Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

My Landlord And I - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord And I (59855 Views)

My Landlord And His Dad Just Beat Up My Co-tenant / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord And I by Iamsammy(m): 11:21pm On Nov 16, 2019
OMOTOWO:
Good afternoon Nairalanders,

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

Lest I forget, my landlord extorts a lot. That's his hobby.
sorry bro, but u are not even suppose to pay for the six months notice, don't pay him pls, look for a new house and move out. The six months is ur right. U don't own him a dime
Re: My Landlord And I by CACjide: 11:21pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
Pay befor i teach you .
you want to teach what you don't know
Re: My Landlord And I by adeniyi65(m): 11:23pm On Nov 16, 2019
slimthugchimee2:
And it never bothered you to think, maybe that landlord is in nairaland
grin grin what if so? Landlord go just change formation and tactics.
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 11:26pm On Nov 16, 2019
CACjide:
you want to teach what you don't know
Give any one like me six months quit notice and ask him or her to pay you .
Re: My Landlord And I by colestephan86: 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .
You are misleading yourself and others
In tenancy law , the 6months or 3 month notice period isn't free?
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 11:30pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
Hello, if you are paying for one year befor the six months quit notice is free you dont need to pay . If you are paying for six months befor you have three months free because is quit notice you have to use the six months and look for another hause . If you like the hause call the landlord and his lawyer talk face to face, if they don't want you to pack out any more ask the lawyer to give you letter for that .

Guy where do you based? I guess is not Ogun State cause if you are giving such notice here, you will pay the 6 months before packing out. So you expect to lives in someone else house for free without paying him? Are you a Christian and do you go to church? Well, thank God there is Law and the law is very clear, The landlord has the right to issue a quit notice if he's not comfortable with his tenant anymore and when such notice is giving, the tenant need to search for another apartment before the expiration of the notice and before moving out, such tenatat has the duty of care to pay the rent of the month covered by the notice. So stop giving fake advice Bro. We are no longer in Stone Age.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by colestephan86: 11:31pm On Nov 16, 2019
OMOTOWO:

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am supposed to vacate the room and palour self contain by march 2019.

Today, my landlord called me and said why have I not come to make enquiry as to why I got the letter.

I told him I know the letter was from a genuine lawyer and I decided not bother in asking him why because I know why .

The reason is not far-fetched from the fact that I quarreled with him twice because of disconnected electricity supply for four days when I was not owing him. I actually fought with him for good two days. I dared him and his generation not to fix the light until I come back from office. The first I did, he didn't reconnect the light but he reconnected the second time .

The light was disconnected because some tenants who occupied other SCs didn't pay theirs. I actually told him to pay and disconnect others who have not paid because I am tired of this kind of monthly occurrence. Somebody like me pay very early. Then, he should have a way as a landlord of getting his money when he pays for everybody instead of every month disconnection.

To cut the story short, he said he has my type as son and there is no way such disagreement will not come to play. He said he didn't actually mean it that he was only threatening me. He said he asked for the letter to be written to me by his lawyer and then he has the right to withdraw the letter too. (I think he needs money and the man is thinking March ending is too long to get another rent for the SC)

He asked me when I am paying the rent. The rent is actually #140k but I told him I will try and credit him #100,000 first. When he dropped the call, I called my wife and explained what happened to her. She let me realize the man is trying to get the six month rent for the quit notice period of six months he gave us. She said we should not play into his hands. I actually remebered the man told me on phone that if I don't have the whole #140k now, I can pay half which is #70,000. This is where I discovered what my wife said might be true .

We are actually trying to leave the house before or by March ending as the notice read before this call.

I hope this man is not trying to play smart though I know we are to pay for the six months of the notice but I don't plan to give him until I am ready to pack.

Should I involve his lawyer because his contacts are written in the letter he gave me ?

Is my landlord real ? Is he trying to play smart to get money for the notice period early? Should I credit him the #100,000? What if he returns #30,000 and claim I only pay for the notice and he keeps dragging issue with me that the notice still hold? I can't afford to loose my #70,000 just like that because the money is for the new accommodation I am looking forward to get? Can I ask him to withdraw the letter first (may be in his wife and my wife presence )?

