Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 (15962 Views)

How Abibatu Mogaji (Tinubu's Mother) Welcomed Awolowo From Prison In 1966 / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Gowon & Awolowo Immediately He Was Released From Prison In 1966 (Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by joeyfire(m): 6:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
ProudDick:

But you saw him on prison uniform.
What concerns ojukwu with a federal prisoner? Does buhari needs tambuwal approval before releasing dasuki? Was the federal prison under the control of ojukwu?

So you think the prison chief warder can release Awolowo, the leader of the Yorubas without the Governor of the region knowing about it? In a military regime? Not possible.

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 6:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
joeyfire:

So you think the prison chief warder can release Awolowo, the leader of the Yorubas without the Governor of the region knowing about it? In a military regime? Not possible.

What is actually your conculsion?

Was it that Gowon ordered the release of Awolowo and Ojukwu obliged or you mean Ojukwu actually released Awo himself?

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by mercyville: 6:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
mrvitalis:

And u believed if ojukwu was not aware that would happen ? ...he had absolute power in the eastern region

Awolowo betrayed ojukwu after he freed him ,was used n dumped by Gowon ...u guys can't spin the truth

Now go to work

The dates have already done justice to the argument.Gowon came to power on the 1st of August 1966 but Biafra was declared on May,30th 1967.The obvious is that Gowon released Awolowo.
Ojukwu,I bet still had a little more intelligence than you and wouldn't release Awo and allow him to go to Lagos.He knew that he was a gem that could have helped Biafra to win the war.
He knew how valuable Yorubas were that he made friends with Prof Aluko.He released Banjo from prison and made him the overall leader of the Biafran army.Do you think he will release Awolowo and allow him to go back to Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
This is the same Ojukwu asking the govenment to return to Nigeria after he was in exile in 1979. You will clearly see that his desires to rule made him embark on a pointless war that costed all of us our unity. He was still keen on becoming a ruler of parliament in a country he fought against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWM8OvgEE24&feature=youtu.be

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Xbee007(m): 6:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ardar:
Afonjas at it again, very useless bunch of backstabbing fools.

Shady and unreliable lots.
Wow, this level of hatred. grin grin
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 6:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
Also this is the moment Chief Awolowo was Jailed.

His words: speaking from the dock before sentence was passed, commented:
"It is an irony of history that as one of the architects of Nigerian independence i have spent almost half of Nigeria's three-year independence in confinement."

The charges brought against him were treasonable felony, conspiracy and firearms' possession. last night police used tear gas and truncheons to break up groups of the chief's supporters.near the main prison tear gas was also used to disperse crowds.some arrests were made.the trial was climaxed by the mounting of one of the biggest security operations in Nigeria's history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=App4RqMhikY&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by joeyfire(m): 6:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

What is actually your conculsion?

Was it that Gowon ordered the release of Awolowo and Ojukwu obliged or you mean Ojukwu actually released Awo himself?

I answered this question in my first post on this thread. Kindly answer the question. Can the chief warder Calabar prisons release Awo without the Governor knowing about it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 6:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
joeyfire:

I answered this question in my first post on this thread. Kindly answer the question. Can the chief warder Calabar prisons release Awo without the Governor knowing about it?

It does not matter whether the governor knows or not. The chief warder of Calabar prison (a federal one) take orders from the Supreme military council leader and he will follow orders either the governor of the region knows about it or not.

Just like Buhari can give command for any federal prisoner in Kirikiri to be released and Sanwo-olu will dare not question the directive.

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

I don't dialogue with Nnamdi Kanu disciples. It is evident you took after your supreme commander.

Hence stop quoting me if you don't have any meaningful contribution to this thread. Also this is the last time I will reply you on this thread.

Gracias!

You must really be a joke.
You created falsehood and expected dialogue.

World of fantasies.

All I know is that Obafemi Awolowo made a mortal mistake of assuming he can poke Igbos without consequences......and of course he died regretting it.

5 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by MetaPhysical: 6:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
I would advise my Ibo brothers to start making fact-based claims.

All your false-claims have been busted one by one by Yoruba. It might take them a while but with persistence they unravel the truth and slap it in your face. It makes you look bad and non-credible with historical facts.

