Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

My Landlord And I - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord And I (59794 Views)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord And I by Sweeetheart(m): 8:30am On Nov 17, 2019
Levels1:

It is well.
But it is easier said than done.
Until you find yourself in such situation, then you will be guide on whats way forward and if you are willing to pay damages / been imprison once he report to the police and you are charged to court cause I can see that you really don't know it's criminal to lock someone else property / house in such a manner and it's same reasons why government changed some of Landlords / Tenants Law in Ogun State cos they find out from the complaints by the Landlord's of people who your types have duped. Trust me, I pray for someone like you as a tenant, it's definitely going to be fun cause you will end up spending all your earn sweat money to foot your bills/jail . Happy Sunday Sis.

you're an ignorant of what you don't know and hey I'm not sis OK

we are in Lagos and I studied Lagos state law and his house bill law. stop talking like illiterate, landlord is not god
Re: My Landlord And I by Worthydefender: 8:30am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Thank's . you ask me to quit and ask me to pay ?

You will stay in the house for the 6 months without paying a dine for the rent but you must do other things in a normal way by paying for electricity bill and others. You are not gonna pY for the rent for the 6 months and dnt distroy any property.
Am also in the same situ.....April 2020 is the deadline
Re: My Landlord And I by wunmi590(m): 8:36am On Nov 17, 2019
kunzzy4me:

Bro that's not true sometime..not all landlords are bad...me for example I have a tenant and been the landlord of my house we have never had any issue of such..in fact...his wife and my family are very close ..even the husband to the woman usually come to play in my apartment.. Even charge their phones sometimes when ever their is no light ...in fact their wonderful tenant. I don't in fact for almost 1 year now we never bother them for electricity payment...and am cool with it..whenever they bring the money for light fine...and they respect me and my family...even now that my daughter has gone to school..they gave my daughter some good gift to take to school... So not all landlords are bad to live with

You are right at some point, may be because I have never experienced it before. But mostly what I hear from friends is always not cool, may be that's why i am judging with that.
Re: My Landlord And I by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .

Nigerians are always looking for a way to cheat,who told you that the noticed period are free?they're not free.

And to the op you're looking for a way to escape without paying for the 6months,karma is a bitch it'll always catch up with you.

Pay him his money and beg him for forgiveness and have peace of mind am sure he will let you stay if you are as good as you said.
Re: My Landlord And I by West2019(m): 8:44am On Nov 17, 2019
I'm the landlord what you ate saying here is not truth mr wale .well no prb
Re: My Landlord And I by hedgesfun(m): 9:08am On Nov 17, 2019
Since he claimed he can withdraw the letter, ask him to officially withdraw the quit notice first, then if u still want to stay in the house u can go ahead and pay the rent(only after he had officially withdrawn the quit notice o) then watch him and if need be plan to leave before your rent expire, if he doesn't withdraw it then don't pay a dine just use the period of quit notice to get another apartment. Simple.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 9:20am On Nov 17, 2019
Sweeetheart:

you're an ignorant of what you don't know and hey I'm not sis OK

we are in Lagos and I studied Lagos state law and his house bill law. stop talking like illiterate, landlord is not god

Really?
I see...
Landlord is not god?
�.
You are indeed a law student.
Bravo .

Note : You better learn from elderly one's before you fall victim. Bikonu.
Re: My Landlord And I by Sweeetheart(m): 10:04am On Nov 17, 2019
Levels1:

Really?
I see...
Landlord is not god?
�.
You are indeed a law student.
Bravo .

Note : You better learn from elderly one's before you fall victim. Bikonu.

you're saying thrash

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by EaglesT(m): 10:06am On Nov 17, 2019
madgoat:

Stop saying rubbish and what you know nothing about. The 6 months notice is to be paid for.

You no even sabi spell sef grin

No vex. Na wetin me i sabi.
Re: My Landlord And I by Walexz02(m): 10:29am On Nov 17, 2019
Awol1:
I once lived with a landlord that locked my toilet for over one month.

Na God go judge u, Ogene.

