Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal (24977 Views)

Tinubu Certificate Scandal: Constitutional Implications By Aisha Mohammed Agashi / Social Media Bill: Protesters Storm National Assembly (Photos) / Anti-Social Media Bill: Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts Buhari & Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 22, 2019
DeOTR:

This new law will actually hasten Rwanda in Nigeria. I see what they are doing, but it will be too late if they don't retrace their steps. You can't render people hopeless and still take away their rights to complain. It will backfire.

Please explain how outlawing fake news and hate speech will usher in genocide.

Incidentally the who Babcock brohuaua is also partially about fake news. When the story broke, it was claimed that the action went down in the school clinic. People still say so, and many people, no matter what Babcock pushes out will firmly belive that the students were having sex in the school infirmary.

Just an example of the insidious nature of fake news
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by surgical: 8:21am On Nov 22, 2019
jaxxy:

The truth is social media is probably the only/major avenue, tool and platform for freedom of speech for citizens and they want to take that away. They want to turn Nigeria to China. There is no free speech in China. They will lock u up immediately. That’s what they want.

They forget Nigeria is a democracy.
This is the result of a rubber stamp national Assembly
Democracy is about check and balance but zombies thought otherwise,this is just the beginning
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by OyinO: 8:21am On Nov 22, 2019
In my HUMBLE OPINION, the Nigerian masses, unemployed youths, deprived citizens, oppressed minorities and the concerned agencies of human rights should keep silent to allow this bill sail through and passed into full effect of LAW. Then you'll see how the country will collapse and crash with a mighty thud from already existing deep sociopolitical cracks. It is these same set of political agitators that will be affected the most. Passing this bill into effect will destroy opposition party voices forever. It will only allow the ruling party elements to have voice because they are covered by IMMUNITY/IMPUNITY CLAUSE. At that point, the country will break into widespread chaos, instability and civil war.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by J2381: 8:21am On Nov 22, 2019
ornicus:

Please explain how outlawing fake news and hate speech will usher in genocide.
I was about asking him that question myself.

I still want to understand why many people oppose this laws.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Ezehenry875(m): 8:25am On Nov 22, 2019
bizhop01:
Buhari and his devilish criminal gang are mad
300.000 or 3years in prison chose one

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by LucemFerre: 8:25am On Nov 22, 2019
What the fvck does this even mean?
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 22, 2019
J2381:
I was about asking him that question myself.

I still want to understand why many people oppose this laws.

There is honestly a potential for abuse among our thin skinned politicians who jail activists for posts on Facebook.

My guy Jarus back in the day had a visit from sss and his nysc extended for writing an article on the then sokoto state governor. The man thought it was opposition politics

A person like Ganodollar, caught on tape collecting dollars could quickly get the reporters rounded up and hanged.

We however have a very very big problem with fake news. You can no longer even tell what is true as even traditional media outlets are partisan and get in on the act. Look at the nonsense Vanguard was publishing on Osinbajo

In the build up to the 2019 elections, fulani herdsmen became the ultimate boogeymen, able to materialise anywhere in the country, murder, rape and kidnap at will. Elections are over, and crimes are back to being done by locals.

Death penalty is madness, but we need regulation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by govomotors: 8:27am On Nov 22, 2019
Let us use NL to do a survey.

Which of these require the death penalty must?

Corruption
Kidnapping
Armed robbery
Diversion of public fund
Embazzlement
Hate Speech
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 8:29am On Nov 22, 2019
If the country's system was working well Nigerians would welcome it, but for Pete's sake we are in a country where everyone wants to be above his subordinates and wants to oppress his subordinate with the little power he has. No independence of the arms of the government, insecurity in a wide scale and tyranny from a common man who gains power. This time it's going to be worse than what the South Africans witnessed during apartheid and we should also hope that our case doesn't escalate to a case of insurgency for example, Iraq.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by obowunmi(m): 8:29am On Nov 22, 2019
TechCabal must be getting ZERO traffic for them to come and post on Nairaland.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:32am On Nov 22, 2019
One president brought the freedom of information (foi) bill which is still being enjoyed until now, the other president....... ?
What is the effect of this new bill on foi?
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:36am On Nov 22, 2019
Kendumazy:
Jonathan will just be laughing wherever he is. Below is what he said.

"The choice before Nigerians in the coming elections is simple: A
choice between going forward or going backwards; between the new
ways and the old ways; between freedom and repression; between a
record of visible achievements and beneficial reforms-and desperate
power-seekers with empty promises." Well, we put ourselves in this. Let's enjoy it!

It's the shirt seller again! Check my signature below for more details.

The same Jonathan that handed Bayelsa State to APC.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Btruth: 8:41am On Nov 22, 2019
Have they finish the case against the idiot called Senator Abe?
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by J2381: 8:41am On Nov 22, 2019
ornicus:

There is honestly a potential for abuse among our thin skinned politicians who jail activists for posts on Facebook.

