Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

The Heart � Robber - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Heart � Robber (13754 Views)

The Heart Robber / She Didn't Know She Was In Love With An Armed Robber's Son / A Cut In The Heart (A True Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 2:35pm On May 18, 2020
More
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 7:13pm On May 18, 2020
Oh, what a bloody oversight, Donald thought gloomily. He felt like screaming at somebody, but he knew he dared not do that to Seni.

“Sorry about that,’’ Seni went on. “Take the next flight back to Lagos. See you.’’ The line was disengaged.

To think that he had just made a very fruitless trip from Lagos to Abuja!

Alright, so he had to return to Lagos. That was better that being tucked away in Suleja, wasn’t it? He went back to the MD’’s office. “I’ve spoken with the Chairman and he explained the situation. I will have to go back to Lagos.’’

Engineer Sule nodded at him smugly. “Safe journey.’’

Donald went back to his hotel room. The time now was almost three-thirty p.m. and he wondered if he should still go back to the airport and take the next available flight to Lagos, or remain in Suleja till the following day.

He finally decided to leave. The hotel manager was surprised when he told him he would be checking out.

“So soon?’’ the man asked.

Donald nodded. “Yes. Something urgent came up in Lagos and I have to return.’’

“I see. Safe journey then. We’ll be expecting you again very soon.’’

Donald tipped him and left the hotel. He took another taxi to the Abuja airport. The trip was mid-way when a text message came in.

it was from an unknown number and it had a terse message that read: It would be better you stop having affairs with another man’s wife. This will be the last warning.

He read the message quickly again and wondered who could have sent it. He dialed the sender’s number but could not get through. Surprising, at his second attempt, the service provider informed him the number he was trying to reach was switched off.

Who was the sender? He asked himself. Did the sender know about the secret love affair between him and Benita? Of course, that was a dumb question. If the sender did not know, would the person send such a message?

He thought of Benita. Why had she not called him? Again he reached for his phone.

The agreement between them was that she would be the one to be calling, to be on the safe side; but Donald would breach that agreement. In a matter as important as this, it would be exigent for him to do so.

Another surprise awaited him. He could not get through any of her two numbers. What was all this?

There was no way he could explain the nasty experience he was having – from the sudden trip to the anonymous text and now to the lack of access to Benita.

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Janet96(f): 3:18pm On May 22, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 12:19pm On Jun 11, 2020
More...
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 9:29am On Jun 21, 2020
Another surprise awaited him. He could not get through any of her two numbers. What was all this? There was no way he could explain the nasty experience he was having – from the sudden trip to the anonymous text and now to the lack of access to Benita.

Calm down, he told himself. There was no need for alarm. The message was probably sent by someone who was trying to play a fast one on him. He wished he could believe the voice that asked him to calm down.

As much as he hoped to remain calm, he could not. His mind went to Seni Teni. Could the man be suspecting anything? Could he be the one that sent the text?

Again, his mind told him to be calm. After one hour and ten minutes in the taxi, they were at the airport. Donald paid the driver off and went to a travelling agency office to buy the return ticket to Lagos.

From there, he went to the departure lounge. As he sat there, he thought about the text message he had received again.

Once more, he tried to call the number that sent the text, but he got the same response. Somewhere at the back of his mind, he had a nagging fear that Seni already knew. Now, if that should be true, then he, Donald, must retrace his steps. He had been warned and it was better he heeded the warning.

The flight back to Lagos was equally smooth. From the Ikeja Airport, he took a cab to his residence. It was getting on to six o’clock and his wife was still at home, preparing for her shift job.

“You’re back?’’ she expressed in sheer surprise.

“What happened?’’

Donald hissed. “You won’t believe that I’ve only wasted my time and resources in travelling. Well, to cut a long story short, I’ve been asked to return to Lagos.’’

“What! You mean you’re not going to be the acting Managing Director of the cement company again?’’

“No. The Chairman said the matter has been resolved, so I should come back.’’

Mide could not fully understand the situation. Was it the Chairman that was confused or her husband? A couple of hours later, she left the house to go and resume duty. Donald decided to remain indoors for the rest of the day.

It was few minutes to nine when Benita eventually called.

“Goodness, I’ve been trying your number,’’ she said. “Hope no problem?’’

She had been trying his numbers? No, he was the one that had been trying her number! “I’ve also been trying your number,’’ he said. “I was surprised when the service provider said your phone was switched off.’’

