Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

White American Girl Speaking Yoruba - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba (14155 Views)

American Girl That Speaks Yoruba Fluently / ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi / The Finest African American Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 21, 2010
^^If that is your attempt to make me look bad you have displayed what is called an EPIC FAIL  tongue. It is the truth and was clearly mentioned because you are on this "Nigeria is the best African nation crusade" when you need to be brought back to EARTH. You can be proud of being Nigerian but not be delusional. At the end of the day Africa as a whole is constantly disrespected if not by some Neo-Nazi organization, it's by television propaganda [which has YET to show Africa's modern cities but instead of "poor" villagers with babies having enlarged stomachs or the "animal kingdom" and if we are lucky rebels and footage of civil wars] and lastly even in the class rooms in the textbooks that either disregard African history as a whole or gives it little mention except when talking about slavery or civil wars and it is ALWAYS the LAST and shortest section.

It is a fact that in the west the average black person still believes Nigerians are wearing face paint and walking around with spears because that is how you are portrayed in television just like any other African nation. So in essence before you go around criticizing your African neighbors you and your fellow country man should see what would it take to not only elevate as a nation but also set an example as a continent to lead and gain the respect that is due. Not bicker about Nolly vs Gholly-wood, who looks better, who is economically and culturally superior. I listed all of that to say even with Nigeria's achievements you all are still insulted and disregarded so you are in no better a position than any other African nation. OBVIOUSLY. So I do not know what you were trying to achieve but you failed. Let's utilize common sense, if I were really using that to diss Africa, why in the backside would I be bent up out of shape when you tried to tell me how nonAfrican I am? Why would I be so eager to get you all to end the bickering if I were so anti-Africa and wanted to put her down? I clearly stated in the post before that that "I AM AFRICAN" regardless of my never having been there or being able to call out a specific tribe. So why would I put African down? does that make sense to you?

I am still proud of Africa regardless and it hurts my heart when I do reach out and you disrespect me and try to justify it by twisting my words when YOU know you were out of line, not I. You were upset that the Ghanaian guy and I were able to relate and because we came to a common ground you in all that Ghana-hate built up inside you spew out the most vile and hurtful insults imaginable and you should be thoroughly and utterly ashamed of yourself. You tell me that because I am on the other side of the Atlantic and the descendant of Africa's garbage I am irrelevant. Despicable.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 21, 2010
*through here, I am going to the original thread. I will no longer take part in derailing this one. You are following me, you found me so lets take it back to the original one wink*
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 11:21am On Nov 21, 2010
Lol, this girl is awesome! I'm impressed by the steps she has taken to learn Yoruba. I need to step it up.

Also, is it me or she kinda cute, too? wink
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by excoba101: 11:24am On Nov 21, 2010
Dapo she is only 16
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 11:30am On Nov 21, 2010
^-- She is proly in her 20s, where on earth did you get 16 from? Does she even SOUND like a 16 year old to you, lol?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by excoba101: 11:32am On Nov 21, 2010
I was more active than she is at 16.
In her 20s? Come on men wink
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 11:39am On Nov 21, 2010
^-- Eh, pretty clear you don't know how to judge people's ages properly. If you think she is 16, then proly some 50 year old white woman has convinced you she is in her 20s before, lol. You must have been pretty angry afterwards when you found out the truth grin
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by excoba101: 11:42am On Nov 21, 2010
grin grin grin
the reverse of your example above would have been the proper way to place me on "the scale"  grin

Was just kidding anywayz

And i liked how she almost turned the Yoruba to English rolling are tongue
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by excoba101: 11:55am On Nov 21, 2010
hahahaha

she says they are calling her "oyinbo" "oyinbo"
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 11:56am On Nov 21, 2010
I'm basically very much for people all over the world (white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc) learning Yoruba. The more connections and exposure our culture has to the rest of the world, the better.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by excoba101: 12:02pm On Nov 21, 2010
Yeah but in her case i assume either she learned it to gain a job at foreign ministry or she was sponsored by her government to learn it.

But no matter how circumspectic white people are there could be some that are willing to study our culture as their course.

I might be wrong.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by InesQor(m): 2:14pm On Nov 21, 2010
LMAO! Oh my days!! My long-lost-friend MzDarkSkin kiss and my new friend ragdollz kiss are duking it out to the max!  grin

I can't take sides here. Let me sit down and enjoy the show  cheesy

Edit: I just finished the whole thread. Sigh, I missed the action! cry cry
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2010
^^awe sorry babe! Next time I will get you free V.I.P seats grin
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by InesQor(m): 8:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
kiss kiss Alright sweetiepie! cheesy

Lol!