4 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Omoodua007: 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2019
Akiara:
Peter Obi hasn't been this disgraced as osibanjo. A known errand boy. Tufiakwa!

o

You mean peter obi China akobata of atiku that failed

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by MetaPhysical: 6:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

It does not matter whether the governor knows or not. The chief warder of Calabar prison (a federal one) take orders from the Supreme military council leader and he will follow orders either the governor of the region knows about it or not.

Just like Buhari can give command for any federal prisoner in Kirikiri to be released and Sanwo-olu will dare not question the directive.

They know this to be true but they are trying to save face by throwing curve balls hoping their lies can be covered with more lies and illogical twists.

They do not see problem with Ironsi as Supreme leader issuing and enforcing decree 34 and destroying regional government but if Gowon, as Supreme leader ordered release of Awolowo they dont believe it is possible.

6 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 6:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
MetaPhysical:

They know this to be true but they are trying to save face by throwing curve balls hoping their lies can be covered with more lies and illogical twists.

They do not see problem with Ironsi as Supreme leader issuing and enforcing decree 34 and destroying regional government but if Gowon, as Supreme leader ordered release of Awolowo they dont believe it is possible.

Lol, dont mind them. Normally I should have stopped answering them since page 3 of this thread but that will give them more power to peddle the false narratives.

This is their modu operandi.
Deny the truth to the end even if you are taken back in time in the face of strong evidence.
Bring out personal assertions to try to bend the truth and invalidate its authenticity.
Resort to personal abuse to digress the author from the subject matter and pollute the thread.
Lastly, make sure you keep lying, lying, lying, and never budge anytime to accept any truth.

I even have the video where Gowon convened the national conference in Lagos in September 13th, 1966 with all the regions represented. He was trying to ask the way forward from Nigerians and what mode of government system we wish to practice. How was he be able to convey that conference without him having control over Calabar prison a month earlier.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Jimasun: 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
eagleu:
Is there any historical dispute about where Awolowo was held? Calabar, and Abakaliki prisons

Is there any dispute about where Calabar and Abakaliki belonged during the war

Is there any dispute about who controlled the police, army and prison services in Calabar and Abakaliki at the time Awolowo was released?

Calabar and Abakaliki did not fall to the Nigerian army at the time Awolowo was released.

Why is there even a question about who released Awolowo when we knew where he was being held?

When did NY times become gospel truth?
What a MUMU you are.
Awolowo was released a year before Biafra war started.
There was no dispute then about who controls the prison service
Igbos are the only human being I have ever seen to stand logic on its head

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Johans1991: 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
Akiara:
So Gowan was Ojukwus his friend after overseeing the massacre of returning Igbo?

So Gowan had control of Prisons in region that had seceded? You Y.A.R.I.B.A morons think foolishly. When ISIL was beheading foreign nationals why didn't the Iraqi Government ask for release of the prisoners as the prisons are actually owned by iraqi Government.

It's a pity that the 'hydraulic' watery soup your ancestors passed down to you has remained the reason why you are unable to comprehend simple logic.

Go and cry yourself to sleep. your education was a waste...

see mumu, pls tell me when was that region seceded.
The day any eastern governor or all d south east governors release the ipob prisoners then I will believed the rubbish said by these pigs.
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Jimasun: 7:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
I can't wait for 2023.
We will teach these yanmiris a bitter lesson

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Johans1991: 7:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
Akiara:
grin grin grin
So Gowan had the powers in 1966 and Ojukwu had powers in 1967? So in 1966 who was the Governor of the Eastern Region?

Y.A.R.I.B.A....illiteracy is a disease. Tufia!!!

so the governor was more powerful than the President in a unity government abi? You must be a fuuu.....l to even think of that rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by MetaPhysical: 7:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

Lol, dont mind them. Normally I should have stopped answering them since page 3 of this thread but that will give them more power to peddle the false narratives.

This is their modu operandi.
Deny the truth to the end even if you are taking back in time in the face of strong evidence.
Bring out personal assertions to try to bend the truth and invalidate its authenticity.
Resort to personal abuse to digress the author from the subject matter and pollute the thread.
Lastly, make sure you keep lying, lying, lying, and never budge anytime to accept any truth.

