Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,551 members, 7,819,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? (10521 Views)

Work With Us As Part Time Or Full Time Team Member / Banker Shares A Story Of How Him Help A Security Guard To A Higher Position / 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by aorseer: 7:37am On Dec 02, 2019
By opening his door you will be surprised how many doors will open for you. God works in mysterious ways
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by slack: 7:38am On Dec 02, 2019
All of you shouting help mr x help mr x dont be wicked bla bla bla. Has the poster asked mr x if he is interested in the opening? then if mr x confirms that he is interested the poster can go ahead and help. Poster just dey assume say mr x go like the new job. But the right thing to do is discuss with mr x.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by trendyprettygir: 7:38am On Dec 02, 2019
Its people like you that have hindered lots of people...preventing their growth.

However, i will not judge you, but please do the right thing. If you don't he can still get a better offer and resign, or get transferred far away from you.

My advise, have a discussion with him and let him know what you intend to do. Then ask him who can he recommend to replace him in his current position and why.

Another option is, let him know what you intend to do and still request he helps you even i he assumes the new role.

However, don't be wicked...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Xisnin(m): 7:39am On Dec 02, 2019
You should rather resign since you can't do your job.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Starboytwo(m): 7:40am On Dec 02, 2019
May you make the right decision op... I feel you, and na only you know how the thing really be... God bless
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Xisnin(m): 7:40am On Dec 02, 2019
slack:
All of you shouting help mr x help mr x dont be wicked bla bla bla. Has the poster asked mr x if he is interested in the opening? then if mr x confirms that he is interested the poster can go ahead and help. Poster just dey assume say mr x go like the new job. But the right thing to do is discuss with mr x.
Why do you think he hasn't discussed it?
He knows that Mr. X will jump at the offer.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by patrickmuf(m): 7:41am On Dec 02, 2019
OP I perfectly understand the situation you find yourself as I have been there before not in your position but as Mr. X.

In my case, it was my sister as my boss and so many senior friends in the donor agencies that funded us but the big issue is that nobody wants to lose an excellent staff, it is what it is but I think you have to trust other team members with more responsibility to get the best out of them. Some folks in your team might be relaxed seeing that you seem to trust Mr. X more. Make everyone feel important and valued and you'll most likely find many Mr. X who before now looked incapable of stepping into Mr. X's shoe.

Push his CV through and find you others who can do better...

If I wanted to go any further, I'd say for Mr. X to be so good yet has been in the same position for years is either down to ill luck finding a new job or due to the perks he gets from the job which I'm certain you don't know. Move him on and get to discover your terrain even more as it sounds like a lot of what you know of the new terrain is what he wants you to know.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by enawt: 7:43am On Dec 02, 2019
Help him to help you too. Just make sure he knows how important you are to his work if he gets promoted and his to yours. That you'll still be needing his help in any way he can.
You can help each other that way.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by tman14(m): 7:45am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat my advice is that you call Mr X, discuss with him on how he is valuable to your team, but how you also want his progress and such you are recommending him for the new slot.

Knowing this Mr X will understand your predicament. He may even also recommend somebody that will do better than him.

Do not be a hindrance to his blessings as God will use somebody else if you refuse to be used.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by ProtectMyMoney: 7:45am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

**I'm I going to be so stupid for allowing him Go now.

Pls advise me on what to do..

Tell Mr X to recommend someone who can work like him to you within 24hrs.

Push Mr X CV forward...he deserves it as your write up seems he merits it.. You will need him sometime in future, and i'm sure he will always be ready to assist you no matter where he is posted as a TSM.