May God make us all Landlords in Jesus name.
What did you do that warranted that?
You don't wash toilets undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by alaira(m): 10:52am On Nov 17, 2019
[s]
HacheNoire:
Is your landlords wife beautiful?

If yes, send me the house address, I want to move-in once you are out
[/s] WE ARE DISCUSSING SERIOUS MATTER HERE and you are looking for how to commit ADULTERY.... NONSENSE!!!
Re: My Landlord And I by Chydo63(m): 11:18am On Nov 17, 2019
Must have been a typo, I'm sure he meant March 2020
Bawizzo:
"I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019."

I don't understand you!!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by EmmyCC: 11:47am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
Ok, give me and ask me to pay you . So am first bank of Nigeria .
The Law court will do just that.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by frozen70(f): 4:13pm On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:
Good afternoon Nairalanders,

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Lest I forget, my landlord extorts a lot. That's his hobby.

If you have made up your mind to pack out, don't pay him keep telling him you are sourcing for the money, then seal your plan and pcsl out to his surprise

People like that needs Suprise acts since he is gullible with money
Re: My Landlord And I by amakadihot87(f): 5:02pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bawizzo:
march 2019?
Re: My Landlord And I by ceasare: 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2019
Where did u all get this notion that u don't have to pay rent during your quit notice period? Lagos tenancy law is 100 naira at Ikotun roundabout or better still Google is almost free....

https://www.naijalegaltalkng.com/article/land-and-properties-series/188-do-i-have-to-pay-rent-after-being-issued-a-quit-notice
Re: My Landlord And I by deedii: 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2019
The question always arises in many quarters, should a tenant pay rent even after being served a quit notice? Surprisingly, a lot of people have this wrong notion that a quit notice automatically means no more payment to the Landlord. The position of the law in Nigeria however requires a tenant to pay for even a day not covered by a subsisting rent. This is what is known in law as MESNE PROFIT. Mesne profit simply means the profit which a landlord can recover from a tenant whose tenancy has ended but who still resides in the property till the date he gives up possession.

There are two main scenarios to consider in order to determine if a tenant who is served a quit notice is expected to pay mesne profit or not.
The first scenario is when the quit notice is served while the rent paid by the tenant is still subsisting. So, let’s say Mr. Kekere is a yearly tenant who has paid his rent to cover January to December 2017 and the law states that a yearly tenant must be given 6 months quit notice. Mr. Wada, who is the landlord, in compliance with the law serves Mr. Kekere a quit notice from 1st of July to 31st December 2017. If Mr. Kekere vacates the property by 31st of December, he is not required to pay any money since his rent was still subsisting when he was served the quit notice.

The second scenario is when the quit notice is served after the expiration of the tenant’s rent. So let’s say this time around, Mr. Kekere was served a quit notice from 31st of December 2017 to 30th of June 2018,even though his rent expires that same December 2017.The period between January to June 2018 which is not covered by the 2017 rent and any other extended period as a result of a court proceeding to eject Mr. Kekere must be paid for by Mr. Kekere.It simply means, Mr. Wada can recover mesne profit from Mr. Kekere for any period he is still in possession after the expiration of the quit notice until he moves out.

The law will not allow a tenant stay in another person’s property for even a day without paying for it .The tenant is still obligated to pay even during period of court proceedings and during the period the court grants judgment ordering the tenant to vacate the property.

In reality however, it is very difficult for a landlord to recover mesne profit because in most cases the tenant would have vacated the premises to a location unknown to the landlord before the court delivers judgment or the landlord is more concerned with recovering his property from the tenant than recovering any mesne profit.

So, should a tenant pay a landlord for a period not covered by a subsisting rent even after being served a quit notice? The answer is a big YES!
ihedioramma:
Pay befor i teach you .
Re: My Landlord And I by OMOTOWO(m): 12:41am On Nov 20, 2019
To everyone who commented on this thread ,thank you so much.

I talked to the man on Sunday and he insisted he doesn't need to withdraw the notice .He said immeaditely I pay new rent ,the rent cancels the quit notice .
We talked at length for 36 minutes and I recorded all the conversation in my phone .

