Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,341 members, 7,819,202 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (21007 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Tension Over Akunyili’s Senatorial Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lawyerchap(m): 3:41pm On Nov 19, 2010
It's very simple, this distinction between Nigeria and Naija.

Amos Adamu of the 'Cash for World Cup Hosting Votes' scandal is from Nigeria.

Mo'Cheddah, 18 year old singer/rapper who won the best video by a female artiste in the whole of Africa is an omo Naija.

Erastus Akingbola and Cecilia Ibru of the 'run this bank like my personal kiosk' saga are from Nigeria.

Stephanie Okereke and Genevieve Nnaji, some of the most recognizable faces on the continent are omo Naija.

Dipreye Alamieyesigha of the 'cross-dressing to escape from custody' fame is from Nigeria.

2Face Idibia, one of Africa's most decorated musicians is an omo Naija.

It's not rocket science to understand that young Nigerians have found a motherlode of nationalistic fervour in that name Naija albeit in a totally unexpected direction. It is a rallying cry for engendering a sense of belonging to our nation despite the fact that it has thoroughly failed us. Methinks, Dora should leverage the name Naija if she is truly serious about rebranding this country. We hear the South Africans going on about 'Mzanzi' all the time. no one has told them not to refer to their country by that name. And they have constant electricity too. grin grin
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 19, 2010
lawyerchap:

It's not rocket science to understand that young Nigerians have found a motherlode of nationalistic fervour in that name Naija albeit in a totally unexpected direction. It is a rallying cry for engendering a sense of belonging to our nation despite the fact that it has thoroughly failed us. Methinks, Dora should leverage the name Naija if she is truly serious about rebranding this country. We hear the South Africans going on about 'Mzanzi' all the time. no one has told them not to refer to their country by that name. And they have constant electricity too. grin grin
Keep on whining and expecting government to make you rich.What exactly have you contributed to Nigeria?
However I am not aware that Nigeria has another name. Why in any case would Nigeria like to be known as Niger a state of Nigeria, a river in Nigeria and even a neighbouring country! Is that not wholly unimaginative.
Confusing street language with formal communication. SMH
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lawyerchap(m): 5:47pm On Nov 19, 2010
tensor777:

Keep on whining and expecting government to make you rich.What exactly have you contributed to Nigeria?

You're a fine one to talk. You sit over there in England pontificating about things of which you have no idea. The very fact that you think someone can expect government to make them rich just shows how far removed from the reality of Nigeria you are. Oh, wait a minute, i hear government can make you rich in England if you have enough children, or am i mixing up the countries? Anyway, if you must know, i have contributed quite a bit to my country. At least i stayed here to give it a go while you turned tail and checked out.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by KnowAll(m): 6:12pm On Nov 19, 2010

Mo'Cheddah, 18 year old singer/rapper who won the best video by a female artiste in the whole of Africa is an omo Naija.

Erastus Akingbola and Cecilia Ibru of the 'run this bank like my personal kiosk' saga are from Nigeria.

Stephanie Okereke and Genevieve Nnaji, some of the most recognizable faces on the continent are omo Naija.

Dipreye Alamieyesigha of the 'cross-dressing to escape from custody' fame is from Nigeria.

It's not rocket science to understand that young Nigerians have found a motherlode of nationalistic fervour in that name Naija albeit in a totally unexpected direction. It is a rallying cry for engendering a sense of belonging to our nation despite the fact that it has thoroughly failed us. Methinks, Dora should leverage the name Naija if she is truly serious about rebranding this country. We hear the South Africans going on about 'Mzanzi' all the time. no one has told them not to refer to their country by that name. And they have constant electricity too.

GBAM! GBAM!!" GBAM!!!

KnowAll does not use the " GBAM THING DAT MUCH"  THATS IS BECOS YOU NO MY NAME I TOO KNOW, BUT ON THIS OCCASSION I JUST HAVE TO AGREE 100% TO WHAT THIS CHAP POSTED.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2010
lawyerchap:

Guy,

All those in favour owe you a million dollars.

