Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,922 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure (19735 Views)

Palliatives: Rice Price Spikes As FG, States’ Suppliers Mop Up Markets / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by SalamRushdie: 9:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
MoIbrahim:

So what you are saying is after they they finished growing, raising capital and expanding they started hustling to drop the price? I no see Econs for here o.

When they came Nigeria had zero infrastructure on ground to support the growth of the mobile network , meaning they had nothing to piggy back on , they basically were starting from ground zero ( do you know Econet launched it's network in a couple of vans that drove around Lagos in it's hey days ) . At such stage you cannot afford to onboard to many subscribers at the same to prevent switch stampede so you create a higher barrier to entry which in this case was high pricing , so they started at 35k over 200 dollars then
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by xcelentattitude(m): 9:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Must we eat self? Arrghhh!
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by KingTom(m): 10:09pm On Nov 25, 2019
MoIbrahim:
Na so MTN and Econet SIM rise from 3.5k reach 17k, come finally reach 23k sef.

Today na how much dem be?
You are comparing rice with sim cards Do you know how many years rice has been in existence
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by soleexx(m): 10:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
shugaboy6102:
This is what Nigerians needs to do to this govt. Rubbish

shey u go lead

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Arthur02(m): 10:41pm On Nov 25, 2019
APC next level... APC change.... APC progress... Yeee, who stone me..?
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nvc078: 10:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Blitzerz:

.... When price of fuel went up under buhari, people of your kind also asked "must we buy fuel"?
Don't worry
Very soon you and your kind will ask,
"must we survive"?

That time will soon reach
Shut up...foreign rice has close substitute which you can easily make duo with. Stop this wailing.
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by DonFreshmoney(m): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
11,000 in benue..

Simply buy rice in large quantities from benue and sell in Abuja for 23,000.. you ve made x2 profit from buying it.

Too much sense
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
nototribalist:
I was in the market 2 days ago and I asked the lady how much is 25kg (half bag) she said it's 6,500, While full 50kg bag is 13,000.

Ghanaians are now bribing our media to write rubbish. We don't have the key to that border anymore. So stop wasting your time
Local rice has grade ooh. Hope it is stoneless.
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by kay29000(m): 11:25pm On Nov 25, 2019
apikipiki1:
Las las we go use beans do Christmas.
grin
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Blitzerz: 11:31pm On Nov 25, 2019
Nvc078:

Shut up...foreign rice has close substitute which you can easily make duo with. Stop this wailing.
Zombie.
And what level of production of the substitute have u attained?

No sense

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by LilMissFavvy(f): 11:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
That's the change.....from petroleum to foodstuffs. Soonest it's gonna be a hike in transportation.
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
nototribalist:
I was in the market 2 days ago and I asked the lady how much is 25kg (half bag) she said it's 6,500, While full 50kg bag is 13,000.

Ghanaians are now bribing our media to write rubbish. We don't have the key to that border anymore. So stop wasting your time
Wc makert is that?
Are you sure the 50kg bag is not filled with 25kg stones?
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2019
Hedonini:
In whose interest is the border closure and higher food prices? Is it in the interest of the millions of poor, struggling Nigerians or is it in the interest of the capitalist, exploitative, mercantilist, greedy 'farmers' who (along with their employees and value chain beneficiaries) constitute less than 1 percent of the population?
Good question.
Only a clueless govt creates artificial scarcity to enrich a few. I suspect members of the cabal may be rice farmers after all.
Though I know it was not planned. Customs blamed smugglers for not meeting revenue targets. Instead of the govt to sanction customs for displaying and admitting to incompetence, it decides to kuku shut everything down and leave the masses in penury

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nvc078: 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2019
Blitzerz:

Zombie.
And what level of production of the substitute have u attained?

No sense
you're void of common sense. There has never been a case of local rice scarcity in the market,what's your point exactly?

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
daddytime:
Na when I go fill gas yesterday dem tell me say 12.5kg wet be 3800 before don turn 5k because of border closure, na so I weak like over ripe dodo wey dem fry.
Where's dat?
I experienced same at Ibadan. From 3750 to 4125. Thought it was a rip off
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
Nvc078:
you're void of common sense. There has never been a case of local rice scarcity in the market,what's your point exactly?
Can you pls explain what pushed the price up then?
Local rice, esp the stone free polished variety can't go round the way foreign rice goes. That's why the price went up. Most of those that are cheaper are stony. If local rice could flood the market, price will drop
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by daddytime(m): 11:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Where's dat?
I experienced same at Ibadan. From 3750 to 4125. Thought it was a rip off

Abuja
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nvc078: 12:05am On Nov 26, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Can you pls explain what pushed the price up then?
Local rice, esp the stone free polished variety can't go round the way foreign rice goes. That's why the price went up. Most of those that are cheaper are stony. If local rice could flood the market, price will drop
If you did basic economics, you could've known that higher demand increases price. Having said that,we should direct our energy towards increasing production than criticizing the govt over border closure. Mark my words,on the long run,you will be grateful to buhari for this

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by kingtinnie(m): 12:11am On Nov 26, 2019
Nvc078:

If you did basic economics, you could've known that higher demand increases price. Having said that,we should direct our energy towards increasing production than criticizing the govt over border closure. Mark my words,on the long run,you will be grateful to buhari for this

I hail you sir ....You see the real problem with this country is actually the greed of our people ... If only we can be patient nothing good and worthwhile comes easy

2 Likes

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nvc078: 12:12am On Nov 26, 2019
kingtinnie:

I hail you sir ....You see the real problem with this country is actually the greed of our people ... If only we can be patient nothing good and worthwhile comes easy
Exactly bro
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 26, 2019
Blitzerz:

.... When price of fuel went up under buhari, people of your kind also asked "must we buy fuel"?
Don't worry
Very soon you and your kind will ask,
"must we survive"?

