Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,796 members, 7,956,038 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:06 PM

Love Beyond Measures - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love Beyond Measures (1009 Views)

Love Beyond Cause / Class Disciplinary Measures (contd) With Abigail Adetokunbo / Disciplinary Measures: To Cane Or Not To Cane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2019
EPISODE 1

Ikemefuna sat on the couch in his living room, arms folded on his chest, eyes clouded with anger, lips stretched thin, and watched the hand of the clock move towards 9pm for the umpteenth time. He was fuming with anger but anyone looking at him would just see a handsome, well-built man, watching TV, with an impatient stretch to his lips. On closer inspection though, the anger in his eyes could not be missed.

He stared at the game showing on the TV. His favorite English club, Arsenal were playing against their arch nemesis, Chelsea and it seems Chelsea is going to get the glory once more. He watched the screen, at the same time listening for when the door will open to admit Ugochi, his girlfriend, whom he had been waiting for impatiently for the past two hours.

Why is this woman late? What does she take me for? How can she leave me here and go about frolicking with every Dick and Harry in the city? She’ll have a lot of explaining to do when she gets back here. These were the thoughts flowing through his mind as he sat, alternately watching the clock and the screen, grinding his teeth in an obvious sign of frustration.

Meanwhile, Ugochi was having a great time with her girlfriends at the birthday party of one of the gang. She laughed at something Dawn, the birthday girl said and gave Ijeoma a wink. The three girls have been rolling together since they were at the University, they were popularly known as the three musketeers back then. Now, all of them are settled into their respective careers but they still find time to get together once in a while.

It was Dawn’s birthday and they had opted for a quiet dinner together at the birthday girl’s favorite restaurant instead of the usual all-out party she throws every year. It had taken a lot of convincing on the part of Ugochi and Ijeoma before Dawn agreed to have a small party with just the girls. She was enjoying herself although she would never admit it to her friends. Turning twenty-five should be a lot of fun.

The women have a lot in common. Apart from been the same ages, they also graduated from the same department in the University. They all studied Microbiology, and each of them had their view of the course and how they want to use it to make the world a better place. Ugochi had opted for Food Microbiology and presently works with Fan Ice in Ibadan. Ijeoma, fondly called Ijay by her friends, had bent towards health presently working as a laboratory scientist at the University College Hospital, Ibadan. Dawn had decided on pursuing the beauty angle and currently owns a beauty spa in New Bodija, Ibadan.

Ugochi is the only one in a serious relationship of the three of them. She had been with Ikem for the past three years. Dawn prefers to play the field, she had like a dozen guys at her disposal, which is not surprising as she’s the most beautiful of them. Ijeoma, on the other hand, is on a break in between relationships; her last run hadn’t been so enjoyable.

“Guys, remember that time we all failed Professor Odi’s class? He insisted we wait after everyone had gone home for the holidays, study for a week and rewrite the test. I couldn’t believe it when he said it.” Ijay reminisced

“Yeah, yeah. It was the worst week of my life.” Dawn muttered

“You were just pissed because all your boyfriends were not available.” Ijay teased

“Yeah, well what’s a girl to do when all her useful guys were not available.” She grumbled

“At least you still had Dave. The guy was so in love with you, he didn’t mind staying back for a whole week even when you didn’t acknowledge his existence.” Ugochi chipped in.

Dawn covered her face with her hands. “Oh please don’t remind me of that guy.”

Ijay laughed. “But Dawn, you were so hard on the guy.”

“I just couldn’t see myself with him. He was so needy, you know. I could never be with a guy like that.”

“Yeah. We all know you like them tough.” Ugochi teased.

She laughed. “You got that right, baby.”

Ugochi checked her wristwatch, noted the time. “Girls, I’m sorry to break this up but I really must get going.”

“Hmmm, we understand girl. That hunk of yours must be waiting for you.” Dawn winked. “Lucky girl.” She sighed

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-1/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 8:06am On Nov 20, 2019
EPISODE 2

Ugochi drove into her compound at exactly 10:30pm. She parked the car at the slot in front of her apartment, got out and locked the car.

She tried her door, found it locked and unlocked it with her keys. Ikem is probably asleep, she thought. He would have locked the door when he was going to bed; she didn’t think it was likely though. He rarely slept before she got home.

She went in, and saw him seated in front of the TV. He didn’t turn around, or acknowledge her entrance in any way. Ugochi skirted the small dining table with just two chairs, and narrowly avoided stumbling over a pair of shoes as she walked up to him.

“Hi dearie. You’ve been waiting for long?” she asked as she sat beside him. She saw he was playing with the DSTV remote in his hands.

He dropped the remote as he turned to her, and she was momentarily taken aback by the cold look in his eyes. “Where the heck have you been?” he demanded coldly.

She drew back, alarmed by the anger she felt emanating from him. “I told you I was going to have dinner with the girls now. Today is Dawn’s birthday.”

“I told you I was going to have dinner with the girls now.” He mimicked. “You were having dinner with the girls till this time? And you expect me to believe that?”

‘Why not? It is the truth.”

He stood up suddenly and leaned above her. “Don’t give me that bullshit. Who were you with tonight? You think I’m a fool? You think I don’t see what is going on here?”