“Yes, it was switched off at a time,’’ she admitted.

“How’re you?’’

“It has been such a hectic day for me. You didn’t even ask about my trip to the north.’’

“What trip are you talking about?’’ She sounded surprised.

“Didn’t you know that I had to travel to Suleja? Didn’t your husband tell you he asked me to go and report at the cement company?’’

“No.’’ She was emphatic about it. “I didn’t know about it. “So, you left and you’ve come back?’’

“Yes. Mr. Seni later asked me to come back; that the basis of going there had been resolved. So, I just came back to Lagos not long ago.’’

“Oh, how stressful that must be. Sorry for all troubles.’’

He sighed. “There’s a text message I received when I was still there and it has been giving me a lot of concern?’’

“What message?’’

He paused slightly. “The message warned that I should stop my affairs with another man’s wife.’’
She paused to consider what he said. “Is that all?’’

What did she mean, is that all? Was that not enough? “That message is pregnant with meaning. It means somebody knows about our affairs, and that’s very dangerous.’’

There was another short pause. “Listen, Donald. Don’t allow any unfounded message to disturb you. If I were you, I will not worry my head for a second over a matter like that.’’

Donald could not believe his ears. How could she dismiss the message in that manner? Why was she taking everything so calmly?

To show that she did not think much of it, Benita went on to talk about other matters. Donald tried to sound alright, but he wasn’t really feeling as he feigned to be.

Some minutes later when the conversation ended, another text message came in.
You are still holding the tiger by the tail.

That must be from the person that sent the other message. He compared the numbers and confirmed that they were the same. Frantically, he tried to call the number. He got the same result as the number could not be reached.

Now, would could be sending these messages? Did it not mean that he was under watch? He suddenly gazed at his phone. Maybe, his line or Benita’s own was “tapped’’, and their conversations were monitored. Gosh, the situation was becoming serious.

Later that day, he resolved to take certain decisions. The first was that he would have to tell Benita that they should suspend the relationship. Yes, they would have to suspend it for the time being.

As soon as things cooled off and there were no more suspicions, they would resume.
He would have to tell her the following morning in the office. He kept on having the feelings that Seni knew. This was not a good feeling at all.

Truly, in the following morning, as soon as Benita came inside the office, he went to meet her.

“Good morning, madam.’’ Once again, he had decided that he would have to be behaving formally anytime he was with her.

“Good morning, Donald.’’

The ‘mister’ title was gone. Donald shrugged.

“Something came to my mind yesterday night and I have to tell you without further delay.’’

He did not even wait to sit down before he started talking.

She smiled. “Why don’t you sit down?’’

“Thank you.’’ He sat down and continued. “I seriously believe my movements or call are monitored. After I had spoken with you yesterday, I got yet another text message from the anonymous sender, stating that I was still holding the tiger by its tail; which means I was still threading on danger path.

"Now, this is getting serious if you ask me. At this point, I believe the best thing we should do is to suspend this our relationship.’’

Benita raised her right hand to stop him. “I don’t have time for jokes early this morning.’’

Jokes? Donald couldn’t believe his ears. Who was joking? Why would he be joking over a serious matter such as this?

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Awesome05: 7:59am On Jun 22, 2020
Cool one.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 3:35pm On Jun 22, 2020
Well done OP
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2020
Ann2012:
Well done OP

Thank you.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 8:09am On Jun 25, 2020
More
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 8:15am On Jun 27, 2020
Benita raised her right hand to stop him. “I don’t have time for jokes early this morning.’’

Jokes? Donald couldn’t believe his ears. Who was joking? Why would he be joking over a serious matter such as this?

“I’m not joking,’’ he said with gritted teeth. “Can’t you see that the warning from the text messages were real?’’

“You’re raising your voice!’’ she chided.

Donald paused and tried to control his rising temper. “I’m sorry about that. See, this matter is not what we should handle with kids’’ gloves. I think the Chairman himself is suspicious about this. The air is ominous.’’

She shook her head. “You got it all wrong. I know Teni very well. If he knows or suspects anything, he will not keep calm the way he has been keeping. We spoke some minutes ago on my way to the office about official matters. The Teni I know will not keep cool if he suspects a thing.’’

Donald was exasperated. “Who then could be sending those messages?’’

“I’ve told you to forget about those messages. They mean nothing. Somebody is just trying to rattle you. Aren’t you a man? How could you allow something as trivial as that to disturb you?’’