One POST that says it all.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ayusco: 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2010
naija! cool
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 10:22pm On Nov 19, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

mr lonewolf or whatever u call urself u a a blazing retared! first of let me let u know that i dont spend my entire life on nairaland like u and most times when im here, im usually multitasking with various other more important things, thus i type really fast and hence pron to some typographic errors. it doesnt have anything to do with my level of literacy ok? secondly your iv pointed out that academically and intellectually, i can bet an arm and a leg that u are no where near my level. your family would probly have to sell all its assets and a few of its members into slavery to afford even half of my MBA tuition fees. (note i pay this of myself). thirdly u would never in three life times achieve what this woman your lashing has acheived in her life so until u do, u have no rights to disrespect her. fourthly u are the worlds biggest liar for sayin obama ever reffered to chicago as chi-town in a formal interview. i asked u to post a link if your sure sure of it and u went dumb like the retard u truely are. and finally to the main topic of today, your obviously too foolish to understand why this woman made the comment as she did, it all has to do with branding and the manner in which we portray the country internationally( note she directed the comment not at individuals but at Nigerian companies which may operate internationally) i study business so i know the damage poor branding could do to the image and eventually sales of an organization. (thats what could make Nike dro a whole tiger woods once they realised he was bad for business)it could also apply to a nations economy. do u expect other international corporations to take nigerian firms seriously when they are so playfull? mispronouncing the nations name and all? my friends this is serious business. we have to rebrand everything about that nation and the first point of call is to start pronouncing our own name properly. now this is the last i would contribute to this thread. its obviusly full of retards like mr lonewolf. i wonder what manner of woman gave birth to a slow poke like u. your mother must have been screwed whilst standing on her head, bcuz thats the only explanation i can associate with your level of idiocracy.

Se you see your life? Se you can see your life now, abi?

You're now crying like a baby, telling me about your life and how you're paying for your MBA. F-u-c-k I care about your MBA? Your MBA can kiss my arse. I am not going to get into an argument about who has a better education or who's smarter because this s-h-i-t is like the American Declaration of Independence, it's "self-evident." As I pointed out, you are strutting through life with an IQ that's dangerously low, an analytical prowess that makes a 3-year-old look like a genius and a brain the size of my girlfriend's Chihuahua's left testicle. If this weren't so, you wouldn't choose the side of the debate you've chosen. It's so patently hopeless that it's laughable.

The idea that, somehow, referring to Nigeria as "Naija" is the bane of our problems is just outright dumb. You're so daft I am certain that you're pretending. Nigeria's problem is traceable to consequential things like biting corruption, clueless leaders (like Ms. Dora) and substantive issues -- not because I choose to sag my pants on a Friday night, blaze a hydro and sing that I'm a Naija boy.

It's daft to hold that view. It's even more daft that you continue defending it whilst moaning that I spend all my time on Nairaland. Fothermucker, you don't know me. Stay in your lane and study for your MBA biaatchhhhh!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 10:59pm On Nov 19, 2010
lonewolf:

The idea that, somehow, referring to Nigeria as "Naija" is the bane of our problems is just outright dumb. You're so daft I am certain that you're pretending. Nigeria's problem is traceable to consequential things like biting corruption, clueless leaders (like Ms. Dora) and substantive issues -- not because I choose to sag my pants on a Friday night, blaze a hydro and sing that I'm a Naija boy.

It's daft to hold that view. It's even more daft that you continue defending it whilst moaning that I spend all my time on Nairaland. Fothermucker, you don't know me. Stay in your lane and study for your MBA biaatchhhhh!
I have to ask again are you sure you're okay there?? All these words because Aunty Dora says that people should use Nigeria by its name.
Shouldn't you have much more consequential things to concern yourself with. Imagine getting into protracted arguments with anonymous strangers over this little issue.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by roymary: 1:43am On Nov 20, 2010
tensor777:

I have to ask again are you sure you're okay there?? All these words because Aunty Dora says that people should use Nigeria by its name.
Shouldn't you have much more consequential things to concern yourself with. Imagine getting into protracted arguments with anonymous strangers over this little issue.

