Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,420 members, 7,819,516 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

My Landlord And I - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord And I (59813 Views)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord And I by amadiwati(m): 2:40am On Nov 17, 2019
Pay him cash. Ask for your receipt immediately. If he doesn't provide receipt. Retrieve your money
Re: My Landlord And I by notoriousbabe: 2:50am On Nov 17, 2019
bonnyhope:

Oga, be bold to share your testimony

No body knows why you are thanking Baba God
why una wan know? Una wan hold meeting so as to go block am?I no dey tell una why,I don wise now
Re: My Landlord And I by Juliearth(f): 3:31am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:
Good afternoon Nairalanders,

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Lest I forget, my landlord extorts a lot. That's his hobby.

Your wife is right, that man is evil and for your sanity, please look for another accommodation. Don't decline his offer! Rather, tell him that you are seriously sourcing for the money. His Eyes will clear the day you move out.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Tlyon(m): 3:33am On Nov 17, 2019
My brother don't fall for landlords call as the issue of electricity disconnection would continue, as well make sure you use the available time to make findings about where you moving in next(if you would be moving out) so as to not fall victim of same situation. I so submit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by kelmicheal: 3:48am On Nov 17, 2019
SO you want to live in a house where you wont pay your bills first of all your landlord is not a nepa man or owns the electricity company is an offense to own debt of bills.
Some tenants have wahala and very troublesome.
my advice to landlord is to apply for prepaid meter to avoid all these headache.
Re: My Landlord And I by davillian(m): 3:55am On Nov 17, 2019
Levels1:

I guess you are a comedian?
In case you don't know, or maybe where you are living is a rural area if not, if you are giving a quit notice before you pack out from the house , you are going to pay all the months that the notification covers. Unless your landlord is a novice and even at that, he will have someone to enlighten him and you stand a chance of lossing all your property with the help of the law, I. E Court.
Under Lagos tenancy law 2011?
Re: My Landlord And I by Chuchuguy231: 4:38am On Nov 17, 2019
I went though same process with jidatawo..crazy people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by mfm04622: 5:25am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Am saying what i no and what you dont no . Ask your self why the man gave him six months as he dont want him in his hause any more ? why not one month ?

The laws in all states in the country specifies that tenants who pay yearly rent are entitled to 6 months notice to vacate their place they rent. This was done to give them enough time to seek another place to stay! No where in the laws is it said that tenants should not pay for the notice period! The same laws also said tenants who are owing, are only entitled to between 7 days and 14 days to submit the accommodation to the owner! So, if you meet a landlord or agent that know the law and know how to manage the process, you will blame yourself if you try nonsense ooo

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Sweeetheart(m): 5:49am On Nov 17, 2019
Levels1:

You are funny Bro. Your landlord is a learned fellow i guess?

He is smart and intelligent to have given you quit notice while your rent is still running. He is only notifying you so as for you not to plan spending a day extra from your balance and if it's in ogun State, you will regret it if you refuse to pack out at the end of your payments cause he has given you enough period of time to sort for alternatives.

you called that smartness, so in Ogun state there is no law or court that will make a landlord treat his tenant as shiit

he will prove his smartness by ending of January. already I'm tired of his house, no tiles, no ventilation, I can't use ceiling fan because the house too come down, most of the things he used in the house are archaic, I have been spending money in repair, so I planned living before but for his quit notice, I will treat his fvck up

I'll move out when no one is around and hey that housed will be locked up till God know when
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 6:02am On Nov 17, 2019
YorubaPrince:

Okoro mentality! Dem go deport you go ur savage jungle soon, Olofo! grin
grin TUNDE Olofo
Re: My Landlord And I by todayo(m): 6:20am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Pls pay for the 6months u use extra. Unless you don't pray to have such property.
If you chose not to pay, some other people will suffered for this. Whatever the landlord decision, he owns d property. Pay any month u used in that house. Its for your good.
Re: My Landlord And I by Curdlebug(m): 6:33am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

Your rent expired october 31st, its from that October your 6 months notice is supposed to begins , so your quit notice of 6months to vacate should be in April 2020 and not in march 2020.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by mohdbaffa: 6:41am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:
1)Since your rent expires in October and you're unwilling to Rene rent, why remain in the premises without pay?
2) The notice to quit isn't proper, consult your lawyer.
3) leave the house as quick as possible, you musnt stay till March 2020.

Re: My Landlord And I by EmmyCC: 6:48am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .
quit notice period is never free bro you can enquire.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

If you have money,my dear just pack out of that house,it once happened to me but the issue was all the tenants are expected to take an oath at Elele PHC, I told the man that I won't do that instead let me pack out, as a matter of fact when they all took that oath,I personally do not want anything to do with that house anymore,so I took a date to pack out, eventually got a house the same day I told them I will pack out,I arranged with a driver for my load the next morning,on getting to the house that night,I saw a letter from a lawyer I guess,I kicked the letter away,the next morning,the driver came and I packed my things and left the useless house.
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 7:10am On Nov 17, 2019
EmmyCC:

quit notice period is never free bro you can enquire.
Ok, give me and ask me to pay you . So am first bank of Nigeria .
Re: My Landlord And I by ibechris(m): 7:22am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

Similar thing happened to me around April this year. I lived in this house for 3years without constant water. I struggled to buy water for all this period,prior to the water crisis,I and other tenants used to spend our money in making sure that the water runs into our apartment.

