Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,247 members, 7,822,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG (20066 Views)

Twitter's Suspension Persists Because They Haven't Met All Our Conditions - FG / FG Tells Togo, Benin, Niger To Pay Electricity Bills / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Jaqenhghar: 4:09pm On Nov 26, 2019
Riversides2003:
Although am not a fan of Buhari’s administration but I think this border closure is yielding some positive results, my concern though is that is should be a total closure and not partial in some northern neighboring towns.Nigerians should size this opportunity to be self sufficient in the production of certain goods and commodities. We can do it we have the population. It baffles me to to imagine Nigeria depends on Thailand a country of less than 70 million people for rice. This is not the time to start the blame games, Our youth should be more productive and stop looking for white collar jobs which are limited. Government should just map out a strategy to provide soft loans and equipment for people willing to go into agriculture, and you will all begin to see changes.
How many times will they give soft loans. With the way soft loans are given by both government and NGOs there should have been an impact if the youths are really serious.
A country where hard work is seen as suffering and the innovative minds are being punished or forced to seek progress in other countries, how can you expect anything tangible?
Una never see anything

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by kokomilala(m): 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2019
It doesn't take a genius to figure this out: if Benin and Niger don't play ball,then there should be full closures of the borders in the main ,and building of walls ,in the long run , to ward off these elements.
Honestly, I don't care if the rest of West Africa screams or goes up in flames.We've done more than enough Santa-Clausing already ,much to our detriment.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by stevups(m): 4:13pm On Nov 26, 2019
God bless BABA on this. Tuale!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Xisnin(m): 4:21pm On Nov 26, 2019
Riversides2003:
Although am not a fan of Buhari’s administration but I think this border closure is yielding some positive results, my concern though is that is should be a total closure and not partial in some northern neighboring towns.Nigerians should size this opportunity to be self sufficient in the production of certain goods and commodities. We can do it we have the population. It baffles me to to imagine Nigeria depends on Thailand a country of less than 70 million people for rice. This is not the time to start the blame games, Our youth should be more productive and stop looking for white collar jobs which are limited. Government should just map out a strategy to provide soft loans and equipment for people willing to go into agriculture, and you will all begin to see changes.

The government is not getting anything right.
Some people will always gain while others lose due to the government's action, there
is nothing special about this case.

An economy is not built by banning imports but by encouraging production.
The fact that commodities imported from thousands of miles away are cheaper
than locally-made ones should be enough to tell you what the real problem is.

The last time a country tries to force self-sufficiency, 30 million lives were lost.
Though I think this border ban is mere political propaganda, it will be relaxed when
it has served its purpose.

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 26, 2019
realestniggah:
I don't support this border closure

But if it gonna stop boko haram terrorists going and coming out of our country as they please so be it.

Oga how can border closure affect Boko Haram terrorists?

Nigerian soldiers can't go to the borders controlled by Boko Haram terrorists, only Airforce go there from the sky and bomb few red-mod houses and fly back. Boko Haram control the North East boders full time.

Have they recovered the Navy Base seized by Boko Haram at Lake Chad?

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by oz4real83(m): 4:28pm On Nov 26, 2019
Stan2330:
The way the borders were closed is unheard of. No consultations were made, analysts didn't debate on the pros and cons...He just woke up one money and closed the borders rendering the lives of Nigerians who borrowed huge amount of money from the bank hypertensive
if there was a deadline announced concerning the border closure, the level of imports into this country would have been unprecedented. The quantity of rice import alone will be so much that it will last more than 10 years. Nigerian importers would have imported anything importable. The country would have been overflooded with imports which would have killed our currency and economy as a whole. FG took the best option but they should also do everything possible to make us self-sufficient.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by musicwriter(m): 4:28pm On Nov 26, 2019
realestniggah:
I don't support this border closure

But if it gonna stop boko haram terrorists going and coming out of our country as they please so be it.

Whats closed is official borders. But there're thousands of illegal routes.

The Nigeria customs themselves estimate there're over 2,000 illegal routes. https://www.nairaland.com/5544780/customs-discovers-2000-illegal-rice

Boko haram is a different issue caused by religious fundamentalism and blind faith in a god that has made them very stupid.

I was in the neighboring country last week and I can assure you there's more hardship in Nigeria as a result of the border closure than in neighboring countries. Product prices are generally a ittle cheaper over there now, except petrol.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by shiki(m): 4:28pm On Nov 26, 2019
If we can't buy okrika cloths and shoes again, let the production of these items in Nigeria improved to higher standard
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by realestniggah: 4:33pm On Nov 26, 2019
Isinweke:

Oga how can border closure affect Boko Haram terrorists?