Donald nodded and tried to make himself be rest assured by her words.

Several hours later, he closed from work and drove home straight. He didn’t feel like going to the club or any recreational spot. He remained in his bedroom, watching the television there.

About few minutes to eight, Benita called his line.

“Hello, Donald,’’ she greeted.

“Hello, Madam Benita.’’

“Forget the madam stuff. Let’s meet at the hotel in thirty minutes’ time.’’

“Er, I …’’

“See you.’’

She cut the line. Donald became indignant. It was quite right for her husband, Mr. Teni, to order him around. That was very understandable. He would not, however, take it from Benita. She should not try it all.

He was still thinking staying off from seeing each other for a while was the best. He was about to reiterate that to her, but she went ahead to cut off the line. Shio!

He decided he would not go to the hotel. When she got there and she didn’t see him, it would enter her pretty head that he meant what he had said.

About twenty minutes later, she called his line again.

“I’m already at the hotel. Where’re you?’’

“Just like I said,’’ he started to explain, “I believe we should stop seeing each other for a while.’’

“What!’’ she bellowed. “Are you saying that you’re not coming?’’

“I’m afraid, I won’t, tonight.’’

There was a pause.

“Is that your final decision?’’

Donald grinned. The question reminded him of the days of watching “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’’ when the presenter would ask the person on the hot seat if that was the final answer.

“Yes,’’ he said simply.

Without saying anything further. Benita disconnected the line. If Donald thought that was the end of the matter, he had made a mistake.

The following morning, Benita came early to the office and “summoned’’ him as soon as she came in.

The Heart Robber https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

2 Likes

Re: The Heart � Robber by BigBasher: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2020
Nice one.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 10:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
Well done OP
Re: The Heart � Robber by BigDebbie: 8:43pm On Jun 28, 2020
Nice work OP
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2020
Ann2012:
Well done OP

BigDebbie:
Nice work OP

Thanks to you.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 10:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
Without saying anything further. Benita disconnected the line. If Donald thought that was the end of the matter, he had made a mistake.

The following morning, Benita came early to the office and “summoned’’ him as soon as she came in.

“Why didn’t you come as we agreed yesterday?’’ she demanded as soon as he stepped inside her office.

“Why do you keep on ignoring my suggestion?’’ he parried.

She moved to him. He didn’t see it coming. It was either that he never suspected she could do such a thing, or he simply could not conceive it. Benita raised her right hand and gave him a hot slap.

“What!’’ He held left ear.

“Yes, and I will do so again. How dare you stand on our date!’’

He was brimming in anger, but he must contain his inner rage.

“Don’t ever do that again,’’ she said caustically. “Now, get out of my office!’’

Dazed and thinking that he was watching a bizarre, he walked out of her office. Back in his office, he could simply not believe what had happened. How dare her? How dare Benita raised her hand against him?

He sat down but could not do anything. The direction of things was apparently what he never bargained for. There was a soft rapping at the door and it was opened. It was Benita. Had she come to give him more slaps?

It was unlikely. The anger on her face was gone. Now, she looked almost penitent.

She walked slowly to the side of his seat.

“I’m sorry,’’ she mumbled.

How whimsical she could be. A couple of minutes ago, she was totally different from this.

“It’s just that I felt so disappointed,’’ she went on.

He was still silent, still unsure of what to say.

“I love you,’’ she blurted out.

He sighed and stood up to face her. It was like he did what he wanted him to do. She clung on to him. Feverishly, her lips found his and the kiss was long.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,’’ he mumbled. “We’re in the office!’’

“I want you,’’ she said. Her lips returned to his and got stuck there.

Donald was in a dilemma. He enjoyed the act, no doubt, but …

To his surprise, she started unbuttoning her blouse.

“Hey! You can’t do that!’’ he said in alarm.

“Why not?’’

She continued to unbutton the blouse and totally removed it. One look at her sexy, white bra melted his heart. Maybe there would be no harm if they could do it quickly. He went to his door and locked it. He knew he was threading on a dangerous path, but right now, he was beyond caring.

Tina watched the preview of a talk show and noted on a writing pad on her table. She was just days old on her new job, but she must say that she was enjoying the work tremendously. Her phone rang. It was from the number she had stored as CEO.

“Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Tina. How’s everything?’’

“All is well, sir.’’

“Can you see me in my office, right away?’’

“Yes, sir. No problem, sir.’’