That time will soon reach

1 Like

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by banhammy: 2:13am On Nov 26, 2019
Local rice here in Kanawa Rinji, Soba lg kaduna State is sold for 14000 for 50kg
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by obidark: 2:29am On Nov 26, 2019
this people think they are doing nigerians with fake news day and night....

let them keep on talkin....
it will only scare people away from eatin anytype of rice....

what will still drive the price down....

i dont even remember when i last eat rice sef....
maybe for months now....
solong meat dey,i dont give a fvck....

i eat more potatoes and vegitables now with meat....
their are many other things to eat....
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by obidark: 2:37am On Nov 26, 2019
this picture says alot....

something like this land on frontpage....??
borders that dont even belong to you....??

this brings up the question,who is realy profiting from that border smugglin....??

i remember a news,where it came out that even boko haram was tradin in dried fish....

the borders must remain closed....!!

Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by sharone21(f): 3:49am On Nov 26, 2019
Sukueponmalu:
The way Pdp supporters have been ranting about this rice price thing.
I was thinking the price had increased by more than 100%.
I guess you are a proud APC loyalist or party member....Q: What have u personally gained from this border closure for 3months apart what you think are the positives that u read online or in papers? So, until the price of rice gets to N50,000 (if Nigerians don't complain) before you believe the masses are suffering? Your type are like PMB who say they understand the plight of the masses but know nothing about it. Inside this already hard economy where he has crumbled many companies and many families are struggling to survive( some on the brink of divorce) and many singles scared of their marital fate in this Buhari's economy.... At best, u will tell me it will provide jobs....say na everybody go work for rice mill after crumbling other sources of income ( no safety in the farms, no constant electricity, fall of banks and stock markets, crumbling of transportation jobs to both big and small entrepreneurs etc) and won't the rice mill jobs go to family, friends and cronies of the rice mill owners? See, when we see FAILED government let us jointly state so.
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by buchilino(m): 4:40am On Nov 26, 2019
apikipiki1:
Las las we go use beans do Christmas.

BEANS?, U STILL GET MONEY. I HAVE TOLD MY WIFE 2 PREPARE FUFU WITH RICH OGBONO SOUP 4 CHRISTMAS
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Blitzerz: 4:58am On Nov 26, 2019
Nvc078:

It's obvious u are not on touch with reality, neither did u attend economics classes in secondary school. Olodo

Even price of local rice has surpassed that of foreign rice in many places.
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by capitalzero: 5:23am On Nov 26, 2019
Hedonini:
In whose interest is the border closure and higher food prices? Is it in the interest of the millions of poor, struggling Nigerians or is it in the interest of the capitalist, exploitative, mercantilist, greedy 'farmers' who (along with their employees and value chain beneficiaries) constitute less than 1 percent of the population?

i am still wondering
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Bnimz(m): 5:28am On Nov 26, 2019
GeneralShepherd:
Nigeria is better than Canada and Australia oo grin grin. Una never see anything
grin
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Nvc078: 6:39am On Nov 26, 2019
Blitzerz:

It's obvious u are not on touch with reality, neither did u attend economics classes in secondary school. Olodo

Even price of local rice has surpassed that of foreign rice in many places.
Lol....you're obviously a wailer thus your data generation without proof. However,even if your claim is true,I think it's deserving considering the long term benefit this policy will bring. If you're wise,you will understand that no country survives by importating 90% of what it consumes. Anyways, haters and agents of critics can't see beyond the now.so continue wailing as the borders are tightened the more
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:04am On Nov 26, 2019
Nvc078:

Good you know basic economics.
What has changed in rice market in Nigeria? Is it demand or supply?
Assuming it's demand self which is not, can you kindly tell us how this policy by govt has reflected that knowledge?
Or do you mean one of govt's function is to create increase in demand that leads to price?

I'm also sure you're aware of elasticity of demand especially elastic demand.
With that knowledge, can you say local rice has obeyed that law and if not, why did the govt go ahead to implement a policy that will lead to highest inflation in the year at the same time they're implementing minimum wages?
Note that patriotism is not an economic concept. So all this ur defence for a glaring gaffe is just politics not economics
Re: Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure by Sukueponmalu: 7:10am On Nov 26, 2019
[s]
sharone21:

I guess you are a proud APC loyalist or party member....Q: What have u personally gained from this border closure for 3months apart what you think are the positives that u read online or in papers? So, until the price of rice gets to N50,000 (if Nigerians don't complain) before you believe the masses are suffering? Your type are like PMB who say they understand the plight of the masses but know nothing about it. Inside this already hard economy where he has crumbled many companies and many families are struggling to survive( some on the brink of divorce) and many singles scared of their marital fate in this Buhari's economy.... At best, u will tell me it will provide jobs....say na everybody go work for rice mill after crumbling other sources of income ( no safety in the farms, no constant electricity, fall of banks and stock markets, crumbling of transportation jobs to both big and small entrepreneurs etc) and won't the rice mill jobs go to family, friends and cronies of the rice mill owners? See, when we see FAILED government let us jointly state so.
[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu / How Many Times Do You Eat In A Day? / 7 Healthy Ways To Fry Foods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.