Ugochi stood up too, alarmed. “What is wrong with you, Ikem? Please don’t start your crap with me tonight.” She made as if to move away.

“Crap? Did you say crap? Are you talking to me like that?” he grabbed her arm, swung her back, and before she could adjust her stance, gave her a resounding slap. The force of the slap knocked her back on her seat.

She sat there staring at him with a palm pressed to her stinging cheeks, too stunned to do anything other than stare, tears streaming down her face. He stood over her, still vibrating with anger.

“Ikem, did you just slap me?” Ugochi asked incredulously

“Yes, I did. And if you provoke me further, I’ll serve you the second round.”

She stood up, her palm still pressed to her cheek, staring at him, dumbfounded. “What has come over you? Where is all this coming from, Ikem?”

“Don’t ask me stupid questions. I am the one with the questions here. Which guy did you go out with this evening?”

“I don’t have to stand here and take this from you. Excuse me.” she sniffled as she walked past him.

He wanted to grab her again, but he refrained from doing so, and watched her go while a myriad of feelings passed over his face. The final one that settled in was guilt. He didn’t know what just came over him. He usually does not react with such anger, but this time around, he just couldn’t stop himself from hitting her.

The anger had started to build in him when his friend, Donald, called him this evening to tell him he spotted Ugochi in a small café with a man. Donald said they had looked very cozy together, and he just wanted to inform her as the good friend he was. Ikem didn’t believe that for a moment, he knew why Donald called, it was to rub it in his face, to throw his absolute faith in Ugochi back in his face. He had constantly bragged about how faithful Ugochi was, now for her to throw this in his face? It was intolerable.

He took a minute to think of the many years they’ve been together and how in all those years he had never had a reason to doubt her. He thought of the look of hurt on her face as she walked out on him, and how much he loved her. Could he be wrong here? Is it possible what Donald saw was entirely innocent, or could Donald have been lying? What reason would he have for lying? All these thoughts streaked across his mind as he paced around the living room. Did I just make the biggest mistake of my life?

Ugochi lay on the bed as silent tears trickled down her face. What just happened here? It was as if I was talking to another man entirely. What could have prompted this sort of behavior from Ikem? I can’t believe he actually struck me. She thought miserably.

In the two years they’ve been together, Ugochi had never had a reason to complain about Ikem. Sure, they had their differences like every couple but it had been nothing that couldn’t be resolved quickly and easily. Their relationship had been good, and as comfortable as an old pair of pajamas.

Six months ago, when Ikem asked her to move in with him, she hadn’t hesitated. She had been happy he suggested it as it had been on her mind for a while, but she hadn’t brought it up. She had not had any reason to doubt or question his feelings for her, until now. Now, she couldn’t believe he could raise his hand to strike her. It feels like a dream she would wake up from very soon. This couldn’t be happening, could it?

But it had happened. It is a fact and the action can never be reversed. She will forever have it in mind that Ikem hit her, she could never forget it in a million years; and the love between them is forever tainted as a result of tonight’s happenings.

She couldn’t fathom the reason behind his aberrant behavior tonight. He had never raised his hands to her before. Sometimes, when he was angry enough to hit her, he had walked away rather than go ahead with it. Recently though, he had been exhibiting some rather strange behavior, she had been baffled by the subtle change in him.

She fluffed her pillow as fresh tears fell down her face. Her heart was breaking into a million pieces. She couldn’t believe that Ikem, her prince in shining armor, her tall, dark, and handsome lover would raise his hands to her. It still is unbelievable.

She stiffened as she heard the turn of the doorknob. Ikem came in quietly and stood by the door for a few moments observing her. There was a look of chagrin on his face.

“Ugochi…” he whispered reverently.

Ugochi turned to face the wall. She did not want to hear any excuse or see that tortured look on his face. She needed him to suffer a little bit more.

“Ugochi,” he said again, this time a little more firm

FULL STORY HERE: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-2/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 12:47pm On Nov 20, 2019
EPISODE 3

The next day Ugochi received a call from Frederick.

“Hi.”

“Hello dear,” he answered. “I just received a very distressing call from Ijay some minutes ago. She said it seemed your man saw us together the other day.”

“Yes, I think he did. It’s not confirmed yet but he’s been acting very strange. I think that could be the reason for his behavior, although he hasn’t asked me directly.”

“Ugochi, don’t you think it’s time we come clean? I mean, we are not helping anybody by being secretive. I think it is better we call Ikem and tell him about this. At least now that he seems to be suspecting you.”

“Do you think he’s ready to hear this yet? Personally, I don’t think he’s ready for a revelation of this magnitude. After all, I know him better than you do.”

“I know we agreed to take our time and break it to him gently but I don’t think we can go through that same route now that he is suspecting you. I believe it is better we come clean and just get it over with.”

“I understand you. Can you give me time to sort this out my own way? At least allow me determine what he knows first. This might not even be about us, you know?”

“Okay then. Let’s know what he knows first. Then we can make our decisions based on that.”

“Good. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Yeah, later. Bye dear.”

ALSO READ: THE SAN (I'm Poor as a Church Rat) End

By the time Ikem got home, he was boiling with anger. His stomach felt tight with tension and his chest felt like it was going to burst from holding in his temper. After that ridiculous lunch meeting with Donald, he had not been able to hold back the anger churning in him. The nerve of Ugochi. A woman he had loved for three years, and for her to treat him this way? It was disrespectful, it was disheartening, and above all, it pissed him off.