My advice to you so that , since he said he was threatening u with the quit notice and that you shouldn't take it seriously, ask him to tell his lawyer to write u a letter of cancellation of the notice and I advice u to file it, cos if u don't do that , the notice to quit is standing o whether na joke or play.
Then you can pay the half if you can afford it.
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 11:31pm On Nov 16, 2019
colestephan86:
You are misleading yourself and others In tenancy law , the 6months or 3 month notice period isn't free?
Free .
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 11:38pm On Nov 16, 2019
Iamsammy:
sorry bro, but u are not even suppose to pay for the six months notice, don't pay him pls, look for a new house and move out. The six months is ur right. U don't own him a dime

Says who? He will pay and must pay. When you are giving a quit notice, it's only as a notice of the intent from the landlord towards you to vacate from his house at a particular period of time, but that's doesn't means you will lives in his house for free, who does that?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 11:41pm On Nov 16, 2019
Levels1:

Guy where do you based? I guess is not Ogun State cause if you are giving such notice here, you will pay the 6 months before packing out. So you expect to lives in someone else house for free without paying him? Are you a Christian and do you go to church? Well, thank God there is Law and the law is very clear, The landlord has the right to issue a quit notice if he's not comfortable with his tenant anymore and when such notice is giving, the tenant need to search for another apartment before the expiration of the notice and before moving out, such tenatat has the duty of care to pay the rent of the month covered by the notice. So stop giving fake advice Bro. We are no longer in Stone Age.
As a christian you are, how can you gave som one quit notice and ask him to pay you is he/she first bank ?
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 11:47pm On Nov 16, 2019
ihedioramma:
As a christian you are, how can you gave som one quit notice and ask him to pay you is he/she first bank ?

How old are you? Maybe you should ask an elderly one's cause I guess you certainly don't know what you are saying. Quit notice doesn't mean you are to stay for that particular months for free, but for you to know you are no longer needed in such house and a need to search for alternatives before the end of the notice and you are to pay for the said period before you can be allowed to move your loads.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by CanadaOrBust: 11:49pm On Nov 16, 2019
Jamesline007:
Bro, usually bah, that 6months is given within your tenancy, so that at the end of the tenancy,
you just pack your load and leave without any renewal. But if at the end of 6months which will automatically coincide with the end of your tenancy, the landlord backed by the court can throw you out. But if the court decided to have have mercy on you, few months can be given to enable you look for another apartment, but trust me, you will pay! It's called Mesne Profit.

The other guy said Mense, u say mesne. Which one is it?
Re: My Landlord And I by ihedioramma: 11:59pm On Nov 16, 2019
Levels1:

How old are you? Maybe you should ask an elderly one's cause I guess you certainly don't know what you are saying. Quit notice doesn't mean you are to stay for that particular months for free, but for you to know you are no longer needed in such house and a need to search for alternatives before the end of the notice and you are to pay for the said period before you can be allowed to move your loads.
Am five years old .
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 11:59pm On Nov 16, 2019
Sweeetheart:
facing the same

he gave me quit notice of 3months last month even when my house will be due ending of this month

he refuse giving me light despite not owing him since same last month just because of a trivial issue

though have already told him what he gave was a mere paperwork because the foool assent on it himself. has an ex NEPA staff but never pay NEPA bill since I entered that house. na he's threatening me with court, I told him to be quick with the court proceeding, someone wey never see food chop won go court

I dey wait for him till January 2020. how can you give a quit notice while house rent is still reading

You are funny Bro. Your landlord is a learned fellow i guess?

He is smart and intelligent to have given you quit notice while your rent is still running. He is only notifying you so as for you not to plan spending a day extra from your balance and if it's in ogun State, you will regret it if you refuse to pack out at the end of your payments cause he has given you enough period of time to sort for alternatives.
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 12:10am On Nov 17, 2019
davillian:
After your rent expires use your additional 6 month complete
If you want to show him pepper after 6month still stay in the house tell him you haven't seen a house and ask him to take you to court so you can enjoy additional 3 months or 6 months depending on how long the case takes....or the judgement....

I guess you are a comedian?
In case you don't know, or maybe where you are living is a rural area if not, if you are giving a quit notice before you pack out from the house , you are going to pay all the months that the notification covers. Unless your landlord is a novice and even at that, he will have someone to enlighten him and you stand a chance of lossing all your property with the help of the law, I. E Court.
Re: My Landlord And I by Iamsammy(m): 12:16am On Nov 17, 2019
Levels1:

Says who? He will pay and must pay. When you are giving a quit notice, it's only as a notice of the intent from the landlord towards you to vacate from his house at a particular period of time, but that's doesn't means you will lives in his house for free, who does that?
bros abeg forget, I don't know which part of the country u dey stay but here in Lagos under tenament law that's how it works.go ask ur lawyer abeg. Under the act, u don't av to pay for Nepa nor lawma or any charges. Go ask ur lawyer to put u through pls
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 12:20am On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=Iamsammy post=84096310]bros abeg forget, I don't know which part of the country u dey stay but here in Lagos under tenament law that's how it works.go ask ur lawyer abeg. Under the act, u don't av to pay for Nepa nor lawma or any charges. Go ask ur lawyer to put u

Bros, ignorance is not an excuse. And know one is a monopoly of knowledge. What you don't know is what you are been told today and I expect you to do your findings rather than arguing. I am talking with experience and fact. And for benefits of doubt, maybe you should come to Ogun State and try such act. Thanks dearly
Re: My Landlord And I by fkj950ax(m): 12:20am On Nov 17, 2019
OMOTOWO:

I got a quit notice in September (my rent expired 31-10-2019) and I am suppo )?

