Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 (15971 Views)

How Abibatu Mogaji (Tinubu's Mother) Welcomed Awolowo From Prison In 1966 / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Gowon & Awolowo Immediately He Was Released From Prison In 1966 (Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by kolaaderin: 12:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

It seems you have difficulties in reading the paper. Let me write it for you in text and lets see what you will say this time arround,

"Yesterday he ordered the release of several western region political prisoners, including Chief Obafemi Awolowo, leader of the Action Group who was jailed for subversion in 1962."
Bros ignore this people. That popular shape is a vital missing brain cells. I repeat Flat shape is a vital and deadly missing brain cells.
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
kolaaderin:
Bros ignore this people. That popular shape is a vital missing brain cells. I repeat Flat shape is a vital and deadly missing brain cells.
Please explain to me very slowly and carefully what is this "flat Shape"

I don't know book
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Difrent: 1:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

You guys first denied the photos!
Then you denied a printout of the New York Times 1966 edition!
Now you are still denying a video proof?

Nnamdi Kanu understood you guys more than I do, infact I just see the reason why almost 70% of a tribe believed Buhari is Jubrin from Sudan.

It's more than 90% of the tribe that believe Buhari is Jubril from Sudan and I'm afraid they will plant this same false narrative to generations unborn just like the awolowo Lies

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Do you have a productive engagement? Why are almost all you posting focused on emflaming the Igbo-Yoruba political enmity? Why are you Ndi-Igbo obsessed but Yorubanissue/interest blind?

LegendHero:
I was involved in an argument with a guy tonight on Nairaland and he was so brainwashed that he believed Ojukwu released Chief Awolowo from prison. Even when I tried showing him the actual prints of the August 5, 1966 edition of the New York Times Newspaper, he still doubted the truth in that assertion.

Most of these guys have been brainwashed by their fore-bearers that Awo betrayed them and their elders made sure they plant the seed of hatred in their children born and unborn by telling them Ojukwu released Awolowo from prison. Many of the folks on the other side still believed this and I think it is now time to kill that false narratives that have been peddled for over 5 decades.

I hope this truth resonates forever among the Awo antagonists born and yet unborn that have been emotionally brainwashed that Ojukwu released Chief Awolowo from prison by their fore-bearers.

Continue to RIP Chief Ọbáfẹ́mi Jeremiah Oyeniyi Awólọ́wọ̀, GCFR ( 6 March 1909 – 9 May 1987)

Video:
Title: Nigeria Chief Awolowo Released From Prison 1966
Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNa4671Yuw

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Thank you my brother, Adebayo like his fellow Yoruba Military of that era were quislings and cowards. Interestingky , in his 80s,he started advocating for the same cause which they agreed on in Auri but could not defend when Boson and the North reneged. They're empty vessel that makes the loudest noise when the horse has left the barn.

Dedetwo:

Who gives a ratass about what the goofy dude said about the release of Awolowo. A man who could not stand with his fellow Oodua brother in Brigadier Ogundipe who would have been the head of state in the absence of Ironsi as Ojukwu had equally insisted. Instead RA Adebayo cowardly bowed to a junior office and tuned into butt leaker of all times . Have you seen where an ordinary police Sargent is giving orders to a police Inspector?

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by horsepower101: 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
LabDNA:

I don't really have anything to prove to you. There is no burden for something that is as clear as daylight. The questions are simply but you are only interested in muddling up issues to sustain your revisionism which is already at a dead end.

Was Awo in prison in the Eastern region? Yes!

Was Eastern region under the direct command of Ojukwu! Yes!

Was Gowon legitimate in eyes of the Ojukwu and the East? No!

Did Ojukwu and the East take orders from Gowon? No!

Was it possible for Gowon to influence what happened in the East who saw him as illegitimate after killing Eastern officers! No!

Did Gowon command and control the police, prisons, and military in the East? No!

Who did? Ojukwu!

If Ojukwu controlled the Eastern military, paramilitary and prisons, then who unlocked the prison doors for Awo? Could it have been 'illegitimate Gowon' No!

