Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

The Heart � Robber - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Heart � Robber (13770 Views)

The Heart Robber / She Didn't Know She Was In Love With An Armed Robber's Son / A Cut In The Heart (A True Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 9:27am On Feb 11, 2020
Tina was not surprised to hear that. Since Ms. Kalu got a new – better – appointment, Marx had been operating without a deputy. She was happy to be considered for the position. It showed that someone knew her value.

“That will be lovely,’’ she replied.

“I’m sure by next Monday, latest, you’ll get a letter to that effect. Alright, that will be all for now.’’

She smiled again and stood up. “Okay, Marx. Thanks.’’

“You’re welcome.’’

She returned to her office and opened her i-Pad. Few minutes later, she was still browsing when her phone rang. This time around, it was from unknown number.

“Hello,’’ she said.

“Hello, good day.’’ It was a mature man’s voice. “Am I on to Tina?’’

“Yes. Who’s on the line, please?’’

“I’m Joe Baba, the CEO of Thrills Television.’’

"Ah, good day, sir.’’ She had heard about the man.

As a fact, she had seen him on some occasions, but always at a distance. Now, what could be the reason behind Mr. Baba’s call?

“It’s an honor to receive a call from you, sir.’’

"No, the pleasure is mine. I call you for two purposes. The first is to tell you that I enjoy reading your incisive and detailed news stories and columns in NewsSparks.’’

She felt pleased. “Thank you so much, sir. I’m honored.’’

And what was the second?

“You’re welcome. Secondly, I’’ll like to have some discussions with you. If you don’t mind, can you make it to Thrills Television by twelve noon tomorrow?’’

She quickly thought over this. Yes, she could. “There’ll be no problem, sir.’’

“Good. You know our office? It’s along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. I’ll be expecting you.’’

“I know the place.’’

“Alright. See you.’’

The line was disconnected. Tina sighed, wondering why the CEO of a foremost infotainment news channel would want to see her.

Early in the following morning, Donald was at his desk. His love life apart, he was always zealous about work and would not joke with it.

He was still busy as at nine in the morning when Benita used the intercom to invite him to her office. He stopped what he was doing to attend to her.

As usual, he was in a trendy suit that he knew complimented his looks. He knocked once on her door before entering her expansive office.

“Good morning, Madam Benita.’’

“Good morning, Mr. Donald Ariyo. How’re you this morning?’’

He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice.

What a lucky lady she was.

“Yes, I called you for private matter. I felt there’s no need I waste time, based on what I’’ve seen so far.’’

He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

You can download full story: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 6:25am On Feb 12, 2020
Thanks for the update.
Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 8:16pm On Feb 13, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 8:22am On Feb 14, 2020
More update.
Re: The Heart � Robber by FairCritic(m): 7:43am On Feb 15, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 7:17am On Feb 16, 2020
He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

She saw him hesitate. “Okay, let me say this,’’ she prompted. “From what I could see, a man is trying to woo the heart of a queen. Is that correct?’’

He nodded. “That’s correct.’’

“The man in question has made the overtures to the lady, and from her responses, she has been encouraging him.’’
Again, he nodded.

“Now, let me say this, and let me say it emphatically. The man can actually win the heart of the queen, but it will not be easy.

The fact is the queen presently has a king that occupies her heart. For the man to win her heart, the present occupier must be dislodged. Is that not a tenable reason?’’

Donald shifted on his seat. “It is agreeable,’’ he said.

“Good. I’m happy that you’re following keenly. Now, hear this fact. The only way the prospective lover can win the heart of the queen is to completely dislodge the present occupier. By that, I mean that the occupier must be eliminated.’’

He stared at her. Was he hearing correctly? What was she really saying?

“I don’t understand,’’ he muttered.

“There’s nothing difficult to understand in this. The occupier is a king, and two kings cannot occupy the palace at the same time. One has to go for another.’’

Donald opened his mouth but no words came out. After some seconds, he was finally able to speak. “If I may get you right, what you’re suggesting is that …’’

Benita did not allow him to finish. “I’m not suggesting anything. What I’m saying categorically is that there can’t be two occupiers at a time and one will completely have to go for another one. I don’t know how you will do it. You will have to be the one to devise that. Your acceptance of it will show that you’re really serious about your intents.’’

