Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,592 members, 7,958,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:59 AM

Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? (348 Views)

Infections,mathew 15:20 & Believers, Are They Compatible? / Feminism In Marriage Is Rubbish – Pastor Mildred Okonkwo (Video) / Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
I'm not much of a religious person. Infact i can't remember when last I went to church but i respect everyone's belief and i have nothing against feminists and feminism.. At the very least, the genuine ones. I honestly respect them..

What i do have a problem with though are feminists that aren't atheists or better put, feminists that claim to be christians undecided.. This makes me cringe..

This is the case with a lot of Nigerian feminists i've come across though.. It's a known fact that feminism doesn't play well with a lot of religions out there that outrightly subjugate and make women play second fiddle to men, Christianity inclusive..

I'm really confused how many of em claim to be feminists and still carry a bible, do they even read that bible at all? undecided

Let's take a look at some passages from the bible which I would very much like the bible scholars and religious feminists in the house to explain..

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

Comment

If one ever wishes to find an explanation of woman's inferiority to men, one only has to look in the Bible. Paul makes clear and delineates the importance of woman recognizing her place.

"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean." (Leviticus 12:2)

"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)

Comment

A woman who gives birth to a child must undergo a purification ritual lest her "uncleanness" contaminate others. This not only entails her isolation, but also payments to priests for the ritual acts. Thus the male dominators had even made birth dirty.

Notice here that if a woman bears a female child, her isolation must last twice as long as that if she gives birth to a male child!

"Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:24-25)

Comment

Judges 19 describe a father who offers his virgin daughter to a drunken mob. When the father says "unto this man do not so vile a thing," he makes clear that sexual abuse should never befall a man (meaning him), yet a woman, even his own flesh and blood, or a concubine belonging to a perfect stranger, can receive punishment from men to do what they wish. This attitude against women still persists to this day and we have the Bible, in large part, to thank for this attitude against women.

Verse 25 describes the hours long gang rape of the poor concubine. The Bible gives not one hint of compassion or concern for the raped girl. Considering that many people believe that every word in the Bible comes from God, it should not surprise anyone why people still use these verses to justify such atrocities.

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

Comment

Another case where the Bible makes it quite clear that women live for man and must submit to them..

Here are some other verses you can look into; (Deuteronomy 22:13-21) (Ephesians 5:22-24) (Ecclesiastics 25:26)..
*Yawns*.. There are lots and lots of places in the bible that just says otherwise and if the Bible is truly the word of God, then I struggle to understand how we still have Christian feminists ..

My point is, y'all shouldn't confuse yourselves please..You can't be a feminist and still go to church on Sunday..
You can't believe in feminism and religion at the same time angry but if y'all have a way you can resonate both, then your contributions will be highly appreciated..
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by sweetonugbu: 2:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Which two religion is ever compatible?.
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 24, 2019
sweetonugbu:
Which two religion is ever compatible?.
None.. Meaning, you believe feminism is a separate religion then??
Well, never looked at it that way though.. It's a good angle..
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by sweetonugbu: 2:56pm On Nov 24, 2019
KiidaACE:
None.. Meaning, you believe feminism is a separate religion then??
Well, never looked at it that way though.. It's a good angle..

Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2019
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Tallesty1(m): 9:38am On Nov 25, 2019
They're not

1 Like

Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by tpiar: 9:43am On Nov 25, 2019
What is feminism?

Women's rights? I know on nairaland it has a different meaning.
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by PointBlankFOREX: 3:01pm On Nov 25, 2019
tpiar:
What is feminism?

Not just here on nairaland. in nigeria as a whole.
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 26, 2019
Tallesty1:
They're not
surely.. So many women in Nigeria try to combine both though and that is what baffles me..
Re: Feminism And Christianity; Are They Compatible? by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2019
tpiar:
What is feminism?

No not really women's right in the real sense because women do have rights.. In saner climes like in the US, the law even favors women a whole lot more than it does men..

Feminism for me, is the belief that the male and female gender are equals and should be treated as such in every aspect of life..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Would Like To Be Friend With Christian Ladies From North Or Middle Belt Niaja / Bible Verses That Destroy The Flat Earth Theory / Iranians Surrender To JESUS CHRIST And Secretly Get Baptized ( Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.