Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? (1674 Views)

Engine replacement at Ladipo! What should I be wary about? / 2020 Honda Civic Type R Revealed;offers New Features / 2018 Volvo XC40 Unveiled As A Small Premium SUV - Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 8:05am On Nov 18, 2019
Volvo type R is the performance segment of the Volvo cars just the same way Mercedes has AMG and BMW has M3/5. What I want to know is if it’s okay to get something like a 2007 S60R for use in a country like Nigeria or its better to stick with maybe a 2.5T

On Edmunds, a consumer review warned about the expensive Brembo brakes and the turbocharger

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

Other demeanors and hot rods

Ps; I’m coming from an Ecosport right now (soulless piece of cow poopoo) cool

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 8:53am On Nov 18, 2019
RZArecta2:
Volvo type R is the performance segment of the Volvo cars just the same way Mercedes has AMG and BMW has M3/5. What I want to know is if it’s okay to get something like a 2007 S60R for use in a country like Nigeria or its better to stick with maybe a 2.5T

On Edmunds, a consumer review warned about the expensive Brembo brakes and the turbocharger

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

Life's too short Man. If you can afford it and if your major travel routes can support the ride height then go for it.

I would buy something like this without batting an eye lid but my roads don't support it. I have to go through two rivers to get to my house.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by AshipaEk0: 9:23am On Nov 18, 2019
If you are a 20W50/mineral oil/1 oil change in 15 months type of person just stay away.

Cos that's what kills the Turbo quickly.

As far as I know, nothing says you absolutely positively must use only Brembo brakes.

I echo what the previous poster said about roads/ride height.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by idu1(m): 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Life's too short Man. If you can afford it and if your major travel routes can support the ride height then go for it.

I would buy something like this without batting an eye lid but my roads don't support it. I have to go through two rivers to get to my house.

Are you the egunmogaji?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2019
idu1:

Are you the egunmogaji?

It is I.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by idu1(m): 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Are you the first egunmogaji?
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2019
idu1:

Are you the first egunmogaji?

It is I, EgunMogaji oko Afusat, olobe didun.

Except now I’m living in Nigeria, much to the chagrin of some oil monkey on here, enjoying the good life grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by nurey(m): 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2019
RZArecta2:

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

If you like get a Volvo type Z you will still get whooped by an infiniti or Acura type S, so better port to the winning team grin

3 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by BamBamK: 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2019
remember, CYBER PEACE!!!

nurey:

If you like get a Volvo type Z you will still get whooped by an infiniti or Acura type S, so better port to the winning team grin
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2019
BamBamK:
remember, CYBER PEACE!!!

grin grin left him for me, it’s Nigerian bad roads that has made the lizard think he’s an alligator CHAI !! A whole Schumacher like me

3 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2019
nurey:

abuja/kaduna road on my mind o cool

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by nurey(m): 4:32pm On Nov 18, 2019
RZArecta2:
abuja/kaduna road on my mind o cool

I sell life insurance policy grin

6 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by idu1(m): 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Except now I’m living in Nigeria, much to the chagrin of some oil monkey on here, enjoying the good life grin

You are welcome home sir

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by afoife: 4:52pm On Nov 18, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Baaaaaaaaaaba oooooo. O ti oju iya so omo aje niko. I really want to meet you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2019
idu1:

You are welcome home sir

Thank you Sir. I should have done this move years ago but God’s time is the best.
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 5:13pm On Nov 18, 2019
afoife:

Baaaaaaaaaaba oooooo. O ti oju iya so omo aje niko. I really want to meet you sir.

It’ll be my pleasure.

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 8:25pm On Nov 18, 2019
nurey:

I sell life insurance policy grin
i don’t want to understand you sah undecided
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by nurey(m): 8:31pm On Nov 18, 2019
RZArecta2:
i don’t want to understand you sah undecided

shebi you want to do 007 @ 320km/h, just insurance policy nah. The R is a good car, the Engine was tweaked and some extreme leg part. you may battle with sensor failure if you transverse water much.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 10:14pm On Nov 18, 2019
nurey:

shebi you want to do 007 @ 320km/h, just insurance policy nah. The R is a good car, the Engine was tweaked and some extreme leg part. you may battle with sensor failure if you transverse water much.
i don’t really have much business with water though, I saw one I liked but I’m scared mechanics will mess it up even on routine maintenance except I take it to a high end workshop or there won’t be parts in case I have to do repairs. I really want to risk it though
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by nurey(m): 10:30pm On Nov 18, 2019
RZArecta2:
i don’t really have much business with water though, I saw one I liked but I’m scared mechanics will mess it up even on routine maintenance except I take it to a high end workshop or there won’t be parts in case I have to do repairs. I really want to risk it though

