Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

How Profitable Is Eatery Business? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Profitable Is Eatery Business? (15970 Views)

Partnership In Eatery Business In Ikorodu / How Profitable Is Doughnut Business? / How Profitable Is A4 Papers Distribution Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Topmaike007(m): 7:43am On Nov 26, 2019
In as much you're in Abuja and you want to start eatery biz let me just welcome you to the millionaire club

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by DexterousOne(m): 7:44am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:
I am thinking of starting an eatery on a low budget in my area in abuja. There is nothing like that in the area. The area is busy and has lots of traffic. The place will be a cool place where people can come in and take snacks and drinks. i am thinking of renting and joining 2 shops to achieve this with transparent glass and tv.

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Is it profitable and what are the challenges?

If your food tastes good
And it's of good quality

That's the most important

Though I will.advice you to stylishly understudy some restaurants

There may be some hidden overheads that eats into profitability
So it's best you know that
Before going into biz

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2019
Very profitable, if you know the ways of making profit(price fixing etc)
But you have to determine what kind of restaurant you want to open
A la carte or A walk-in restaurant

You can reach out to me for more details

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by herakles: 7:45am On Nov 26, 2019
ednut1:
Better to open mama put. Eatery of 2 shops no be eatery o

if you have nothing good to say, I suggest you hold your peace angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Gracespecial101(m): 7:46am On Nov 26, 2019
It Seems is.
In a place like Abuja

Only the rent will be high sha
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Kobicove(m): 7:48am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:
I am thinking of starting an eatery on a low budget in my area in abuja. There is nothing like that in the area. The area is busy and has lots of traffic. The place will be a cool place where people can come in and take snacks and drinks. i am thinking of renting and joining 2 shops to achieve this with transparent glass and tv.

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Is it profitable and what are the challenges?

Eatery business is always profitable especially if you choose a good location with a lot of pedestrian traffic.

Just make sure your internal control is strong otherwise your staff will steal you blind!

3 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by TheDauraMallam: 7:49am On Nov 26, 2019
MasterRahl:
angry
@Flakky26, since you say there's no competition, and the area is pretty busy, you can go ahead and start it. I'll advise on two things:

1. Make sure your eatery is always clean. Dirty eateries with flies are a huge turn off. Always be there to clean the table immediately one customer leaves.

2.Cook tasty foods. If your meals are delicious, your customers will help you advertise your eatery free of charge.

No add too much maggi o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by bluefilm: 7:53am On Nov 26, 2019
Very!

But it comes with the added stress!!!

Bonne chance!
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by micflo28(m): 8:01am On Nov 26, 2019
Please dear where in abuja. We can partner. I am in Wuse2
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 26, 2019
mployer:
If you don't have experience plus plenty cash, don't dare.

Start up cost is high.
1. Rent
2. Generator
3. Television sets
4. Seats and table(good ones)
5. Renovation of space

Overhead cost is high:
1. Rent cost(big space)
2. Staff salary
3. Fuel for generator
4. DStv
5. PHCN charges (business line)

At the end people will want to pay same amount they pay on roadside restaurant.

Thats not true, when you equip your eatery and its neat, colorful and very comfy you can charge a bit higher than roadside restaurant and people will still troop in, let your food be sweet sha.

Ma'am don't let anyone discourage you its a very good idea since there is no one in the area, as a matter of fact hurry, but let the finishing be dope.
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by kene05(m): 8:06am On Nov 26, 2019
It's a very sensitive business, though profitable.. Like there are many factors to consider..
1. Customer relations : it's very crucial especially for a starters.. Your workers must endeavour to ask customers if they like d meal, they are satisfied with the services rendered and make the customers know that there is room for improvement pertaining whatsoever complaints.
2. Management : As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the key issues to take note of in an eatery, its very easy to mismanage if not well followed up.. For example when ur workers don't microwave the snacks wen due.. A cold meatpie could be a big turnoff and when one customer get a negative result it goes a long way to hundreds of customers, because he or she will tell family and friends about the awful experience.
In a nutshell, it's a profitable and lucrative business, but also very sensitive one... Make sure you are always available there to address matters arising.. Good luck

5 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by kushercain: 8:07am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:

Very profitable. You know man can't go a day without eating. Where as every other thing is secondary.
One thing I'll advice is, you should set a class apart for yourself by maintaining the best possible hygiene possible.
Your workers should have nose masks and hair covers whenever standing over naked food. Also be gloved up when handling food. Little things like this play a great part on the costumer's perspective and quickly turn one time costumers to regular.
Best of luck

2 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by KIDfurniture(m): 8:19am On Nov 26, 2019
Best business idea... your friends who moved abroad will envy you by the time you don dey established . It will get to a point, I go employ cooks and chef and new outlets will be born
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by ned009(m): 8:20am On Nov 26, 2019
Depending on the Environment
How busy or populated the area is..
And most importantly, you need a very good inventory officer as well cuz when ur perishables start loosing their values...trust me its gon really cost you.
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by fk001(m): 8:21am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:

Which location in Abuja do you want to open the eatery? Is it Wuse, Garki Area 1 maitama or outskirt of Abuja.

