Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? (10519 Views)

Work With Us As Part Time Or Full Time Team Member / Banker Shares A Story Of How Him Help A Security Guard To A Higher Position / 6 Proven Ways To Negotiate A Higher Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Abdujapha(m): 8:56am On Dec 02, 2019
Yo, this might late but the fact you're asking on here means you know you should recommend "Mr X" for the position even as he'd be leaving your team. Don't be an obstacle to people's growth career wise or otherwise cool

AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
I met an existing Sales team which I inherited from the previous manager.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

**I'm I going to be so stupid for allowing him Go now.

Pls advise me on what to do..

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Slynation(m): 8:59am On Dec 02, 2019
Offpoint:
This annoying prick BBQ is back again, couple of days I didn't see IT on nairaland I thought IT was hit by a bus while delivering its dead beef to an innocent customer...

I honestly don't know why bus drivers are too careful these days.

op! on your predicament, I don't like typing epistle. just use your head.

Help Him get a better job, when they fired you were you are... Mr X will help you get a job at were you recommended him. it's a simple stuff.

Too much sense go finally kill me one day
But on a more serious note.... BBQ is a good person, his response on this forum are always top notch, his only crime is that he's a core APC fan
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by zicoraads: 9:00am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Dont be too emotional about this..
That's Prejudice on my part. I am not perfect and that's why I am seeking for advise. I still have time to make the right decision..

I understand you did not understand my dilemma..
If you haven't already, send his CV. I'm sure the process of him resuming at his new place might take some weeks, if not more. In the interim, make sure you learn every single thing you can about your new terrain from him.

You'll be surprised, he'll one day be in a position to also push you up the ladder and he will not hesitate.

Sometimes, in helping people grow, you might just be helping yourself too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by zicoraads: 9:00am On Dec 02, 2019
Slynation:

But on a more serious note.... BBQ is a good person, his response on this forum are always top notch, his only crime is that he's a core APC fan
He's an e-diot.

Core APC or not.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by babsdeebabs(m): 9:04am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Please I want you to judge me but, while you do that, please be sincere. I will make it brief. Please dont mind the typo errors or any errors as we have many English teachers on board.

It all started about 3moths now, I works with an FMCG Multinational Company as a Field Sales Manager and I was newly transferred to one of the northern state from Lagos.

I arrived this state as a Johny Just Come (JJC) and I can barely speak ordinary 'Wa kin pa o' (come make I kill You), I am a Yoruba Man.
One of the Sales people is Mr X. Oh my God! This guy is just so exceptionally intelligent, smart, hardworking, dexterous and has the qualities to be a great Manager. He is still an Open Market Sales Rep despite the years he has put in the Business.

Mr X took me round the Territory, helped introduced me to existing distributors and we were able to recruited more. My line manager was so surprised that i was able to fit into the new environment easily and met 72% of my target for the first month within that shortest time. This particular Mr X has so much channels he can singlehandedly do 50% of the entire secondary sales while the remaining sales rep struggled with the rest.

Now this where I'll need your advise. There is a new vacant slots for the post of TSM, three (3)northern states and one(1) south eastern state. I have opportunity to sloth Mr X's CV so he can be called for exams and possibly interviews. I am more than sure this guy will get the job with my help and his effort.

The problem is "I CAN'T LET MR X GO NOW" I decided to work out ridiculous incentives for him to increase his pay and he was so happy about it this month. He received 2x of what he always received monthly for the last few years...but yet, my conscience wont let me rest till now as it is about 48 hours to the close of submission for CVs.

I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer..If you have been to core north, you will understand.

**I know God pushed him to me and I am very grateful. I'm I being wivked or self centered by holding on from sending his CV?

You should know that [/b]we rise by lifting others![b]
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by katily2(f): 9:08am On Dec 02, 2019
Please, recommend him, you were sent to impart each other's lives.
May our next-level not be stagnated by others just because of what they are gaining from us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by extremelygolden: 9:10am On Dec 02, 2019
@Op, God actually sent you there to be a destiny helper to that man and you'll have everything to gain if you obey.
1. If he's considered for the position, he'll surely handover to you before relocating to his new place of assignment. That means he'll take you round and properly introduce you to his contacts in that community.

2. He will pray that God should bless you. You may not know the impact of that simple prayer, God bless you, but it works.

3. Your conscience will be clear.

4. Even God Himself will raise helpers of destiny for you and you will begin to experience accelerated promotions.

He's even the one you should be bothered about because he's going to start afresh from an unknown and a new environment.

Please don't make the mistake my former boss made some years ago. Today he's regretting why he didn't give us (those reporting directly to him) the opportunity to grow when it was in his power to do so. I can't count the number of times he has called to ask for my forgiveness because of what happened in the past. I think he now realized his mistakes and of course, I have nothing against him.