The line was disengaged. She stopped the video she was watching. For the CEO to call her, the matter must be important. She left her office to his grand office. His secretary asked her to go inside without any ado.

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 6:21am On Jun 30, 2020
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 10:04am On Jul 06, 2020
He sighed and stood up to face her. It was like he did what he wanted him to do. She clung on to him. Feverishly, her lips found his and the kiss was long.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,’’ he mumbled. “We’re in the office!’’

“I want you,’’ she said. Her lips returned to his and got stuck there.

Donald was in a dilemma. He enjoyed the act, no doubt, but …

To his surprise, she started unbuttoning her blouse.

“Hey! You can’t do that!’’ he said in alarm.

“Why not?’’

She continued to unbutton the blouse and totally removed it. One look at her sexy, white bra melted his heart. Maybe there would be no harm if they could do it quickly. He went to his door and locked it. He knew he was threading on a dangerous path, but right now, he was beyond caring.

Tina watched the preview of a talk show and noted on a writing pad on her table. She was just days old on her new job, but she must say that she was enjoying the work tremendously. Her phone rang. It was from the number she had stored as CEO.

“Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Tina. How’s everything?’’

“All is well, sir.’’

“Can you see me in my office, right away?’’

“Yes, sir. No problem, sir.’’

The line was disengaged. She stopped the video she was watching. For the CEO to call her, the matter must be important. She left her office to his grand office. His secretary asked her to go inside without any ado.

“Hello, pretty lady,” he greeted, showing his white set of teeth in a smile.

“Good morning, sir.”

“Please, sit down.”

He seemed to be extra polite this morning. Tina wondered what was in the offing.

“Thank you.” She sat opposite his desk and looked at him earnestly.

“Yes, I sent for you because there’s something important I want to tell you about. I’ll go straight to the point. First, I want to commend you for your performance so far since you joined us. The reports I got about you indicate that you’re doing very well.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Yes, you just keep it up. The second matter I want to discuss with you is very private.”

Private? She wondered how private that would be.

Mr. Baba paused briefly before he continued. “I’ll go straight to the point. I like you, Tina. I like your style and will desire an affair with you. I’m talking about real romance. But, I’m not a fan of sexual harassment.

As a matter of fact, I detest it. What I say is purely private and is up to you. You’re very free to accept or reject it.”

Tina chuckled and smiled. Was she surprised the man was saying this? No, she was not. As a matter of fact, she had long suspected and expected this.

“You may not give your response now,” Mr. Joe Baba went on. “If you so desire, I can give you some days to think over it. You can just come around to tell me your answer once you’re ready.”

Well, that was a surprise, wasn’t it? A man in his position would naturally not do that. Well, it was alright if that was the way he wanted it. She too would play the role of a modest and reserved lady.

“Alright, sir. I’ll think over it.”

He nodded. “No problem.”

She smiled, stood up and went back to her office. She would dilly-dally for a couple of days before she would say what she had decided. What would she tell him? Her mind went blank for some seconds. What else would she tell him? Yes, of course!

It was when Donald was preparing to close from work that an important text message came. It was from his regular sender. It read:

Now that you have dared the lion in its den, be ready for the consequence. How could the two of you descend so low as to do it in your office?

Donald’s heart skipped a beat. God, this matter was becoming very alarming. There was no doubt that somebody was watching her, or him, or both of them! That person knew what was going on in the office and elsewhere. Gosh, this thing was for real.

There was no doubt that he was disturbed. Even as he was driven home in his official car, he could not help thinking about the potential danger that laid ahead. He just had to do something about this. Why was it that Benita could not properly discern the danger and agree with him that they needed to stay off for now? Why was …?

But he knew the answer already. Benita was not acting ordinarily. She was doing what she was doing because she was under some influence.

The influence had favored him a lot, but now, it was becoming a danger. As things were, he just had to do something.

The Heart Robber https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_heart_robber/29973

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Adeola25(f): 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2020
Donald is playing with fire. Thanks for the update Op

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 7:52am On Jul 07, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: The Heart � Robber by Khriztarl(f): 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2020
Yawa dey sleep. Yanga go wake am. oga donald mad up o.
Re: The Heart � Robber by LoveToRead: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2020
There was no doubt that he was disturbed. Even as he was driven home in his official car, he could not help thinking about the potential danger that laid ahead.

He just had to do something about this. Why waes it that Benita could not properly discern the danger and agree with him that they needed to stay off for now? Why was …?