He slammed into the house only to find Ugochi seated calmly on the settee in the living room watching a movie. She was sprawled on the settee, a bowl of nuts beside her and a chilled glass of wine on the stool where her hand can easily pick it up.

Ikem stood behind her for a minute, breathing in and out, trying to calm himself and probably find a way to ice down the hot pool of anger in his belly. He was not succeeding though. The sight of her seated there, seemingly without a care in the world just annoyed him the more. He couldn’t fathom how she would throw away three years of a loving relationship just like that. And she didn’t even have the decency to tell him it was over? Instead, she was sneaking around, going behind his back and seeing different men. He decided to confront her once and for all.

Ugochi looked up when she saw Ikem, and smiled. “Oh hi baby. I didn’t hear you come in, I was so engrossed in this movie,” she sat up. “Have you been here long?”

“No, I just came in.” he wanted so much to slap that smug look off her face.

“Okay, welcome. How was work today?”

“I went to see Donald during the lunch hour.”

“Oh, okay. How is he? Hope there is no problem with him?”

“He told me something I found very hard to believe. How could you Ugochi?”

“How could I what? You’re not making any sense Ikem.” Ugochi said as her heart hammered furiously in her chest. Here it comes, she thought.

“Do you want to sit there and pretend you don’t know what I am talking about? You honestly want to play dumb with me?” his voice rose any octave as he talked. By the time he finished the sentence, he was shouting.

“Ikem, keep your voice down please, and explain to me what you are going on about.”

“I don’t owe you any explanation. You are the one who has a lot to explain so you better start now.”

Ugochi watched him calmly. She has to be absolutely sure of what he is referring to before she can even offer any form of explanation. What if he is not talking about what she thought?

“Ikem, you know I love you, but this behavior of yours is not helping matters at all. Sit down, and let’s talk about this like the adults we are.”

Ikem was so mad, he could barely see straight. “Are you insinuating that I am acting like a child? Is that what you are saying to me, Ugochi?”

Before she could answer, he dragged her up, and rained two slaps on her face. The force of the slap staggered her and she found herself on the floor. Before she could react and defend herself, he started punching her, hitting her over and over until she curled into a tiny ball of pain and agony. Only then did he release her. He was breathing heavily, in and out, while she just laid on the floor whimpering like an injured animal.

She couldn’t stand up, she couldn’t scream, all that came out of her were small whimpers, a sound very similar to that of an animal in terrible pain.

“In fact, I want you out of my house,” Ikem raged as he gave her a swift kick. “Go in there, pack your properties, and get the heck out of my house. I don’t ever want to see your face here anymore, you liar and cheat.” He stormed into the bedroom and Ugochi could hear him throwing things around like a mad man.

She dragged herself off the floor, painfully and little by little until she got to the place where she placed her phone earlier. Despite the pain fogging her mind and brain, she knew she had to call for help before Ikem came back to finish what he had started.

She dialed Dawn’s number with shaky fingers. Dawn lives close by and she can get there within a few minutes.

“Hey girl, what’s up?” Dawn said as soon as she picked.

Ugochi started sobbing. “Please come to the house to get me….come quickly before he kills me.” she managed to say into the receiver before collapsing on the floor.

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-3/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 2:42am On Nov 23, 2019
EPISODE 4

The next day, Ugochi woke up to a lot pain. She was alone in bed and she assumed Dawn must have gone in to work. Her body ached so bad she could barely move from the bed. She would have to call in sick to the office.

Although she was shaking with the pain assuaging her body, no matter how bad that pain was it couldn’t compare with the pain in her heart. She couldn’t think of the happenings of last night without dissolving in tears. She couldn’t believe her fairy tale could turn into a nightmare so quickly. She forced the thought from her mind determinedly.

She tried to maneuver herself out of bed with as little pain as possible. One of her eyes was still swollen shut so she could only see out of the one good eye and it was throbbing badly. She grimaced as she set her feet on the floor, tentatively rising and walked to the bathroom to survey the damage in the mirror. She gasped when she saw herself.

Her right eye was swollen shut and the other one was bloodshot. Her right cheek was also swollen, she touched it tentatively and found it very tender. She had a cut on her lower lip, and she could barely move her head without feeling a slight crick in her neck. She looked down at her body and saw a myriad of cuts and bruises. If her mother saw her now, she would barely recognize her.

Ugochi sat on the toilet seat wondering what she did to deserve this kind of beating from Ikem. Even if he had seen her with Fredrick and assumed she was cheating on him, it could have all been resolved with a rational conversation, not this barbaric act. She could never go back to him now even if he finally understood her relationship with Fredrick. She could never be with a man who would use his fists instead of his words. Her heart broke as she thought of the years lost.

She decided to dust her pain off and move on. First thing to do would be to contact Fredrick and let him know the developments and both of them need to trash out their next course of action. She limped slowly to the living room and was so surprised to see Dawn sprawled on the settee, watching TV.

“Dawn? Why are you still home?” she asked incredulously.

Dawn sat up immediately and scrutinized her from head to toe. “Why are you up this early? Do you feel alright?” she asked sharply

“Yes babe, I feel okay. Why are you home?”

