formed when we watch movies, read books, posts on nairaland tongue etc.

[size=15pt]ROFLMAO!!![/size]
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by paris10: 11:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What the cud? lipsrsealed undecided

Sorry my dear, not you. I'll delete that line
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by bkbabe97y(m): 12:05am On Nov 18, 2010
oyinda.:

@OP, if Olu hadn't bought the 2nd hand Jeep Cheroke, how would things have been different?
Would you have helped him to pay his school fees after his mom got bosom cancer?

no where in your post did i sense any feeling of concern from you about your "friend"s unfortunate situation. all you cared about is how it affects your relationship with the mormon. and it seem to me that you were wishing for his downfall anyway.

to me, the only difference between you and him is that your mom didn't get bosom cancer IMO. otherwise, desperation would have driven you to do the same things your friend did or worse!!

and like most people on here noticed, there was a tribalistic tone in your post. Olu the spendthrift and womanizer. while you (IgbobuIgbo) are the studious virgin who works his butt off to pay his bills.
Olu from Osun state with his politician mom hobnobbying with Oyinlola. while IgbobuIgbo's parents are hardworking business people from Aba from whom you don't get any money. Can you tell us then how you are paying your school fees?

You said it all!!!
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Omenani(m): 12:12am On Nov 18, 2010
Na wa o! People made an innocent thread into a tribalistic thread. I weep for Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by igbobuigbo: 12:24am On Nov 18, 2010
oyinda.:

The story was not about me, so I did not have to tell how much money my parents were sending me before I took my own destiny in my own hands. You ask how I paid my school fees? Have you heard of the words scholarship/studentship/assistantship/fellowship (s/s/a/f) ? I paid my fees thru one of those and in case you do not know, these are not free monies. You work hard academically and also in other required assignments to get and maintain any kind of s/s/a/f/. If you may know, I asked my parents to stop sending me money because I no longer need it when I got my s/s/a/f which was more than enough for me. Now go and read part 2 of the Utah series here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-552774.0.html . Would be pleased to hear your comments there too.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by AndreUweh(m): 12:34am On Nov 18, 2010
Members of the Clelestial Church of God are amongst the groups that disgraces Nigeria in diaspora. Going to their Altar barefooted, even in the buses.
To Nigerians, it is understandable, but how about people in Bristol, England?. White long gowns, with Aladura hats, barefooted on the streets, bus-stops, buses and in the shops on the days of their worship.
I will not comment on the reaction of the people of Bristol when they saw this group in their locality.
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 18, 2010
^Do you now live in England?
Re: Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study by fstranger: 12:38am On Nov 18, 2010
tensor777:

^Do you now live in England?

Can't you do without stalking people? Why do you want to know if he lives in England? you bloody fa*got!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gbenga Daniel Celebrates His 61st Birthday Today / It’s Late To Override President’s Veto On Electoral Bill –lawmakers / Gumi: Bandits Are Ready To Negotiate And Be Incorporated Into Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.