Hmmm now I see why we never meet on NL threads anymore. I hardly stick my head out of religion, you hardly come in there cos you dont believe most of what we talk about.

kiss Which just makes rare chances like this all the more fun kiss
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 21, 2010
^well I am a bit of a pain but one thing is for sure, I do NOT mess with ppls religious beliefs so I shy away  tongue
Missed you though. How have you been? I hope all has been/ is well.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by InesQor(m): 8:56pm On Nov 21, 2010
Oh thanks, all has been well MzDarkSkin smiley
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by millco88(f): 2:38am On Nov 22, 2010
Her Yoruba is getting stronger everyday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlgnGAGFsU
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by SALady(f): 12:19pm On Nov 24, 2010
Yeah its about time they learn, I am tired of speaking English man. @OP Any white woman out there speaking Setswana? or am I pushing it?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by harshie11: 10:30pm On Nov 24, 2010
Hello everyone! E ku ijiroro.
I am the "White American Girl Speaking Yoruba" this forum is discussing. Titilayo is my name. I would just like to say I am really humbled, shocked, excited, sort of freaked out and just really astounded that people are actually taking the time to discuss ME and my scholastic ambitions on this forum. I started speaking Yoruba because I felt something I loved when I traveled to Angola with RISE International a few years ago. I had the experience of my life and I wanted to do anything to go back to Africa. Speaking an African language seemed like the best way to go back, and also an excellent pairing to studying journalism. I want to be a journalist in Nigeria someday. All of these videos I am posting on You Tube is not to show off or to brag to all the Nigerians who don't speak Yoruba. Not at all. I actually uploaded the first video, "Titi Speaks," because in order to embed a video on my blogstream it was mandatory to post it to YouTube. So for all of you thinking I am just posting to show off, you are mistaken. My intention is to bring my friends, family and especially all the new acquaintances I've met in person and electronically on this journey with me. Like I said I want to become a journalist so I hope this blog helps me get a foot in the door. Thanks for all your motivation, criticism, encouragement and blessings. Bringing the cyber world into my experience is making it that much more interesting. Ire o! E toju ara yin daadaa.

Emi ni teyin,
Titilayo
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by fstranger: 11:00pm On Nov 24, 2010
Sup Titi,

How's Madison? Are you a Cheesehead? Heard you go to UW?
Anyhow, keep doing what you are doing. Ignore the haters, most of them are not Yoruba. Their hatred is borne out of frustration that you are not learning their language.
Haters will keep hating, don't forget that.
We Yorubas are lovely people, and we are glad that you are learning our language.

Are you in Nigeria? Don't forget to visit Ife before you head back to the states. Ife, not too far from Ibadan, is the cradle of Yorubaland.
Anywho, stay focused and keep doing what your are doing.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by tpia5: 6:49am On Nov 25, 2010
an excellent pairing to studying journalism. I want to be a journalist in Nigeria someday.

that explains a lot.

I started speaking Yoruba because I felt something I loved when I traveled to Angola with RISE International a few years ago. I had the experience of my life and I wanted to do anything to go back to Africa

dont really get the connection between yoruba and angola [besides the africa one], but ok.

and yes, your yoruba is improving.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 7:41am On Nov 25, 2010
harshie11:

I am the "White American Girl Speaking Yoruba" this forum is discussing. Titilayo is my name.
Hey, nice to meet you.

I would just like to say I am really humbled, shocked, excited, sort of freaked out and just really astounded that people are actually taking the time to discuss ME and my scholastic ambitions on this forum. I started speaking Yoruba because I felt something I loved when I traveled to Angola with RISE International a few years ago. I had the experience of my life and I wanted to do anything to go back to Africa. Speaking an African language seemed like the best way to go back, and also an excellent pairing to studying journalism.
Indeed. Though the typical choice is usually one of the larger languages like Swahili. This is why at least me personally, I'm pleased you chose our language.

