Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator (4631 Views)

Please Help: Extreme Fuel Consumption On Acura MDX With 2007 With 145,000 Miles / What Kind Of Camry Is This? / What Are The Causes Of Spark Plug Soaked With Oil? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by thebigkendo(m): 9:24am On Dec 05, 2019
Inception:

Radu, If you go through my comments again as a rebuttal to the person i quoted, i only stated the the ability and possibility to use water in coolant systems without suffering the debilitating effects of engine overheating. And i also tried to clarify the nonsense that premixed Coolant has to be used because an engine is running at a temperature of 1500 deg.C ( This temperature is within the combustion chamber and remember the water flows round the external sides of the combustion cylinder like a cooling jacket and has no direct contact with the combustion chamber, and because the cooling system is pressurized, the boiling point of water is greatly reduced Increased {think of the operating principles of a pressure cooker}, of course with the help of applying thermodynamic principles such as coolant flow-rate, forced convection etc.). Water can serve as a coolant but should only be used in a short term e.g when checking for/ repairing leaks.

The invaluable benefits of using premixed coolants( as per manufacturer's spec ) cannot be overemphasized.

Fixed
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by thebigkendo(m): 9:27am On Dec 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

I will take distilled water over all this plenty adulterated coolants everywhere. Many of them are just colored water... No anti-freeze whatever there

Loud it sir!!!!
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by MotorGuru: 9:34am On Dec 05, 2019
thebigkendo:

Fixed

True
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Inception(m): 9:37am On Dec 05, 2019
thebigkendo:

Fixed

was an oversight

Thanks boss
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 11:18am On Dec 05, 2019
thebigkendo:

Loud it sir!!!!
DJ abeg increase the volume...
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by radautoworks: 11:27am On Dec 05, 2019
Inception:

Radu, If you go through my comments again as a rebuttal to the person i quoted, i only stated the the ability and possibility to use water in coolant systems without suffering the debilitating effects of engine overheating. And i also tried to clarify the nonsense that premixed Coolant has to be used because an engine is running at a temperature of 1500 deg.C ( This temperature is within the combustion chamber and remember the water flows round the external sides of the combustion cylinder like a cooling jacket and has no direct contact with the combustion chamber, and because the cooling system is pressurized, the boiling point of water is greatly reduced{think of the operating principles of a pressure cooker}, of course with the help of applying thermodynamic principles such as coolant flow-rate, forced convection etc.). Water can serve as a coolant but should only be used in a short term e.g when checking for/ repairing leaks.

The invaluable benefits of using premixed coolants( as per manufacturer's spec ) cannot be overemphasized.

Missed this part. We are on the same page
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by chibjohn(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
AerialMapper:
1. Whats water doing in your radiator?

Temperatures in your engine can reach 1500 degrees centigrade. What temperature does water boil at?

How can you then efficiently use a substance that boils at 100 degrees centigrade to cool and engine that runs at very high temperatures.

Using water was the root cause which then led to the stripped bolts. When you repair your engine, stick to the recommended coolant
Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius at atmospheric pressure. If you increase the pressure, the boiling point increases. A car cooling system is pressurised. There is no way it can boil at 100 degrees in that pressurised state. It only boils when the pressure is relieved like when you open the radiator cover of a hot engine.
You can use water as a coolant in tropical Africa but only distilled or demineralised water. I use demineralised water in my car. We don't get to sub zero temperatures here. So, we don't need antifreeze that is added in coolants. The antifreeze simply stops the coolant from freezing at very cold temperatures thereby preserving the integrity of the cooling system at cold temperatures.
You are discouraged from using ordinary water because it contains minerals like calcium, magnesium etc that precipitate out at high temperatures and end up fouling, depositing and blocking pathways for water passage. The effect is the reduction in heat dissipation effect of the cooling system resulting in overheating and engine damage.

So if you are living in Nigeria and can lay your hands on Distilled water or demineralised water, use it as your coolant. Nothing will happen to your car because of that and your cooling system will work well as if you are using coolant.
But, if you can't lay your hands on either of the two, you must use a coolant. Never pour in ordinary potable water into your car cooling system.

4 Likes

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2019
chibjohn:

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius at atmospheric pressure. If you increase the pressure, the boiling point increases. A car cooling system is pressurised. There is no way it can boil at 100 degrees in that pressurised state. It only boils when the pressure is relieved like when you open the radiator cover of a hot engine.
You can use water as a coolant in tropical Africa but only distilled or demineralised water. I use demineralised water in my car. We don't get to sub zero temperatures here. So, we don't need antifreeze that is added in coolants. The antifreeze simply stops the coolant from freezing at very cold temperatures thereby preserving the integrity of the cooling system at cold temperatures.
You are discouraged from using ordinary water because it contains minerals like calcium, magnesium etc that precipitate out at high temperatures and end up fouling, depositing and blocking pathways for water passage. The effect is the reduction in heat dissipation effect of the cooling system resulting in overheating and engine damage.