My guy Jarus back in the day had a visit from sss and his nysc extended for writing an article on the then sokoto state governor.The man thought it was opposition politics

A person like Ganodollar, caught on tape collecting dollars could quickly get the reporters rounded up and hanged.

We however have a very very big problem with fake news. You can no longer even tell what is true as even traditional media outlets are partisan and get in on the act. Look at the nonsense Vanguard was publishing on Osinbajo

In the build up to the 2019 elections, fulani herdsmen became the ultimate boogeymen, able to materialise anywhere in the country, murder, rape and kidnap at will. Elections are over, and crimes are back to being done by locals.

Death penalty is madness, but we need regulation.
there's a potential for anything as long as Nigeria politics and politicians are concern.

It's not today we started reading about the abuse of power by political office holders. Right from 1999, it's been happening. You criticise a government and they arrest you if they don't like what you wrote.

However fake news is the real bane here as you and I know majority of us in this country are halfwits and we can't even muster the brain power to decipher what's wrong and what's right.

If you check my earlier post on this topic, I blamed the owners of social media platforms for the flagrant spread of fake news. They sat down idle, just because of getting traffic and members and watched it blossom. Now it's become a hydra and they seem not to be able to do anything about it.

Bro, take a good look at this place and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The death penalty for hate speech is outrageous but you and I know something drastically needs to be done about this hydra monster.

I'm all up for regulation of social media but I believe the owners of social media platforms won't support it.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Gegede(m): 8:45am On Nov 22, 2019
NotBeenPaid:

Take this from me; The bill doesn't hold water reason being that Nigerian political system is built on falsehood, tarnishing your opponents image to gather sympathy from gullible masses.

If eventually the bill comes alive, whom do you think that who be the first to break the law? Your guess is as good as mine.

Lie Muhammad or sehu sanni

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Lazerone(f): 8:46am On Nov 22, 2019
What fake news exactly? Propagated by who??

Please who else got weak reading this news?
Who else has a lot to say but doesn't know where to start?.... I'm that weak!

But, China is building a green forest city to combat air pollution in their country. See the green construction here.
https://prodesigners.com.ng/china-is-building-a-green-forest-city/
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by LZAA: 8:48am On Nov 22, 2019
LabDNA:
I support the bill, I defintely know it won't affect my own people. We know the region where they raise kids with abuses and insults.

Na dem go suffer am pass.

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by kindy51(m): 8:49am On Nov 22, 2019
I am ashamed this the way an average Nigerian uneducated and myopic youth thinks
Officialgarri:
Where there's no law, there is no order.

There's no going back on this bill.

If PDP ever comes to power in this life, they should reverse it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Xisnin(m): 8:56am On Nov 22, 2019
Godhatesodomy:

Fake News is dangerous. There is alot of fake news in America yet its coming from the government itself by Jewish mafias that employs black characters. There is more corruption coming from outside of Africa than within.

Wake up out your slumber
You lost all credibility by quoting a dullard as your source.
I bet you don't even know the meaning of fake news.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by technuel: 9:01am On Nov 22, 2019
Bookmark or screenshot this comment
Buhari is preparing for third term
In the process of trying to go for third term, Crisis will erupt there will be massive clamp down on people which will trigger division in the military and there will be a Coup. I saw young fair fair guy taking over from Buhari, the emergence of the Military will draw the eyes of the world a d then Nigeria will have no choice but to follow the part of disintegration.
This is what I saw
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by hrykanu231(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2019
Officialgarri:
Where there's no law, there is no order.

There's no going back on this bill.

If PDP ever comes to power in this life, they should reverse it

Is everything always about PDP or APC? Why are most of you myopic in reasoning? If you had read the thread you would have understood that the said bill is "anti-masses"
These fools you support don't care about you. But here's the STINCKER, they won't be in power forever.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2019
izzou:
grin

Can't these guys spend months discussing how to increase power generation in this country?

Just power

POWER angry

Power is really three parts
You have a generator that's power generation
The cable from generator to changeover that's transmission
From your distribution board through your house, that's distribution

Imagine your cable to the changeover is old and patched in multiple places. It rains you have to go out and fix, rat crosses cable, you have to go out and fix.

Our transmission network requires significant overhauling, but this is capital intensive. We are not using our full generation capacity because of the transmission issues. It is not about oil companies, who can actually make money selling lpfo so some power generating companies.

It is about large, long term investment in an unstable country.

Mtn and Co started making their money immediately.your returns on power investment can take decades.

