Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,822 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" (11416 Views)

Land Grabbers’ Violent Return To Lagos Leaves Trail Of Blood, Deaths / Land Grabbers Invade Building Site In Ogun, Snatch N500,000, From A Lady / Land Grabbers (Omo Onile) Storm Idimu, Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 22, 2019
ikorodureporta:

all this na story..

Go & settle d Community head/ Oba, & u'l b free

Exactly what I wanted to write. Once the local chief is settled you are free.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by AsomArchitectNG(m): 7:24am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

If you are an architect you should know that that isn't probably the best advice to give a client. With due respect.

That's the way we attract more broke clientele to the profession and in the end a shoddy job is done by a quack.

They have just 200,000 and they want to design and build a four bedroom and we tell them, start small. Not OK in my opinion.

Let them save over the years or take a loan or use an insurance company or something and not bring their broke ass asking for a "plan" from architects.

Nope. As Doctors profers advice to his/her patient and tell them what's best for them so too as architects...

In 2015 I talked to my client on seeing the need to build bit by bit because he had always wanted to gather the money once. Me and u can attest to the fact that only few personalities in Nigeria can actually start a building and finish in no time. Not everyone can afford that.

He actually started construction in 2015 and in October 2018 he finished up and moved in. That was when he told me that he has been having the intentions to build for a long time now but was hoping to start and take it up to finishing level at once and that seemed impossible as the money wasn't forth coming.. My friend it's my uttermost responsibility to give advice to every of my clients and ensures the very best for them..

5 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by AfroKnight: 7:26am On Nov 22, 2019
ursullalinda:
After doing all that is stated above you move to your site with confidence like law abiding citizen forgetting Tinubu's boys will show......hahaha......I pity you..... those boys harass people for ordinary repainting not to talk of a new building.....and the funny thing is that even when you call a high placed officer....he will advice you to settle them.....infact those boys get power pass Lagos governor.......courtesy of Tinubu

Have you built in Warri? Lagos omonile na primary schoolboy for where Warri boys dey. You go pay Deve like say na government contract. PH boys nko?

Abeg remove the log in your eye first. Village Bigot.

2 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by ndcide(m): 7:35am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

If you are an architect you should know that that isn't probably the best advice to give a client. With due respect.

That's the way we attract more broke clientele to the profession and in the end a shoddy job is done by a quack.

They have just 200,000 and they want to design and build a four bedroom and we tell them, start small. Not OK in my opinion.

Let them save over the years or take a loan or use an insurance company or something and not bring their broke ass asking for a "plan" from architects.

Are you not broke?

He who consideres the wind will not sow

2 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Jaqenhghar: 7:36am On Nov 22, 2019
In that dump you can do all that and still be a victim of those thigs
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Jaqenhghar: 7:37am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

So your job is to service only rich clients

2 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by ndcide(m): 7:38am On Nov 22, 2019
oga4prop:
Most Omo Onile in Nigeria claim to be indigenous residents of some communities and have put on themselves the right to sell and collect a payment, compensation, rents, and taxes from those they pronounce as tenants, non-indigenes, or settlers. In most cases, these Omoniles operates like land grabbers, using force and all possible means to gain access and control over lands. Over time, they sell the same parcel of land to multiple buyers and interfere on land acquired legitimately by others. Sometimes, they make a difficult process for the land buyers to claim their possession after purchase by demanding illegal payments and threatening or attacking construction workers at building sites, posing threat to peace and security, and sometimes leads to heavy loss by private investors.

So you do not face any issue with them, the following steps should be considered.

Carry experts in the field along
By doing this, you can be sure of the fact that they can help carry out the necessary check on the property. They will be with you during the agreement signing and from the beginning till the end of the transaction to help you figure out every issue.
Carry along with you a Surveyor and a Lawyer in order to avoid risk and wastage in your investment.

Confirm the real owner
There are situations where you’ll hear people tell you they paid to the wrong family or the wrong owner, this leads to having two owners for one parcel of land. Take your time to verify who owns the property to avoid issues in the nearest future.
To be on a safe side, we advise that you also carry along with the community representatives more, especially the Baale, who is the head of the community. It is important that you involve them in signing the deeds of assignment to avoid paying to the wrong owner too.

Register the survey of the property and be sure of your allocation
Make sure nothing delay allocation once you’ve paid, know where they are giving you and construct a corner piece on the edges of the property to avoid intruders into your property. Register the survey in your name to avoid issues as soon as you’ve taken possession and if possible apply for a C of O on the property if not given.

Start your construction
Once you are in possession of your property, the first step you should take is starting your construction immediately, it doesn’t matter how little even if you are starting with a little fence first. You should for no reason leave your property for a long period without doing anything as this may lead to resell of your property to another person which may lead you to relocate you to another site or in a worse situation, losing your property forever.

By doing all of this, you are free from issues coming from anybody claiming to be omoniles and all you have to do is take your time and follow all these tips.

