Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? (18361 Views)

Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Engineering In Nigeria? / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by hustla(m): 10:09am On Nov 09, 2019
femi4:
What you don't know is above you

OK bro
Is that all?
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 09, 2019
AmericanDad:
Go and do Yahoo. Thank me later
No thanks. My father has no money to bail me if I'm caught.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by madridsta007(m): 10:15am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
I am aspiring to study computer engineering in unilag and I want to know if further maths is compulsory. I studied further maths in secondary school but I didn't write it in waec. I passed excellently in maths, physics, chemistry, English and other subject.
Pls I need answers

In your Year 1 and Year 2, you will do courses in Advanced Engineering Mathematics, which is simply Further Mathematics and more. You may do Decision Mathematics too.

So yes, it is compulsory. One of the easiest subjects I’ve seen, Further Maths.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by 0monnak0da: 10:21am On Nov 09, 2019
hustla:
Only in a country that is as backward as Nigeria

The founder of ACloud guru and one of the best IT instructors when it comes to Cloud Computing, Ryan Kroonenberg studied Immigration Law

.. But Nigeria wey still dey teach Fortran for University go dey shout make you get maths before you fit study the bullshit they call computer science in schools

What a joke
This post is an example of bad logic
You moan about Nigeria being backward what are YOU doing besides moaning and vituperating.
Anyone can be an entrepreneur.
Entrepreneurs are not technicians.
Technicians /scientist in the US or elsewhere have to study or be trained in their chosen field.
The logic that a particular entrepreneur studied Yoruba is not evidence of what technicians in the sector need to study.

Dangote is building a refinery ,I do not know what he studied but he must employ technicians who know the field.

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by ocelot2006(m): 10:46am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
I am aspiring to study computer engineering in unilag and I want to know if further maths is compulsory. I studied further maths in secondary school but I didn't write it in waec. I passed excellently in maths, physics, chemistry, English and other subject.
Pls I need answers

ABSOLUTELY. As an Engineering student you'll meet Engineering Maths from 100-500Level. I STRONGLY suggest you take your Further Maths subject VERY SERIOUS.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by ocelot2006(m): 10:51am On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
Rubbish! I don't even understand how all these symbols and jargons relate to life, we understand physics and chemistry are practicable, but that further maths is a fucking scam.A friend of mine said further maths was invented just to scare students and make them feel like failures

Further Maths is no scam. Apart from Engineering Maths, engineering students will see it's application in other subjects/modules eg Signal Processing, Control, etc (for Elect Elect Engr. Students).

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by ocelot2006(m): 10:56am On Nov 09, 2019
InansBobo:
even without knowledge of f/maths. With an adept knowledge in Mathematics (core), you can scale through Engineering well

Without the knowledge of Further Maths, he will struggle through Engineering Maths that is compulsory and carries a high number of units.

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by mechanics(m): 11:06am On Nov 09, 2019
oluwasegun462:
Pls I need answers
it's not compulsory for any engineering courses but it will assist you in 100L.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by obillyj(f): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2019
Yes it is compulsory. I studied Computer Engineering and Further Mathematics was a prerequisite. While doing the course, you will study an advance level of further mathematics which is Engineering maths my school called it FEG. Though the school you applied to may not make it compulsory.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by lahmzy: 11:39am On Nov 09, 2019
Further maths is very compulsory in UNILAG for computer engineering,i repeat it's very compulsory,you can't maneuvers your way round it.. it's a must

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by sinkhole: 11:54am On Nov 09, 2019
charliboy654:

Not totally true, i didn't do further math in sec school, i did just basic maths. Studied EEE, math was the least of my problems in school.
I don't even see the point of having basic maths and further maths, they should teach everything together as maths simple.
unless your basic maths ground you well in calculus, matrices, sequence and series etc because I do not know how you will be able to do Fourier analysis or Laplace transforms without basic knowledge of calculus et. al!

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by sinkhole: 11:59am On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
Rubbish! I don't even understand how all these symbols and jargons relate to life, we understand physics and chemistry are practicable, but that further maths is a fucking scam.A friend of mine said further maths was invented just to scare students and make them feel like failures
We do have plenty of Physics lecturers these days without much knowledge of calculus and they are REAL SCAM!
If you say that you understand physics, as in real physics (not History of Physics!), without knowledge of Further Maths such as calculus then you are a scam.

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 09, 2019
sinkhole:
unless your basic maths ground you well in calculus, matrices, sequence and series etc because I do not know how you will be able to do Fourier analysis or Laplace transforms without basic knowledge of calculus et. al!
I did everything you mentioned(calculus, matrices etc) b4 gaining admission tho.
But i don't remember doing further maths as a subject in sec school.
Also, while in higher institution, i googled alot of mathematics.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
Don't say this o, u can't really be good at physics without mathematics

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2019
ocelot2006:

Further Maths is no scam. Apart from Engineering Maths, engineering students will see it's application in other subjects/modules eg Signal Processing, Control, etc (for Elect Elect Engr. Students).
Of course, omo circuit theory was no beans o, especially when we entered 2nd 3rd and higher order differencial equation, i still dey wonder as i take pass that course.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by pseudonomer: 1:11pm On Nov 09, 2019
EazyMoh:

Can you provide proof for this?
In my experience, No! but it's an added advantage.

The word Further Mathematics is deceit. I will simply call it Mathematics.

If you to study Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, and even some sort of Chemistry... You'd need to be sound in:

1. Functions
2. Differentiation and Integration principles
3. Logical Reasoning(Computer Science, Computer/Electronic/Electrical Engineering).
4. Vectors
4. Matrices

Which is what mainly comprises what you guys called Further Mathematics.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by pseudonomer: 1:21pm On Nov 09, 2019
Isnow:

no be smalloo..what annoyed me most when I was in school was that all of those calculations we did..the lectures can never tell you where those things are applicable. no practical nothing...

