Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (40605 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by subcbouy: 11:43am On Nov 11, 2019
Regret having foreign certificate? No way! I only have regretted seeing myself born in Africa, where nothing works.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 11:44am On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

That’s true thou. But one can save alittle from the menail jobs and either relocate to somewhere better...is that feasible?
sure. Just find one oyibo or black with pali marry . You don dey alright cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by owowa145(m): 11:46am On Nov 11, 2019
kheny12:
Me that studied at Nairaland university in Canada for my Bsc,I studied hospitality&statistics grin,I don't have any regret because I have skills in farming and banking.
I studied @ Nairaland University, Madagascar for my Doctorate in Socio-Mediology. I am here to testify that i don't regret it, cos i obtained skills in trolling. : cheesy cool
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by BotherMleeper(m): 11:55am On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

But u admit there are people, no matter where they go or what high class uni they attend, still end up with a bleeped up life. See my screenshot above

Not institutions like Harvard

Besides, life is a hodgepodge of complex decisions and chance that affect everyone and everything. What you decide in the confines of your room will have a butterfly effect on someone somewhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 11:56am On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Bro, you totally off point, where was it mentioned that he didn't find a job or was redundant?

"...he worked for a while in the academia but gave it up in 1969 to live in a shack in the woods..."

Doesn't he pass for a drug addict who veered off course by engaging in illicit activities? Like selling bombs....I insist the post is a joke.

That's the whole point. U don't know if he was a drug addict. U don't know his particular story. Your knee-jerk reaction is that he must be joking
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by lastmanstandn(m): 12:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
As a director in a state’s public service in the United States, the decision to leave Nigeria is my best ever.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
omohayek:

The question isn't whether his English is merely "OK", but whether it's on the level one would expect of a Harvard graduate, and on that score he clearly falls far short. Anyone with a degree from such a selective institution would be expected to have mastered basic concepts of style such as fully capitalizing proper nouns, even when they have multiple components, and the proper usage of commas.

U forget this is social media - the aim is as long as people understand what u trying 2 say not Grammer. Never judge someone's education by how they punctuate on social media
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by bjbjbj: 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2019
No
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

That's the whole point. U don't know if he was a drug addict. U don't know his particular story. Your knee-jerk reaction is that he must be joking

I said leave that guy, he is a joker, probably an upcoming comedian. No MIT, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford etc. first class graduate can be 'stranded' especially in fields like engineering or technology. Don't allow one clown distort your thinking.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by drlateef: 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
I am an alumnus of Queen Maragaret University in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was one of the most exciting experience in every way. I will never regret it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by BabbanBura(m): 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2019
Smile4mee01:
Dear Nairlanders,

I am always curious to know if you regret your decision to study abroad i.e Bsc. MSC. Or PhD level.

Your insights will help guide other young nigerians on decisions to take in that regard.

Thanks.

No regrets so far, but bros u need to put alot of thoughts into the course and school you want. Let your plans drive your choices, in other words, what do you want the degree for?
Secondly, focus on your purpose for going there and do it with your whole being, achieve excellence. A pass may probably not give u much edge competitively.
The values far outweigh the cost if u can afford it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Faculty14(m): 12:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
the so called 2 years will be used to drive taxi and menial jobs. Beware
are you saying it's impossible to be gainfully employed even after spending 2years undecided
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2019
Iyango:

He isn't right. Morocco is not in the desert. Talking from experience. It shares border with Spain. In fact, just a bridge that separate both countries.

I'm talking from experience too. See below

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by edoairways: 12:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
TheGreatIYANU:

Yes sir...
Wow that is good. The media indeed powerful
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by elladiamond: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
EricMason:
Regret what exactly bruh? Been here 7years counting and I don’t feel a damn thing but thankful everyday wen I wake up to read the news bout my country.
-0% regret bruh 100% grateful. What i earn a month here I can’t earn it in nija a month fact, what I save here I can’t save it in nija fact.
Hey there, am currently seeking for admission in Canada, for masters in data science and analysis, I haven't seen any scholarship grant that I qualified for yet, please can you tell me your experience and how you finally crossed over to Canada. Thanks will be waiting for your reply.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

I said leave that guy, he is joker, probably an upcoming comedian. No MIT, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford etc. first class graduate can be 'stranded' specially in fields like engineering or technology. Don't allow one clown distort your thinking.