Will buying from real estate companies help?

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 22, 2019
AsomArchitectNG:

Nope. As Doctors profers advice to his/her patient and tell them what's best for them so too as architects...

In 2015 I talked to my client on seeing the need to build bit by bit because he had always wanted to gather the money once. Me and u can attest to the fact that only few personalities in Nigeria can actually start a building and finish in no time. Not everyone can afford that.

He actually started construction in 2015 and in October 2018 he finished up and moved in. That was when he told me that he has been having the intentions to build for a long time now but was hoping to start and take it up to finishing level at once and that seemed impossible as the money wasn't forth coming.. My friend it's my uttermost responsibility to give advice to every of my clients and ensures the very best for them..

The problem with that kind of method is that, the client tells the architect that they are broke and can't pay the architects fee.

See ehn, the average Nigerian will rather pay his bricklayers than pay an architect for some piece of paper with lines on it.

If Nigerians can be encouraged to save over a period of years, the quality of building designs will improve.

An architect is supposed to inspect the works on site at least once a month which is the regulation stipulated by NIA.

Tell me, for how many years is the architect supposed to be perambulating a client's site to inspect the works? Can the client pay for such?

It's a different thing though if the services required of the architect doesn't include inspection of works and just stops at production of contract documents like the working drawings, schedules and specifications.

But then the problem with that is that the architect can't be sure that his design will be implemented on site and so may not be able to lay claim to the actual outcome as most clients will change the drawing on site anyway without the input of the architect.

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 22, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

So your job is to service only rich clients

No, our job is to provide a service to a client in a way that will make sure we are able to keep our offices open.

Building of house is only for those who have money bro.

You can't have change in your bank account and say you want to build your own house because you don't want to be paying rent.

Nigerians should learn how to manage their finances and save towards owning a home.

I have seen lots of people living in uncompleted buildings, fixing it bit by bit.

You should know that most of these building materials are harmful to the health when they are freshly installed. Like cement and paints.

You can get an idea of the range of amount you'd need for your building and save towards it.

Building materials prices flunctuate, but within a range anyway.

4 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 22, 2019
ndcide:

Are you not broke?

He who consideres the wind will not sow

No I am not broke. And it is silly to suggest that seeing that this is a faceless forum.

Second, look around you (I believe you are in Nigeria) and see the shoddiness of buildings, poor finishing, substandard designs, substandard material etc.

What do you think is the major cause?

I don't know how your proverb fits into this narrative.

The bible talks of planning before engaging in a construction process.

Building construction is not cheap anywhere.

Someone recently highlighted why it might be even cheaper to rent your home than to build one at the moment. You should read it.

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by bonnyhope: 7:54am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

No, our job is to provide a service to a client in a way that will make sure we are able to keep our offices opened.

You can't have change in your bank account and say you want to build your own house because you don't want to be paying rent.

Nigerians should learn how to manage their finances and save towards owning a home.

I have seen lots of people living in uncompleted buildings, fixing it bit by bit.

You should know that most of these building materials are harmful to the health when they are freshly installed. Like cement and paints.

You can get an idea of the range of amount you'd need for your building and save towards it.

Building materials prices flunctuate, but withing a range anyway.

Oga, apart from providing drawing plan of the building, what's another job of an architect in erecting a building? Please i want to know

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by SoNature(m): 7:54am On Nov 22, 2019
AfroKnight:

Have you built in Warri? Lagos omonile na primary schoolboy for where Warri boys dey. You go pay Deve like say na government contract. PH boys nko?

Abeg remove the log in your eye first. Village Bigot.

Most of the nonsense you see in Nigeria today was learned from Lagos because it's the most talked about, respected and visited state in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by mabea: 7:57am On Nov 22, 2019
ursullalinda:
After doing all that is stated above you move to your site with confidence like law abiding citizen forgetting Tinubu's boys will show......hahaha......I pity you..... those boys harass people for ordinary repainting not to talk of a new building.....and the funny thing is that even when you call a high placed officer....he will advice you to settle them.....infact those boys get power pass Lagos governor.......courtesy of Tinubu
My dear that's the situation on ground here o. Lay foundation problem, raise the foundation another problem, linter and all the stages at one point and another you would have to settle so annoying.