She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Donald Ariyo.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

“Thank you, Madam Benita.’’

“Thanks for your time,’’ she returned.

He left her office and returned to his. There, he sat and thought over what she had said. Was she really serious with what she had said, or was just saying that to know what would be his reaction?

If she was serious, then the matter was a grave one. For God’s sake, she was asking him to take the life of her husband! What an infamy! That was callous, wasn’t it?

The cab Tina had rented pulled up at the massive gates of Thrills Television. Tina paid the fare and stepped out of it. It was a bright and sunny day.

She put on her sun glasses and checked her watch for the time. It was about twenty minutes to noon. Well, there was no crime in coming early for her appointment.

At the gate, the security men wanted to know if she had appointment or not.

“I do. Mr. Baba asked me to see him by mid-day.’’

The intercom was engaged to confirm if indeed a lady by the name Tina Akogun had appointment to see the CEO.

The affirmation was given and she was asked to fill the visitors’’ book. With the visitors’’ tag on her blouse, she moved to the big reception. There, she had to wait a bit before she was asked to go the office of the secretary to the CEO.

Tina had to wait for another before she was ushered into his office. The office was large and exquisite. With the way two cameras were positioned, it looked more like a studio; or an office where film recording was going on.

“Here comes our star lady,’’ Baba said.

Tina smiled. “Thank you, sir. Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Tina. Have your seat.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

She sat down.

“Let me go straight to the point,’’ he said. “The main reason for asking you to come over is to let you know I have an offer for you. As I said on the phone yesterday, I’m a fan of yours and I’ve always liked your columns. I like the professionalism and efficiency you display. Now, I want you to come over and work for us here in Thrills.’’

Tina blinked rapidly. Work for the tube? That was her initial dream. When she was an undergraduate of Mass Communication, the dream was to be a newscaster or a show presenter. Now, that dream appeared to be coming to pass.

“I will like you to be part of the new programs we would be airing soon. If you don’t mind joining us, then you can collect your letter of appointment even before you go today. The letter is already typed. But then, you have the choice. It is about what you want. Are you with me?’’

3 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by FairCritic(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2020
Tina blinked rapidly. Work for the tube? That was her initial dream. When she was an undergraduate of Mass Communication, the dream was to be a newscaster or a show presenter. Now, that dream appeared to be coming to pass.

“I will like you to be part of the new programs we would be airing soon. If you don’t mind joining us, then you can collect your letter of appointment even before you go today. The letter is already typed. But then, you have the choice. It is about what you want. Are you with me?’’

She didn’t know if that question meant if she was listening or if she would be joining them at the television station. Whatever it meant, her answer would be yes.

“Yes, I’m with you, sir.’’

“Good. Will you accept the proposition or you will like to think about it?’’

Think about it? No, sir. She had already thought about it.

“I accept the proposition, sir.’’

Joe Baba smiled and nodded. “Good. I can assure you that the terms that we’re offering you are better than your present terms. The letter of employment says you are to resume next week Monday. The few days you have between now and then are to allow you to tidy up things over there.’’

He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake.

“Congrats, Miss Tina. I’m sure you’ll be an asset to us here.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

It was the end of the encounter with the impressive man.

“Meet my secretary to get your letter of employment.’’

She nodded. “Thank you, sir.’’ She left his office. Just as he had said, the letter was already typed and ready. She got the letter, signed the duplicate and left.

She would not read the letter yet. She exited the building and went to the expressway. This time around, she could not get a cab, so she took a commercial bus.

Several minutes later, she was back to her office at NewsSparks. It was then she opened her bag to read the letter. The offers were mouth-watering.

They doubled what she currently earned. She smiled to herself. Would she be taking the offer? What a question. Of course, she would. Who in his or her right sense would reject such an offer?

She would miss Marx, and the others, no doubt; but this matter went beyond acquaintanceship and friendship.

After closing at work, Donald drove straight to the club to refresh himself from the day’’s work. He ordered for brandy and barbecue. As he took his drinks and the delicacy, he thought over the activities he had in the day.

What an eventful day it was. The bizarre aspect of it all was what Benita said. He still wondered if she meant it or was just plying a bloody joke.

From Benita, his mind went to Tina. She decided to call her.

“Hello, Tina. Are you not coming over to the club?’’

