Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? (19656 Views)

When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC / Why And How Do You Loose Your Last Job / 'I Left My Last Job Because My Boss Put His Hands On A Female Employee' - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by misskenny(f): 5:27pm On Nov 24, 2019
Even when we know what the OP is trying to say, we just enjoy sharing our own story and let others learn from them.

I worked in a Montessori school though I had no idea of the materials. I was assisting in a class (age 3-5)

I was asked to leave after 6month, even though i was doing well with all I was given.

I got another job after 3months. Though I didnt know much about my role, but I learnt and master it within few month. I've been there for 2years now. No much stress, no bossing around. I'm even in the position to give and decide what's best for my company.

Really grateful for this one sha.

6 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
moscobabs:
Hunnm, the best paying job I ever got in my life.

The job didn't give me time to take care of my wife who had an accident...my family first,then I tendered my resignation,they were surprised but I have to leave.

It took me another 9months before I got another one. But I never regret leaving the job.

So soorry about this, I hope your wife is fine now??

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Ushiesunday(m): 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
Me I don't have anything to say at all. But God is my strength

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
wunmi590:
shocked

Hmmm, what can I say, honestly since I left FCMB, other jobs I have been getting are just crap.

I left my last retail company as the head of administration/facility maintenance manager, just because:

1. I have an abusive female bosses (Both the mother and the daughter, mother the MD while daughter the head of operations.
2. You can imagine a boss sending you home to your parent with all kind if abuse.
3. My heart always beep when I want to leave home for work just because of fear.
4. I was under pay with huge responsibility 100k
5. I work from Monday to Saturday, no time for myself.

Luckily for me, I got another job, a retail company again as the head and supervisor of a store branch, same treatment as above.

You can imagine a graduate being sent to buy Eba, moimoi and all kind of food from mama put grin

Generally female boss are just mean, sometimes money is not all, you just have to know your worth before you develope hypertension.

What is the essence of earning big and you are not enjoying what you are earning.

No time for yourself not to talk of family.

All company is a barrack, soldier go soldier come, no company is worth dieing for, no matter how much they pay you, if you are being treated badly just like the above except your own company or family company.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Come make professional CV with us @ token rates and stop applying to those kind of jobs. Very funny tho. Wish you well
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2019
EmploymentHub is primarily designed to serve meticulously Job applicants, on how apply for job vacancies and get employed by making, editing and reviewing professional CV, serving attractive cover letter for a little fee. We also send free job vacancies to all our clients and do preliminary interview to trained them on how to answer interview questions.

Pls follow us on Instagram @employment_hub. Call, Text or WhatsApp 08080756701. We are available to service at your convenience. Thank you

Our services speak for us

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2019
Ushiesunday:
Me I don't have anything to say at all. Am a graduate and I need a job ooooo. I know managers, CEOs and Employers are here. Please help a soul am dying in Lagos.

EmploymentHub is primarily designed to serve meticulously Job applicants, on how apply for job vacancies and get employed by making, editing and reviewing professional CV, serving attractive cover letter for a little fee. We also send free job vacancies to all our clients and do preliminary interview to trained them on how to answer interview questions.

Pls follow us on Instagram @employment_hub. Call, Text or WhatsApp 08080756701. We are available to service at your convenience. Thank you
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:46pm On Nov 24, 2019
invigilator:
The stress was much couple with the equipments and Machines being outdated for a standard 21st century factory. I was required to work overtime, been called at late hours outside my shifts to come to troubleshoot issues and when i do, they refuse to provide a means for me to go back home and rest so i have to stay still the next morning. The pay was not bad oh but I was more like a controlled robot that was programmed with all the remedies of restoring the factory yet having no time for myself. I left sha, got something I hope it'll be different, waiting to resume next month

Success dear, the next will be better.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:47pm On Nov 24, 2019
Ejadike:
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh

Wow....you are very attentive and detailed. Keep it up
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by invigilator(m): 5:48pm On Nov 24, 2019
Employmenthub:

Success dear, the next will be better.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:50pm On Nov 24, 2019
philip0906:
I left for 3 reasons;

1. Toxic work environment. Staff doing eye service, azz licking all around and lots of senseless politicking.

2. Senile line manager. Mo'fvcka would literally throw his subordinates under the bus once he was in a fix.

3. Poor pay. Considering efforts put in, relative to other staff in same level, pay was poor.

Now once I got an offer and was asked why I was leaving my former job, I stuck to only number 1 and asked in return if my new work place was toxic too...else, j would turn down the offer.