“I couldn’t leave you all alone today now. I called in sick at the office.”

“Oh, you didn’t have to do that. I’m okay, just some minor cuts and bruises.”

Dawn shook her head vigorously. “Girl, those cuts and bruises are anything but minor. What the hell happened to you last night? I refuse to believe it was Ikem that beat you up like that.”

Ugochi walked towards the settee and sat beside her friend. “My dear, I didn’t want to believe it too until it happened.”

“Why? Why would he do that to you?” Dawn was genuinely perplexed.

“If I tell you I know the reason, then I’m lying. I have my suspicions though.”

“So, he didn’t tell you? He gave no explanation for his behavior?”

Ugochi shrugged. “I don’t know, Dawn. I just don’t know.”

“You said you have your suspicions? What are they?”

“I’d rather not tell you now. It is a very sensitive matter and it affects a third party. I’d rather straighten it out with the person concerned before sharing.”

Dawn watched her closely. “Is everything okay, Ugochi? It is unlike you to hide things from your friends.”

“I’ll let you know when the time is right. I promise.”

“Okay then. I’ll give you your privacy.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” Dawn stood up. “So, what would you like for breakfast?”

“I don’t think I can eat much with this swollen cheek and cut lips. Maybe I’ll just take some beverage?”

“Okay. Let me make some for you.”

“Thanks dear. Thanks for being there.”

“What are friends for if not for inconvenience?” Dawn said cheekily.

Ugochi laughed. “Oh please, I can’t laugh. My cheek hurts.”

“Sorry. Beverage coming up.”

As soon as Dawn moved in the direction of the small kitchenette, Ugochi brought out her phone and dialed Frederick’s number. He picked up on the first ring.

“Ugochi hi. I’ve been trying to reach you since last night. Are you alright?”

“No, I’m not Frederick. We need to talk. Preferably face to face.”

“What’s up?”

“I’d rather hold on till we see.”

“Alright. Name the time and place.”

“I can’t come out, I’m not feeling too great. Can you come to Dawn’s place? As soon as you’re able?”

“Okay. Just send me her address. I’ll try to be there in the next two hours.”

“Alright, I’ll do that.”

“See you soon.”

“Yeah. See you.”

Ugochi dropped the call and quickly sent the directions to him. The sooner the meeting can take place, the better for all involved.

About two hours later, a knock sounded on the door. Ugochi jumped up from the couch where she was sprawled watching TV and went to the door. Dawn had left the apartment to get some groceries from the supermarket and to get some pain relieving drugs for Ugochi, so she was home alone. She opened the door to find Frederick on the other side. His jaw dropped as soon as he saw her battered face.

“What happened to you? Were you in an accident?” he asked, incredulous

Ugochi smiled. “Please come in.” she said and made room for him to get in.

Fredrick walked in but stayed by the door. Ugochi closed the door and saw him watching her curiously.

“What happened to you?” he asked once more

“Come sit down and I’ll tell you everything.” She interjected

He reluctantly followed her to the sofa and sat beside her.

“What can I offer you?” Ugochi asked

“Forget about that for now, will you? Tell me what happened to you? Were you in an accident?” he repeated.

Ugochi knew she couldn’t put it off any longer. “No, I wasn’t.” she said quietly. “It was Ikemefuna.”

Fredrick jumped off the sofa. “What?” he screeched

“Relax, Fredrick. That was why I said we needed to talk. Will you sit down, please? It hurts my neck to look up to you like that.”

https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-4/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 8:46am On Nov 23, 2019
EPISODE 5

Three days later, Fredrick decided to meet his yet to be disclosed twin, Ikem on his own terms and not make use of the relationship between him and Ugochi. He didn’t want Ugochi to be more hurt by his own inability to take the bull by its horns. It was time to meet the guy and talk to him, straighten issues out and see if what he wants is actually possible. Although, after the way Ikem treated Ugochi, he was having second thoughts about wanting anything to do with him.

He had gotten Ikem’s phone number from Ugochi when they met three days earlier. He had not told Ugochi what his decision is, he just told her he would think about it and he left it at that. He isn’t planning on telling her anything until he has made contact with Ikem and gotten some things straightened out.

He stared at the number on his phone screen for several minutes before he decided to dial the number. Ikem picked up on the third ring.

“Hello, who is this?” Ikem asked on picking up.

Fredrick hesitated for a moment before replying. “Good afternoon. Am I speaking with Ikem, please?”

“Yes, and who is this?”

“This is Fredrick.”

“Yes?”

“I’ll like us to meet and discuss some issues.”

“Do I know you?” Ikem asked. He was clearly confused by the strange call.

No, you don’t Ikem.”

“So, I should just come running because you crooked your fingers? What is this about?”

“It’s about your girlfriend, Ugochi and about your future.”

“What about Ugochi?” Fredrick could detect traces of annoyance and incredulity in his voice.

“I’d rather we see face to face so we can discuss it. You can choose the time and place.”

“Okay, you’ve got me interested. Do you know ‘De Gome’ restaurant? It’s at Clip bus-stop near Samonda.”

“Yes, I do. What time do we meet?”

“I’ll be free by 8pm.”

“8pm it is then. I look forward to meeting you.”

“I can’t wait to hear what all this is about.” He said and dropped the call.