“I’m sorry I’m far away on the island right now. What about tomorrow?’’

He sighed. “Alright. See you tomorrow, then.’’
It was disappointing anytime she said she would not be able to come around.

Donald continued with his refreshments. Later, he played snooker game until few minutes to nine when he decided to leave the club.

Much later that night, as he lay in bed, he was pensive. He finally resolved that he would have to confront Benita and asked her if she meant what she said or not.

If she did, then he would have to do something very important: he would make her swear to an oath that whatever transpired between them must be and remain a secret.
Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 8:18pm On Feb 24, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 11:12pm On Apr 06, 2020
I don’t say things that I don’t mean. I can assure you that you will surely have my heart once you succeed in the important task you were given.’’

There were seconds of silence.

“Pardon me,’’ he said. “But for me to take you really serious, can the two of us swear to an oath on this? Can we swear to secrecy, confidentiality and non-betrayal of trust?’’

She stared at him and suddenly laughed. Had he said anything funny?

“Well, if swearing to an oath is what we make you believe I’m serious, then let’s do just that.’’

He suddenly relaxed and smiled. Now, he could see that she was serious.

“There’s a juju man I know who has powerful charms. I’ll tell him about this and he administer the oath.’’

Benita agreed. “No problem, but he would come and do it here.’’

Donald too agreed. “I’ll contact him today. By tomorrow morning, he will most likely come around to do the swearing.’’

“Alright.’’

That settled it, he felt and smiled. At the close of work, he drove to Ota to consult with a powerful juju man known as Baba Elewenje. He had consulted the man in the past and he believed he was instrumental to his progress in life.

The man was in his early sixties but did not believe in the stereotype ways people like him behaved. For example, he lived in a modern house – his own house.

He also drove a car and used a hand phone. He was what one could describe as contemporary juju man.

“Welcome, Donald my son,’’ Baba Elewenje greeted him warmly. “From the way your face is shining, I can see that life is really treating you well, and I’m happy about it.’’

“Thank you, Baba. Thank you so much. I’ve come to see you on something very important.’’

The man nodded. “Yes, say it. You have come to the right place.’’

Donald nodded. “Yes, baba. I will be needing your service in my office tomorrow morning. There is this woman that I’m involved in certain business with. It’s a serious matter and there’s need for us to swear to an oath. She won’t be able to make it here, so I will need you to come over to the place to effect the swearing.’’

“Oh, is that all? I thought you’ve come for something much more serious. That’s no problem at all.’’

“That is not all. There’s another thing I will like you to do and I’m very much ready to pay for it.’’

“What’s that?’’

Donald paused to look around the man’s parlor as if to assure that no one was eavesdropping.

“Baba, I want you to a love portion on the lady. I want her to love me such that she will do whatever I ask her to do.’’

The man was thoughtful for a while. “That will be no problem,’’ he said. “It can be done. I will be taking sample of the blood of you for the swearing. I can use her blood for what you just asked for. That will be no problem.’’

Donald smiled. “Now, baba, tell me how much it will cost me for all these.’’

The old man smiled too. That was one of the things he liked about Donald. He told him how much the services would cost.

“Baba, I will pay you times two. Right now, I’’ll pay you what you ask for. Tomorrow morning after the oath, I’ll pay you another lump sum. Once the thing works the way I want it to work, I’ll give you another money.’’

“Don’t say if. The medicine will surely work. Yes, I Elewenje, the son of Ewebiyi has said so. Don’t doubt my medicine at all.’’

You can get the full download @ https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by Saturn101: 8:09am On Apr 08, 2020
Interesting episode.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 9:14am On Apr 09, 2020
“Baba, I will pay you times two. Right now, I’’ll pay you what you ask for. Tomorrow morning after the oath, I’ll pay you another lump sum. Once the thing works the way I want it to work, I’ll give you another money.’’

“Don’t say if. The medicine will surely work. Yes, I Elewenje, the son of Ewebiyi has said so. Don’t doubt my medicine at all.’’

“I’m sorry, baba. What I mean is when it works. You will surely be compensated.’’

“Thank you. You’re already doing well in generosity. You too will know that what you asked for will be got in the most potent and efficacious way.’’

Donald thanked the man and gave him the address of his office.

“You have my number, baba. The moment you get to the gate of the office building, let me know. But come by ten in the morning.’’