Do not bar his progress as he didn't hinder yours.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by gbengs247: 7:49am On Dec 02, 2019
You just have to help him. God has a way of meeting the needs of good people. God might have sent you their because He wanted to answer his prayers.
But before you do that, call him for a discussion and let him know why you did the increment and what you are planning to do. Tell him your fears and that you have decided to help him irrespective of your fears. I'm sure he would be grateful and do more to making your work easy.
At the end, its a win win thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Depressed101: 7:50am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
I met an existing Sales team which I inherited from the previous manager.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

this is simple, op don't fail to submit his CV. Before he goes for the job offer I am sure he will introduce you to the things he does and the people he connects with to meet up with sales demand in short periods... I have a feeling you are scared of the responsibility.. The truth is you have to own up, it your time to do the best you can and even enrich yourself experience wise..

Lastly don't overlook other workers.. They might turn out to be as good as mr
X....

I hope to hear that you submitted his CV.
I will be happy

1 Like

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by jaxxy(m): 7:51am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

My 1st advice was gona be u shud be selfish cos it’s self preservation 1st bt 2nd thought was u cud discuss the matter with him and if he wants the opportunity do it for him cos he will always respect and owe u one.

On ur team stuff isn’t there a way he can brush u up or give u a crash course on the workings b4 he gets the knew appointment or even work with u from proxy?

Look at all possible options of the scenarios if he has to leave cos that may be best for him especially If he wants it too.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:51am On Dec 02, 2019
Op, you better help him, if not, you fit be for market soon as Mr X fit get to know about it later, stop helping you, work for your fall, take over your seat.....
If you help him, you can still contact him, you can even let him know later that you are the one that helped him, he can help you through with stuffs, he might be in position to save you tomorrow....
The choice is yours
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by SocialJustice: 7:54am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

If you have truly doubled his take home, why are you uncomfortable. Set your own targets that must be met before he leaves. There should be at least a replacement for him in the team or 2 people that can make 50% sales. Do not throwaway the asset in your team because you think what you're doing is wrong. Learn all there is to learn to make your team stronger when he leaves before you let him go. Leadership and people management is not an easy task. Even when he is gone, find a way for him to add value, if possible let him transfer his leads to others in the team or have 2 team members learn under him. You have to be bold.

I wish you the best.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by DCTrendy(m): 7:57am On Dec 02, 2019
@Poster,

You are a wonderful person. The fact that you became worried about this shows that.

1. Help him. And do it quickly

2. Look into that team, there is another Mr X among them. Just find him/her.

3. Extract every single info you can from Mr X before he leaves

4. You have done a great job already. One day he will finally leave. Write your name in his heart forever by helping him. This last week, a friend got a job through my connection. He is resuming as I type. You can’t imagine the joy in my heart as I type, because God used me for him! If I had refused to help him, won’t help come to him someday from another source? So what will be my benefit.

Don’t worry bro, go ahead n help him.
Thanks �� in advance.
Wishing everyone here a wonderful week.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by goshen26: 7:59am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

Help him out, regardless of his influence on your sales...

If you do he will not forget u, if you don't and something else take him the glory of being the helper won't be urs.

Pls help him
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by highcurrent: 8:00am On Dec 02, 2019
it doesn't matter whether you're a politician or a movie star, or a pepper seller or a nobody, JUST DO THE RIGHT THING.

OP DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by pamelerin: 8:01am On Dec 02, 2019
@Op. God is with you, he brought you to your new station for purposes and one of those purposes is help the guy. Do not hold back, do not hesitate, just do what is best expected of you as other posters have recommended. To up your game, try as much as possible to inherit and follow up on all his customers. You may watch follow him to the market and try to catch his sales style that makes him exceptional over the years and adopt it. It is well with you. Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Ayanko(m): 8:02am On Dec 02, 2019
Please let him go.
Tell him you helped him because of his hard and good work so he can keep doing more.
God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Hardeybaryor(m): 8:02am On Dec 02, 2019
You don't have to be selfish here sir. You never knew someone will help you that much when you were transferred right! So if you think God has pushed him to you and he has done his part to secure your feet in that region, then you need to do your own part as well to ensure the establishment of his own career as well.
Don't allow the fear of the unknown to becloud you. Help him grow as he has helped you. With the little you've gained from his support, I think you can build yourself and what makes you think someone else can't be added to your team who will do better than he is?
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by ffo(m): 8:03am On Dec 02, 2019
What more can i say. Most of the advice and recommendations are good. Please let Mr X go, do not stand on his way to success, please push him, he has been in the company for years, and he has the capability, God brought you there for a purpose, your conscience is already telling you to help him, please do. God will raise another Mr X for you. Also, you also need someone to push you up one day.