I even have the video where Gowon convened the national conference in Lagos in September 13th, 1966 with all the regions represented. He was trying to ask the way forward from Nigerians and what mode of government system we wish to practice. How was he be able to convey that conference without him having control over Calabar prison a month earlier.

Im glad you did not stop my brother. In fact, im even shocked at myself....i have only said two things on this thread. We go blow this thing open soon.

Im sure you are aware how far they have gone in making this issue a record of history and stuck to their faksehood that Ojukwu released Awo. Until you came along and debunk it now.

You killed two things with this video -

That -
1. The coup plotters wanted to enthrone Awo. This video proves it is a lie.

2. Ojukwu, not Gowon authorized Awo's release. This video proves it is wrong.

There are many records of history like this that we need to debunk.

Things like -
Ojukwu's father was Chairman of Lagos Stock Exchange.
We have not found record that supports it.

Ojukwu father bankrolled World War, we have not found rwcorda to support it.

Ojukwu was first rolls royce owner and the Queen came on visit to Nigeria because of him. That she was his guest.
There is no record to prove it.

That Olaudah Equinao was an Iboman.

There are many more Ibo claims to be scrutinized and inspected for its validity.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Xbee007(m): 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
LabDNA:

Like many of your brothers you have an integrity problem and enjoy standing logic on it's head.

Did the bolded in the second statement not come from you as a challenge to claims of my readership of any of Awo's book?

I caught you off guard, now you twist facts in the characteristic manner your people are famous for?

Goodness!

I don't usually get involved in this sort of argument but you misled people, myself inclusive, when you posted the picture of that book.
If you read his post in its entirety and you're honest to yourself, you will conclude that he was requesting for a book of Awolowo that you've read that aludes to Ojukwu releasing Awo. Because that was the crux of this argument.
Instead, you posted a book published in 1960 and never alluded to that fact.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 7:15pm On Nov 21, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Im glad you did not stop my brother. In fact, im even shocked at myself....i have only said two things on this thread. We go blow this thing open soon.

Im sure you are aware how far they have gone in making this issue a record of history and stuck to their faksehood that Ojukwu released Awo. Until you came along and debunk it now.

That -

Things like -

Ojukwu was first rolls royce owner and the Queen came on visit to Nigeria because of him. That she was his guest.

There are many more Ibo claims to be scrutinized and inspected for its validity.

Sorry but like with many things on Nairaland we have been here before. This is deja vu

https://www.nairaland.com/3543658/did-ojukwu-release-awolowo-prison

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by revolt(m): 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Waterview:
You're a complete fool, so Gen. Buhari the chief commander cannot release a prisoner kept in Abia prison?

in this case Gowon was the head of state, he has the right to release Awolowo, Gowon was more powerful than your coward Ojukwu who disguised as a woman after puting millions of Igbos in trouble.

just burry your head in a bag full of dicks, shame.
oga ALL FEDERAL establishments had been taken over by the eastern regional government. Th as ts why the federal govt had to institute police action<the civil war>
Do you people even read history.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 7:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
MetaPhysical:

That -

Things like -

I will start debunking them one by one. I will just need to tap into one or two resources and will get those sources that will attest or deny that ridiculous claim of theirs.

We Yorubas have been silent for too long such that these people bank on that to regurgitate false narratives and happenings that never occurred to convince the populace.

Do you even know NNamdi Azikwe was on the ballot in 1983? I have a video of him campaigning in Lagos on May 18,1983 . Ekwueme was on one hand frolicking with the Fulanis (Shagari) while Azikwe was on the other hand dividing Awo's vote in the south.

These guys think we don't know all the attrocities their fore-bearers committed, they most time hide under the persecution complex about the civil war which made most Nigeria show sympathy for their cause and made people believe the ridiculous statements they churn out.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by Johans1991: 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
gidgiddy:

Back in the day, we had the Regional system of government, not the state structure we have today. In the Regional structure, the Regional are very powerful, almost as powerful as the centre, if not more powerful. But the state structure, as we practice today, the states are very weak while the centre is all powerful.