He left the place a very happy man.

The following morning was Friday. By nine-thirty, Baba Elewenje called him to let him know that he was around.

Donald sent his secretary to bring him to the floor and to his office. He then went to inform Benita that the man he said had come.

“Bring him to my office,’’ she said.

Donald did as he was told. The man soon went to work and after some minutes, his mission to the place was accomplished.

In the afternoon, Seni was around in the office and he was there till the office closed. That tactically foreclosed any further interaction Donald could have with Benita.

As he was driven home in his official car, Donald was pleased with himself. He had no doubt that he had done the right thing and that he would be getting the desired results.

On Saturday morning, Benita and Seni remained in bed up till seven a.m. He had stayed with her overnight and had reenacted his normal sexual act, which to her was becoming more drab. The previous night, he had informed her that they would be flying to Abuja later in the day for the weekend.

“It was just to have a jolly time with my darling wife,’’ he had said.

Benita had smiled at his gesture. Yes, it would indeed mean a good time with good shopping to do – all at his expenses.

Something strange seemed to be happening to her since yesterday some couple of hours after the oath she took with Donald. She had been thinking of him. Yes, Donald was a handsome man, but it seemed her mind dwelt more now on how he could belong to her – and to her only without any inhibition.

It was not funny. She wished it was Donald was with her right now, not Seni. Some few minutes after noon, they were set for the trip. They were chauffeured driven to the airport where the sleek private jet was waiting. As usual the trip was very smooth. They lodged at the Hilton Hotel and everything was feisty.

Benita enjoyed the best of everything – food, wine, shopping and sight-seeing.

On Monday morning, Tina wore a dress that fitted her like second skin. The complimentary skirt was mini and she liked it that way. It accentuated her “hot’’ legs.

She would be resuming this morning at Thrills Television and she wanted to look her best.
She got to the place few minutes to eight and reported at the office of the Human Resources Manager who redirected her to the office of Head of Programs.

She was welcome like a star in the making. Ms. Henrietta Chollom, the Head of Programs took her to the office she would be using. It was cozy but very comfortable.

Henrietta also handed a file to her. “Study the documents inside. There’re programs outline for the next quarter. The tasks she would perform were also outlined.

“Read these thoroughly and understand your roles. We will still discuss on them thereafter, but read them first,’’ Ms. Chollom said.

Tina nodded. “Yes, madam.’’

When she was alone in the office, she looked around her. She had no doubt that she would love working in the place.

Her mind flashed to Marx. She was sure she would miss him. And what about Donald? Tina remembered she had not even told him that she had changed job. Now, it was time to let him know.

“Hello, the Don,’’ she greeted when he came on the line.

“Good morning, Tina. How’re you this morning?’’

“I’m fine too. How’re you?’’

“Very fine.’’

“I want to let you know that I’ve changed job,’’ she informed.

“Really? Are you now working for the Minister for Women Affairs?’’

The two of the laughed at the joke. “No. I’m now working for Thrills Television.’’

“For real? That’s interesting.’’

She chuckled. “Yes, it’s for real. I just started the work this morning.’’

“Ah, good. Congratulations. I suppose the working terms are much better than the previous job.’’

“Sure. Much better.’’

“Well, we’ll have to celebrate it. When we meet at the club, we’ll ‘wash’ it’’.

“Yes, that will be great.’’

You can get the full download @ https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 11:23am On Apr 10, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 7:53pm On Apr 10, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Heart � Robber by irenosen22(f): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2020
Following
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 11:36am On Apr 12, 2020
She chuckled. “Yes, it’s for real. I just started the work this morning.’’

“Ah, good. Congratulations. I suppose the working terms are much better than the previous job.’’

“Sure. Much better.’’

“Well, we’ll have to celebrate it. When we meet at the club, we’ll ‘wash’ it’’.

“Yes, that will be great.’’

Seni and Benita did not return to Lagos until Monday evening. Benita was driven to the Ikeja G.R.A home while Seni returned to his other home.

As soon as Benita got into her bedroom, she put a call across to Donald. She had only managed to call him on Friday evening to inform him that she and her husband would be travelling to Abuja.

“Gosh, you must have enjoyed your trip,’’ he said.

“If not that you said you would be the one to make the call, I would have called you. How was your trip?’’