So if you are living in Nigeria and can lay your hands on Distilled water or demineralised water, use it as your coolant. Nothing will happen to your car because of that and your cooling system will work well as if you are using coolant.
But, if you can't lay your hands on either of the two, you must use a coolant. Never pour in ordinary potable water into your car cooling system.

� you are so on point... However let me add the additives in coolant also help lubricate the water pump and this is very important to help the pump last long...

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 4:50pm On Dec 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Exactly... Considering the radiator cap raises the pressure of the water, the water in a properly functioning cooling system will never boil as is boiling point would have been raised due to the pressure build up.
OP kindly start with the simplest things
1. Find a tech that knows his stuff.
2. Pressurize the system. Check for leaks or a drop in pressure.
3. Inspect radiator cap.
4. Inspect hoses while vehicle idles at operating temperature.
5. Check your gear oil and engine oil to be sure water is not leaking into the engine ir transmission.

Atleast start with these first

After the gasket was changed, oil was found in the coolant while water was found on the engine oil dipstick Also, there were signs of water in the engine combustion chamber.

The radiator cap and hoses looked OK without any signs of leak.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

� you are so on point... However let me add the additives in coolant also help lubricate the water pump and this is very important to help the pump last long...

I think the anti-freez also raises the boiling temperature of water.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 4:55pm On Dec 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

I will take distilled water over all this plenty adulterated coolants everywhere. Many of them are just colored water... No anti-freeze whatever there

How can one identify and get genuine coolants for Toyota cars
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Inception(m): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2019
haslaw:

It actually reduces the freezing point of water. We have no business with antifreeze here in Nigeria as we have a tropicalized climate
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 9:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
haslaw:

After the gasket was changed, oil was found in the coolant while water was found on the engine oil dipstick Also, there were signs of water in the engine combustion chamber.

The radiator cap and hoses looked OK without any signs of leak.
You obviously have an internal leak
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 9:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
haslaw:

I doubt that i might be wrong though. What i know is The anti freeze in the coolant is basically to prevent the coolant from freezing at lower temperatures.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 9:55pm On Dec 05, 2019
haslaw:

How can one identify and get genuine coolants for Toyota cars
There are quite a number of people that sell original toyota coolants on NL. Kindly reach out to them sir.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 12:18pm On Dec 06, 2019
AutoMoTech:

There are quite a number of people that sell original toyota coolants on NL. Kindly reach out to them sir.

Thank you sir.. How do I contact them.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by ricki: 1:26pm On Dec 06, 2019
My car is doing same thing. So I bought used engine and gearbox even before knowing the problem. I kept putting water and upon inspection the thing is gone.

I check the exhaust one day and all my water was coming out from it in drips�. No water means overheating. Against my principle I did a direct connection of the fan.

And the car run like nothing is wrong with it. I will keep the other engine instead and watch this current one.

Just very fortunate I bought the engine for nothing #25 plus gearbox. I bought front strut #20 shipped them to naija.

Just kinda suprised the car still drive normally with adequate cooling. Also I will try head gasket leak stopper and see.

Or else rebuild and swap is real. Naija mechanic are just something else they cut your head at any chance they get...... tryago I salute gentleman.

Hope you escape that woman that came to drag you dat day.

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by ricki: 1:42pm On Dec 06, 2019
Inception:

It actually reduces the freezing point of water. We have no business with antifreeze here in Nigeria as we have a tropicalized climate

What about RUST !!!

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2020
Good evening people,

Following my earlier post about my brother's car and the suggestions I got on this forum.. I went on youtube and came across a solution to the water disappearing from radiator tank.

The solution went like this, we bought radiator seal and poured it into the radiator mixed with water and the engine was run for about 20 minutes and the fluid was drained. This effectively sealed the leak and the water has stopped disappearing from the radiator. The car has been OK since then.

Thanks so much everyone.

Cc

AutoMoTech Autologic carmartng GAZZUZZ
MotoGuru radautoworks Legitportal Godspower35 gummi21 AerialMapper inception chipjohn ricki
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by BarrSly: 8:20pm On Feb 12, 2020
Wow... I don’t know anything about cars but I smiled happily when I realized you guys have solved the problem... I intend buying the 2007 SE Toyota Camry i4 I hope it’s a good buy what do you think, in relation to what your brother is experiencing with his.

haslaw:
Good evening people,

Following my earlier post about my brother's car and the suggestions I got on this forum.. I went on youtube and came across a solution to the water disappearing from radiator tank.

The solution went like this, we bought radiator seal and poured it into the radiator mixed with water and the engine was run for about 20 minutes and the fluid was drained. This effectively sealed the leak and the water has stopped disappearing from the radiator. The car has been OK since then.

Thanks so much everyone.

Cc

AutoMoTech Autologic carmartng GAZZUZZ
MotoGuru radautoworks Legitportal Godspower35 gummi21 AerialMapper inception chipjohn ricki

(1) (2) (Reply)

Current State Of Lagos-benin Expressway - (pictures) / Cars Or Real Estate Property (A Balance Btw Asset Luxury & Liability) / I Need A Clean Used Car Urgently (not Above 600k)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.