So, don't deprive the man an opportunity to experience a lifting. You said he has been in that position for years. Now is the time for you to do for him what other people failed to do!
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by RapportNaija(m): 9:11am On Dec 02, 2019
Dear OP, let me tell you a story.

I once worked as a Sales Rep too in a commercial bank. There was this colleague I met on the job that was excellent. He singlehandedly saves our cluster month-end figures. Many others were getting opportunities of promotion, but the Cluster head never helped this guy move forward.

We always wondered, why? He's better than everyone, why not him every time there's an opportunity?

Apparently, he was being held because of his figures. The Boss had this same issue you are battling with.

Today, I can tell you for free the Boss has been sacked. I'm sure the guy has moved ahead on that job. What do you think the guy would hold against his former boss?

So, why do you want to hold another man back? Help him move forward and see how your life will move forward for the better too.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by yongg: 9:11am On Dec 02, 2019
Your dilemma is understandable.

However, send his CV and help him grow.

You might be fortunate he may not be called immediately, so that could provide you some time to warm up to your new location.

Get his client base/network, his methods( if you need to ask exactly how he gets his client, just do that) for easy reference and of course, if you hit some road block, I am sure he will be of help over the phones or whatever communication channel you choose.

Just as remote work is, he could also remotely help you out.

It'll be a win-win.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by yongg: 9:13am On Dec 02, 2019
babsdeebabs:

You should know that [/b]we rise by lifting others![b]

Reminds me of that M.I Abaga's track Viper....
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Slynation(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2019
zicoraads:

He's an e-diot.

Core APC or not.
Lol.... One can easily agree with you on this when it comes to political matters, I still can't believe APC gat huge fan base with the current situations
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by AlexDeedat(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2019
Thanks to everyone. This is a big family forum and I do appreciate all your advises..

For those people who think I am being wicked, there is what is called 'Empathy' it mean 'Put yourself in my shoes to know where its pains me. If you have been saddled with a managerial roles, you will understand no manager want to loose an incredible and excellent team members..

Sometime ago, my Head of Sales for North and Middle belt tendered his resignation, the entire company shivered. The company did everything to stop this man but he was determined to go. Let me tell you categorically that till now, everytime we hold sales conference, the sales director always make references to that man as the 19 states under him still suffer.

So I'll do as you all said. I am sorry if you perceived me as being wicked or selfish. Far from it. I am just trying to do the right thing by seeking your advises. God bless you all wonderful family.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Tallyglobal(m): 9:17am On Dec 02, 2019
If u do things for the sake of God u will surely get reward by getting someone that will assist u which will be perfect, there is someone like him in ur Office who is watch ur step of Humanity.

Give and take is Life..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by adanny01(m): 9:26am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

He rubbed your back, its high time you rubbed his.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by juman(m): 9:29am On Dec 02, 2019
Tough situation.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by juman(m): 9:30am On Dec 02, 2019
Help him, the heaven will help you as well.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Microwhy: 9:32am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
I need this guy on board so badly atleast for like 4 to 5 months when I'll find my feet on this ground..I have looked around the remaining sales team atleast for a replacement but the rest are just.......This environment still looks like I am being pushed here to suffer.. If you have been to core north, you will understand.
So what happen been in the core north? beside, which part is core north Mr Sales Manager. North Central, North East or where.
I bet from the way you sound, you are so immature and fragile.Been in sales department means you need to be active, smart and sharp. so please forward Mr X CV.
Sorry if i sound bitter but you might be a God sent to him and not the other way round.
North is a welcoming place to do business so stop the negative feedbacks. Mr X personality is one of thousands and more you're going to meet and come in-contact while you do business in the north (trustworthy and welcoming with a good hearth).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by pilarnig(m): 9:35am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Thanks to everyone. This is a big family forum and I do appreciate all your advises..

For those people who think I am being wicked, there is what is called 'Empathy' it mean 'Put yourself in my shoes to know where its pains me. If you have been saddled with a managerial roles, you will understand no manager want to loose an incredible and excellent team members..

Sometime ago, my Head of Sales for North and Middle belt tendered his resignation, the entire company shivered. The company did everything to stop this man but he was determined to go. Let me tell you categorically that till now, everytime we hold sales conference, the sales director always make references to that man as the 19 states under him still suffer.

So I'll do as you all said. I am sorry if you perceived me as being wicked or selfish. Far from it. I am just trying to do the right thing by seeking your advises. God bless you all wonderful family.