He didn't say he was stranded. Co- founder of Apple also quit and went to teach elementary school
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

Not institutions like Harvard

Besides, life is a hodgepodge of complex decisions and chance that affect everyone and everything. What you decide in the confines of your room will have a butterfly effect on someone somewhere.

I've read severally of Harvard grads attempting suicide. See below

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Gtuns(m): 12:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
abbasajao:

I swear Nairaland is the best place to get relieved of any stress. Just keep reading comments

We are on the same page brother
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
abbasajao:

I swear Nairaland is the best place to get relieved of any stress. Just keep reading comments

But you gotta be careful. Shít is addictive and u may end up getting nothing else done

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

He didn't say he was stranded. Co- founder of Apple also quit and went to teach elementary school

Please let us not derail this conversation and put things within the context of this thread and the guy's post.

His post centered around not getting a good job despite having gone to Harvard, that he had to settle for a job in a secondary school in Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria and I'm telling you categorically that, that is flumadiddle. It's one thing to have a passion for teaching and you willingly opt for it, it's another thing to take up the job because you are jobless, that guy's joke exemplifies the latter and it is utter gibberish.

Who finishes top of his class with a first class at MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge etc. and finds himself jobless with no choice other than to work in a secondary school? Again, please don't let that clown distort your thinking, such people are head-hunted, even the so-called village people would helplessly watch them slip away.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
lastmanstandn:
As a director in a state’s public service in the United States, the decision to leave Nigeria is my best ever.

What state r u in?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
elladiamond:

Hey there, am currently seeking for admission in Canada, for masters in data science and analysis, I haven't seen any scholarship grant that I qualified for yet, please can you tell me your experience and how you finally crossed over to Canada. Thanks will be waiting for your reply.
look for more money
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by subcbouy: 12:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
omohayek:

The question isn't whether his English is merely "OK", but whether it's on the level one would expect of a Harvard graduate, and on that score he clearly falls far short. Anyone with a degree from such a selective institution would be expected to have mastered basic concepts of style such as fully capitalizing proper nouns, even when they have multiple components, and the proper usage of commas.
All you who carry gala like English, tire me for here ooooooo.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Please let us not derail this conversation and put things within the context of this thread and the guy's post.

His post centered around not getting a good job despite having gone to Harvard, that he had to settle for a job in a secondary school in Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria and I'm telling you categorically that, that is flumadiddle. It's one thing to have a passion for teaching and you willingly opt for it, it's another thing to take up the job because you are jobless, that guy's joke exemplifies the latter and it is utter gibberish.

Who finishes top of his class with a first class at MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge etc. and find himself jobless with no choice other than to work in a secondary school? Again, please don't let that clown distort your thinking, such people are head-hunted, even the so-called village people would helplessly watch them slip away.

Here is what the guy said. Don't put words into his mouth. He only said where he ended up despite everything. (BTW his post may also be false or partly false):

"I attended Manchester primary school in uk, attended boys high school Houston in united states and graduated from Harvard in United states with a first class in Engineering, but with all these I am a teacher in God's saviour secondary school in Oshodi. So in all what is my gain? This world is wicked."
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Here is what the guy said. Don't put words into his mouth. He only said where he ended up despite everything. (BTW his post may also be false or partly false):

"I attended Manchester primary school in uk, attended boys high school Houston in united states and graduated from Harvard in United states with a first class in Engineering, but with all these I am a teacher in God's saviour secondary school in Oshodi. So in all what is my gain? This world is wicked."

This is the crux of his post "...so in all what is my gain?..." so what does that tell you? Simply put, he settled seabed beneath his dreams and aspirations. Anyway, I insist it is not true and the whole post is just a hoax, believe him at your own peril of having distorted thoughts, isn't it obvious that dude was joking?