I will tell you, Mathematics is the core of AI and Machine Learning that is now trending in technology.

Matrices and Vectors are very essential.

And Many More. All topics is very essential... Every new technology that's is implemented is a result of breakthrough in Science Research, Image recognition, your super computing and others.

The founder of Programming Language was a Mathematician.

How do you develop efficient and fast algorithms in software programming without having solid background in mathematics?

If you are not good in Mathematics, you are simply not smart!

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 09, 2019
charliboy654:

Is it?

Show me any engineering discipline that doesn't involve the application of further maths.

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by jamace(m): 1:30pm On Nov 09, 2019
Nigerian universities should leave those archaic Mathematics that are only useful in the 4 walls of the universities.

Educational syllabuses should be modernised so that they can be useful to those who studied them and the society at large.

Getting a degree for pride sake is a useless idea.

Hunger doesn't respect degree o.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2019
pseudonomer:

I will tell you, Mathematics is the core of AI and Machine Learning that is now trending in technology.

Matrices and Vectors are very essential.

And Many More. All topics is very essential... Every new technology that's is implemented is a result of breakthrough in Science Research, Image recognition, your super computing and others.

The founder of Programming Language was a Mathematician.

How do you develop efficient and fast algorithms in software programming without having solid background in mathematics?

[/b]If you are not good in Mathematics, you are simply not smart![b]
The bolded is not true. Not everyone will be good in mathematics but that doesn't mean they are not smart... You don't need to be a mathematician to be a programmer.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Omega48: 2:24pm On Nov 09, 2019
muystoy:
your post says it all...u must be very dull... what u dont know dont say it

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by hustla(m): 2:32pm On Nov 09, 2019
0monnak0da:

You moan about Nigeria being backward what are YOU doing besides moaning and vituperating.
Technicians /scientist in the US or elsewhere have to study or be trained in their chosen field.
The logic that a particular entrepreneur studied Yoruba is not evidence of what technicians in the sector need to study.

Dangote is building a refinery ,I do not know what he studied but he must employ technicians who know the field.

K
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by pseudonomer: 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2019
Simran94:

The bolded is not true. Not everyone will be good in mathematics but that doesn't mean they are not smart... You don't need to be a mathematician to be a programmer.

If you don't understand basic concept of Mathematics, I doubt if you are going to make a good programmer(There are more wack programmers than the good ones). To me, knowing how to design a good effective algorithm, is the corner stone of a good programmer. Designing an algorithm to solve a particular problem in an efficient way requires applying some mathematics principle. And for complex problems, it becomes difficult for you if your mathematical background is not strong.

And of course, I don't mean designers, who simply design interface and or some front-end stuff.

If you can't understand how functions work in Mathematics, how would you have a clear understanding of how methods/functions works in programming.

If you don't know how to solve a simple logic question that will take hours of reasoning to solve, where as you could solve it within very few minutes with basic mathematics principles, then there is high probability of you making wrong or less effective decisions, or let me say more time consuming solutions in real life... that is why I claimed, one might not be smart if one can't think mathematically. I have not met extremely smart individual who is not good in Mathematics, no matter the field they may operate in their daily life, be it trader, business owners, doctors, engineers, artist... or anything...

Note: I generally assume, I am not that good in Mathematics... so I wouldn't consider myself smart.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by EazyMoh(m): 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2019
pseudonomer:

The word Further Mathematics is deceit. I will simply call it Mathematics.

If you to study Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, and even some sort of Chemistry... You'd need to be sound in:

1. Functions
2. Differentiation and Integration principles
3. Logical Reasoning(Computer Science, Computer/Electronic/Electrical Engineering).
4. Vectors
4. Matrices

Which is what mainly comprises what you guys called Further Mathematics.
We all know that Oga!
We are talking about an O-level subject that contains curricular that are not included in General Mathematics. It is called Further Mathematics.

1 Like

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Sima04: 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2019
as a computer undergraduate
u must be grounded in math not necessary further math cos from ur 100level second semester almost all the courses require a good math background. den u get to me further math from 200l till u graduate.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by FromZeroToHero(m): 6:27pm On Nov 09, 2019
100% compulsory.
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by futureadedayo: 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2019
Do you need a good mathematics or further mathematics tutor in Abuja? Either in preparation for an exam or to bring out the best in you or your children, Please call 08038328597.... Your story will never remain the same.
NOTE: First meeting/teaching is FREE
This will give you the chance to decide if you still want me to carry-on as your tutor.......
..........................MATHS IS FUN...............................
CALL: 08038328597
Gmail: futureadedayo@gmail.com
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by futureadedayo: 8:04pm On Nov 09, 2019
Yes , it is very compulsory
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by ocelot2006(m): 2:27pm On Nov 10, 2019
InansBobo:
even without knowledge of f/maths. With an adept knowledge in Mathematics (core), you can scale through Engineering well

Without further maths knowledge, I didn't/am not struggle/struggling through Engineering Mathematics courses. There's a lot of time and alot of resources to use pull through while in School

That may be in your case, but I'll always advice EVERY prospective engineering student and even students of Financial Maths not to overlook Further Mathematics. The subject is extremely important.

2 Likes

Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by hustla(m): 7:16am On Nov 12, 2019
0monnak0da:

K
Re: Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 12, 2019
EazyMoh:

That's not a proof sir, we are asking for a guideline form either the school or JAMB brochure.
It's like this is peculiar to UniLag alone.

What year did you finish sir? I'm also a graduate from the same faculty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jambites: How Was Your JAMB-UTME Exam? / Hauwa Umar Usman Graduates With 1st Class In Aeronautical Engineering From UK / Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.