Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? (18317 Views)

Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Engineering In Nigeria? / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Premiumwriter: 7:20am On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
Rubbish! I don't even understand how all these symbols and jargons relate to life, we understand physics and chemistry are practicable, but that further maths is a fucking scam.A friend of mine said further maths was invented just to scare students and make them feel like failures
why do you have to show your ignorance?

Maths is the bedrock of life. It is the theory of everything, the language of the universe.

Just because you don't know it doesn't make it any less useful.

Every component of the phone on your hands, from the battery, the camera and even the chassis were carefully constructed based on mathematical principle.

Every engineering feats and architecture today were possible because of maths.

9 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Imstrong2(m): 7:21am On Nov 09, 2019
It's necessary but not compulsory. Many people didn't offer it but were able to cope talking from experience
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 09, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Unilag needs to be closed down and converted to market or trading centre with various Departments
Hatred has eaten you up. Better change, life is more than the likes and share or even your comments here.

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Powerexpert: 7:22am On Nov 09, 2019
Further Mathematics is not compulsory but the knowledge of it will help you. Even if you didn't do Further Mathematics in secondary school, grab your Engineering Mathematics textbook and digest it, with that you're good to go. The green coloured Engineering Mathematics then was easy to follow, I wouldn't know the colour now, Advanced red Engineering Mathematics comes later (300l). In all while studying Engineering, don't rely only on books, have a mentor in the field, YouTube for DIYs, ebooks/books, software for hands on and don't rely only on what your lecturer will teach you. If not you'll cram to pass and later face the real world problem.

4 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by kobosmart(m): 7:22am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
I am aspiring to study computer engineering in unilag and I want to know if further maths is compulsory. I studied further maths in secondary school but I didn't write it in waec. I passed excellently in maths, physics, chemistry, English and other subject.
Pls I need answers
undecided no o u need gov't and commerce to study engineering
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by janettee(f): 7:28am On Nov 09, 2019
hustla:
Only in a country that is as backward as Nigeria

The founder of ACloud guru and one of the best IT instructors when it comes to Cloud Computing, Ryan Kroonenberg studied Immigration Law

.. But Nigeria wey still dey teach Fortran for University go dey shout make you get maths before you fit study the bullshit they call computer science in schools

What a joke

But mathematics is important for computer science. It has nothing to do with Nigeria being backward.

I'm currently studying computer science, not in Nigeria though and Linear Algebra/ Advanced Calculus are required.

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by adanny01(m): 7:31am On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
Rubbish! I don't even understand how all these symbols and jargons relate to life, we understand physics and chemistry are practicable, but that further maths is a fucking scam.A friend of mine said further maths was invented just to scare students and make them feel like failures

That is a very common way people who do not understand math thing of it.

Math and English language taught to students is the basic for next things in life. It took great mathematicians to prove very simple formulas we take for granted and use everyday. It takes a mathematician to prove that the compound interest formula gives you what you need in accounting.

Even Medical Doctors use formulas to analyze issues. Hell, you can be an ordinary politician who doesn't care about math, but when GDP, GDI etc are discussed when you as a politician is the head of government, you will not appreciate what it means unless you know the simple math behind it. These are just very simple relative math but it gets more complicated as other fields totally depend on maths. Hell making, of an atomic bomd or nuclear bomb is math.

Flying into space is a whole lot of math. Without math there is no science.

6 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 09, 2019
Gakinola:
Hatred has eaten you up. Better change life, life is more than the likes and share or even your comments here.

Did you read the comment of the person I quoted my dear Gakinola?
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 09, 2019
The problem with Nigeria is that most people end up in very narrow fields of engineering and computer science. This is why there is no understanding that maths is the bedrock of both subjects. Bridges, 10nm pc processors, amazing features in video games, all require hardcore application of complex math.

But over here, you will work in the most basic of engineering jobs, which is why we are having this debate in the first place.

3 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 09, 2019
olayinka63:
I don't know about unilag requirements. Bro you can study any engineering course in any university if you have strong knowledge of mathematics in secondary school and without further mathematics. When you get to higher institutions you will cope. With tutorials and self study, you will cope. I'm speaking from experience.
Not in Unilag. He needs further maths.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by stanliwise(m): 7:59am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
I am aspiring to study computer engineering in unilag and I want to know if further maths is compulsory. I studied further maths in secondary school but I didn't write it in waec. I passed excellently in maths, physics, chemistry, English and other subject.
Pls I need answers
Not really!
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
Pls I need answers
I studied computer engineering. Further maths is not necessary for entering school but it's important to have the knowledge. Very important.