“It was interesting, but I miss you so much.’’

Donald grinned to himself. Baba Elewenje had delivered on his promise. Donald didn’t expect to hear anything less.

“I miss you too.’’

“Where are you now?’’

Where he was, his heart started palpitating. “I’m at the club.’’

“Which club? Where is it?’’

Earlier, Tina had called him that she would not be able to make it to the club that evening.

He had expressed disappointment, but she had hinged it on the fact that she would have to be on a live program that would be aired by eight p.m. therefore, the coast was clear if Benita wanted to come.

“At the Gold-Plated Club here in Ikeja.’’

“I know the place,’’ she asserted. “I will soon be coming over there.’’

He grinned and nodded. He had to think fast. On one or two occasions, Seni had visited the club.

What if he should come around and saw his precious wife with his employee? What if one of the men around knew his wife? The place was certainly not the best place for them to meet.

“When you arrive at the car park,’’ he quickly said.

“Remain in your car and call me. I’ll come and meet you.’’

“Okay.’’

She disconnected the line. She knew she was taking a risk in going to meet him, but she would not mind doing that. It was just few minutes after seven p.m.

She wore a pink t-shirt over jeans trousers. That was casual enough. She then took the key of the BMW coupe. No driver would take her there.

“I’ll soon be coming,’’ she informed Ini. “I just want to see a friend.’’

The maid nodded. “Yes, madam.’’

She drove carefully to the Gold-Plated Club which was just about ten minutes’’ drive. He picked his call at the first ring. “I’m at the car park,’’ she informed. “I’m in the silver color BMW coupe.

“Okay, wait, I’ll be there.’’

He left the club bar to go and meet her. The BMW was not far from where he parked his Honda CRV. He opened the front right door and slid inside.

“Hello, lady.’’

Her response was surprising. She clung on to him and kissed him. Wow!

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 4:21pm On Apr 12, 2020
Nice update.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Awesome05: 6:48pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nice episode.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 10:03am On Apr 15, 2020
He left the club bar to go and meet her. The BMW was not far from where he parked his Honda CRV. He opened the front right door and slid inside.

“Hello, lady.’’

Her response was surprising. She clung on to him and kissed him. Wow!

“I miss you,’’ she muttered.

“I miss you too,’’ he echoed. He was very happy about the turn of event. He was glad that he indeed took the steps he had taken. But he was also aware he had to be very discreet.

“See, this place is not the best for us to meet. We need another rendezvous.’’

She nodded. “Okay, where do we go?’’

“There’s one small hotel at Opebi. The place is neat, decent and discreet. Let’s go there.’’

She nodded again.

“My car is the Honda CRV over there.’’ He pointed at the car. “You will have to follow me bumper to bumper.’’

“Okay.’

He got out of her car, went to his car, started it and backed out of the parking space. He drove slowly so that she would not lose his tail. Some minutes later, they arrived at the hotel where he used to take Tina to.

“Yes, I can see that it’s quite discreet,’’ Benita agreed.

He booked a room for one hour and steered her there. Once in the privacy of the room, she clung on to him again.

Like sex-starved couple, they had each other in a most exhilarating way.

Several minutes later, they lay naked under the bedspread.

“Finally, you’re mine,’’ he said as he rubbed her back.

She smiled. “Yes, but not completely.’’

There were seconds of silence. “When will you carry out the elimination?’’ she asked.

He grinned to himself. Tentatively, he had asked himself if indeed he wanted to carry out that task, how would he do it? He had outlined options in his mind.

Option A was to send hired killers. That would not be easy because he always had tight security around him.

Option B would be to poison him. That could be done, but he would need someone close to him like his cook to carry out that.

But the truth was Donald did not really intend to do any elimination. He had decided that he would just pretend that he would carry it out.

Meanwhile, he would have to make the best of his intimacy with her.

“I’m still planning how best to carry it out,’’ he said. “We have to be careful not to leave any suspicion. It has to be a professional job.’’

She nodded. “Yes, but the earlier, the better. “I’m dying to be yours only.’’