Fredrick stared at the dead phone. He couldn’t wait to meet this guy face to face. He had formed all his opinions on his twin based on what Ugochi told him but it was apparent now that Ugochi’s observations were obviously tinted by love. Tonight, the whole charade will be over.

Ikem stared into space as he recalled the conversation. The guy said his name was Fredrick and he wanted to talk about Ugochi. It’s probably the guy she had been sneaking around with for the past few weeks. I can’t wait to see the bastard and here what he has to say for himself, he thought.

ALSO READ: THE FLOWER GIRL 

Fredrick decided to dash home after work and freshen up before his meeting with Ikem. He wanted to give a favorable first impression. He was at the restaurant at five minutes to eight because he wanted to have the advantage of getting there first. He sat at a table close to the door and waited for Ikem to turn up. Fredrick knew what Ikem looked like because he had seen a picture on Ugochi’s phone and he sees the exact image in his mirror every morning, so, he felt pretty sure he would recognize him when they met.

Fredrick kept checking his watch. 8:01, 8: 03, 8:05, still there was no sign of Ikem. The restaurant door finally opened and admitted his quarry at exactly ten minutes past eight. Fredrick watched Ikem as he looked around the restaurant trying to figure out who he was meeting. He raised his hand and waved to get his attention and saw Ikem’s eyes move slowly towards him.

The guy did a double-take, obviously surprised at seeing a replica of himself sitting quietly, waiting for him. A frown creased his forehead as he walked measuredly towards Fredrick’s table.

He came to an abrupt halt when he got to the table. “This must be a joke?” he asked, incredulous

“I assure you it is not.” Fredrick said as he stood up and stretched his hand for a handshake.

Ikem ignored the outstretched hand and kept staring at Fredrick. “Who the hell are you?” he asked sharply.

“Shall we sit?”

“No, I’m not sitting down until I know what this is all about.”

Fredrick looked around and saw they were attracting a lot of attention from the diners. He knew the quickest way to diffuse the situation. He smiled as he looked back at Ikem. “I am your twin brother.” He said quietly and watched as Ikem’s eyes dilated and he fell on his chair.

Fredrick sat down quietly. “Now, can we talk?” he looked towards his twin.

Ikem nodded, unable to do much more than stare, dumbstruck.

They sat down and stared at each other for two full minutes. Ikem couldn’t talk, he was incapable of any action. He just sat there staring. Fredrick watched him as he stared, giving him time to absorb the bombshell he just dropped. After all, he had been aware of the situation of things for a while now. He also wanted to take his time too as he had been looking forward to this very moment for a long time.

Ikem finally found his voice. “What the hell did you mean by what you just said? I don’t have a twin. I’ve never had a twin.”

Fredrick nodded. “Calm down, will you? Let me start from the beginning.”

“I’m listening and I assure you heads will roll if this turns out to be an epic waste of my time.”

“I’m sure we can rule that out. After all, you can see for yourself.” Fredrick replied, indicating his face.

Ikem finally relaxed a bit. He called for a waiter and ordered a bottle of beer. Fredrick was surprised but he hid it well. He ordered for a bottle of soft drink instead; he needed a clear head to do what he was about to do.

Their drinks arrived and Ikem took a sip of his before he signaled Fredrick to go ahead. He was acting cocky and very rude. Fredrick was not impressed.

“I got to know about this a few months ago.” Fredrick began. “I was as surprised as you are now to say the least. I couldn’t fathom the idea that I wasn’t born of my parents and they hid it so well. Let me start from the beginning.

“I got sick a few months ago. I was diagnosed with kidney disease and I needed a transplant urgently. Suffice to say none of my so-called relatives could help out. It was then the truth came out. When I got stronger, I demanded the full story from my parents and they told me an elaborate story I wouldn’t have believed if it was not coming directly from the source.

“My mum told me the story of how they had been childless for many years. They had tried all they could to no avail. After speaking with their family doctor, a plan was set in motion to steal the baby of another couple who frequented the clinic they used. They had promised the doctor a huge amount of money to get it done.

“Your mother had twins and they told her the other baby didn’t survive. She never knew what happened. I am the other baby.”

“This tells a lot like a Nollywood story. Why didn’t they just adopt?”

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-5/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
EPISODE 6

Ugochi watched as Fredrick paced nervously in front of her. For the first time since she met him, she came to his house for a visit. Also, this is the first time he’s showing any form of nervousness to her, he’s always so cool and collected. He looks cute in his nervousness, though.

“Fredrick, will you calm down please? Won’t you have a seat and let’s talk about this?”

She looked around but couldn’t find another seat except the sofa she was seating on. Fredrick’s place is the perfect example of a bachelor pad. He had just the bare essentials; a sofa, a big ass TV, a DVD, cable TV, a lot of books arranged neatly on the bookshelf, and that was it.

He must be an avid reader. Only a person who loves books will take such great care to arrange them properly and care for them in such a way. Ugochi looked towards him, he was still pacing.

“Fredrick, come on. It’s not the end of the world, you know. I know how insensitive Ikem can be so I don’t blame you for flying off the handle.”

“I just don’t know what to do. I don’t care about Ikem but he was the only link I had towards my mother. Now, I might never get to meet her because I wasn’t patient with him.”