Obj also effed up. His administration brought in billions in equipment that was left to rot at our ports.by now a lot of that stuff may be obsolete

Just a primer on our energy issues
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by olash: 9:06am On Nov 22, 2019
izzou:
grin

Can't these guys spend months discussing how to increase power generation in this country?

Just power

POWER angry

Hate speech.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by olash: 9:08am On Nov 22, 2019
kid7soccer:
This country is finished

Hate speech. They coming for u

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by izzou(m): 9:12am On Nov 22, 2019
ornicus:

Power is really three parts
You have a generator that's power generation
The cable from generator to changeover that's transmission
From your distribution board through your house, that's distribution

Imagine your cable to the changeover is old and patched in multiple places. It rains you have to go out and fix, rat crosses cable, you have to go out and fix.

Our transmission network requires significant overhauling, but this is capital intensive. We are not using our full generation capacity because of the transmission issues. It is not about oil companies, who can actually make money selling lpfo so some power generating companies.

It is about large, long term investment in an unstable country.

Mtn and Co started making their money immediately.your returns on power investment can take decades.

Obj also effed up. His administration brought in billions in equipment that was left to rot at our ports.by now a lot of that stuff may be obsolete

Just a primer on our energy issues

Countries with worse economies than us have steady electricity

Is there nothing that can be done about it?
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Ifyz0001: 9:16am On Nov 22, 2019
bizhop01:
Buhari and his devilish criminal gang are mad

If they pass this bill, with this your comment they go come carry you b dat...
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by youngmonie: 9:18am On Nov 22, 2019
Hmm most articles are never balanced these days. All these self proclaimed journalist should also be telling people THE DANGERS OF FAKE New especially for a fragile state like Nigeria.

Fine no one wants this bill and one may argue that politicians want to use it for their advantage. However, I feel there are better ways: Compell the tech companies to do more in checkmating the spread of fake news, all these so called bloggers should be registered with NUJ ( They will destroy this country faster than corruption), our so called journalist should be held to a much higher standard than they are now and not used as political tools.
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 22, 2019
izzou:

Countries with worse economies than us have steady electricity

Is there nothing that can be done about it?

Nothing a billon Dollars can’t fix. If we can get it, and if our fellow Nigerians will not steal it.

Also the same problem with deregulation. If I have he money to invest and I come into Nigerian and invest, I will not make my money back at the current energy rates. And Nigerians will resist raising energy cost ( chicken and egg issue - which comes first)

Also Nigerians have this weird idea that good service should be almost free. I am sure you saw all those absurd arguments on forcing down price of data. Some people are almost ready for us to go back to the days of nitel. That Barbary expressway already has its toll gates because it is a loan that has to be repaid. Let them complete it, start rolling and Nigerians will start screaming .

We need to raise prices to bring in serious investors. We also may need to re sell some of the discos, which were sold more on paddy paddy than on capacity
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:22am On Nov 22, 2019
Overself:
We told them that Buhari is evil,did they hear?
Now see the result!
Zombie go get sense by force!!
This is not a question of Buhari or APC!
Didn't you read where it was supported by majority of senators across party platforms with the exception of Sen Ken Nnamani!
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by izzou(m): 9:23am On Nov 22, 2019
ornicus:

Nothing a billon Dollars can’t fix. If we can get it, and if our fellow Nigerians will not steal it.

Also the same problem with deregulation. If I have he money to invest and I come into Nigerian and invest, I will not make my money back at the current energy rates. And Nigerians will resist raising energy cost ( chicken and egg issue - which comes first)

Also Nigerians have this weird idea that good service should be almost free. I am sure you saw all those absurd arguments on forcing down price of data. Some people are almost ready for us to go back to the days of nitel. That Barbary expressway already has its toll gates because it is a loan that has to be repaid. Let them complete it, start rolling and Nigerians will start screaming .

We need to raise prices to bring in serious investors. We also may need to re sell some of the discos, which were sold more on paddy paddy than on capacity

I remember I went for Power Nigeria exhibition at Landmark last year

When the IBEDC guy spoke about the power sectors, I started to realize we can't get steady power in donkey decades

grin
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 22, 2019
Grossly mis-placed priority from a bunch of redundant, self-serving THIEVES!
Re: Nigeria’s Social Media Bill: The Dangerous Implications By Techcabal by supercase1(m): 9:41am On Nov 22, 2019
technuel:
Bookmark or screenshot this comment
Buhari is preparing for third term
In the process of trying to go for third term, Crisis will erupt there will be massive clamp down on people which will trigger division in the military and there will be a Coup. I saw young fair fair guy taking over from Buhari, the emergence of the Military will draw the eyes of the world a d then Nigeria will have no choice but to follow the part of disintegration.
This is what I saw
If only your prophecy can come to pass

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nobody Can Unseat Obaseki - Governor Umahi / NNPC Driver Sells Fuels From His Truck....(pix) / Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.