Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,465 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

What's The Point Of Circumcision As Commanded By (abrahamic) Religions? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Point Of Circumcision As Commanded By (abrahamic) Religions? (957 Views)

Abrahamic Family House In Abu Dhabi To Open In 2022(Pics) / How Can Any Intelligent Person Be An Adherent Of Any Of The Abrahamic Religions? / Why Africans Should Not Follow Abrahamic Religions (christianity, Islam, Judaism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: What's The Point Of Circumcision As Commanded By (abrahamic) Religions? by xproducer: 6:44pm On Nov 29, 2020
Bacteriologist:
If God is perfect and he created man in his perfect image, then why the need for circumcision? Altering God's perfect image would make it imperfect.

I still cannot wrap my head around how one who look at a beautiful newborn and decide the next thing to do is how and where to chop bits off of them because a religious belief 2000 years ago says it.

===========

GOD is indeed perfect - "You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." - Matthew 5:48

GOD commanded circumcision for a sign for us (like a road sign), pointing to the fact that just like the foreskin is cut off from the flesh, our sins must be cut off/cut away from us to be accepted by Him, and dwell with Him.

A real Jew, A real Christian, A true believer is one whose sins GOD has removed, and transferred His righteousness to instead! (Psalm 32:1-2)

"For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God." - Romans 2:28-29
Re: What's The Point Of Circumcision As Commanded By (abrahamic) Religions? by Kobojunkiee: 7:05pm On Nov 29, 2020
xproducer:

===========
GOD is indeed perfect - "You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." - Matthew 5:48

GOD commanded circumcision for a sign for us (like a road sign), pointing to the fact that just like the foreskin is cut off from the flesh, our sins must be cut off/cut away from us to be accepted by Him, and dwell with Him.

A real Jew, A real Christian, A true believer is one whose sins GOD has removed, and transferred His righteousness to instead! (Psalm 32:1-2)

"For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God." - Romans 2:28-29
God's perfection has nothing to do with the state of His outward being please...stop lifting verses out of original context to suggest a different meaning to them...

Matthew 5 vs 38-48 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
38. “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’[i]
39. But I tell you, don’t fight back against someone who wants to do harm to you. If they hit you on the right cheek, let them hit the other cheek too.
40. If anyone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let them have your coat too.
41. If a soldier forces you to walk with him one mile,[j] go with him two.
42. Give to anyone who asks you for something. Don’t refuse to give to anyone who wants to borrow from you.
43. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[k] and hate your enemy.’
44. But I tell you, love your enemies. Pray for those who treat you badly.
45. If you do this, you will be children who are truly like your Father in heaven. He lets the sun rise for all people, whether they are good or bad. He sends rain to those who do right and to those who do wrong.
46. If you love only those who love you, why should you get a reward for that? Even the tax collectors do that.
47. And if you are nice only to your friends, you are no better than anyone else. Even the people who don’t know God are nice to their friends.
48. What I am saying is that you must be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Re: What's The Point Of Circumcision As Commanded By (abrahamic) Religions? by grandstar(m): 1:42pm On Nov 30, 2020
Bacteriologist:
If God is perfect and he created man in his perfect image, then why the need for circumcision? Altering God's perfect image would make it imperfect.

I still cannot wrap my head around how one who look at a beautiful newborn and decide the next thing to do is how and where to chop bits off of them because a religious belief 2000 years ago says it.

I admire your search to understand this issue. Its truly admirable as many just follow without questioning. (Read Acts 17:11)

Now why did God require that all males gets circumcised by removing their foreskin?

Circumcision was a symbol of the covenant between God and Abraham. (Read Genesis 17:11) (Genesis 17:1-10). All jews had to be circumcised and that included proselytes- gentile coverts to Judaism. On the basis of that covenent, God gave them a code to live by, and 607 laws, of which the most popular are the 10 commandments, which were to guide the Israelites. This was called the Mosaic law.

Does the covenent still exist today? The Bible informs us that Christ is the end of the law. (Roman's 10:4). The law was to guide the Israelites until the tutor should arrive.

That tutor was the Christ and with Christ's death, the Law came to an end.(Read Galatians 3:16,18,23-29). Apostle made it clear that circumcision for spiritual reasons was now obselete. (Galatians 5:2). You gained no favour with God.

So, circumcision by Israelites was simply the sign of the covenant between God and Abraham. With christ death, circumcision was no longer relevant.

Are there any medical or physical benefits of circumcision? Yes there are! Males who are not circumcised are far likelier to suffer infections on the privates than those circumcised. Read this article: https://www.circinfo.net/what_caused_many_cultures_to_remove_it.html

So, if servants of God aren't under any spiritually obligated to circumcise! Whoever tells you otherwise is being sentimental and not sheep like and does not benefit them or you.(Read Matthew 15:9)

Apostle Paul admonished Christians "not to beyond the things that were written" (Read 1 Corinthians 4:6). Anyone who supports circumcision, is that person not doing so?

I hope you found this useful.

For more info, please visit www.jw.org. You can even request an online Bible study if you wish and it is without cost.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Important Parable On Word of GOD & Salvation In The Book Of Luke / 100 Happy New Month Messages October, New Month Prayers For October / What Benefit Can One Get From Going To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.