I am planning to give him new rent but I hope I can use the audio record as evidence because he said it so many times that I should pay and the payment will cancel the quit notice .

I have neighbours as witnesses to this conversation.

What do you feel ?
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 2:51am On Nov 20, 2019
OMOTOWO:
To everyone who commented on this thread ,thank you so much.

I talked to the man on Sunday and he insisted he doesn't need to withdraw the notice .He said immeaditely I pay new rent ,the rent cancels the quit notice .
We talked at length for 36 minutes and I recorded all the conversation in my phone .

I am planning to give him new rent but I hope I can use the audio record as evidence because he said it so many times that I should pay and the payment will cancel the quit notice .

I have neighbours as witnesses to this conversation.

What do you feel ?
In that way look for another hause . tell him you don't have money for now, try and pack out of that hause befor year end if you can . And if you want to pay dont pay more than the quit notice ending .
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 3:08am On Nov 20, 2019
[quote author=hedgesfun post=84102931]Since he claimed he can withdraw the letter, ask him to officially withdraw the quit notice first, then if u still want to stay in the house u can go ahead and pay the rent(only after he had officially withdrawn the quit notice o) then watch him and if need be plan to leave before your rent expire, if he doesn't withdraw it then don't pay a dine just use the period of quit notice to get another apartment. Simple. @OMOTOWO . Read this is all so good .He have to withdraw the quit notice (FIRST)with a letter from that his lawyer to you befor you pay any kobo .
Re: My Landlord And I by femilambor007(m): 4:11pm On Dec 18, 2019
Please, I want to verify this.

In a situation, a tenant needs to terminate its rent immediately due to relocation without notifying the landlord in 3months advance as the Law says and still have 5months rent left.

1. How many months refund is he due for from the Landlord or is he entitled to the full 5-month rent left.
2. ANy law backing the above answer.

Thanks in advance
Re: My Landlord And I by Opus85(m): 7:09pm On Dec 18, 2019
a pro-rata rent will be calculated from the day you handover keys to the date of expiration of the rent.

femilambor007:

In a situation, a tenant needs to terminate its rent immediately due to relocation without notifying the landlord in 3months advance as the Law says and still have 5months rent left.

1. How many months refund is he due for from the Landlord or is he entitled to the full 5-month rent left.

Thanks in advance
Re: My Landlord And I by femilambor007(m): 7:23pm On Dec 18, 2019
Opus85:
a pro-rata rent will be calculated from the day you handover keys to the date of expiration of the rent.

Can you explain better pls
Re: My Landlord And I by Opus85(m): 8:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
femilambor007:

Thanks in advance

If you terminate your tenancy without notisfying the landlord, most landlords might no refund you part of the rent.

If you want to terminate due to relocation, kindly write to him or his agent if any stating that you want to terminate the tenancy due to relocation and would want a refund of your outstanding rent.
When the letter is received, a pro rata rent will be calculated based on the day you handover the keys to apartment to landlord till the date of expiration of your rent after proper inspections have been carried out to determine repairs and accrued bills on the apartment.
If there are repairs or outstanding elextricity bills, they will be deducted from the pro rata rent . Also, if you paid refundable caution deposit, that would also be refunded to you after a calculations.

Note, landlord might not pay you at that moment. It is usually when another tenant pays for the apartment, then they will deduct the money from the new tenant rent and pay you. So dont expect it to be a fast track issue unless the landlord has money to spare.
Re: My Landlord And I by Thomas19(m): 10:31pm On Feb 13, 2020
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .
er u a lawyer?
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 3:46am On Feb 14, 2020
Thomas19:
er u a lawyer?
Why asking ?
Re: My Landlord And I by Thomas19(m): 10:32am On Feb 14, 2020
ihedioramma:
Why asking ?
you talk like one

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man's House Flooded After 9-Hour Rainfall In Yenagoa (Photos) / Roofing sheets: Cost Of Roofing With Stone Coated Tiles In Nigeria best type / Omo-Onile Signing Fees In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.