I will advice you to open it at Wuse it is a very busy area, and there are many clubs at that location, you will make lot of profit if you will operate at night.

Maitama along Gana street is also good for eatery business but only if you have lot of capital to rent and establish the business.

Area1 cost of renting is bit low compare to wuse and maitama, and it is a very busy area but the cost of your chops will not be high like that of wuse and maitama, due to obvious reasons.

Asokoro is a no no, the place be like grave yard (but is safe and I like it) is not good for business. unless you want to open at AYA or Asokoro village.

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by extremelygolden: 8:24am On Nov 26, 2019
What do you mean by eatery? A place you sell only snacks and drinks, a place you sell only food and drinks, or a place you sell snacks, food and drinks?

In this economy where many people are barely trying to survive, I would prefer you open a restaurant where you will sell "bellyfulling" kind of dishes and drinks, including water.

A paid employer who probably has budgeted let's say N500 for food every week day in the office, will prefer eating food that will sustain him until he gets home in the evening rather than taking a bite of meat pie and coke, which to me is junk and is even more expensive.

So kindly define what you mean by eatery.

Whichever you've chosen, I wish you best of luck.

3 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by hinere(m): 8:33am On Nov 26, 2019
You want to go into selling of snacks and drinks...that's good. OK please listen let me tell you a true story....
One woman in my area had a snack shop. In fact it was just a small shop with small tables and chairs. She had a fridge where she stored cold drinks aswell. In front of her shop, she bought a show glass where she kept all her snacks for display. My brothers and sisters... There is no way you will pass that woman's shop without your eyes entering those snacks in the show glass... In fact it would be as if the snacks would be calling you sef. When you finally taste the snacks, delicious was there second name and they were very cheap. You can even buy and order for drinks while you chill in the Air Conditioned shop.
That woman was making money because she was on the road.

Bottom line....
Start Small
Make sure your snacks are delicious.
Let them be cheap or should I say affordable for the common man. E get why cassava flakes (garri) dey sell pass cornflakes... All na flakes...
Cleanliness is a huge factor.
Make sure your drinks are cold. Get coolers and buy Ice block
Get a show glass where you will put your snacks and it should be warm at all times.
Location... Try and be on the road where people ply or be in front of a big secondary school where you can have large number of students patronising you.
Customer Service is Key. Smile and be friendly.
Start with like 2 workers, one will be selling while the other will be helping you to fry.
Above all pray... It's God that brings customers...
Remember food business is one of the best business becos even person wey no get money must chop.
I wish you the best.

4 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:39am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26,
It is profitable but can be very stressful.

try to make sure your food including ingredients used in preparation is always fresh and delicious (consistently above average standard).

Try your best to avoid serving reheated, warmed, stale or spoiled food to customers. This is the most difficult. If u get this one right, u will earn long-term customer loyalty.

Strike a balance between resource expenditure while trying to please your customers and prudent management of resources for profitability of your business. Food cost should not be more than 30%.

Use classy furniture, utensils and equipment for your establishment.

Always consistently at all times maintain high standards of hygiene at the kitchen where the food will be prepared and at the restaurant where the guest will eat their meal.

Make sure the ingredients such as meat for example used in preparation of your meals are of the highest quality.

If you implement all these with good customer relations, customers will not mind spending big as long as they trust your food. you will be in business for a long time. With time, in addition to the walk-in guests you are getting, you will even start getting outside catering contracts.

Also make sure you know how to cook very well. At least have a sound knowledge of our local dishes. If you don't know how to prepare international cuisine please hire someone who can. Probably an experienced Professional Chef.

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Jeffy1206(m): 8:40am On Nov 26, 2019
It's very lucrative in Abuja. However, I'll advise you make your food affordable and tasty... Cook continental dishes with enough orishirishi... Leave the rest for customers grin... I'm just saying as a potential customer o wink
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Factfinder1(m): 8:41am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:

I'm a consultant in Abuja and can help with the business plan...if you have enough cash to invest
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by cardoctor(m): 8:43am On Nov 26, 2019
Which area in Abuja?
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by lonelydora: 8:44am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:

Food and drink business are businesses you make more than 100% as gain.