Who did then? The man who controlled the Eastern military and administrative apparatuses, Ojukwu!

Anyone who can't get this simple issue very clear after breaking it down like biscuit-bones, is a lost cause. Revisionism can't work in this issue.

BTW, this is the one of Awo's book in my office right now in one of branches the others are at home.

My brother at this point, it’s not worth arguing with a revisionist. He has no evidence on his side but he will argue with you for the next 1000 years if he could live that long.

Thank you for setting the records straight for the younger children on Nairaland who are vulnerable to propaganda.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
Please how does a military coup have control over a region if the legitimacy of the coup is challenged and the leadership not recognized? Military coup is a illegal venture. It succeeds if It is able to overcome every opposition and suppress any challenge. If it fails, the existence of such government is endangered. Northern counter-coup did not succeed in the Eastern Region because Ojukwu refused to recognize Gowon and insisted on Ogundipe given the "disappearance" of Ironsi. It succeeded in the West. It only succeeded in the Eastern Region after the "fall" of Biafra in 1970.

LegendHero:

I’m even tired of engaging them coz it’s evident they are just online trolls.

How would anyone say Gowon did not superintend over Nigeria after the counter coup of July 29, 1966.

Ironsi came to power as a result of the first coup that killed other regions leaders in January 1966 which was far more bloody and yet he still ruled as the Nigeria head of state over all regions.

How then will any sane thinking person say Gowon that came in as a result of a counter coup do not have power over the Eastern region Government just 5 days after the coup!

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
Why would Ojukwu declare Biafra? Was Biafra in the mind of Ojukwu and Ndi-Igbo at that material time? Do you actually understand the circumstances that led to North of Biafra?

LegendHero:

Help me also ask him why Ojukwu had to wait for over one year before he could declare Biafra when he was already in control of the Eastern region 5 days after the coup as the guy wanted us to believe.

I don’t know who gave children phones.

He said he read lot of books about Awolowo. I asked him to provide me the book name and I will ask him some of the section of the book.

He has been researching online since coz it’s evident he ain’t replying. He should keep on searching and I am sure he won’t be able to lay his hand on the book online except he tries purchasing them on the bookstore.

I’m still waiting for him

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
You are a pathological liar. Ojukwu challenged the legitimacy of Gowon not just from the beginning, but while the counter pup was still unfolding.

0monnak0da:
Exactly and more importantly why would he do that at that specific time
Things were still developing and Ojukwu had not even challenged the authority or legitimacy of Gowon and the new regime

So if we are to believe he did it then it must have been really incredible foresight on his part which makes absolutely no sense when you consider that he did not meet Awo after the release for photo ops and propaganda

The reality is that Gowon issued the order and it was obeyed

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Uchek(m): 1:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ojukwu was foolish! Ok l agree with you. Today who is foolish between Ojukwu and all the "One Nigeria" wise men who fought against him - beginning from the prayer warrior Gowon. Ojukwu is having the last laugh on Nigeria.

You blissfully and gleefully ahistorical!

AkeNathan:

Ojukwu was foolish.

Gowon used the services of all surviving first republic Politicians to his advantage. He gave them seats at his Council and they served as Advisors and Strategists to him.

Awolowo, and the rest of them.

Ojukwu on the other hand, either placed first republic politicians from East on House Arrests, or simply ignored him.

Even Danjuma was thrilled to the Press when he recaptured the home of Aja Nwachuku and wondered WHY Ojukwu would place a former Ambassador to UN on house arrest.

Zik and the rest of them who could influence world powers and provide advise were also ignored.

In the end, it was Awo strategy of using the SS and banning food import that helped Nigeria win the war.

What pride and over-confidence can cause.
Never undermine your elders.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 1:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
LabDNA:

I don't really have anything to prove to you. There is no burden for something that is as clear as daylight. The questions are simply but you are only interested in muddling up issues to sustain your revisionism which is already at a dead end.

Was it possible for Gowon to influence what happened in the East who saw him as illegitimate after killing Eastern officers! No!

Did Gowon command and control the police, prisons, and military in the East? No!