Brilliant
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:52pm On Nov 24, 2019
technuel:
Nigeria is just a dead Country
Had it been in a sane Country employers of Labour would have to obey some of the Labour Laws. Graduates are really suffering in this Country.

Honestly
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Employmenthub(f): 5:56pm On Nov 24, 2019
abelswife:
I was underpaid and overworked.

Closing at 8pm. 30k salary for a graduate.

Transportation alone was like 25k for the month. But I needed to leave the house.
Worked there for only 3months and ran.

Got another one for 50k afterwards, I was going to work from Sunday to Sunday, the employer kept on owing. He will pay January salary on the 16th of February and pay February salary on the 30th of March, I worked for 2months and ran after I made enquiries and realized he's owing some staff for 6months.

I stayed at home for a long time before I got this one. I'm being paid just a little above the last one but salary comes every 26th. I observe all the public holidays, close at 5pm dot and I dont work weekends.
I'll keep searching for better offers until I get my miracle job. For me, a good offer is one that pays me well, doesn't owe, and still gives me time for myself. Come work no be come die.

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 24, 2019
Employmenthub:

Beautiful ma'am. Actually I have a client with a very complicated issue. We make a CV for her, she got an invite for an interview, she passed the first interview after our preparation , she was asked to come for the second during which the company did a reference check on her with one of previous employer and unfortunately, they called a company where the CEO was making sexual advances at her. ( it was a one man business tho) The man said alot of negative things about her. When she went for the second interview she was asked why she left that particular job ( you know you can't speak bad of your previous employer, that's the rule she thought) she gave an excuse saying she needed a more challenging....so forth. The whole interview questions and answers thing. The recruiter told her he did a reference check on her and her previous employer said alot of bad things about her, long story short she lost the job.

Nigeria is a very complicated country, things are really tight here, so job applicant have to be very careful.... study your recruiter, study the company, its environment. Always tell the truth!!....

She's got another offer now

Awwwnn... My heart goes to her. She should have just said the truth but she was trying to be discreet. All these randy bosses eh! God will deal with them.

I had to.beg God to settle me cos I experienced it twice at different places and the frustration nor be here o.
Thank God for her. Hmmm...

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by fxspans: 6:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
Action is the Name of the Game, Secure your Future and Stop Blaming
Every Sitting President or Government of your Country for your
Destiny.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
I work in a call center job in lekki. Which is 45k Monday to Friday resumption i
8 to 5
Name withheld ..if you no you no

If you don’t meet target you stay till 6
Working environment poor
I stay in mainland
Alagbado pricersly I have to wake up. 4.3o everyday just to make sure I reach work earlier
I realize that I was waiting my time and stress spend 35k for transportvfare wount I eat and other stuff I did for like a year I didn’t save anytin for a year I have to move one with another job in ikeja after I resign with the job wen I notice the stress involved and it doesn’t worth it

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by hpymoment(f): 7:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
anochuko01:

Hope you know that there's a PEAK point for this practice?

There's a point an employee gets that he would not be able to command certain amount as salary, no matter his age and experience.

This applies to jobs that require little expertise. That's why no matter how much some people change jobs, they may never earn 200k upwards.

For example, A regular office assistant may never earn as much as 200k because it requires less expertise, and cheaper alternatives are surplus.

My point is that, you should find something that'll make you an expert in your field. Get Certifications and master the latest tools that are required in your Field.