Scared already The dude is putting you in your place! Auntie Dora must be your relative! Naija is the new name. Tell your auntie.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 20, 2010
I'm not Nigerian but i just wanna say that I thought saying Naija is kinda nice and neutral. Its like an affectionate name you call something you love. Like we hardly ever say we're trinidadian, we just say we're Trini, our love for our country can be summed up in that one word and phrases such as 'Trini to the bone' and both old and young say it and it's not a big deal. Well when i hear someone say Naija it speaks of the same familiarity and pride and i don't see how that is unpatriotic.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by roymary: 4:48am On Nov 20, 2010
caribchic:

I'm not Nigerian but i just wanna say that I thought saying Naija is kinda nice and neutral. Its like an affectionate name you call something you love. Like we hardly ever say we're trinidadian, we just say we're Trini, our love for our country can be summed up in that one word and phrases such as 'Trini to the bone' and both old and young say it and it's not a big deal. Well when i hear someone say Naija it speaks of the same familiarity and pride and i don't see how that is unpatriotic.

God Bless you sis. I wish you could help me tell Auntie Dora and her nieces. My Government is losing touch with reality.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ITbomb(m): 6:22am On Nov 20, 2010
caribchic:

carib babe, ve been lookin 4 u all over nl. can you drop me a mail , i got something for u about trini. ultafuto@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by carmelily: 12:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
Just goes to show how disconnected Nigerian politicians are from reality, especially where it concerns people under 50.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lonewolf: 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2010
tensor777:

Do I strike you as someone who has a problem? If that's the impression you get because I decided to respond to the idiocy you've been spewing then you need to start seeing a therapist.

What I concern myself with is not something that is your business. This is not a protracted argument. This is a sonning. An argument implies that both sides come to a debate with a fundamental disagreement about a serious matter. It also implies that both sides have functional brains. You and the other guy, Slyfoxxx, clearly do not.

As I have said: you don't know me -- so don't try advising me. I've got it together. With your post counts damn near pushing 2000, you obviously need to shut down your computer, take your dog on a walk and kiss your girlfriend. There's more to life than tapping furiously away at a computer.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by londoner: 12:23am On Nov 21, 2010
Dora spoke to soon, she doesn't really understand what the word Naija means for people when they hear it or say it.

The description she gave is soooooo off point. I have never felt that "Naija" was anything but an endearing term.

Its not as if abbreviations are alien to Nigerian culture, how many Chichi's Lara's or Ola's are there, it denotes a closeness.

Dora you need to sit this one out, let the youngsters have this one.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 12:28am On Nov 21, 2010
^^Well that is NEVER going to happen as there is no way a serious government would ever back down on this matter. Let the word die an untimely death.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by londoner: 12:38am On Nov 21, 2010
tensor777:

^^Well that is NEVER going to happen as there is no way a serious government would ever back down on this matter. Let the word die an untimely death.

Yes it IS happening, lol. Young Nigerians created it and will keep it alive simply by using it. There is nothing Dora or anyone else can do about it. "Naija" is staying. We can even decide that we wont say the word Nigeria anymore, lol What can she do? This is not spraying of Naira notes, this is a word freely spoken.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by mrofficial(m): 12:41am On Nov 21, 2010
@londoner, you can play DAGRIN - pon pon pon for that guy. Let him know someone has died for Naija like Jesus did die for us. ‎​L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿.

Omo naija ni mi, naija lo bi mi si, naija ni mo ti bere si ni ka ABC, omo naija mo le f'eyin si pepsi. cheesy He Heº¤°`He Heº¤°` cheesy
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by IgadtSwag(m): 12:58am On Nov 21, 2010
lonewolf:

What I concern myself with is not something that is your business. This is not a protracted argument. This is a sonning. An argument implies that both sides come to a debate with a fundamental disagreement about a serious matter. It also implies that both sides have functional brains. You and the other guy, Slyfoxxx, clearly do not.