If it's not from a legal POV. Dont heed the suggestion.

The law states that a yearly tenant must be given six months notice.
If your rent expires in October, and you got a notice in September, you weren't properly served.
If you are trying to leave the house, then do so.
There is nothing like free rent because you got a quit notice. The law has something called mesne profits. It helps landlords recover rent from tenants who vacate properties and didn't pay for any period used.
It's either you move out or pay the yearly rent and have the notice properly served in April.
All the reason alluded for your quit notice is not important in the eyes of the law. A landlord can ask you to vacate the house because he wants to burn it down. His property. His business. But he must give you adequate notice.
Since a notice has come in September, calculate the rent due for the period of notice, keep it aside. Use the period to secure a new apartment. Pay only for the months you use from the money kept aside.
You can get a house in 2 months. Pay for 2. If 4 months, pay for 4.

Forget the withdraw notice idea.
Dont pay for one full year.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 12:25am On Nov 17, 2019
tutoh:
Bros! I have had almost same experience with Lagos Landlord. Please, don't fall for his trick. If you pay your rent annually, the 6 months notice is not to be paid for but for you to prepare your self and quit.

Lagos landlord are tricksters

Stop misleading him. You are to pay for quit notice. You are to pay for staying in someone else's properties, the notice is just for you to move out at the end of the period and before you can be allowed to pack, certainly you must pay all your bills.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 12:33am On Nov 17, 2019
masterpix:
first you need to know that once you are given 6 months notice you don't pay any dime during the NOTICE period as yearly tenants by law. Your landlord wants to play smart on you because you don't know the tenancy law.

Mr monopoly of knowledge.
Mr lecturer
The Law of our Time

Am sorry for correcting your ignorance, Biko no vex.

You first have to understand the word Quit notice ,before you can comment.

Quit notice is just a letter that indicate the landlord expression towards his or her tenatat, notifying him to pack out from his house at a particular period, and at the end of such period, the tenant has duty of care to pay all the KOBO he is owning before he can be allowed to move is properties.

Kindly stop misleading people

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by Iamsammy(m): 12:34am On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=Levels1 post=84096335][/quote]i don't av to argue with u bro, but this is my fourth rented apartment in Lagos, that's y I said Lagos tenament act, I Neva said Ogun. So carry ur over sabi go front abeg
Re: My Landlord And I by Levels1(m): 12:45am On Nov 17, 2019
Iamsammy:
i don't av to argue with u bro, but this is my fourth rented apartment in Lagos, that's y I said Lagos tenament act, I Neva said Ogun. So carry ur over sabi go front abeg

Knowledge is power.
Up to you to adhere
But till you become a victim, maybe you will remember my words. Good luck.
Re: My Landlord And I by MzTunechi(f): 12:57am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:
you're wrong. He has to pay for the six months regardless. The quit notice is just to give him ample of time to search for a new apartment.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by MzTunechi(f): 1:00am On Nov 17, 2019
NoToPile:
Looolz people feel the duration of the quit notice is supposed to be free.

At least the OP knows he should pay.

Do what suits you, if he wants to withdraw the notice let his lawyer write you simple.
don't mind them. See them shouting it's free, hence misleading the public.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by MzTunechi(f): 1:02am On Nov 17, 2019
masterpix:
first you need to know that once you are given 6 months notice you don't pay any dime during the NOTICE period as yearly tenants by law. Your landlord wants to play smart on you because you don't know the tenancy law.
Stop misleading people. He is to pay for the Notice period be it six or three months

1 Like

Re: My Landlord And I by deavicky(m): 1:17am On Nov 17, 2019
If u really like to remain in the house pay the rent, but he will need to write u another letter from the same lawyer to counter the first one.
Re: My Landlord And I by deavicky(m): 1:18am On Nov 17, 2019
MzTunechi:
Stop misleading people. He is to pay for the Notice period be it six or three months
i don't think this correct.
Re: My Landlord And I by mrchineke: 1:55am On Nov 17, 2019
oddessey007:

No sir, You are under no obligation to pay for the period.

Please ask your lawyer immediately. Don't be wilfully ignorant. Refusal to pay your rent is in legal terms the same as stealing from your landlord. Check it out mate.
Re: My Landlord And I by mrchineke: 2:02am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:

Igbo man.

That's why nobody goes to una land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord And I by YorubaPrince: 2:08am On Nov 17, 2019
ihedioramma:

Okoro mentality! Dem go deport you go ur savage jungle soon, Olofo! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man's House Flooded After 9-Hour Rainfall In Yenagoa (Photos) / Roofing sheets: Cost Of Roofing With Stone Coated Tiles In Nigeria best type / Omo-Onile Signing Fees In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.