Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel (327 Views)

Benny Hinn Repents Of The "Prosperity Gospel" - Daddy Freeze Reacts / Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) / Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 6:07am On Nov 10, 2019
"Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.’ "
John:6.26
It quite amazing that one of the fastest growing Churches in our today's world is one that constantly preaches about money; sowing seeds in order to reap a bountiful harvest of financial blessings.

I won't talk about how the thought having a SUV in less than 6 months helps local man to part with his money as quick as flash. Prosperity theology is a sweet and persuasive belief as it holds that financial blessings is always the will of God.

But things we must consider are;

1) God is not subject to our desires or happiness and we cannot manipulate Him.

2) God saved us from sin and redeemed us. Thus we must be ready to trust ourselves to Him. Even though there is no incentives or reward at all for us on earth.

3) God doesn't want us to be too concern about materials but storing up treasures in heaven.

Matthew:6.19 - 21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

As Christians we shouldn't be all about acquiring and acquiring for ourselves alone but about the kingdom and using our resources for God and helping others.

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

1 John:3.17

The health and wealth gospel are inherently tied together. Although some claim to believe the former and not the latter.
They usually quote 3 John 1:2 and Mark 16: 16-18
But we must note that Christians in the bible weren't always physically well.

3 John 1:2 is a greeting and hope that the recipient of the letter would be blessed. Rather than a promise that God will always heal.

While Mark 16: 9-20 is not found in most of the earliest manuscripts. Most commentators claim it is a comment that was later added by the early church.

But even if had Jesus said it. It will be signal to the disciples to confirm their teaching and to show the gospel as true.

Paul left Trophimus in Miletus we he was sick. (2 Tim 4:20)

Epaphroditus was sick to the point of death. (Philip 2:27)

Timothy was asked to use wine for his ailment. (1 Tim 5:23)

And we all know that Paul's thorn in the flesh was never removed.

In this world you will have trouble Jesus said. John 16:33
And as Christians we would not always have peaceful times.
Matt 24 4-14; John 15:20; 16:2

But we are not totally Condemning the PG. One need to be healthy to serve God effectively and money to serve Him better.

And we are not saying one should be free from materialism. If you don't care about materials you would not be concern about your neighbor getting money or having clothes to wear, talk more of helping him.

Also Matt 6:24 isn't asking us to choose God alone and flee from anything concerning money as they are not mutually exclusive. It not one or the other only!
But instead we are to prioritize who should be the master.

We are not to compromise the standards of God for money or be selfish 1 John 3:17

And being poor is not a sign that one is a wretched sinner. Jesus was born in a stable and was Fathered by a Carpenter.

We are to seek first the kingdom.

In conclusion.
There is not a promise from God that says believer would always be healthy and live a trouble free life.
There are believers who are in financial trouble, struggling, have depression, illness or disabilities. Christian who haven't been healed yet they still witness God in their lives, and in their disabilities they would still say they are prosperous!

Credits.
1) The mods of Christianforum.net who featured the topic
2) Gerbil, Halbhh, Ajcarey, for their contributions. ( There are couple of guys I should mention too but I don't know it like the thread changed or something sad )
3) Finally the entire savage christianforum.net community. I always enjoy my stay with them.

Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 10, 2019
Lovely piece @Abcthings.

God bless you.
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 6:40am On Nov 10, 2019
jesusjnr:
Lovely piece @Abcthings.

God bless you.
Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 7:29am On Nov 10, 2019
Image source: wikicommons
Seun
Lalasticlala
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by Aryastarks(f): 7:34am On Nov 10, 2019
"There is not a promise from God that says believer would always be healthy and live a trouble free life.
There are believers who are in financial trouble, struggling, have depression, illness or disabilities. Christian who haven't been healed yet they still witness God in their lives, and in their disabilities they would still say they are prosperous!"

So even tho im struggling and depressed i should keep saying i am prosperous, can be hard you know

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by Jordan97: 7:39am On Nov 10, 2019
grin
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 11:33am On Nov 10, 2019
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by LordTosinJ: 10:43am On Nov 17, 2019
HAPPY SUNDAY!
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 8:59am On Dec 08, 2019
Happy Sunday
Re: Things To Consider On Prosperity Gospel by ABCthings: 10:33am On Dec 08, 2019
Arya starks:
"There is not a promise from God that says believer would always be healthy and live a trouble free life.
There are believers who are in financial trouble, struggling, have depression, illness or disabilities. Christian who haven't been healed yet they still witness God in their lives, and in their disabilities they would still say they are prosperous!"

So even tho im struggling and depressed i should keep saying i am prosperous, can be hard you know
That's not exactly my point. Take Yinka Ayefele as example although he can't walk he would still consider himself as blessed. Like wise many others smiley

(1) (Reply)

The Stubborn Fly / A Christian Nairalander Masquerading As Muslim And Insulting His Fell Christians / Bible Verses That Destroy The Flat Earth Theory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.