As I have said: you don't know me -- so don't try advising me. I've got it together. With your post counts damn near pushing 2000, you obviously need to shut down your computer, take your dog on a walk and kiss your girlfriend. There's more to life than tapping furiously away at a computer.

@Tensor777,

Did you really feel stupid after reading this.Wonder hw you'll manage to show face here again.You had better towed the part of your accomplice-slyfoxx and do not return to this post.Damn! i even feel embarassed for u.

NAIJA FOR LIFE.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ayinkala(m): 12:16pm On Nov 21, 2010
I cant laugh.

She should leave us alone to re-brand our Country. They have fooled and failed us by "NIGERIA".

She is so scared that we want to take over.

Soon we will introduce our NAIJA International Passport.
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ochukoccna: 12:17pm On Nov 21, 2010
[size=18pt]9ja 4 life![/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[size=15pt]Fuc.k all U haters[/size]  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by favouredjb(f): 10:49pm On Nov 21, 2010
Naija for life! seriously aunt dora dey fall my hand

so shows like naija sings should be calle 'glo nigeria sings'

naija diamonds-nigiria diamonds mtsheww

;ack of vision,how does not calling naija provide stable electricity or py my salary
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by uwany: 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2010
to anyone who has not taken note, the word `naija' connotes a feeling of belonging at home(nigeria). so mrs akunyili has to get used to it cos she will never stop hearing the word `naija'
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by HamidO1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 22, 2010
Na She say make we rebrand Nigeria and we started by changing the name to Naija, make she go find work do abeg.
NAIJA 4 LIFE
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by palma(f): 7:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
NA WA O! When dis woman was still struggling to reach d top, she no talk. When she become Oga for EFCC she no make mouth o but now wey she don join d olodo's calling demselves our rulers, she now has d guts to tell us how we abbreviate abeg pass d mis-informed woman dictionary so that she will see the meaning of abbreviations. Since na so dem wan rule for dis country make nothing get abbreviations again and u go see dem dey foam for mouth, Well i want to believe not everyone is as jobless as our over sabi madam cuz someone will have to kill me before i stop using NAIJA!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by lordeagle: 10:26pm On Nov 22, 2010
wetin dey worry this woman self, she should stop deceiving us by wearing ankara and keep packing Naija money every month. if the big and advanced countries could have nick names what's wrong with Naija. in case she doesn't know, these are the nick names of some advanced countries:
UK= UNION JACK
USA= UNCLE SAM
JAPAN= NIPPON
CHINA= TIGER. pls tell her to get more busy with her job
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by ikennahill: 10:37pm On Nov 22, 2010
Every country get pet name,usa is called yankee,enugu na coal city,dorathy na dora,obsanjo na obj,senate na hallowed chamber,university na uni,unn na lion&liones,male nat.footbal team na super eagles,10 thousand na 10k,people deceive people na p.d.p.,governors na gov,nigeria na Naija/9ja.d6ra no gt wrk again,
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Cmanforall: 12:49am On Nov 23, 2010
Make Dora rebrand herself first!! WTF!

Let her start answering PROFessor Dorathy Akunyili .and nothing short!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by jamesugo: 11:20am On Nov 24, 2010
me sef be naija. wether u like am abi you no like am
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 24, 2010
ochukoccna:

[size=18pt]9ja 4 life![/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[size=15pt]Fuc.k all U haters[/size] tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
JUST SHUT IT MAN!!!!
Re: Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili by favouredjb(f): 4:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
@palma it was NAFDAC not EFcC

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Fayose To Agric Olope Market Shop Owners: Unlock Your Shops Or Forfeit Them / Stop Treating Nigerians Like Animals, Catholic Church Tells FG / Doyin Okupe Blasts Nigerians On Twitter For His Commendation Of EFCC Officials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.