If these two are in place, youll get a very good job within three months.
First degree in Industrial Chemistry,
Running a master programme in education,
But earning a living with basic computer knowledge, specialized in internet services.

What certification do u suggest i go for?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 7:12pm On Nov 24, 2019
Employmenthub:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy. Come make professional CV with us @ token rates and stop applying to those kind of jobs. Very funny tho. Wish you well

Lol, would contact you later.

Thank you
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by moscobabs(m): 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2019
Employmenthub:

So soorry about this, I hope your wife is fine now??

Perfectly OK since 2016. Thanks
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by rexandyke(m): 8:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
I was told during the interview that I will be a developer for their Ecommerce website.

When I got in, the website had already been outsourced to some US guys and it keeps having problems. They never gave me access to the site even as an Admin talk more to actively develop the website.

I ended up uploading files to Google docs and manually sorting new ordered clothing stock and its accessories and recording them. A female worker there too was using me as her boy. She will send me to do jobs that were hers to do and at any time she wanted. God! Every day at work was like hell for me. I was never sad for the couple of months I worked there.

I had to leave.

I had to apply for another as an intern just to leave the present one.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by 0ubenji(m): 8:43pm On Nov 24, 2019
Get paid advertising with your Facebook. Contact link(without spaces) on my profile.

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by abelswife(f): 9:01pm On Nov 24, 2019
anochuko01:

That's sweet... Also, have you ever considered learning a foreign language?
It depends on your career though.

I've not thought about this o. Do you know anywhere I can pay to learn French, Italianor Greek in PH or Abuja?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by adeyemi91(m): 9:26pm On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
Well said, but unfortunately, all they want to offer to an employer is how to press computer and be using company free wifi to be posting pictures on Facebook, Instagram and browsing pictures of hot boys and hot girls, so they won't heed to your advice angry angry
Don't generalise pls
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by GOOOGLE504(m): 9:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
Ejadike:
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh

don't blame them...

d subject was pretty straight: WHY did you leave your last job?

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by VanSARS: 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2019
Employmenthub:
This is a very tactic questions for applicant especially when they are fired from their previous job.
To answer this tricky question, let's start with things you shouldn't say!.

*Do not say things that express negativity Apostle Joshua Selman towards your old employer, the recruiter see this as a red flag, they will see you as someone who is bitter and negative and you would not he hired. Ensure your language is neutral and try to be calm.

*Do not over load the interviewer with details and in depth reasons, don't sound defensive and go into details of what happen from your own side of the story.

* You should not lie about the reason you left your old job but be very smart with how you tell the truth! Lying could hurt you if they do a reference check and trust me, most organisations do!. What I mean by being smart about telling the truth is.... not lying but not saying the intended truth...for examples. You don't want to tell the recruiter you left your previous job because you got a better pay in another company, they feel you are all about the money even though that's one the big reasons we work. You could say you left because you got a more challenging job that put your talents into resourceful use and in the previous job your talents was not fully utilised. Or better still you could say because the reward do not commensurate the effort and your cost of service compared to the pay do not leave anything to save. That is a smart truth!. ( but this is when you left the company on your own)

*Do not feel awkward when answering the question try to be calm, your body language could mean you are lying even when you are telling the truth and being nervous denotes a lack of confident in the eye of the employer.

What you should do

*Tell the truth and be Honest. It always pay
*Always give detail not a novel you dont have to tell the whole story in other to make sense that's not the best use of your interview time.
*whatever reasons given, ensure you go back to why you are the suitable candidate for the position they are hiring for. Your focus is not on your old job but this one so stop spending time why you left the old job and start convincing to why you are better at this new job.

If you are fire because your performance was bad.
Do not lie about it. Remember, say the truth smartly. You do not want to say you could not perform because you don't know how to do your task well ...... the recruiter will you as unteachable and someone who does not want to learn.