I don't want to ask you some questions so I don't sound insulting, so I'd ask in another light, I assume you watch football, would you believe it if someone told you a Balloon d'or winner has no top-notch club interested in him? That s/he is living a low life? Who doesn't need one of the best materials in the world for his business? And by the way, they don't come cheap, so when next you want to go for a comedy show, please look out for that poster's moniker on the list of performers.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Lionpikin(m): 1:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
rtdCivilservant:
I attended Manchester primary school in uk, attended boys high school Houston in united states and graduated from Harvard in United states with a first class in Engineering, but with all these I am a teacher in God's saviour secondary school in Oshodi. So in all what is my gain? This world is wicked.
I am sorry, I find it hard to believe this your story.....I mean, first class in engineering in a Nigeria institution will get you a good job, talk more of Harvard University....

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Lionpikin(m): 1:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
Amstupid:
d question is not for u,,,,, na village pipu putt hand for ur own matter oo undecided
I he thing no tire me? I dey find am hard to believe the guy sha
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 1:23pm On Nov 11, 2019
isthatso:
The question was "do you regret studying abroad" not "do you regret studying in the UK". Are you better off with a UK degree than a Nigerian degree? You are answering a different question to what was asked.

He is totally answering the question. This is not just about the degree but what you were able to do with afterwards

His post was relevant to people planning to study in the UK so I don't see the point of that thing you wrote
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 1:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Bro, you totally off point, where was it mentioned that he didn't find a job or was redundant?

"...he worked for a while in the academia but gave it up in 1969 to live in a shack in the woods..."

Doesn't he pass for a drug addict who veered off course by engaging in illicit activities? Like selling bombs....I insist the post is a joke.

He was disillusioned by the effect technology was going to have on the world in future...

Some people are so ahead of those around them that they get depressed that others cannot see what they are seeing

That guy was very smart but it got too much for him in the end. Read his full biography, he was very intelligent
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 1:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

This is the crux of his post "...So in all what is my gain?..." so what does that tell you? Simply put, he settled seabed low beneath his dreams and aspirations. Anyway I insist it is not true and the whole post is just a hoax, believe him at your own peril of having distorted thoughts, isn't it obvious that dude was joking?

I don't want to ask you some questions so I don't sound insulting, so I'd ask in another light, I assume you watch football, would you believe it if someone told you a Balloon d'or winner has no top-notch club interested in him? That s/he is living a low life? Who doesn't need one of the best materials in the world for his business? And by the way, they don't come cheap, so when next you want to go for a comedy show, please look out for that poster's moniker on the list of performers.

He never said he couldn't get a job or no one was interested in him. The scenario he presented is quite possible. All it takes is a trip to jail followed by deportation and alcoholism or addiction to hard drugs.

However I think the post is probably false for the following reasons:
1)"Boys high school Houston" (Google says no such school exists)
2)Harvard in USA (bet he doesn't know what city Harvard is in)
3)What sort of name is " God's saviour"?!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rolly22(m): 1:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
2 years to drive uber, work in tesco supermarket and do security job lol

Still better than staying in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

He never said he couldn't get a job or no one was interested in him. The scenario he presented is quite possible. All it takes is a trip to jail followed by deportation and alcoholism or addiction to hard drugs.

However I think the post is probably false for the following reasons:
1)"Boys high school Houston" (Google says no such school exists)
2)Harvard in USA (bet he doesn't know what city Harvard is in)
3)What sort of name is " God's saviour"?!

Lol.

He was being sarcastic...lampooning people who list all their big-man qualifications and yet have nothing to show for it

There's nothing like "boys school", from the beginning that should have told you to take it as a Joke

Anyway even if you're on drugs or whatever, one of the main points in going to an elite private school like Harvard or Covenant is making lifelong connections with wealthy and powerful people.

So you couldn't even end up in oshodi if you wanted to because your classmate probably wouldn't allow you. They would fix you up with something somewhere

Even Prince Edward managed to enter Cambridge with grades CDD and that was the end of it

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Shares WAEC Result Of Orphan Whose University Education He Would Be Funding / MC Oluomo Rewards Boy Who Drew His Portrait With N500,000 Naira (PHOTOS) / 50-Year-Old Mother Enrols In JSS2 At Ilorin Grammar School (Photos/Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.