Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Paying Tithes... Wrong Or Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying Tithes... Wrong Or Right? (202 Views)

Daddy Freeze: 'I Was Still Paying Tithes While I Was Preaching Against It' / "Winners Chapel Would Soon Be Paying Tithes Of Trillions" - Bishop Oyedepo / "If Paying Tithes Makes You Rich, Bill Gates, Zuckerberg Would've Been Poor" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Paying Tithes... Wrong Or Right? by don4real18(m): 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2019
In recent times, churches are being criticized by a few for tithe collection with claims that it isn't meant to be a part of Christianity. This has led to a semi-religious war between those who believe in it and those who don't.

Today, I will love to take you on a journey of what tithe is and if it should be paid or not. I will be let this be as interactive as possible.

Excuse me, handsome man, what is tithe?
Well, thank you for noticing my handsome features. wink A simple definition of tithe is a tenth of one's income or profit.

How did tithing begin?
If you feel tithing began with Abraham, you are right.
. Lol! I am just kidding grin . You are wrong... I'm serious, you are absolutely wrong. Tithing was a norm in the ancient world - it wasn't particular to a tribe or nation as in the case of Israel.
So, no one knows how it actually began but there are documents to show that it was practiced long before Abraham came to being. The Bible should not be mistaken as the whole of man's history.

Okay. So, how should tithe be used?
Before you can know how tithe should be used, it is important to know that there are two different tithes.
The first is used to take care of the Levite priests because their inheritance is of the lord. This is to say that they were not allowed to own lands or any other earthly possessions even if the possession can take you through the air privately.
The second tithe is a distinct tithing obligation of 10% of the produce after terumah and its meant to be feasted with in a place chosen by God. Not a beer palour or Nightclub grin

Why is/was tithing practiced?
Like, I said. The first tithe is used to take care of the Levites who were serving. Yes, serving. Now, according to 1 Chronicles 23–24, the Priests were divided up into 24 divisions, with each division serving about two weeks out of each year. Now, can you guess what they were doing for the rest of the year? They provided for their own needs and that of their families. grin No one sat reading a scroll of scripture awaiting other people to come and feed them. grin
The second tithe which is meant to be feasted with is practiced so that you and everyone else will learn to fear your lord thy God.

Wait! Who are the Levites?
I just explained that to you. They are a tribe of Israel who are meant to oversee the religious functions.

Okay... Why were the Levites chosen?
Originally, when God spared the firstborn of the Jews during the Firstborn deaths in Egypt, He “acquired” them and designated them to be his priests but this designation was later transferred to the Levites when they remained the only tribe who refused to worship the golden calf at Mount Sinai. Numbers 8:16–18

Can anyone be Levites through the spirit?
No, you or anyone else can't become a Levite through the spirit. I wouldn't mind being an American if it becomes possible in the future.

Then what tribe are my pastors?
Well, that depends on their Nationality. Texans are from America, Yoruba from Nigeria etc You should know this already.

So, are my pastors supposed to collect tithes?
No, they are not supposed to collect tithes. According to 1 Peter 2:5-9, all believers are now priests. We are a kingdom of priests, which Jesus as the only High Priest (cf. Hebrews cool. There is no priestly class which can depend on the non-priestly class to provide for their daily needs. So the church or a pastor cannot look to the Levitical Priesthood for support of the practice of pastoral salaries or demand tithes from you.

So, tithes are wrong, right?
Let us put in like this... 2 Corinthians 9:7 effectively bars tithing for the New Testament Church of God since it plainly states that Christians should not give (and the whole context is of financial giving) "under compulsion."
So, since tithing is based on compulsory giving, then it is wrong.

Wow, thank you so much.
You are welcome.

One last question. How do I contact you?
You can reach me on wb.smartwork@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Or Prophet Mohammed? / Nowhere In The Bible That Says Plastic Surgery Is Wrong – Pastor Tony Rapu / Praying About The Unknown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.