The Engine is the same 2.4L i5 turbo, I am guessing the tweak is from the turbo and ECU, it's around 50hp more than the regular ones.

from my research the shocks and springs are identical to that of the 02 Acura TL type S but even better, it actually performs like an air shocks but for the Volvo it moves with change in road surface depending on what drive type you select, so am thinking the sensor would have it's work cut out for it when it transverse the nonsense we call road.

if you decide to ship one in, try to make provision for extra brake pads brembo shyte (though may not be necessary cause I doubt if you will exhaust the speedo and need emergency brakes) and the shocks because they are a special unit and the ones coming with the vehicle may give way in a not too distant time.

happy hunting
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:43am On Nov 19, 2019
RZArecta2:

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

its VOLVO R not Volvo type R

Type R is marque for Honda

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by afangsoup: 6:54am On Nov 19, 2019
RZArecta2:

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

Go for it if you are the one to do the wrenching and also buying parts from abroad.
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by valarinz: 7:33am On Nov 19, 2019
RZArecta2:

Cc Valarinz
Egunmogaji2
Radautoworks
Trygo

It's a good ride, some "special" parts might be hard to source locally though, so if you have the muscle for import, fine.

Know someone who's looked for the clutch release bearing for months all the way from Abuja to Lagos and found none, vehicle was subsequently parked. Hope you know they're mostly manual tranny too, I've never seen auto tranny on those, maybe very few

2 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by radautoworks: 8:49am On Nov 19, 2019
valarinz:

It's a good ride, some "special" parts might be hard to source locally though, so if you have the muscle for import, fine.

Know someone who's looked for the clutch release bearing for months all the way from Abuja to Lagos and found none, vehicle was subsequently parked. Hope you know they're mostly manual tranny too, I've never seen auto tranny on those, maybe very few

Parts are available for them

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQC&partNumber=MU72393-1 N295,486

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by RZArecta2(m): 11:16am On Nov 19, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

the roads around my area aren’t that bad and if I have to leave the island on a long journey , I prefer using the brt since Lagos traffic is devilishly annoying. I know parts don’t go bust anyhow in cars but common sense is telling me to downgrade to a 2.5t instead. Let me see how it goes though since they both have the same purchase prices on carfax
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by EgunMogaji2: 11:41am On Nov 19, 2019
RZArecta2:
the roads around my area aren’t that bad and if I have to leave the island on a long journey , I prefer using the brt since Lagos traffic is devilishly annoying. I know parts don’t go bust anyhow in cars but common sense is telling me to downgrade to a 2.5t instead. Let me see how it goes though since they both have the same purchase prices on carfax

1) Don’t do this to yourself. Treat yourself to what you actually like. No one will reward you but yourself.

2) Volvo’s are very safe vehicles but not the most hardy. So if you’re going to deal with issues then do it on the exclusive R. If not then just buy one of the tampon cars line Camry or Accord.

Good luck.

PS: regarding brembos, the expensive parts are the hubs and calipers. The pads and discs are not that much more than high grade normal stuff. You’re talking about a car that’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing here.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by valarinz: 2:05pm On Nov 19, 2019
radautoworks:

Parts are available for them

http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQC&partNumber=MU72393-1 N295,486

That's great then, OP over to you cool
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by AshipaEk0: 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
Help me understand one thing @op

Are you saying that it's ONLY BREMBO brakes, calipers etc. that the vehicle MUST use?

Because I don't understand the constant reference to Brembo

Did you check Advancedautoparts or any other car spares site, and all you can find for that particular Volvo is Brembo?
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by radautoworks: 3:53pm On Nov 19, 2019
AshipaEk0:

Are you saying that it's ONLY BREMBO brakes, calipers etc. that the vehicle MUST use?

Did you check Advancedautoparts or any other car spares site, and all you can find for that particular Volvo is Brembo?

That's us. I posted all the matches in our database previously. It's not the only match. Just recommended.
Re: Should I Be Wary About The Volvo Type R ? by nurey(m): 9:22pm On Nov 19, 2019
AshipaEk0:

if you don't use the recommended the stopping distance would increase.

(1) (Reply)

Choice Of Car Delimma / Is This Electronic Vehicle Registration A Scam / Fatal Accident Along New Festac Bridge Road (*** Graphic photos***)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.