Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (40548 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Many, many people have insane ideas without being insane. When people cross that line and everybody says they are insane, it is because they are exhibiting certain BEHAVIOURS

A sane and insane person can both come up with a crazy idea. And both can come up with sane ideas too

Behaviour is socially constructed(to an extent). 100 years ago it was normal for women to walk around without covering their upper body, now we see such and assume she must be a madwoman
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
Tarabye:
You see your life, how would you compare something that happened in the 1960s with this our modern era
Jokes aside If you are a graduate of Harvard it's a very rare thing to be roaming the streets without a job, we are talking of US not Nigeria where connection works

It happened in 1996 not 60's. Read the screenshot again. Rare, yes, but not impossible
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

A sane and insane person can both come up with a crazy idea. And both can come up with sane ideas too

Behaviour is socially constructed. 100 years ago it was normal for women to walk around without covering their upper body, now we see such and assume she must be a madwoman

Exactly. TODAY only a mad person would exhibit such behavior today
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Exactly. TODAY only a mad person would exhibit such behavior today

And in the future, what will people do? What if we start taking our clothes off again (which naturists do) and it becomes the new "normal"?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

And in the future, what will people do? What if we start taking our clothes off again (which naturists do) and it becomes the new "normal"?

Exactly! So u see my point. No behaviour is intrinsically insane. It depends on how most people view it at that moment in time
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by laiperi: 4:05pm On Nov 11, 2019
I must say that I have not read every post but find enough disgusting.

This is why we do not have good schools in Nigeria. A Nigerian graduate that was lucky to get a job with foreign oil company even boast abroad that they prefer foreign graduates, which is true.

This is why most Africans are lured out. The difference is that the first generation that schooled abroad could not wait to get back home after seeing through the deception and hypocrisy of the people they had admired and schools they glorified.

They came back home and fough the hypocrites demanding Independence.

Listen, that you went to Harvard or Oxford does not quarantee success. At the end of your program, the best companies will come to your schools to recruit. At the end of the recruitment, the only ones left without a job in business, law, medicine and engineering are minorities.

Of course lucky token few will be recruited but watch how long they last with those companies.

Disappointed black, Hispanic and foreign students have to use their own initiatives to hustle for jobs, start their own business selling the prestigious schools they attended. Many have to seek counseling because they cannot admit or believe it.

Some of those come back to Africa lying to you and themselves.

The ones you celebrate and beat your chest about, never tell you how they are kicked, disrespected and fired in spite of their success in their fields.

Africans, when are you going to face the truth and realities and learn from your first generation that bitterly fought for political Independence which this generation is selling back as economic Dependence by trying to become foreign currency billionaires?

You go try so tey until you sell your next generations into slavery again.

Ndi ......., Oponu, Barawo!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by NoFap123: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
This thread was supposed to be an educative thread but the comments especially on the first page are disappointing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by NoFap123: 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Maybe you are still doubting because you still 'think' his post is false, well I'm telling you it's a big fat lie. Only someone who either did not go to school or doesn't understand the power & influence of such institutions would swallow his lies/ joke, hook, line and sinker.

The purpose of this thread is to share experiences on how going to school abroad has affected your life, do you regret it? Very simple question and he responded by saying he went to the best schools in the world yet ended up in a secondary school in Oshodi and some peeps are here making assumptions and excuses for him, what happened in between is not our concern, let us face the essence of the thread but I'm telling you the guy was just joking. Big, fat lie.
Hello, I have followed your discussion with PoliteActivist and all I can see is a smart mind devoid of insults even though it's glaring you are the right one here.
if you don't mind, I would like to connect with you outside this space.
Shoot me a mail:
I will reply ASAP. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by NoFap123: 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

The thread simply asked if u regret studying abroad. The guy said he does because despite Harvard he still ended up at Oshodi. Your immediate response is that u can't end up in Oshodi if u went to Harvard. I'm telling you, YOU CAN! The guy may be lying but u can
To start with, there is nothing like First Class when classifying undergraduate degree.
It's Magna cum Laude, Summa laude etc.
It's pretty difficult to finish from HARVARD or any TOP 25 school in Engineering with the highest class possible and return to Oshodi to teach. This can only be possible if you deliberately took the decision, but of options?
Nah, I disagree big time.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 4:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
laiperi:
I must say that I have not read every post but find enough disgusting.

This is why we do not have good schools in Nigeria. A Nigerian graduate that was lucky to get a job with foreign oil company even boast abroad that they prefer foreign graduates, which is true.

This is why most Africans are lured out. The difference is that the first generation that schooled abroad could not wait to get back home after seeing through the deception and hypocrisy of the people they had admired and schools they glorified.

They came back home and fough the hypocrites demanding Independence.