I want to be a journalist in Nigeria someday. All of these videos I am posting on You Tube is not to show off or to brag to all the Nigerians who don't speak Yoruba. Not at all. I actually uploaded the first video, "Titi Speaks," because in order to embed a video on my blogstream it was mandatory to post it to YouTube. So for all of you thinking I am just posting to show off, you are mistaken.
Honestly, people will hate on anything one does, so best bet is to ignore them. Nothing in your actions can really be viewed as bragging or even disrespectful, imo.

Like I said I want to become a journalist so I hope this blog helps me get a foot in the door.
Yep, should be a good way to achieve these goals. Also, it is quite likely that your blog and adventures will be noticed by the local newspapers. wink
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by fstranger: 7:49am On Nov 25, 2010
Hey Titi,

Listen to Mr. DapoBear, he is one of the elders of our culture, atleast on NL.
kiss

Sup Daps?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 9:13am On Nov 25, 2010
Disappointed in how poorly the Heat are playing and regretting my procrastination in the lab earlier this week, but otherwise pretty good. How about you bro?

And lol @ me as an elder smiley
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by DapoBear(m): 11:34am On Nov 25, 2010
Oh, one other comment. One of my friends out here is an African-American anthropology student who is also interested in Yoruba culture. She has learned to speak Yoruba and spends her summers in Yorubaland doing her research there.

I think I'll encourage her to start a blog of some sort as well, when she next goes.

Hopefully my fellow Yoruba see the value in having our language and culture being the first that people seek to learn when they want to understand Nigerian and West African culture.

It is something to be lauded and encouraged, imo.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 6:44pm On Nov 26, 2010
harshie11:

I am the "White American Girl Speaking Yoruba" this forum is discussing. Titilayo is my name. I would just like to say I am really humbled, shocked, excited, sort of freaked out and just really astounded that people are actually taking the time to discuss ME and my scholastic ambitions on this forum. I started speaking Yoruba because I felt something I loved when I traveled to Angola with RISE International a few years ago. I had the experience of my life and I wanted to do anything to go back to Africa. Speaking an African language seemed like the best way to go back, and also an excellent pairing to studying journalism. I want to be a journalist in Nigeria someday. All of these videos I am posting on You Tube is not to show off or to brag to all the Nigerians who don't speak Yoruba. Not at all. I actually uploaded the first video, "Titi Speaks," because in order to embed a video on my blogstream it was mandatory to post it to YouTube. So for all of you thinking I am just posting to show off, you are mistaken. My intention is to bring my friends, family and especially all the new acquaintances I've met in person and electronically on this journey with me. Like I said I want to become a journalist so I hope this blog helps me get a foot in the door. Thanks for all your motivation, criticism, encouragement and blessings. Bringing the cyber world into my experience is making it that much more interesting. Ire o! E toju ara yin daadaa.

Emi ni teyin,
Titilayo

Hey!! Nice of you to drop by cheesy. As you must have gathered, I'm one of your ardent fans cheesy. Okay, seriously though, there's nothing wrong with you showcasing your achievements, that's what YouTube's for. And don't get alarmed with the way the whole thing caused a ruckus. It was never about YOU, but about some other folks inferiority complexes. Keep doing your thing babes, you rock smiley!!!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 01, 2010
ragdollz:

Hey!! Nice of you to drop by cheesy. As you must have gathered, I'm one of your ardent fans cheesy. Okay, seriously though, there's nothing wrong with you showcasing your achievements, that's what YouTube's for. And don't get alarmed with the way the whole thing caused a ruckus. It was never about YOU, but about some other folks inferiority complexes. Keep doing your thing babes, you rock smiley!!!

I know that's right tongue
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by millco88(f): 11:25pm On Dec 01, 2010
harshie11:

Emi ni teyin,
Titilayo

Nice to hear from the you. Next time you upload a vid can you give a shoutout to millco88 for making you a bit more popular. Those increased views didn't occur outta nowhere.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

I know that's right  tongue

Thank goodness you've learnt from your mistake tongue. There's a US black president now, so no more feeling down on yerself for being black and Jamo, ok tongue.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Konquest: 5:23pm On Oct 17, 2019
millco88:
For those in Nigeria and abroad that are ashamed of their heritage, here's a video of an oyinbo from America, embracing the Yoruba culture. She sure put alot of half of nairalanders to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsltcnHxzfI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLzWfxBRa8Q&feature=related
^^^^
^^^^
Brilliant... grin
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by nlPoster: 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2019
I wish I spoke more African languages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names / BBC Apologizes To Emir Sanusi Over False Publication Of Financial Recklessness / Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.