Every time we try they say the water level has gone down that we may not get water at all. This thing continued till one day,we summoned a meeting with the landlords representative. He was talking trash that they cannot do anything about it. And that night,one of us reminded him that this water crisis will affect his rent and consequently lead to people leaving the apartment,he insisted. On my own part, I told him I was going to leave as soon as my rent expires.
After my rent expired he called me to know if I was still interested I told him I doubt,he came with a paper that I should leave the apartment,I said at least I needed a time.

So,he started telling me that he knows that if I leave others will follow suit cos I was like a care taker in that apartment. He talked me into discarding my desire to leave and that I should pay even if is half of my rent which I concurred. Later I told him at the of the month I will pay up my rent and no longer half as we earlier agreed. Not knowing that this guy was planning to evict me while trying to convince me to pay up half of my rent. When I got the wind of it,I immediately secured another apartment and stayed another three months before I eventually moved out. My opposite neighbour fell to his deceit,he paid half and a refund was given to him to leave the apartment.

As at today,that apartment is deserted completely,everyone has gotten another apartment where water and other amenities are fully functional. And painfully that apartment is up for sale caused by bad management.
So,pls do not fall for that irresponsible landlord. Na their way.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by kunzzy4me(m): 7:23am On Nov 17, 2019
wunmi590:
Honestly I dont like living in a compound where the lanlord or landlady also stay, i really find it not comfortable.

I have never had the experience of living with my lanlord or landlady before, except my mother landlady and father landlord.

I am giving room for people who have experienced this kind of situation to contribute.

TBH, I will just advice you leave the compound if you have seen a better place, so that the lanlord won't play a fast one on you.

Wish you success.
Bro that's not true sometime..not all landlords are bad...me for example I have a tenant and been the landlord of my house we have never had any issue of such..in fact...his wife and my family are very close ..even the husband to the woman usually come to play in my apartment.. Even charge their phones sometimes when ever their is no light ...in fact their wonderful tenant. I don't in fact for almost 1 year now we never bother them for electricity payment...and am cool with it..whenever they bring the money for light fine...and they respect me and my family...even now that my daughter has gone to school..they gave my daughter some good gift to take to school... So not all landlords are bad to live with

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord And I by sylve11: 7:28am On Nov 17, 2019
Hmmmm. cool
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 7:33am On Nov 17, 2019
Sweeetheart:

you called that smartness, so in Ogun state there is no law or court that will make a landlord treat his tenant as shiit

he will prove his smartness by ending of January. already I'm tired of his house, no tiles, no ventilation, I can't use ceiling fan because the house too come down, most of the things he used in the house are archaic, I have been spending money in repair, so I planned living before but for his quit notice, I will treat his fvck up

I'll move out when no one is around and hey that housed will be locked up till God know when

It is well.
But it is easier said than done.
Until you find yourself in such situation, then you will be guide on whats way forward and if you are willing to pay damages / been imprison once he report to the police and you are charged to court cause I can see that you really don't know it's criminal to lock someone else property / house in such a manner and it's same reasons why government changed some of Landlords / Tenants Law in Ogun State cos they find out from the complaints by the Landlord's of people who your types have duped. Trust me, I pray for someone like you as a tenant, it's definitely going to be fun cause you will end up spending all your earn sweat money to foot your bills/jail . Happy Sunday Sis.
Re: My Landlord And I by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:34am On Nov 17, 2019
Bawizzo:
"I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019."

I don't understand you!!
He has 6 more months as quit notice which technically run from September to March.
Re: My Landlord And I by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:34am On Nov 17, 2019
Mhurfhy:
Musa is tired at the gate....
Musa should find another gate..

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by akmath: 7:35am On Nov 17, 2019
Bawizzo:
"I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019."

I don't understand you!!
As I read the thing I go check calender, I say maybe Buhari don make person 4get date.
Re: My Landlord And I by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2019
HacheNoire:
Is your landlords wife beautiful?
If yes, send me the house address, I want to move-in once you are out
Local man cannot can!
Re: My Landlord And I by henroo2003: 7:51am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

I don't think the landlord is playing pranks. Many landlords withdrew quit notice so it isn't new. It really shows that he needs money. If you are leaving, six months is free. But if you think you still like the apartment, send the one year to him, instead of half. He can't do anything

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by realtyassociate(m): 8:02am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .

The six months is not free. In the eye of the law, it is supposed to be paid for, but in Nigeria, we have see it as free.
Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

Don't u have ur own lawyer?
Re: My Landlord And I by amakadihot87(f): 8:05am On Nov 17, 2019
Bawizzo:

I don't understand you!!
he was served quit notice on September this year,and the notice lasts for 6months so he is expected to pack out by March .............. meanwhile the rent he paid last expired last month being October
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 8:09am On Nov 17, 2019
realtyassociate:

The six months is not free. In the eye of the law, it is supposed to be paid for, but in Nigeria, we have see it as free.
Nigeria law and london low are not the same . think about it i ask you to pack out and ask you to pay me .
Re: My Landlord And I by EkelediliBuhari: 8:10am On Nov 17, 2019
If you still want to stay, I advice you get another letter from him recalling the eviction notice. Then only should you pay.
Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 17, 2019
Bawizzo:

I don't understand you!!

*Me too*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by Bawizzo(m): 8:15am On Nov 17, 2019
amakadihot87:
he was served quit notice on September this year,and the notice lasts for 6months so he is expected to pack out by March .............. meanwhile the rent he paid last expired last month being October
march 2019?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man's House Flooded After 9-Hour Rainfall In Yenagoa (Photos) / Roofing sheets: Cost Of Roofing With Stone Coated Tiles In Nigeria best type / Omo-Onile Signing Fees In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.