Listen, that you went to Harvard or Oxford does not quarantee success. At the end of your program, the best companies will come to your schools to recruit. At the end of the recruitment, the only ones left without a job in business, law, medicine and engineering are minorities.

Of course lucky token few will be recruited but watch how long they last with those companies.

Disappointed black, Hispanic and foreign students have to use their own initiatives to hustle for jobs, start their own business selling the prestigious schools they attended. Many have to seek counseling because they cannot admit or believe it.

Some of those come back to Africa lying to you and themselves.

The ones you celebrate and beat your chest about, never tell you how they are kicked, disrespected and fired in spite of their success in their fields.

Africans, when are you going to face the truth and realities and learn from your first generation that bitterly fought for political Independence which this generation is selling back as economic Dependence by trying to become foreign currency billionaires?

You go try so tey until you sell your next generations into slavery again.

Ndi ......., Oponu, Barawo!

True, but u r way too late. Check out this tread:

https://www.nairaland.com/5371533/canada-stealing-young-people

Here is how the post starts:

"Yes, Canada is not just taking our young people, they are taking the fattest of our crops, the best, the brightest, and the brainiest!

One of them is my friend, Olufemi, (not real name). He graduated top of his class and best in the entire university! Nine years after graduation... "

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by styles2009: 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

Wow! I’m having a similar situation, I plan on going to Germany for masters (free tuition) though they have a 1/half years stay back policy, I wanted to apply for PG in Canada initially but the rate of denial is scary.

I’m kinda confused...it’s easier integrating in Canada

Learn German for 2yrs before you come and study something relivant and where they have job openings, you'll be glad you did.
Don't ignore the language part, don't, I repeat don't.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
NoFap123:

To start with, there is nothing like First Class when classifying undergraduate degree.
It's Magna cum Laude, Summa laude etc.
It's pretty difficult to finish from HARVARD or any TOP 25 school in Engineering with the highest class possible and return to Oshodi to teach. This can only be possible if you deliberately took the decision, but of options?
Nah, I disagree big time.

With due respect, if u remove emotion, u will see I'm the one right. Yoighaman is wrong. You just can't say such a thing is impossible. IT IS POSSIBLE. I know because I've seen something close. Difficult, yes. Rare, yes. But not impossible.
As 4 your post above, when addressing a British or Nigerian forum u use "first class" because that's what they will umderstand

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 4:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
NoFap123:

Hello, I have followed your discussion with PoliteActivist and all I can see is a smart mind devoid of insults even though it's glaring you are the right one here.
if you don't mind, I would like to connect with you outside this space.
Shoot me a mail: eulerciva@gmail.com.
I will reply ASAP. Thanks.

Thanks bro. I'd do that.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 5:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Thank bro. I'd do that.

Be a bigger man and tell him that while u appreciate his concurrence you must admit that just about anything is possible including a Harvard dean ending up in Oshodi
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Be a bigger man and tell him that while u appreciate his concurrence you must admit that just about anything is possible including a Harvard dean ending up in Oshodi

How can I possibly admit to such skewed line of thought? I would only admit if you can prove to me that First Bank of Nigeria is larger than ICBC.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by IzzyyUnique: 6:06pm On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

Yeah free tuition...but you’ll nedd a 10k euros block account for your wellfare.

10k for block account? That's much o. . Chai. .
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by trilobite: 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

But we are NOT talking of insane ideas. We r talking of insane people. If everyone says u r insane, that's the definition of insanity

Insane ideas come from insane people!! It's illogical to separate both.

Galileo and the rest were called insane by everyone during their time. There is even sad stories of scientists who committed suicide because people called them insane for their theories.
Only for future generations to celebrate them later.

The term "insanity" isn't clear as you would think, as what is insane today could become sane decades later.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Ademoore07(m): 7:04pm On Nov 11, 2019
Amstupid:
d question is not for u,,,,, na village pipu putt hand for ur own matter oo undecided

U made my day guy. I'm almost fainted while laughing
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by pseudonomer: 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Focusmind:

Yes, Germany may be an exception but you have to raise your a little bit further by being fluent in German.

No foreign employer would want to higher someone that cannot communicate properly.

Even companies in UK, US and Canada reject international job applicants that are English speakers because of their poor accent or heavy African accents.

I am definite, the case is different with IT companies. I know so many people(Africans and other foreigners) working in IT firms in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Koln, Dortmund without any German... but obviously, knowledge of German will open more opportunities and also edge. It is essential to integrate socially.