Nigerian soldiers can't go to the borders controlled by Boko Haram terrorists, only Airforce go there from the sky and bomb few red-mod houses and fly back. Boko Haram control the North East boders full time.

Have they recovered the Navy Base seized by Boko Haram at Lake Chad?

Boko haram have know to exploit the vulnerability in our borders in the past.. I know there are other route but thing will be a lot harder now with this border closure

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by nototribalist: 4:33pm On Nov 26, 2019
That border shouldn't be opened

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by rabzy: 4:34pm On Nov 26, 2019
musicwriter:

Whats closed is official borders. But there're thousands of illegal routes.

The Nigeria customs themselves estimate there're over 2,000 illegal routes. https://www.nairaland.com/5544780/customs-discovers-2000-illegal-rice

Boko haram is a different issue caused by religious fundamentalism and blind faith in a god that has made them very stupid.

I was in the neighboring country last week and I can assure you there's more hardship in Nigeria as a result of the border closure than in neighboring countries. Product prices are generally a ittle cheaper over there now, except petrol.

The product is cheap there because Nigeria is no longer buying...so it is super abundant there, soon those products would stop being imported to Benin since there are no buyers and the price returns to normal or most likely Thailand Vietnam et al will stop sending rice to Benin and they would have to buy from us if we achieve sufficiency or they too grow locally.
I support the border closure.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by musicwriter(m): 4:46pm On Nov 26, 2019
rabzy:

The product is cheap there because Nigeria is no longer buying...so it is super abundant there, soon those products would stop being imported to Benin since there are no buyers and the price returns to normal or most likely Thailand Vietnam et al will stop sending rife to Benin and they would have to buy from us if we achieve sufficiency or they good grow locally.
I support the border closure.

So, you think people in Benin republic don't eat rice? And, of course, they ship rice to many other countries. Nigeria is just one.

It might interest you to note that in Benin, product price don't change for the worse all of a sudden like Nigeria. Product price actually do come down there.

I am not against your support for border closure but just wanted to say border closure doesn't include probably 10,000 illegal routes that are wide open.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Sweeetheart(m): 4:50pm On Nov 26, 2019
as good this boarder closure claimed to look like, the inflation of local goods, change of govt etc won't make any different

if federal govt is paying a security agency salaries then they should be hold responsible for any sabotage and porous boarder.

the reason why Nigeria remained in this way for long is because we invest our strength on misplace priorities things and we use permanent solution for temporary problem

smuggling of goods is a big failure on NSC side, their recruit, training and operations should be redress. all this show of shame won't last for long
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Legendguru: 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2019
oh
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by globalresource: 4:56pm On Nov 26, 2019
Stupid FG. You can close it. Nigeria is the one breaking the rule
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by West2019(m): 5:03pm On Nov 26, 2019
I dnt like bubu but on this border close I 100% support him
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by lukui: 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2019
Stupid Buhari, dullard Buhari, mumu ,Buhari, brainless Buhari, coconut head Buhari, idiot Buhari, bastard Buhari,

He had closed the border now.
Any other adjective for Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Ajibade123(m): 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2019
so at my age I will na sit and read Lai rubbish lie oshi

anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia, Canada or US check my signature for more info
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by DanZubair(m): 5:19pm On Nov 26, 2019
Some people are supporting this border closure,they dont know it is doing more harm to nigeria than its doing to the neighbouring countries. I dont believe these figures!!! Our christians will celebrate dry christmas ever

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by dederocs(m): 5:19pm On Nov 26, 2019
Keep it closed till they give us assurances that their nations will no longer be routes to dumping goods in Nigeria by Western nations. Even if rice is expensive, as long as its Nigerians making the money, and the money remains here, it will lead to prosperity eventually...and the price will reduce as more Nigerians engage in rice farming and meet our local consumption rate.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by dederocs(m): 5:20pm On Nov 26, 2019
DanZubair:
Some people are supporting this border closure,they dont know it is doing more harm to nigeria than its doing to the neighbouring countries. I dont believe these figures!!! Our christians will celebrate dry christmas ever
If you no eat rice you go die?
Since na you poor pass, na rice be your problem angry
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by jahsharon: 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2019
DennisEche:
NA GHANA OWN DE SWEET ME PASS, THEM MUST HEAR WORD, NOT A FAN OF BABA BUT HE GOT THIS RIGHT THIS TIME AROUND