I understand you very well and I know what you feel. I was once in your shoes, I had a boy called miracle, he was the best in my team but when the time came to let him go because he wanted to travel abroad I still have to let him go. It was very difficult at first and even I could have held him back because he did not even have complete money for flight, which I helped him complete but what I realized was the May god not punish us for good work . Mr X only sin now is good work. You are not wicked at all and I understand you. It might take some time to get your feet but you will, just let him go. He will forever be your boy. That is what is taking Tinubu so far in politics today

2 Likes

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Silas6(m): 9:43am On Dec 02, 2019
You know what is right, do it
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by LabDNA: 9:46am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:
Dont be too emotional about this..
That's Prejudice on my part. I am not perfect and that's why I am seeking for advise. I still have time to make the right decision..

I understand you did not understand my dilemma..

Submit his CV and allow every other thing fall in place. Don't be shy to also call him for advise if he gets the job and you run into one or two hiccups.

Do the right thing. It's difficult but it will pay in the long run..
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by EkopSparoAyara(m): 9:50am On Dec 02, 2019
We grow by lifting others... You have Mr X contacts,you can always call him to help you out in any issue... I don't think he will be an ingrate after you help him... God bless you.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Richy4(m): 10:01am On Dec 02, 2019
You are being a manager and that's what managers do.. They keep the best by their side.. Make sure he is ok in terms of workload and all that. pay him right and deligate more challenging role to him so that he can advance career wise.. but keep him by your side. this got nothing to do with heart feelings.. you can't let your best and trusted employee go.. but a lot of people will not understand you. only the mature minded would..

1 Like

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Offpoint: 10:07am On Dec 02, 2019
Slynation:

Oh please, that guy's annoying...

I don't dislike cuz of the political party he affiliate himself with, I dislike him cuz COMMENTING 100 times on 1 thread and commenting on every thread... it's annoying as cow prick in soup.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by sharone21(f): 10:10am On Dec 02, 2019
Please, with the above you have tried, when there is another opportunity, don't fail to recommend him thus, u would have grown on the job in the North and he too will be blessed with a better position......don't be hard on yourself if you did not recommend him now....Stay blessed.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Banjo24: 10:10am On Dec 02, 2019
Bro, let the man go. Forward his CV for the job. Believe me, God will take care of yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by tizzdi(m): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

op have u asked him what he wants? Try asking him
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by raydatluvs(m): 10:27am On Dec 02, 2019
There's really no need insulting the poster, he's one of the good ones. Your innate kindness supercedes our tendencies to be self centered,hence this crisis you're in. You're good!

I'm assuming you don't submit his CV and he gets called immediately, there's likely to be months between now and him eventually resuming his new position if he's successful.
With this in mind, you should begin grooming other members of your team with the help of Mr X, that's essence of leadership else there will have been no procession in the world. You will be fine brother, just have to set your mind to it.

Also, Try having an honest conversation with Mr X about this possibility and know he's thought, he just might be content in this moment at this position due to personal reasons.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by ChiefSweetus: 10:42am On Dec 02, 2019
Choice - Give him that much.

You'd be surprised what'll happen when you give a man options.

He might not even want the promotion. This may be his comfort zone. He might misinterpret your kindness as wanting to get rid of him out of insecurity. But if you tell him about the opportunity and ask if he's interested.........
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by ogbevireo(m): 10:44am On Dec 02, 2019
AlexDeedat:

Recommend him.
You didn't know you will meet him when you were going there.
Just the way God placed him there for you, you too may have been sent there for his sake.
Besides, before he is invited, then goes through the process, you may have had close to the time you envisage you need.

So you will end up with the best on two fronts.
Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by kliverpool(m): 10:45am On Dec 02, 2019
raydatluvs:
There's really no need insulting the poster, he's one of the good ones. Your innate kindness supercedes our tendencies to be self centered,hence this crisis you're in. You're good!

I'm assuming you don't submit his CV and he gets called immediately, there's likely to be months between now and him eventually resuming his new position if he's successful.
With this in mind, you should begin grooming other members of your team with the help of Mr X, that's essence of leadership else there will have been no procession in the world. You will be fine brother, just have to set your mind to it.

Also, Try having an honest conversation with Mr X about this possibility and know he's thought, he just might be content in this moment at this position due to personal reasons.

you are very correct this will be my approach too.
Talk to him about it,be very open let him decide .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Recommend My Best "Team Member" For A Higher Position Off My Team? by Opeoluwaabel: 10:48am On Dec 02, 2019
well, i believe you are a good man, for you to even bring this up here shows that you have a good heart, not even when you have started helping him already by making him doubled pay. so now this is my take on the matter, you can keep him and continue to ensure that he's happy for the 4 to 5 months you said is needed to get yourself properly settled and thereafter when such opportunity opens again please do not hesitate to push him, even if you are no longer in same dept. with him and second option now is this, you can arrange to help to let him go, and then trust God to favour you in that environment as you begin to work hard on getting yourself together. Believe me, i understand your position very well. Regards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Paying Organization In Nigeria. / Can You Work From Home Part-time As A Banker Or Company Worker? / Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.