Drop a contact, i will give you some tips on how to run it successfully.
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by einsteine(m): 8:51am On Nov 26, 2019
People shouting it's profitable like they have done the business before.

Consider the cost of rent which is an important cost for non mama put type settings.

2 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 26, 2019
TheDauraMallam:

No add too much maggi o
Hahahahaha. Una no go kill me with laugh
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Greenback: 9:05am On Nov 26, 2019
Flakky26:
Hello

Hi...good idea.
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by samwise180(m): 9:11am On Nov 26, 2019
dayleke:
You never know until you try.....
#justsaying
Good luck to you.
If you never try you will never know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by sunkoye: 9:13am On Nov 26, 2019
Any business that ensure humans survival will be profitable. Sustainability is key to us!
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Flakky26(f): 9:13am On Nov 26, 2019
What kind of menu should i start with? Should i start with snacks first or snacks and food at the same time ?

Kritique:
Very very profitable, just make sure your recipe is consistent
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Flakky26(f): 9:15am On Nov 26, 2019
The area is a suburb part of abuja where shop rent is 80 to 100k per annum. i am looking at starting with 2 hops or with one shop plus front extension with glass.

einsteine:
People shouting it's profitable like they have done the business before.

Consider the cost of rent which is an important cost for non mama put type settings.

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Flakky26(f): 9:18am On Nov 26, 2019
Thanks ,i will definitely hire a cook and waiters . because i wont be there full time.

VeeVeeMyLuv:
Flakky26,
It is profitable but can be very stressful.

try to make sure your food including ingredients used in preparation is always fresh and delicious (consistently above average standard).

Try your best to avoid serving reheated, warmed, stale or spoiled food to customers. This is the most difficult. If u get this one right, u will earn long-term customer loyalty.

Strike a balance between resource expenditure while trying to please your customers and prudent management of resources for profitability of your business. Food cost should not be more than 30%.

Use classy furniture, utensils and equipment for your establishment.

Always consistently at all times maintain high standards of hygiene at the kitchen where the food will be prepared and at the restaurant where the guest will eat their meal.

Make sure the ingredients such as meat for example used in preparation of your meals are of the highest quality.

If you implement all these with good customer relations, customers will not mind spending big as long as they trust your food. you will be in business for a long time. With time, in addition to the walk-in guests you are getting, you will even start getting outside catering contracts.

Also make sure you know how to cook very well. At least have a sound knowledge of our local dishes. If you don't know how to prepare international cuisine please hire someone who can. Probably an experienced Professional Chef.
Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Reference(m): 9:21am On Nov 26, 2019
Can't remember when I last went out to eat. No time for that. I think the future is home/work place delivery so I suggest your investment should lean towards the kitchen rather than the shop window. Be known for what you sell rather than where it is sold and your prices will remain competitive. Remember Amazon is gunning down the high streets and this trend will eventually get to our shores.

So it is all about the machines, men and menus. Get reading.

2 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Eatery Business? by Flakky26(f): 9:22am On Nov 26, 2019
Thanks. It will definitely be an Air conditioned place with colourful chairs and tables. and dstv/flat screen tv.

hinere:
You want to go into selling of snacks and drinks...that's good. OK please listen let me tell you a true story....
One woman in my area had a snack shop. In fact it was just a small shop with small tables and chairs. She had a fridge where she stored cold drinks aswell. In front of her shop, she bought a show glass where she kept all her snacks for display. My brothers and sisters... There is no way you will pass that woman's shop without your eyes entering those snacks in the show glass... In fact it would be as if the snacks would be calling you sef. When you finally taste the snacks, delicious was there second name and they were very cheap. You can even buy and order for drinks while you chill in the Air Conditioned shop.
That woman was making money because she was on the road.

Bottom line....
Start Small
Make sure your snacks are delicious.
Let them be cheap or should I say affordable for the common man. E get why cassava flakes (garri) dey sell pass cornflakes... All na flakes...
Cleanliness is a huge factor.
Make sure your drinks are cold. Get coolers and buy Ice block
Get a show glass where you will put your snacks and it should be warm at all times.
Location... Try and be on the road where people ply or be in front of a big secondary school where you can have large number of students patronising you.
Customer Service is Key. Smile and be friendly.
Start with like 2 workers, one will be selling while the other will be helping you to fry.
Above all pray... It's God that brings customers...
Remember food business is one of the best business becos even person wey no get money must chop.
I wish you the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lily's Supermarket On Fire In Akoka, Yaba (pic) / 7 Ways To Fund Your Startup Idea As A Nigerian / Cost Of Registering A Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.