You can get the full download at: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Remite011(m): 10:58pm On Apr 15, 2020
coming out of ghost mode, Mr Donald, enjoy urself while d jazz buzz B4 it fuses off
Re: The Heart � Robber by Saturn101: 2:42pm On Apr 17, 2020
Nice update
Re: The Heart � Robber by UltimateSpice: 9:28am On Apr 19, 2020
Nice.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2020
But the truth was Donald did not really intend to do any elimination. He had decided that he would just pretend that he would carry it out.

Meanwhile, he would have to make the best of his intimacy with her.

“I’m still planning how best to carry it out,’’ he said. “We have to be careful not to leave any suspicion. It has to be a professional job.’’

She nodded. “Yes, but the earlier the better. “I’m dying to yours only.’’

Really? Again, Donald grinned to himself. He was happy she said. “Don’t worry. I’m making grand plans.’’

Some minutes later, when they were dressing up, Donald said the words he considered the most important.

“I need a grant,’’ he said. “I’m wondering if you can be of help.’’

“A grant? How much?’’

He was surprised by the alacrity and the keenness he could detect in her voice.

“I have a building project I’m working on. It’s getting to the roof level and I need some money to complete it.’’

She smiled at him. “That will be no problem. I’ll be glad to be of assistance. How much will you need?’’

Again he was very glad about her keenness.

“Conservatively, I’ll need about five million naira more.’’

She was thoughtful briefly. “I will see what I can do. You may not get the whole money once, but in the few days, you will get the sum you said. All the same, by tomorrow morning, I will send some money to your account. You have to send me your account details.’’

He nodded. “I’ll do so, pronto.’’ He brought out his phone and sent one of his private account numbers to her cell phone.

He kissed her good night. She went home in her BMW while he rode his CRV to is Ogba residence. To him, it was a very satisfying night. As he was going to bed, he received a text message.

It was a bank alert informing him that a sum of one million naira had been deposited into his account. Benita could not even wait till the following morning before paying the money as she had said.

Donald grinned to himself. This was just the beginning of good things to come.

For the next two weeks, Donald and Benita alternated between talking on the telephone for several minutes anytime they could not meet in their “love nest’’; and meeting there secretly to exhaust their passion.

So far, they had met there three times. Within those weeks, he got the five million naira she had promised. He was having the best of his life.

Today, he had come to the office in his feisty self. It was just few minutes after eight but Benita had not arrived at the office. Donald threw himself at work. His cell phone rang and he was surprised it was Seni Teni.

“Good morning, sir,’’ Donald greeted.

“Good morning, Mr. Ariyo. How’re you?’’

“I’m fine sir.’’

“There was a matter I didn’t remember to discuss with you on Friday. There were certain discrepancies in the finances of the cement company at Suleja.

"I've told the MD he is to step aside until the accounts are externally audited and everything is clear. For now, you’re to go to the company and resume as acting MD."

Donald was all ears. “Yes, sir.’’

You can get full story at: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 6:16pm On Apr 20, 2020
Interesting romance.
Re: The Heart � Robber by tonysunkan: 7:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 7:09pm On May 13, 2020
Donald was all ears. “Yes, sir.’’

“You’re to report there immediately,’’ Seni went on. “You can take the mid-day flight to Abuja and be in Suleja by two p.m. you need to report at the company before the close of business today.’’

Donald was stupefied. If he heard Seni right, what the latter was saying was that he would have to travel to Abuja in the next couple of hours and he would be resuming at the SenTen Cement Company, a company owned by the Seni Teni conglomerate later that afternoon in Suleja!

What kind of fire-brigade approach was that? Why didn’t he tell him all these over the weekend? Why wait until Monday morning? Now, he would have to start preparing fast like somebody whose garrison commander had asked him to embark on an emergency posting!

Besides, he, Donald, was a chartered accountant with bias in business administration. Why choose him for such a job. Was it not better that somebody who studied engineering should be the MD of a cement company? Why couldn’t the assistant MD at the company be made an acting MD?

Miffed as he was, Donald kept these indignations to himself.

“Alright, sir,’’ he said.

The line went dead. Phew, so he would have to travel to Abuja that day! He must go home and get few things that he would take with him. He felt like calling Benita to intimate her of the development but he decided against it. She would know when she called him.

With this development, he would be far away from Benita, he thought in gloom. So, how would they maintain contact? Would it be only by telephone? Suleja was several hundreds of kilometers from Lagos and he could not tell yet if he would be travelling to Lagos every weekend. Why was it now that he was posted to the Northern town?