Also, you have to check the requirements of the school. Some schools ask for it while others don't. Just keep taking the class. Even if it's difficult. You'll appreciate it later.

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by anikk: 8:08am On Nov 09, 2019
No it is not compulsory for admission
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Spatta: 8:10am On Nov 09, 2019
I was told many years ago that, English Literature is to English what Further Mathematics Is to Mathematics
Of All the respondents, Is there any Guru in Further Mathematics and Physics?
If you are very bold to say Yes. I am good in the two subjects "Further Mathematics and Physics" and you are currently wasting in Buhari's Nigeria
Send me an E-Mail on "takupenda@gmail.com" Please you must be below 32 "agewise"

I have an advise for you
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 09, 2019
Good morning nairaland I'm new here.please Help a sister, I am not asking for money.. I'm dying of depression.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 09, 2019
Yes I did it but the good news is you don’t need an A but aim for one lol I did lol and what I landed on I was so happy with grin
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by lanrezy: 8:47am On Nov 09, 2019
it is one of the criterion for one to be admitted into her faculty of engineering. I'll urge you to sharply change your course or change to other university that it's not compulsory.

For example it's not compulsory here in FUTA

Well, pls if you ain't well grounded in f/maths pls don't try engineering, just a brotherly advice

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Pato5(m): 8:56am On Nov 09, 2019
Even if u are not required to have background on f.maths (unlikely), you need it for your own good to succeed in the theories of engineering.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by EazyMoh(m): 8:59am On Nov 09, 2019
wman:

If you don't have a credit in Further Mathematics, UNILAG won't admit you to their Faculty of Engineering.
That's not a proof sir, we are asking for a guideline form either the school or JAMB brochure.
It's like this is peculiar to UniLag alone.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by oluwasheun94(m): 9:09am On Nov 09, 2019
I am a graduate of the Faculty of Engineering, University of Lagos. Can I be honest with you?
You can never gain admission into engineering, unilag without having at least a credit in F/M
DON'T BOTHER EVEN TRYING IT

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 09, 2019
Further mathematics is compulsory for every engineering course,just do am jeje

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 09, 2019
o123456789:
learn hacking first, security is the bed rock of engineering. I can teach you how to hack any thing like software, hardware, websites, databases, cars, ATM, banks etc contact whatsapp 09070072553

Dss come and see

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by InansBobo(m): 9:25am On Nov 09, 2019
sinkhole:
It may not be compulsory for you to enter the University but be rest assured that your life will be miserable without it in engineering! Thank God you said you have some knowledge of it already.
even without knowledge of f/maths. With an adept knowledge in Mathematics (core), you can scale through Engineering well

ocelot2006:

Without the knowledge of Further Maths, he will struggle through Engineering Maths that is compulsory and carries a high number of units.
Without further maths knowledge, I didn't/am not struggle/struggling through Engineering Mathematics courses. There's a lot of time and alot of resources to use pull through while in School

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 09, 2019
sinkhole:
It may not be compulsory for you to enter the University but be rest assured that your life will be miserable without it in engineering! Thank God you said you have some knowledge of it already.
Not totally true, i didn't do further math in sec school, i did just basic maths. Studied EEE, math was the least of my problems in school.
I don't even see the point of having basic maths and further maths, they should teach everything together as maths simple.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 09, 2019
askibee:
Further mathematics is compulsory for every engineering course,just do am jeje
Is it?
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 09, 2019
lanrezy:

Well, pls if you ain't well grounded in f/maths pls don't try engineering, just a brotherly advice
Lies.
If you are good in general maths, you are good to go.
Watin dey the f/math sef.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:00am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
Pls I need answers

Very compulsory if you want to make your studies a walk in the park. wink
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by hustla(m): 10:04am On Nov 09, 2019
janettee:

But mathematics is important for computer science. It has nothing to do with Nigeria being backward.

I'm currently studying computer science, not in Nigeria though and Linear Algebra/ Advanced Calculus are required.

LOL
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by hustla(m): 10:05am On Nov 09, 2019
femi4:
Ignorant ...your digital world foundation is maths based

LOL maths based
Continue in your delusion
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by OlujobaSamuel: 10:06am On Nov 09, 2019
It's compulsory in Unilag
A friend lost his admission into computer science during clearance/registration because of further maths, he waited till the following year to apply to lasu.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by femi4: 10:06am On Nov 09, 2019
hustla:

LOL maths based
Continue in your delusion
What you don't know is above you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma To Be Honored By Anambra Man Of The Year Award Organisers / Neco Gce Form Will Soon Close! / Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.