Answer like this: After some management changes it become clearer that the new director had new expectations for my role that was didnt line up with my strengths so he eventually brought in someone from the Koinonia previous company who had more experience. This experience taught me that my real talents is (the position you are applying for) I would like to discuss my expertise if you like.

Employmenthub is a CV builder hub where we make professional CV for experienced and inexperienced applicant to get them interview for their dream job @ the lowest rate, our services speaks for us. We also send free job vacancies to all our client, do preliminary interviews, training applicant on how to answer all interview questions before the real interview sessions.

Follow us on instagram: @employment_hub, whatsapp 08080756701 or call....

Tell a friend to tell a friend
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Riscawendy(f): 10:47pm On Nov 24, 2019
Mine was the salary, it was to big that l cannot afford most of my basic needs.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by anochuko01(m): 10:59pm On Nov 24, 2019
abelswife:

I've not thought about this o. Do you know anywhere I can pay to learn French, Italianor Greek in PH or Abuja?
Honestly I don't. Uhnmm, what's the nature of your job. If you don't mind...
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by anochuko01(m): 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2019
hpymoment:

First degree in Industrial Chemistry,
Running a master programme in education,
But earning a living with basic computer knowledge, specialized in internet services.

What certification do u suggest i go for?
Thanks.
You're doing very great Sir.
I think your certifications would depend on what career path you intend settling with. What's your choice? I.T wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by TheSociopath(m): 6:53am On Nov 25, 2019
moscobabs:
Hunnm, the best paying job I ever got in my life.

The job didn't give me time to take care of my wife who had an accident...my family first,then I tendered my resignation,they were surprised but I have to leave.

It took me another 9months before I got another one. But I never regret leaving the job.

It's been 9 months since I left my banking job too.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by ThaRealist: 7:08am On Nov 25, 2019
idu1:

I'm putting you in prayer. You ll resume your dream job February 2020

Kindly put me in your prayers too.... Make a declaration, prophesy..�
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by idu1(m): 7:38am On Nov 25, 2019
ThaRealist:

Kindly put me in your prayers too.... Make a declaration, prophesy..�
By the grace God you all get it.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by braveheart234(m): 9:01am On Nov 25, 2019
Kylekent59:
Let us discuss about John and see if he's gaining or losing.

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He spends # 700 on food and water

He subscribes 2k for his Internet

He shops every month with 10k

He spends 5k monthly on deodorants and soaps

He pays 3k monthly for electricity

He pays 1k monthly for security

He pays 12k as tithe

He spends 2k monthly for maintenance of house hold equipment

He spends 10k on dstv suscription

He pays 12,500 on house rent monthly

He sends 20k to his siblings monthly

He sends 10k to his parent monthly

He spends 5k on other expensive on visiting friends on transportation

He also spends 10k on a tour

Total monthly expenses = #104, 200

monthly Salary = #120,000

Savings = 120,000 - 104,200

= #15, 800

In a year you would save up to 15,800 x 12 = 189,600

Which is not even up to a wedding expenses even if you save the next 4 years of your salary.

If you were John, would you continue with the Job or quit the job?

700 on food and water can be cut down. There are alternatives.
5k on deodorants and soaps can still be cut down in a way.
10k on dstv subscription? There are cheaper bouquets. Plus there are cheaper digital TV service providers.
If John really wants to save some more monthly, then John should cut down on some unnecessary expenses.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by ultimate77(m): 11:02am On Nov 25, 2019
philip0906:

Lol...unfortunately, that's not how life works. Earnings and taste is relative.

What you might consider to be big pay, is someone else's pocket money or is not even enough for the next man to get by. Some people by virtue of taste, lifestyle, upbringing, bills, ongoing projects, job experience, age, family, plans etc will turn down offers that you would have ordinarily accepted.

Las las, God go bless everyone so that we get to that level.

True though.

Las las, we go all smile.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Olayemi Samson, Nigerian Enterpreneur Making Fashion Out Of Trash / What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Also Do (photos) / "Smile Or Be Suspended": Phillipine Mayor Tells Government Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.