Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,373 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. (707 Views)

Slavery- Nigerians Assigning Foreign Names To Their Children / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2019
Why is it that the average Nigerian parents would prefer to name their children with names from foreign country's, names like John, Ibrahim, Natasha, etc. These names have nothing to do with us, and these people who we name our children after their culture see us as a joke, it not possible to see an Israeli name their child olawale or Arabian parents name their children Amaka, Chukwuka etc. Naming your child Jesus or Muhammad does not guarantee he will make it to heaven, we should go back to our own origins and be proud of our culture, our culture is who we are and we've lost our selves by adapting foreigners culture. We've allowed ourselves to be devided by religion, people from the same tribe would rather kill each other over differences in religious beliefs.

We are African!! we should be proud of who we are, our food, cultures etc

If foreigners do not take their cultures seriously, we would not adapt it as our own. Let us respect ourselves please.

The grass is greener when you water the ground.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2019
Everybody is trying to escape Nigeria by all means possible. hunger and poverty..

So they are preparing their kids ahead.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2019
BLUELemon:
Everybody is trying to escape Nigeria by all means possible. hunger and poverty..

So they are preparing their kids ahead.

So we are turning a blind eye to our dying culture and country and running away?

I think that is why foreigners see us as a joke.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by omoiyamayor(m): 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2019
I say why nigerians like religious name but my answer will be =its a free world
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 16, 2019
phlegmatic007:

So we are turning a blind eye to our dying culture and country and running away?

I think that is why foreigners see us as a joke.
you mean a small joke or a big joke
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by nlPoster: 4:54pm On Nov 16, 2019
Your moniker is not a foreign name?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nickisindigo(m): 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2019
lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 1:49am On Nov 17, 2019
Nah so my dad named me Henry

I swear none of my children will bear any foreign name or any fucking biblical name

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by nlPoster: 1:59am On Nov 17, 2019
Herrymax:

I swear none of my children will bear any foreign name or any fucking biblical name

The cursing is because someone asked you to give your child a bible name?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by nlPoster: 1:59am On Nov 17, 2019
@ op

Just let it go please, why do you people get so upset at other folks matter?

Jeez.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 17, 2019
nlPoster:

The cursing is because someone asked you to give your child a bible name?
Why will i give my child a Bible name
Can the Israelite ever give their children our own name
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by nlPoster: 11:51am On Nov 17, 2019
Herrymax:

Why will i give my child a Bible name
Can the Israelite ever give their children our own name

Did somebody ask you to give your child a bible name and even if they did, are they forcing you?

What are you trying to prove to anonymous strangers on nairaland?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Give Their Children Foreign Names. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
nlPoster:

Did somebody ask you to give your child a bible name and even if they did, are they forcing you?

What are you trying to prove to anonymous strangers on nairaland?
Mr Man, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone here
Just saying my own and that's what i want, period.

(1) (Reply)

If Africans Are Dumb Why Did Europe Steal Their Artefacts? / Please Is This True About This Tribe? / I Have A Question For You All.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.