He had to leave his office without wasting further time so that he could go home and pack some few personal effects. In the next few minutes, after he had tidied up things in the office, his driver drove him home in the Toyota Avalon.
Mide was on night shift, so was at home. She was surprised to see him at that hour.

“Hope no problem,’’ she asked anxiously.

“No. I’ve come to pack some few things. I’ve been transferred to Suleja.’’

Her surprise was total. “Suleja? Why? For what?’’

“I was told I would be the acting MD of the SenTen cement company there.’’

“Acting MD? Well, that’s a promotion. Congratulations!’’

Donald nearly snickered. Promotion? He had not thought of it along that line. Fact was he didn’t want that kind of promotion at this point. He went to take some clothes and arranged them in a luggage. He would have to buy some things when he got over there, so he should only take those few things that were essential.

“When will you be coming to Lagos?’’ Mide asked.

“I don’t know yet. When I get there, I will decide.’’
After he had finished parking, he asked if she would need any money. He normally gave weekly house-keeping allowance and there should still be some money left.

“There’s still some left,’’ she echoed.

“No problem. When I get there, I’ll send more money to your account.’’

“Be careful over there, dear,’’ she entreated. “God be with you.’’

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Odoogu(m): 9:23pm On May 13, 2020
nice update bro. we go again...

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 10:17am On May 16, 2020
After he had finished parking, he asked if she would need any money. He normally gave weekly house-keeping allowance and there should still be some money left.

“There’s still some left,’’ she echoed.

“No problem. When I get there, I’ll send more money to your account.’’

“Be careful over there, dear,’’ she entreated. “God be with you.’’

“Amen.’’

The house girl called a taxi that would take him to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja. He got there on time as the traffic was very light, bought a one-way flight to Abuja and waited at the Departure Lounge for the time of his flight.

By quarter to twelve noon, announcement came through the public address system that passengers on his flight should proceed to the tarmac.

The fifty-minutes flight was smooth. At the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, he bargained with one of the cabs to take him to Suleja, a town of just about fifty-six kilometers away. He first went to the town to lodge in a modest hotel. At least, he could keep his personal effects there and have decent meal and sleep.

He then changed from his casuals of jeans and t-shirt to a black suit. He felt like eating but that would have to wait. He took another cab to Lokoja Road where the cement factory was located. He went straight to the office of the Managing Director, Engineer Abu Sule.

Donald was surprised to find the man “on seat.’’

“Ah, the Lagos Director,’’ Sule hailed him. “I hope you’ve brought good news from Lagos.’’

Donald was surprised by this. “You’re still here? I thought you’ve been asked to proceed on leave.’’

Sule laughed as if he –Donald – had said something very funny.

“Well, things have changed and I’m still fully the Managing Director.’’

Donald remained nonplused. “But that was not the Chairman said. I was told I would be resuming here as Managing Director.’’

Sule snickered. “That’s not the latest, Mr. Finance Director. Get your facts right.’’

“Really? Excuse me.’’ Donald stepped out of the office to put a call to Mr. Seni. Saying that he was confused would be a gross understatement.

“Hello, good afternoon, sir.’’

“Yeah, good day.’’

“I’m in Suleja right now. I’ve met the MD and ..’’

“You mean you’ve travelled? Didn’t my secretary call you that I said the matter has been resolved and there’s no need you travel again?’’

Donald was dazed. Oh God, no one said any such thing. “No sir.’’

“Oh, there must have been a communication gap. I earlier sent the message that the issues concerning the discrepancies in finance have been settled and that you should remain in Lagos.’’

Oh, what a bloody oversight, Donald thought gloomily. He felt like screaming at somebody, but he knew he dared not do that to Seni.

“Sorry about that,’’ Seni went on. “Take the next flight back to Lagos. See you.’’ The line was disengaged.

To think that he had just made a very fruitless trip from Lagos to Abuja!

Full story available @ https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by FairCritic(m): 7:41am On May 17, 2020
Nice one
Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 8:59am On May 17, 2020
Well done OP
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 4:19pm On May 17, 2020
Ann2012:
Well done OP

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INSOMNIA / The Supposed Rapture- A Short Story. / How Much Will It Cost Me To Publish A 16,000 Words Novella?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.