Who did? Ojukwu!

If Ojukwu controlled the Eastern military, paramilitary and prisons, then who unlocked the prison doors for Awo? Could it have been 'illegitimate Gowon' No!

Who did then? The man who controlled the Eastern military and administrative apparatuses, Ojukwu!

Anyone who can't get this simple issue very clear after breaking it down like biscuit-bones, is a lost cause. Revisionism can't work in this issue.

BTW, this is the one of Awo's book in my office right now in one of branches the others are at home.

Was asleep before.

So You’re showing me a book published in 1960. So how will this relay the events of 1966 and beyond?

The work was completed in 1960, the year Nigeria gained its long-awaited independence. Accordingly, the autobiography is dedicated to a 'new and free Nigeria', with the trust that its people will enjoy 'a more abundant life'.

I’m ashamed of you!

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Omoodua007: 2:07pm On Nov 21, 2019
Akiara:
You know the truth..and as regards osibanjo ....he is a typical example of a Yoruba backstabbing slave that has been discovered to be useless by your Northern masters

Another goal post shift
The same position your peter obi failed to get loooooool

5 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 2:47pm On Nov 21, 2019
chiedozie198100:
yorubas and their penchant for lies.

awolowo even thanked ojukwu publicly for his release. he was hosted in Enugu, where he declared that if Biafra broke away, the west had no choice than to follow.

only for the master liar to cross over to the west and turned coat.

attempting to rewrite history is borderline INSANITY.

Can you give us any evidence for this?

4 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
LabDNA:

Who did? Ojukwu!

The award for the dumbest Igbo man should go to you even igbos are known to be very dumb?

Gowon had no control over the eastern region?

Aguiyi even operated a unitary system of government.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
chiedozie198100:

and he was wearing prison clothes to go see gowon,
he wore the prison clothes all the way from enugu, and went straight to dodan barracks to go shake hands with the head of state? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
What power does a state governor have to release a federal prisoner? Can tsmbuwal release dasuki?

You igbos are very dumb for even believing this stupid lie.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

To break his people away

Tell tambuwal to release daduki you dumb fool.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Akiara:
You see why you afonjizi mupets are brainless? Gowan as HOS wasn't recognised by Ojukwu. With the deaths in the North the SE broke away from Nigeria and was recognised as a sovereign nation by other countries. With their Own currency,Anthem and mannerisms.

How can Gowan release a man held in another country? Gowan should have freed Banjo who Ojukwu executed. You people are pathetic...spits

Yoruba GET SENSE!

He didn’t recognize Gowon but had aburi accord with him?

So eastern Nigeria operated as a sovereign nation for a year before declaring Biafra in 1967?

Remember aguiyi had proclaimed a unitary decree meaning east was no longer a semi autonomous region.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by mrvitalis(m): 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
ProudDick:

Tell tambuwal to release daduki you dumb fool.
The president is in charge tambuwal recognize the president ......if tambuwal had a the army ,police n every force loyal to him he can do that

U really don't get it ...Gowon had no influence in the east till the war ended

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 3:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
Uchek:
Why would Ojukwu declare Biafra? Was Biafra in the mind of Ojukwu and Ndi-Igbo at that material time? Do you actually understand the circumstances that led to North of Biafra?

Why would ojukwu release Awo just four days after Gowon became head of state? Something he didn’t do for six months earlier? And why did he do that?

Was the comptroller general of prisons also not recognize Gowon? What concerns ojukwu with a federal prisoner in a federal prison?

If ojukwu didn’t recognize Gowon as head of state, why did he sit with him to have aburi accord?

We started unitary system under aguiyi, how was the east governing itself outside of Nigeria even when he had not declared Biafra until one year later?

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 3:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
Uchek:

He didn’t declare Biafra but was releasing federal prisoners. How dumb is that? Can tambuwal release dasuki because he is kept in sokoto prison?

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
Afonjas at it again, very useless bunch of backstabbing fools.