“Come sit. I’m sure we can devise a plan.”

He reluctantly shuffled towards her. He had such a worried look on his face and Ugochi felt for him.

“I don’t know what to do.” He put his head in his hands

Ugochi moved closer to him and put her arm around him. “It’s going to be fine. You’ll get to meet her even if we have to stalk him until he goes to visit her.”

Fredrick turned his head towards her and smiled for the first time in two hours. “Now, that’s a brilliant plan!”

Ugochi looked at him askance. “But, I was just kidding!”

“No, no, look at it this way. Ikem just heard this monumental news that he is maybe a twin and that his mother has another child out there. What do you think he would do?”

“He’ll probably go visit her to ask and confirm if it was true?”

“Bingo! I think he’ll visit her very soon. We need to be prepared.”

“But Fredrick, isn’t that rather taking it too far?”

“How else am I going to know my birth parents? Do you see Ikem reaching out after what happened? He believes I took you from him, he thinks we are together and that you’ve been lying to him for a long time. That alone can cloud any man’s judgment.”

“What a load of rubbish. I’ve never cheated on him and he knows it. Anyway, I’m done with that.”

“Are you sure?”

“You expect me to go back to him after he beat me black and blue?”

“No, I don’t but you never know with abuse victims. Most times, they end up back with their abuser.”

“I assure you I’m not going back.”

“Not even when he comes begging, hat in hand?”

“When? Not if?”

“Yes, when. Believe me, he’s going to come back and beg.”

“If you say so but not even then. I’m never going back to Ikem.”

“That’s good. That’s very good.”

“You sound suspiciously happy.”

“That’s because I know a good thing when I see it.” He winked

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she narrowed her eyes suspiciously

“Time will tell, babe. Time will tell.” he winked again. “But really, how come you didn’t meet Ikem’s parents? Or rather, my parents?”

“Who said I didn’t?”

“If you met them, you’ll obviously know where they live.”

“Ohh, yeah. The time was just never right.”

“Never?”

“Yes, I just wasn’t ready for that kind of ‘meeting the parents’ commitment yet. Now, I’m glad I didn’t.”

“Hmm, you can say that again.” He clapped his hands together eagerly. “So, are you in this with me?”

“Uh, yeah. You don’t expect me to miss all the fun.”

He clapped his hands together like someone preparing to dig into a delicacy. “Let’s do this then.”

Ugochi couldn’t help but smile. “Yeah, let’s”

ALSO READ: THE FRACTURED BLISS 5

They took up the challenge and immediately began following Ikem. It wasn’t as easy as they thought it would be though. They didn’t put into consideration other things that might put a demand on their time, and they didn’t figure they’ll have to follow him every day and all the time so as to get the exact time he goes to visit his parents. By the time, they had followed him around Ibadan city for a whole day, amidst traffic and all, they were tired of running after him.

Ugochi finally came up with a plan. She suggested Fredrick follows for a part of the day while she does other things and she would take over at a particular time. Of course, she was able to do this at all because she took time off work after the altercation she had with Ikem and Fredrick also had time because he took a leave of absence from work to find out his ancestry. The second plan worked out beautifully.

It was Ugochi’s turn to follow Ikem when they finally had a break. She had followed him all afternoon, went with him to a barber to have a haircut, followed him to lunch, and followed him to what looked suspiciously like a booty call. She didn’t want to believe he had started seeing someone else already, but that was definitely what it looked like. That finally put a death to whatever leftover feelings she had been harboring for him.

At about 6pm, when she was ready to quit and call it a day, he finally visited a venue that looked very promising. She remembered Ikem speaking to her about his parents one day and he had mentioned they lived at Ikolaba in Ibadan. His next stop was a gated house at Ikolaba and something told Ugochi they finally hit the jackpot. She quickly put a call to Fredrick.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Fredrick. I think I’ve got the place. He’s at a house in Ikolaba and he once told me his parents have a house there. Can you come quickly?”

“I’m on my way. Where exactly are you?”

“It’s a street called Romeo Avenue. I’m parked directly across the street from the house he entered. It’s the third house on your right with a red gate.” After giving him directions, she hung up, praying he would get there in time.

She had been there for about thirty minutes when Ikem suddenly stormed out, slamming the passenger gate and stalking to his car. Before long, an older woman came out and ran towards him, pulling his arm. She was talking, but Ugochi couldn’t make out her words. Ikem’s face was turned away and he finally jerked his arm free and got into his car. He started the engine and drove away, leaving her by the road looking after him.

For a split second the woman turned her face towards Ugochi and Ugochi was stunned by the resemblance between her and the twin men. She finally wiped tears from her face, turned and walked forlornly inside her house. Ugochi knew she had just seen Fredrick and Ikem’s mother.

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-6/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 9:51pm On Nov 25, 2019
EPISODE 7

Fredrick got in and looked around. It was a duplex. The compound was very neat and beautiful with trees and flowers everywhere. There were two cars parked, a Peugeot and a Mercedes Benz. Those two cars speak money or at least comfort. The gate-man who let him in was looking at him strangely.

“May I speak with your madam?”

He looked at Fredrick, dump-struck. “Oga Ikem, no be you?” he asked, looked around, obviously confused. “But, you comot now. I see you comot. How you come go come back like that?” he was walking around Fredrick, looking at him from head to toe.