Other fields.. I can’t say

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by NoFap123: 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

With due respect, if u remove emotion, u will see I'm the one right. Yoighaman is wrong. You just can't say such a thing is impossible. IT IS POSSIBLE. I know because I've seen something close. Difficult, yes. Rare, yes. But not impossible.
As 4 your post above, when addressing a British or Nigerian forum u use "first class" because that's what they will umderstand
Okay, let me agree with you. Explain to be in simple terms how it's possible without bringing in spiritual side of it.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by subcbouy: 7:45pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Please let us not derail this conversation and put things within the context of this thread and the guy's post.

His post centered around not getting a good job despite having gone to Harvard, that he had to settle for a job in a secondary school in Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria and I'm telling you categorically that, that is flumadiddle. It's one thing to have a passion for teaching and you willingly opt for it, it's another thing to take up the job because you are jobless, that guy's joke exemplifies the latter and it is utter gibberish.

Who finishes top of his class with a first class at MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge etc. and finds himself jobless with no choice other than to work in a secondary school? Again, please don't let that clown distort your thinking, such people are head-hunted, even the so-called village people would helplessly watch them slip away.
Bro, always remember that things work in all these developed countries, even with lower grade, you will still get something, but not when you come back to this hollow chambers; your sweat to get little fizzled job for your "MIT parole" may require you getting nothing. It is who you know, how you can beat the rest and be the best.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by meobizy(f): 8:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
I did and I do not regret. I stayed jobless for four years after but wouldn’t trade the experience of schooling outside for anything. I was originally against the idea but when I did two months and slowly realized the tutors guide you on how to develop yourself academically I became a fan. It was a far cry from my four year stay in Nigerian university walls.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by omohayek: 8:57pm On Nov 11, 2019
subcbouy:
All you who carry gala like English, tire me for here ooooooo.
Or you could simply admit to yourself that the discussion is above your comprehension level, and move on. It isn't compulsory to post, especially when you have nothing worthwhile to contribute.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by partnerbizn5(m): 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
romenna:
Majority of those who studied in the uk plus other schools abroad and returned are regretting.
personally, I know 2 people who studied in the UK and returned to naija and we work in the same office.
One came with PhD and the other an MSc.
The only thing they bring to the table is phonetics and huge wage bill. (Though the org pay us same salary regardless of the place u did MSc)
They couldn't withstand those of us who did MSc in naija cos our work is very technical and for only skilled professionals.
An external examiner came to assess the staff and rated those of us that did MSc in naija above the two UK graduates.
The one with PhD had to run to another firm cos she was always depressed and complains a lot about job dissatisfaction.
Their expectation is always above the roof, thinking the world owes them for studying abroad.
I have started a PhD programme here in naija.
Success is not environmentally transmitted.
I know a lot of friends outside naija always hailing me anytime I post on Facebook.

Abeg, your phd na for which school?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by joshrare(m): 10:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Exactly. There could be such a thing as destiny after all. There are Nigerians who schooled and live in Australia, Canada, US whose lives are totally messed up. You can't escape your destiny

yeah!!!
that's a Nigerian mentality
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by romenna: 10:48pm On Nov 11, 2019
partnerbizn5:

Abeg, your phd na for which school?
get an MSc first b4 talking about PhD.
Or do you have one already?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by partnerbizn5(m): 11:20pm On Nov 11, 2019
romenna:
get an MSc first b4 talking about PhD. Or do you have one already?
.I mean which school is that?.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by segun18(m): 11:23pm On Nov 11, 2019
jaybee3:

It's Staffordshire not Standfordshire

Right Sorry for the typo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by segun18(m): 11:35pm On Nov 11, 2019
Estellie:
Please can you explain how you got your citizenship?

Very labourous route which doesn't exist anymore...though the Present Conservative Govt have just Re- introduce the 2 year Post - Study system.

From Post Study to High Skilled Visa - through to Indefinite leave to Remain coupled with lots of Prayers and Night Vigils.My Friend,I won't lie to you that it was easy.The Canadian Route must probably be easier.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Estellie: 11:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
segun18:

Very labourous route which doesn't exist anymore...though the Present Conservative Govt have just Re- introduce the 2 year Post - Study system.

From Post Study to High Skilled Visa - through to Indefinite leave to Remain coupled with lots of Prayers and Night Vigils.My Friend,I won't lie to you that it was easy.The Canadian Route must probably be easier.

Thanks for the response....
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by romenna: 6:13am On Nov 12, 2019
partnerbizn5:

.I mean which school is that?.
ur point exactly?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by partnerbizn5(m): 7:47am On Nov 12, 2019
romenna:
ur point exactly?

You mentioned that you are a Phd student.

I inquired which school it was.

You evaded the question and started schooling me on the processes and the need to get an Msc first.

Were you right in that?
Was that response apt for the question?
If that was an exam or interview question, would your response be the same?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why I Wrote UTME Again, Unizik’s Best-graduating Student Reveals / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.