Shady and unreliable lots.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

The president is in charge tambuwal recognize the president ......if tambuwal had a the army ,police n every force loyal to him he can do that

The army in the east was not Biafran army. They comprised of different tribes. How would they be loyal to ojukwu? Was the comptroller general of prisons not recognized Gowon as well? You mean every Nigerian institutions in the east disobeyed Gowon because of ojukwu? Why were igbos spending Nigerian currency and taking salaries from Nigeria?

Gowon need not be in calabar. He only needed to order a proclamation for his release which was adhered to. Had nothing to do with ojukwu.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ardar:

This pig is frustrated.

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

And when he does that, dasuki would walk straight to Aso rock to meet buhari.

It sucks to be Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Uchek:

Very Good
The fact is that within 48 hours of Gowon's order Awolowo was in Lagos.
So did Ojukwu ,as you claim, release Awolowo on his own initiative or did he do so in response to Gowon's order?

Awolowo was convicted of a Federal offence and in a federal prison why then would it be Ojukwu's remit as Regional governor to release him?

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 3:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ardar:

Who dash this Nnamdi Kanu brainwashed disciple phone to type?

Ojucrook of unblessed memory will be ashamed of what his people have become in his grace.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
ProudDick:

This pig is frustrated.

Says someone who's tribe is known for their dirtiness. Was it not the other day that your cursed people were scooping groundnut oil from the gutter?

Nasty lying freaks.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ardar:

Says someone who's tribe is known for their dirtiness. Was it not the other day that your cursed people were scooping groundnut oil from the gutter?

Nasty lying freaks.

Nawa o. Who the bleep dash this kid a phone for heaven sake.

Go and give the phone back to your mummy!

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 3:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:

Very Good
The fact is that within 48 hours of Gowon's order Awolowo was in Lagos.
So did Ojukwu ,as you claim, release Awolowo on his own initiative or did he do so in response to Gowon's order?

Awolowo was convicted of a Federal offence and in a federal prison why then would it be Ojukwu's remit as Regional governor to release him?

Ask them to present just one source to back their claim.

Just one credible source to back their claim that:
1. Gowon do not have power over the eastern region 5 days after the counter coup.

2. Any credible sources that showed Ojukwu gave the order for Awolowo to be released

3. If number 2 is correct, any picture to back up the claim showing Ojukwu and Awolowo. Normally he (Awo) should have visited Ojukwu the moment he was released from prison as a mark of gratefulness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by mrvitalis(m): 3:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
ProudDick:

And when he does that, dasuki would walk straight to Aso rock to meet buhari.

It sucks to be Igbo.
You are really not smart u a comparing a state government to a regional head that the coup that brought the head of state failed in his region

U are not smart at all ...if Gowon had such control ...why the war then

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by mrvitalis(m): 3:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
ProudDick:

The army in the east was not Biafran army. They comprised of different tribes. How would they be loyal to ojukwu? Was the comptroller general of prisons not recognized Gowon as well? You mean every Nigerian institutions in the east disobeyed Gowon because of ojukwu? Why were igbos spending Nigerian currency and taking salaries from Nigeria?

Gowon need not be in calabar. He only needed to order a proclamation for his release which was adhered to. Had nothing to do with ojukwu.
And ojuckwu allowed it
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 3:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

You are really not smart u a comparing a state government to a regional head that the coup that brought the head of state failed in his region

U are not smart at all ...if Gowon had such control ...why the war then

Can you present just one source to back your claim?.

Just one credible source to back their claim that:
1. Gowon do not have power over the eastern region 5 days after the counter coup.

2 . Any credible sources that showed Ojukwu gave the order for Awolowo to be released

3. If number 2 is correct, any picture to back up the claim showing Ojukwu and Awolowo. Normally he (Awo) should have visited Ojukwu the moment he was released from prison as a mark of gratefulness.

You’ve been on this since few hours ago. Can you please provide a source to back your claim?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Presidency Shared N22.4m To Chibok Parents, Escaped Girls -community / Election: Beware Of Social Media Results – INEC / Imo Bail Out Funds: "N1 Billion Deducted From Imo Monthly Allocation"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.