Fredrick kept his cool. “May I speak with your madam?”

“Oga, who you be? Make I just go call my madam.”

“Please, sir. I really need to see her and I assure you she’ll want to see me too. Just say her son wants to see her.”

The gateman still stood back, apparently unsure what to do. “Please?”

He looked at Fredrick once more and walked towards the front door. He stopped, looked back for a few moments, shook his head and walked the rest of the way. He knocked.

The door opened and Fredrick could see the man gesticulating and pointing in his direction. He went on for a few moments and then the person he was talking to stepped into the light and Fredrick could see she was a woman. The gateman was still talking but she wasn’t listening anymore. She walked slowly towards Fredrick and he saw her face. This is definitely my mother, he thought.

She stopped after walking a few steps and just stared at him. Tears trickled down and she resumed walking until she got to him. No words were needed. It was very glaring who he was. She put her hand on his right cheek and stared into his eyes. Fredrick couldn’t hold back the tears.

“Mum?” he whispered

She nodded and pulled him in for a hug. They held each other tightly for a few moments. After a while, she withdrew, held his hand and led him into the house.

Few minutes later, they were seated comfortably in the living room. Fredrick’s dad had joined them and they all sat there staring at one another, totally lost for words. The twins looked like their mother; same eyes, same cheekbones and same mouth. It was unnerving for Fredrick sitting there looking at his parents after he had thought about it for many months. It was surreal.

Finally, his dad broke the silence. “How did you get to know about us?” he asked

Fredrick told them the same story he had told Ikem the other day. By the time he was finished, they were dumbfounded. His mother was crying while his father looked very furious.

“Those snakes. That stupid doctor!” he fumed. “How can they do that? That is inhuman and terrible. I’m going to prosecute them to the full extent of my power.”

Fredrick hung his head. He knew now was not the right time to plead on behalf of his adoptive parents. They had been as good to him as parents could be but what they had done was unforgiveable. He couldn’t bring himself to punish them though.

“No, Leonard. Let’s not pour petrol on this burning fire. What’s done is done. Let us just thank God our son is back home.” His mum said.

“Nkechi, how can you say that? Look at him, he’s a grown man. We missed twenty eight years of his life. And you ask me to forget it? How can I?”

“I know, dear. But we have the next forty years or so to make up for that. What is fighting going to solve? Please, let’s just be thankful we have our son back.”

Fredrick’s dad looked at his wife. She looked at him imploringly. He finally shook his head and looked down. Fredrick could tell he was not satisfied with his wife’s decision but he was going to respect it nonetheless. Fredrick was relieved.

His mum turned to him and smiled. “Come, my son. What’s your best food? Let me prepare it for you. Dear, can you bring out a bottle of wine? We need to celebrate.” She stood up and came to sit beside Fredrick. “Tell me, what food do you like best?”

He smiled. “I’m fine with anything you make, mum.” It felt good to say that word.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Okay then. Leonard, what are you still waiting for? The wine?”

“Oh yes.” He jumped up and went out of the room.

“Actually, mum I have a friend waiting outside for me. Could I bring her in?”

“Yes, of course. Why did you leave her outside all this while?”

“Let me go get her.”

“Please, do.”

Fredrick went out of the house. He felt elated and very happy. The reunion had gone a lot better than he had hoped for.

“Oga, well done o.” the gateman said as he stepped out. He was still scratching his head in confusion.

Fredrick smiled and went out. He saw Ugochi leaning on the side of her car. She had obviously gotten tired of sitting in. She walked towards him and a very big smile split his face.

“I take it it went well?”

“It went perfectly.” He took her hand and led her into the house.

ALSO READ: The gods Of Fate (chi) 1

That week, Fredrick spent most of his time with his parents. It was a period of learning and getting to know one another. They had a lot of catching up to do so they found a way to get it done. They tried to stuff many years of absence into a little bit of time.

Nkechi called Ikem home for a family dinner the day after Fredrick came home. Ikem sent a message that he couldn’t make it. Nkechi was crushed and shared her concerns with Fredrick. It was then her told her about all the drama with Ugochi and everything that had happened between him and his twin. He left out the fact that Ikem was abusive though as he didn’t want that to come between a mother and her son. Their mother was very disappointed in Ikem but she didn’t give up. She kept inviting him until he gave in and decided to come almost a week after Fredrick came home.

Nkechi was very excited and told Fredrick about it. She decided to use the opportunity to introduce their newly found son to their family and friends. It was going to be a party like they’ve never had.

Fredrick knew it would be an opportunity to make amends with his twin. He didn’t want the animosity between them to fester until it becomes something that will be difficult to get beyond or to handle. He needed to clear the air with Ikem about Ugochi. He however, couldn’t get beyond the fact that Ikem felt it was okay to beat up a woman. He simply couldn’t wrap his head around the realization that his twin was abusive. He knew he had to deal with it if there was going to be any kind of relationship between Ikem and himself.

The day of the party arrived and Fredrick was feeling very conspicuous. He had thought of inviting Ugochi but he knew that would only add fuel to the fire that was already burning; he didn’t want it to become an inferno. Ugochi’s presence would have calmed him and made him feel less alone.