But he knew the answer already. Benita was not acting ordinarily. She was doing what she was doing because she was under some influence. The influence had favored him a lot, but now, it was becoming a danger. As things were, he just had to do something.

His mind went to Baba Elewenje. It appeared the medicine was ‘over working.’ Was there a way he could reduce the potency of the medicine?

Donald’s mind suddenly struck an idea. Gosh, why hadn’t he thought of the idea before? He would have to see the old man as soon as possible.

He decided he would go and see the baba that very day. All the same, he would rather not go in the official car or with the driver. There were ‘spies’ around him and he would not trust anyone for now. At Ogba Bus Stop, he asked the driver to stop the car.

“You can go home from here,” he told the man.
“I’ll take over the wheel.”

“Yes, sir,” the driver replied. “Good night, sir.”

“Good night.”

Donald took over the steering wheel. He decided he would drive straight to Ota to see the man. There was no need he wasted time on a matter as urgent as this. He put a call across to the man.

“Hello, baba. I’m on my way to your place to see you.”

“No problem, Donald. I’m not at home right now, but in the next twenty minutes or so, I will be.’

“Ah, that will be alright, baba. I’m still in Lagos and may not get there until about an hour’s time.’

“Alright. See you.”

Close to an hour later, Donald was in the house of the man.

“Donald, my son,” the old man greeted in his characteristic manner. “You’re welcome.”

“Thank you, baba. I know you must have suspected that something very important must have brought me here.”

The old nodded. “Yes, I know that.”

Donald sighed. “Baba, it’s about the woman you helped me to win her love.”

“What about her? Don’t tell me you need to make the love stronger.”

Donald shook his head vigorously. “Not at all, baba. As a matter of fact, what I came for is the opposite of that. I came to ask you how you can reduce the potency of that medicine.”

“Which medicine?”

Donald sighed again. “The love medicine you made concerning that lady. She’s becoming reckless and this is dangerous. I think her husband or someone knows what’s going on between us. I’ve already received some text messages warning to stop the affairs with her. Can you just reduce the potency so that she’ll agree with me to suspend the relationship for some time?’

“Eewo. Agbedo! That one is not possible!”

Donald’s heart sank. “But why? Why can’t …?”

The old man did not let him finish. “No one can stop that potency unless the medicine wears itself out. No one and nothing. Even if you drop dead now, she will love your dead body.”

Donald grimaced morbidly. “Is it as serious as that?’

“Yes. You have to keep on reciprocating her love and you make the best of it. Enjoy yourself.”
Donald had come to the end of the road in trying to make the baba do something about it. He stood up. “Thank you, baba, for your time.”

As usual, he dipped his hand in his pocket and brought out several currency notes.

“Here, have this sir.”

“Oh, you shouldn’t bother yourself with giving me something again. You’ve given me enough.” All the same, his right hand was outstretched as he received the money. “Thank you very much my son.”

“Thank you, sir. Good bye.”

While he drove away from the place, his mind remained troubled. Something had to be done! His mind screamed at him. He just had to do something. But what could he do? His mind was busy.

After some moments, his mind hit an idea he hoped would turn to the best. He remembered the initial agreement he had with Benita. She had propositioned that he should eliminate Teni.

Would that not be the solution to this problem? Would he not be free from danger once Teni was eliminated?

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Adeola25(f): 3:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
Stupid Donald, thanks for the update.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Odoogu(m): 4:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
grin the deeds of men!
Re: The Heart � Robber by Odoogu(m): 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2020
Adeola25:
Stupid Donald, thanks for the update.
good reaction... but not the best I think grin
Re: The Heart � Robber by Adeola25(f): 8:32pm On Jul 13, 2020
Lol, dont mind me Donald is making me angry ni.
Re: The Heart � Robber by Odoogu(m): 8:51pm On Jul 13, 2020
Adeola25:
Lol, dont mind me Donald is making me angry ni.
maami abeg no vex grin
and abeg no forget say no be every man be like Donald grin
Re: The Heart � Robber by CasNova: 8:50am On Jul 16, 2020
Cool

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Ann2012(f): 8:33am On Jul 18, 2020
Well done OP

1 Like

Re: The Heart � Robber by Zamar: 6:55pm On Jul 29, 2020
More
Re: The Heart � Robber by ThrillPlus: 12:09pm On Jun 29, 2022
Zamar:
More

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blogs Of Famous Nigerian Writers/Authors / INSOMNIA / The Supposed Rapture- A Short Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.