Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,419,741 members, 5,426,466 topics. Date: Monday, 17 February 2020 at 12:11 AM

The Heart Robber - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Heart Robber (6198 Views)

Colors Of The Heart. / To Hate And Love(story That Touches The Heart) By Adaobi Marianne / Game Of The Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Heart Robber by LoveToRead: 9:27am On Feb 11
Tina was not surprised to hear that. Since Ms. Kalu got a new – better – appointment, Marx had been operating without a deputy. She was happy to be considered for the position. It showed that someone knew her value.

“That will be lovely,’’ she replied.

“I’m sure by next Monday, latest, you’ll get a letter to that effect. Alright, that will be all for now.’’

She smiled again and stood up. “Okay, Marx. Thanks.’’

“You’re welcome.’’

She returned to her office and opened her i-Pad. Few minutes later, she was still browsing when her phone rang. This time around, it was from unknown number.

“Hello,’’ she said.

“Hello, good day.’’ It was a mature man’s voice. “Am I on to Tina?’’

“Yes. Who’s on the line, please?’’

“I’m Joe Baba, the CEO of Thrills Television.’’

"Ah, good day, sir.’’ She had heard about the man.

As a fact, she had seen him on some occasions, but always at a distance. Now, what could be the reason behind Mr. Baba’s call?

“It’s an honor to receive a call from you, sir.’’

"No, the pleasure is mine. I call you for two purposes. The first is to tell you that I enjoy reading your incisive and detailed news stories and columns in NewsSparks.’’

She felt pleased. “Thank you so much, sir. I’m honored.’’

And what was the second?

“You’re welcome. Secondly, I’’ll like to have some discussions with you. If you don’t mind, can you make it to Thrills Television by twelve noon tomorrow?’’

She quickly thought over this. Yes, she could. “There’ll be no problem, sir.’’

“Good. You know our office? It’s along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. I’ll be expecting you.’’

“I know the place.’’

“Alright. See you.’’

The line was disconnected. Tina sighed, wondering why the CEO of a foremost infotainment news channel would want to see her.

Early in the following morning, Donald was at his desk. His love life apart, he was always zealous about work and would not joke with it.

He was still busy as at nine in the morning when Benita used the intercom to invite him to her office. He stopped what he was doing to attend to her.

As usual, he was in a trendy suit that he knew complimented his looks. He knocked once on her door before entering her expansive office.

“Good morning, Madam Benita.’’

“Good morning, Mr. Donald Ariyo. How’re you this morning?’’

He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice.

What a lucky lady she was.

“Yes, I called you for private matter. I felt there’s no need I waste time, based on what I’’ve seen so far.’’

He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

You can download full story: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart Robber by Zamar(m): 6:25am On Feb 12
Thanks for the update.
Re: The Heart Robber by BigBasher: 8:16pm On Feb 13
Interesting.
Re: The Heart Robber by Zamar(m): 8:22am On Feb 14
More update.
Re: The Heart Robber by FairCritic(m): 7:43am On Feb 15
Interesting story.
Re: The Heart Robber by LoveToRead: 7:17am On Feb 16
He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

She saw him hesitate. “Okay, let me say this,’’ she prompted. “From what I could see, a man is trying to woo the heart of a queen. Is that correct?’’

He nodded. “That’s correct.’’

“The man in question has made the overtures to the lady, and from her responses, she has been encouraging him.’’
Again, he nodded.

“Now, let me say this, and let me say it emphatically. The man can actually win the heart of the queen, but it will not be easy.

The fact is the queen presently has a king that occupies her heart. For the man to win her heart, the present occupier must be dislodged. Is that not a tenable reason?’’

Donald shifted on his seat. “It is agreeable,’’ he said.

“Good. I’m happy that you’re following keenly. Now, hear this fact. The only way the prospective lover can win the heart of the queen is to completely dislodge the present occupier. By that, I mean that the occupier must be eliminated.’’

He stared at her. Was he hearing correctly? What was she really saying?

“I don’t understand,’’ he muttered.

“There’s nothing difficult to understand in this. The occupier is a king, and two kings cannot occupy the palace at the same time. One has to go for another.’’

Donald opened his mouth but no words came out. After some seconds, he was finally able to speak. “If I may get you right, what you’re suggesting is that …’’

Benita did not allow him to finish. “I’m not suggesting anything. What I’m saying categorically is that there can’t be two occupiers at a time and one will completely have to go for another one. I don’t know how you will do it. You will have to be the one to devise that. Your acceptance of it will show that you’re really serious about your intents.’’

She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Donald Ariyo.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

“Thank you, Madam Benita.’’

“Thanks for your time,’’ she returned.

He left her office and returned to his. There, he sat and thought over what she had said. Was she really serious with what she had said, or was just saying that to know what would be his reaction?

If she was serious, then the matter was a grave one. For God’s sake, she was asking him to take the life of her husband! What an infamy! That was callous, wasn’t it?

The cab Tina had rented pulled up at the massive gates of Thrills Television. Tina paid the fare and stepped out of it. It was a bright and sunny day.

She put on her sun glasses and checked her watch for the time. It was about twenty minutes to noon. Well, there was no crime in coming early for her appointment.

At the gate, the security men wanted to know if she had appointment or not.

“I do. Mr. Baba asked me to see him by mid-day.’’

The intercom was engaged to confirm if indeed a lady by the name Tina Akogun had appointment to see the CEO.

The affirmation was given and she was asked to fill the visitors’’ book. With the visitors’’ tag on her blouse, she moved to the big reception. There, she had to wait a bit before she was asked to go the office of the secretary to the CEO.

Tina had to wait for another before she was ushered into his office. The office was large and exquisite. With the way two cameras were positioned, it looked more like a studio; or an office where film recording was going on.

“Here comes our star lady,’’ Baba said.

Tina smiled. “Thank you, sir. Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Tina. Have your seat.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

She sat down.

“Let me go straight to the point,’’ he said. “The main reason for asking you to come over is to let you know I have an offer for you. As I said on the phone yesterday, I’m a fan of yours and I’ve always liked your columns. I like the professionalism and efficiency you display. Now, I want you to come over and work for us here in Thrills.’’

Tina blinked rapidly. Work for the tube? That was her initial dream. When she was an undergraduate of Mass Communication, the dream was to be a newscaster or a show presenter. Now, that dream appeared to be coming to pass.

“I will like you to be part of the new programs we would be airing soon. If you don’t mind joining us, then you can collect your letter of appointment even before you go today. The letter is already typed. But then, you have the choice. It is about what you want. Are you with me?’’

1 Like

Re: The Heart Robber by FairCritic(m): 1:21pm On Feb 16
Interesting story.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Diamond / Chinua Achebe & Wole Soyinka, Who Is D Better Writer? / The Game He Lost (A Novel).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.