Family and friends started arriving and he was introduced to them all. He watched his parents talk about him to their friends with so much pride and he was humbled by how easily they accepted him into their family. Through the whirlwind of introductions and discussions though, he was on the look-out for only one person and he knew the exact time Ikem arrived.

A hush fell over the crowd and people started commenting on how alike both of them looked. There were murmurings and whispers all around. Fredrick was not fazed by all that. He waited for Ikem to finish his round of greetings before he approached him. As soon as he saw him move towards the bar, he went after him.

“Good to see you here Ikem.” Fredrick said, offering his hand for a handshake.

“I wish I could say the same.” Ikem eyed his outstretched hand carefully before clasping it. It was obvious he shook his twin because he wanted to avoid speculations from any onlooker.

“Can we go somewhere private and talk?”

“What about?” Ikem was still as deviant as ever.

“I think you’ll agree we have a lot to talk about?”

“Can’t it wait? I mean, I’m trying to enjoy a drink here.”

“No, it can’t and feel free to bring your drink along. I’m thinking the backyard will do?” Fredrick didn’t wait for his reply before walking away.

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-7/
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Defavouredkings(m): 10:17pm On Nov 25, 2019
EPISODE 8

Fredrick knew he needed to act fast after his discussion with Ikem.

It was obvious Ikem was thinking of going back to Ugochi, and he wasn’t so certain the kind of reception he is likely to receive. Although, Ugochi had been very emphatic about not getting back together with Ikem, one can never be sure as love is a very funny business.

He had called her immediately after the party and scheduled a lunch date with her. Her time is much more valuable now that she’s gone back to work. He didn’t want to waste time, he would have preferred a dinner date instead. Well, he has to work with what he has.

Ugochi was waiting for him by the time he got to the restaurant at Ring Road. They hugged and sat down.

“It’s good to see you, Fredrick.”

“Good to see you too. I have missed you.”

“Yeah, you know that cannot be avoided. What have you been up to?”

“Nothing much. Just settling in with the folks. Getting to know them better.”

“That’s great. I’m happy for you.”

“Yeah.”

“And Ikem? Have you been able to settle your differences?”

“Yeah. We spoke at length at my welcoming party.”

“Oh, that’s great news. I’ll hate to see you guys drift apart.”

“I’m not sure we can have a very good relationship. Not after the way he treated you.”

“Come on Fredrick. Anybody can make a mistake. If I can forgive him, I’m sure you can too.”

“Are you saying you’ve forgiven him?”

“Sure. I have to if I want to move on.”

“That’s very selfless of you.”

“It’s not about being selfless. It’s just self-preservation. I don’t want to hold so much hate in my heart.”

“So, it’s not because you still love him?”

“Fredrick, you must remember that I was with Ikem for more than three years and in those three years, he never once maltreated me. It would be difficult to forget all the good times because of one bad incident.”

“I can’t believe you, Ugochi. You know once a beater, always a beater right?”

“I don’t believe that. At least not where Ikem is concerned.”

“Really? I can’t believe this.”

“Fredrick, why are you so dead set against your twin?”

“I just hate women beaters, regardless of the fact that he’s my twin or not.”

“I understand you but I assure you Ikem is not like that. I don’t get your antagonism.”

“Maybe it stemmed from the fact that I like you. You must know that, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do.” Ugochi sighed. “But what do you imagine will come out of that?”

“I imagine you’ll at least give me a chance?”

“I can’t do that, Fredrick. I’ve been with Ikem, I can’t be with you too.”

“Why? I don’t think it’s that big a deal.”

“To me it is. I just can’t.” she looked away

“So, that’s a no?”

Ugochi looked at him sadly. “Yes, it is. I’m sorry.”

He shrugged. “It’s okay. For what it’s worth, I think Ikem will come back to grovel very soon.”

Ugochi just smiled. Their conversation became stilted after that and after a few minutes, they parted ways.

Ugochi was not sure what will happen between them after that but she wished the friendship can continue. She valued Fredrick’s friendship too much to lose it over something as trivial as a failed attempt at love.

ALSO READ: The Unforgiven Trespass

The next day, the last thing she thought would happen was a visit from Ikem. But alas, there he was at the door to Dawn’s house. Ugochi was dumbfounded.

He had in his hands a beautiful bouquet of red roses, and his face showed his deep remorse. Ugochi wasn’t about to be appeased with just a bunch of flowers and a sorry look though.

“What are you doing here, Ikem?” she asked rudely. Fortunately, Dawn was not home or she would have walked him out immediately.

“Can I come in, Ugochi? Please?”

“What for?” she frowned

“Please?”

She reluctantly opened the door wider and allowed him come in. She indicated a chair that was a bit far from the sofa she chose to sit in. Ikem sat with a contrite look on his face. Ugochi simply ignored him and stared at her phone.

FULL STORY: https://defavouredkings.com.ng/love-beyond-measures-episode-8/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Beyond Measures by Odoogu(m): 11:28pm On Nov 25, 2019
There is not a universal answer to how love works. good one.. keep it coming
Re: Love Beyond Measures by Vibesvbs(m): 10:37am On Nov 28, 2019
Atewo.perempeperempem peperem peperempen

(1) (Reply)

My Boss Is An Ass Chapter Two / Content Creators Needed For Blog And Social Media / Explanation Needed On - "Much Ado About Nothing"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.