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Aadeyemo1(m): 8:00am On Nov 22, 2019
This is what my landlady who is a widow is presently facing. This set of Hippocrates just badge into d compound and one of them said he his the owner of the compound nd d building.she ( landlady)only built just 2 bungalow on her land Nd she left d rest of d land with just only foundation on it. Calls was placed to the landlady cos she doesn't live with us Nd she said she was going to involve the lawyer. However the lawyer told her that that's the trend in Lagos now that this set of pple are so influential to the extent that even if the matter go court they will win. The lawyer said it takes d help of the CDA and God to rise Nd fight for such person. Presently now we don't even knw our faith but we hopeful she will scale through from the hands of this daredevils. This set of pple r going round agege axis to fish out any virgin land or partly built building to claim as their. May God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 22, 2019
bonnyhope:

Oga, apart from providing drawing plan of the building, what's another job of an architect in erecting a building? Please i want to know

Way before the architect even puts drawings on paper, he'll have to meet with the client to collect brief and brief development. Then site visits to do reconnaissance survey. Sketching for client's approval. Then production of contract documents which include your drawings too. Getting approval for the drawings from Town Planning office. The architect also helps in costing at times, or you could just use a quantity surveyor. The architect also helps in the bidding process. Liaises with other building professionals on behalf of the client. Helps the client mobilise to site. Must inspect the ongoing site construction at least once every month which is when we usually have site meetings. Further design corrections might be needed from the architect to amend the original plan to the reality on site. Among many others. I'm sure I've left out some. But you get the idea.

3 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 22, 2019
AsomArchitectNG:

Oh by the way bro, before a doctor will give you advice, you will pay consultation fee. I hope you know that. How many of your clients pay consultation fees for the advice your giving them?

2 Likes

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by mrchineke: 8:12am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

No I am not broke. And it is silly to suggest that seeing that this is a faceless forum.

Second, look around you (I believe you are in Nigeria) and see the shoddiness of buildings, poor finishing, substandard designs, substandard material etc.

What do you think is the major cause?

I don't know how your proverb fits into this narrative.

The bible talks of planning before engaging in a construction process.

Building construction is not cheap anywhere.

Someone recently highlighted why it might be even cheaper to rent your home than to build one at the moment. You should read it.

Please point me to this write up, thanks
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 22, 2019
I have a plot of land for sale for 350k i have already done the 4 corner piece. The land is located at Itori in ogun state. And d road is accessable. Very close to Dangote cement and d new cargo airport.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by midnighter(f): 8:14am On Nov 22, 2019
Lol maybe this should be blasted from all the church pulpits in port Harcourt because this is their PhD project...boys there can never leave somebody's building alone even if you've stayed there for years
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 22, 2019
mrchineke:

Please point me to this write up, thanks

Check @instablog9ja on Instagram. It was a recent article so you may not need to scroll down far before you see it.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Smithwilliams826: 8:18am On Nov 22, 2019
chinavs9ja:
Nice post! The land is of the Lord! It belongs to nobody because the land you are claiming was owned by someone 100years ago. Where are they now? Let us fear God as we handle things like land

Check my signature
The land is of the Lord, we know that. Dey dere dey pretend. Na because say them Neva trouble u.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by timmy2324: 8:27am On Nov 22, 2019
Call sunday ighowo
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by chinavs9ja(m): 8:32am On Nov 22, 2019
Smithwilliams826:
The land is of the Lord, we know that. Dey dere dey pretend. Na because say them Neva trouble u.
What AM I SAYING AND WHAT ARE YOU RESPONDING TO? I AM ADVISING PEOPLE NOT TO CAUSE VIOLENCE ALL BECAUSE OF LAND WHICH BELONGS TO GOD.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by AfroKnight: 8:33am On Nov 22, 2019
SoNature:

[s]Most of the nonsense you see in Nigeria today was learned from Lagos because it's the most talked about, respected and visited state in Nigeria.[/s]

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

Oh by the way bro, before a doctor will give you advice, you will pay consultation fee. I hope you know that. How many of your clients pay consultation fees for the advice your giving them?

Bro am a very reserved person and i don't like to talk/argue too much. Try to read and understand all i have written up there...
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Hantonia(f): 8:54am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

Exactly what I wanted to write. Once the local chief is settled you are free.
this is very true the way does omoonile extort ehen na anoda thing sef my area ehen if it tiles u doing they are coming to collect money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Jaqenhghar: 8:58am On Nov 22, 2019
FrLukas:

No, our job is to provide a service to a client in a way that will make sure we are able to keep our offices open.

Building materials prices flunctuate, but within a range anyway.
Well said. Salute

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Matology: 9:07am On Nov 22, 2019
grin grin
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 22, 2019
Hantonia:
this is very true the way does omoonile extort ehen na anoda thing sef my area ehen if it tiles u doing they are coming to collect money

it is just a very unfortunate situation. but then lawlessness abounds in Nigeria.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 22, 2019
AsomArchitectNG:

Bro am a very reserved person and i don't like to talk/argue too much. Try to read and understand all i have written up there...

we learn everyday bro. I didn't mean any offense.
Re: Land Grabbers: How To Avoid Issues With "Omo Oniles" by BecomeALandLord(m): 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2019
In Lagos, you must settle.
But the settlement is negotiable.

Even the real estate companies settle the Omo Niles on behalf of the clients building.

Talkless of if you buy from the family directly as an individual.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Building A Four Flat: Need All The Help And Advice I Can Get / For sale: Ibafo uncompleted 4bdrms bungalow & House @ Mowe / Buying Land In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.