When Ironsi came to power, he was the most senior officer and head of the Army. He appointed the Regional Military Governors who were duty bound to obey him as a senior officer. But when Gowon came to power, not only did he have many who were senior to him, including Ojukwu, none of them were duty bound to obey Gowon nor recognize him as head of state since they were senior to him in rank.

Gowon was parading himself as head of state in Lagos but in truth, most of the Regions did not recognize as so. So Gowon had no power over Ojukwu in the East. That's one the reasons for of the Aburi meeting. Having a weak centre and strong Regions is the reason Gowon abolished the 4 Regions, created states which in turn led to the war
you forget that Nigeria was not under regional government then, ironsi had already turned regional to unity government.
Secondly, in the military there is this saying "YOUR RANK IS YOUR AGE" as far as they promoted your junior to a rank higher than yours,you must I mean MUST take directives from him even if you senior him with 100yrs in d service.
Lastly, a governor have no right to release a federal prisoner without d permission of the president. For example, no south east governor have the right to release the ipob prisoners that are in prison now.

4 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 7:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
Xbee007:

I don't usually get involved in this sort of argument but you misled people, myself inclusive, when you posted the picture of that book.
If you read his post in its entirety and you're honest to yourself, you will conclude that he was requesting for a book of Awolowo that you've read that aludes to Ojukwu releasing Awo. Because that was the crux of this argument.
Instead, you posted a book published in 1960 and never alluded to that fact.

God bless you bro.

I would have stopped replying him but if I don't keep replying they will use their usual method of bending truth by churning out lies.

He first dropped that pics to confuse people about the subject matter, when I told him that book was published in 1960, he was mute and digressed towards appealing to integrity. Awo was released in 1966, how will a book published in 1960 talk about his release?

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
revolt:
oga ALL FEDERAL establishments had been taken over by the eastern regional government. Th as ts why the federal govt had to institute police action<the civil war>
Do you people even read history.

When was Awolowo released? When did the civil war started? When did the military government declare police action? when did Ojukwu took control of federal establishments in the East?

Go online and search for the dates of the above scenarios and come back here to apologize to people for being so ignorant about your nation history!

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
Awolowo's release was officially ordered and announced by

Government Notice No. 1207/1966 ordering the release of Awo on August 2, 1966

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 7:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by MetaPhysical: 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:

Sorry but like with many things on Nairaland we have been here before. This is deja vu

https://www.nairaland.com/3543658/did-ojukwu-release-awolowo-prison

Wow! I cant believe this! That thread was dated 2016!!! So why are they still denying the truth? grin

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by ProudDick: 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
gidgiddy:

That's the version of the Lagos/Ibadan under the bridge media.

Tell us your own aba under the heap of dirts media.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by MetaPhysical: 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:

Awolowo's release was officially ordered and announced by

Government Notice No. 1207/1966 ordering the release of Awo on August 2, 1966

Are they blind, they cant see and reference the govt order? Why do they keep denying it? angry

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by LegendHero(m): 7:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
0monnak0da:
https://www.nairaland.com/3543658/did-ojukwu-release-awolowo-prison/2

Nice one, I saw this thread also and thank you for creating it.

You would agree with me that they still denied you and your folks assertion up to the 6th page on that thread until a username "Nobody" uploaded the pics of Gowon and Awo after being freed.

If you look critically, that picture he uploaded was a screenshot of the video I uploaded today. He was able to only get the pics that time which they denied and I was totally dumbfounded when they also attempted to deny a video evidence today.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 by 0monnak0da: 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
LegendHero:

Nice one, I saw this thread also and thank you for creating it.

You would agree with me that they still denied you and your folks assertion up to the 6th page on that thread until a username "Nobody" uploaded the pics of Gowon and Awo after being freed.

If you look critically, that picture he uploaded was a screenshot of the video I uploaded today. He was able to only get the pics that time which they denied and I was totally dumbfounded when they also attempted to deny a video evidence today.
Ees not a small sometin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Buhari Condemns Attack On Ortom, Says Incident Should Not Be Politicised / Communique Issued At The End Of The Meeting Of Pdp Governors Forum Held In Abuja / Osinbajo Arrives Adamawa To Visit IDP Camps In The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.