Please update us after submitting his CV.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by femi4: 8:07am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

He ll eventually leave one way or the other. Put one or two people in his team strictly to understudy his method of operation

Loose him! and let him go.....if he eventually found out about opening and your reluctant to recommend him, his output may eventually drop drastically
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by iita: 8:13am On Dec 02, 2019
Loose him and let him go!
Then, you will see the glory of God in your career. There is a higher position waiting for you somewhere, so, look beyond where and what you are presently.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Bluehill1051: 8:13am On Dec 02, 2019
But why are Afonja people so wicked to other tribes. If Mr X was Afonja like your self, and not even doing too well, just for the fact that he is Afonja, you'll quickly recommend him. Wicked soul!
AlexDeedat:

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by victorVIC1(m): 8:14am On Dec 02, 2019
This reminds me of my former boss...Dude got a job he knew nothing about and was using me to cover up the gap. For more than one year, he refused to approve my leave despite my assurance that I would be supporting from home. Eventually left the company for a better offer. Las Las he was able to find his way around the job after I left. Don't allow selfishness to deter you from being a blessing to those who deserve it. Trust me, you will be fine without the guy, it's called survival instinct

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Bigwig02(m): 8:14am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Dont be too emotional about this..
That's Prejudice on my part. I am not perfect and that's why I am seeking for advise. I still have time to make the right decision..

I understand you did not understand my dilemma..

You Both were send for each other to grow., At least you have build little confidence with your Boss with over 75% output just for the first month, Help him if you have the chance to, Because its meant take 2-3 Weeks for the recruitment process, after Mr X find out you actually push for him, He will exposed more to you that will elevate your performance, where even after leaving you can still call for his assistant if Need be,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by jiddama(f): 8:17am On Dec 02, 2019
shadeyinka:

The first rule of life.

Do unto others what you would love done to you.

Please recommend Mr X for his upgrade to that new position.

However, you can be strategic about it. Let him know the problem his vacancy will cause to you. Let him suggest the way out for you. You might be surprised to end up with three Mr X rather than one .

If you can still do something, do it now! If God pushed him to you, God is still there to help you.

Op,

Listen to this.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by solsticey2k3(m): 8:20am On Dec 02, 2019
Yes of course,

This will boost the morale of others to also improve and give their best.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Wallade(m): 8:21am On Dec 02, 2019
Yes, you should recommend him for the TSM job.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Pathfinder121: 8:32am On Dec 02, 2019
I understand your dilemma as I have been in this crossed road several times.

With all sincerity, I have got at least 6 members of my team promoted in space of 1 year. It increases your value, increases your organisational influence and makes you a reference point for someone lifting and success story.

Also, endeavour to change your mindset from being a survival or a typical Nigerian manager to Leadership mindset.

A leader reward good work in case of Mr X and serves as a pointer to other members.

Don't allow KARMA to teach you a lesson �

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by elsom: 8:54am On Dec 02, 2019
Yes. You should. If not, you're sitting on someone's rise. Let him advance and another from your team will take his place and advance further. Imagine having 5 people all from your team who made it to higher offices? It will bring even higher recognition to you. It will show the company you're good and will put in the line of a future director. And you would have raised men and women to back up anytime.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ericsson Moves To Sack Nigerian Employees, Hire Indians As Replacement / Ican 2017 May Diet Result / Top 10 Best Paying Organization In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.