This is what we call patriotism. When the government gets things right, we give the government a thumb up and support the government but when the government is derailing we all in one accord call government to order, in one accord we oppose bad policies no matter the party involved. I am a Buharist, I stand with Buhari, but whenever he makes wrong policy or wrong decision I join hands with others fight him to standstill e.g. the back-door tax policy. We shall fight the policy together. This country belongs to all of us.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by jahsharon: 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2019
Stan2330:
The way the borders were closed is unheard of. No consultations were made, analysts didn't debate on the pros and cons...He just woke up one money and closed the borders rendering the lives of Nigerians who borrowed huge amount of money from the bank hypertensive

Please go and consult with your village people. Also discuss the pros and cons with them. When you finish your discussions, you can take one of the illegal routes to Ghana and naturalise to Ghana. Buhari Buhari tilekun mo won, ofi kokoro pamo meaning Buhari has locked the gate and thrown the key into Lagos Lagoon..

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by MrPresident1: 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2019
Jubril spreading poverty across West Africa
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 5:56pm On Nov 26, 2019
DennisEche:
NA GHANA OWN DE SWEET ME PASS, THEM MUST HEAR WORD, NOT A FAN OF BABA BUT HE GOT THIS RIGHT THIS TIME AROUND

He is just wasting his time. Even the developed world cannot secure their borders look at America and Britain how many people smuggle into those countries every year and drugs. Britain is an island surrounded by water still people smuggle things into the country. It just cannot work in fact it might backfire and affect the Nigerian economy because now what he has done he has moved the borders to illegal routes and smuggling. What this means now everything to do with importation goods through the border is in Legal which puts a lot of trade Underground which government cannot account for the money. It is better to open the borders and let products come in legally so you know what products are coming in than to close your borders and let products be smuggled in you do not know what is coming in what is going out. No country in the world have successfully short it borders for goods and it has worked. It looks like Nigeria illiteracy have taken over the country Nigeria is trying to do the impossible
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2019
Glycosunde:
And yet parts of northern Nigeria is still experiencing smuggling. What is worth doing, is worth doing well. Total closure and actualization is needed

It is impossible to totally close your borders look at America even with a border wall they are still facing problems. Britain is surrounded by water and they are still facing problems with smuggling. The problem in Nigeria is illiteracy the Nigerian president is just chasing ghost what he is doing the Who black market he has pushed it on the ground which money cannot be accounted for. Benin Republic Togo they are still offloading ship loads of rice are the stores at the border are still selling rice how is it getting to Nigeria
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by DennisEche(m): 6:07pm On Nov 26, 2019
jahsharon:

This is what we call patriotism. When the government gets things right, we give the government a thumb up and support the government but when the government is derailing we all in one accord call government to order, in one accord we oppose bad policies no matter the party involved. I am a Buharist, I stand with Buhari, but whenever he makes wrong policy or wrong decision I join hands with others fight him to standstill e.g. the back-door tax policy. We shall fight the policy together. This country belongs to all of us.
good to hear this from a buharist, most buharist i know dont ever see any thing wrong in his policies. eg ,sarki,helius,omenka etc
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 6:09pm On Nov 26, 2019
Dannyset:
If you're doubting the fuel smuggling to Benin Republic go and spend just one week in Idiroko. I served there.

People are callous!

You have not yet heared what has happened in Idiroko there is a 2-inch underground pipe running from Nigeria to Benin Republic the pipe is 1 kilometres long irrigation pipe that is the one they are using to smuggle petrol the pipe can smuggle 10000 litre of petrol in 1 hour. It is difficult to see it because it's one foot on the ground
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by opemite: 6:37pm On Nov 26, 2019
I pity Benin so much, because 1 litre of fuel now is 650.
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Susu888(m): 6:38pm On Nov 26, 2019
Abeg make BuBu no open that border in January (make it 3yrs .... our neighbors must get sense by force!

Rubbish angry
Re: Border Closure: Benin, Niger Haven’t Met Our Conditions – FG by Susu888(m): 6:49pm On Nov 26, 2019
Our customs and immigration need to upgrade from outposts nd checkpoints to using drones for the surveillance of our borders. We have alot of unchecked movement in the northern parts nd those countries are still taking advantage of it. Use drones for God sakes since there are too many routes and we are short handed on personnel!! Jeez.. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Made N5.6 Million In 3-years - Donald Duke Tells INEC / Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Polled 1271 (APC Presidential Primary) / Attah Igala (Aliyu Obaje) Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.