Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial (38251 Views)

Asari Dokubo To Governor Fubara: Rivers Is Not A Christian State / MURIC Blasts Governor Wike For Declaring Rivers Christian State / Governor Wike: Rivers Is A Christian State – No Apologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 2:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
Patrioticman007:

Mumu River state is a rivers of blood of the innocent killed by the cultists and ritualist. We Muslims don't need such a evil state. Let Christianity own its state.

I will want to say you and the guy you quoted seems to have the same ideology only in different direction.

This is it.
In Nigeria, according to the constitution, no state should be declare a particular religioun state.
Its against the Nigeria state.
And its also against the reasoning of some of us who also happen to be in one religion or the other.
Because for me now,I'm a Muslim. But I wouldn't want any state be declare a Muslim state. Because,for me,that's not the way it should go.

Because if God so much want "Worship",He wouldn't creat Humans.
He would have created Angeles, or even Stones to be worshipping Him.
We always forget that ,the more we do the necessary things to serve or fellow humans,like Infrastructure, electricity, unemployment, stronger institutions, and bare arms to our fellow Humans we automatically "serve God".
And that's the major reason you can't tell the destination of a dead neighbor. Provided he didn't do things to harm people when he was alive.
Because there was no Book that said that God accepted one wicked man for no good reason. So why don't we just focus on the good reasons while trying to live as a Nation?

I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by VULCAN(m): 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
APC is at it again.

A rather stupid and prejudiced write up from a dumbbell.

He said nothing while Elrufai caged the propagation of Christianity in his state but now having fits over mere words of Wike.

The writer is a bloody paid hack

Trying to play semantics over the term secular state.

I am from Rivers and it is a Christian State.

Care less bout any contrary opinion
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 2:42pm On Dec 02, 2019
XaintJoel20:

If anyone is gullible here, that person is you.
How do you justify the destruction of alcoholic beverages in states like Kano and others strictly on religious ground?
If Sharia law was only for Muslims as you want us to believe, then Christians and others in Kano should be allowed to enjoy their alcoholic beverages in peace without being harassed.
Thanks

If you were not that gullible; then why didn't you say the same for codeine syrup, tramadol, cannabis, cocaine and other intoxicants also banned in the state and FG?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 2:42pm On Dec 02, 2019
Randerl:

Zamfara, Jigawa and co using state and oil funds to sponsor construction of mosques with sharia, are they Secular and does their action conform with the various references in your writeup?

Their action is so wrong even though I'm also a Muslim.

Let's get this clear;
When you pick your first thought on anything from the religion perspective, you loose everything as human.

Don't forget the human brain is the most suffisticated machine,created by the Almighty. Why can't we be using them for once on common issue?

These are not the kind of mentality we should be having in this 21st century.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Which constitution?

Do that thing called constitution work here?

The earlier Nigeria dies, the better for everyone.

I understand your pain.

But when you say the earlier Nigeria Die, who's going to kill it if I should follow your talk.
Are you going to be at the front?
Are you coming out with cutlers or machete?

Why don't you talk to your representative to present it in the national assembly? Oh! I forget!
They will chase you with guns..lol!

Very funny set of humans.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2019
itsme01:

continue your self deciet, if you like use all the laughing emoji in the world your resources is my free money... it stupidity that would make you think working hard would make you anything in life if you aint smart..

honestly your IQ is too low for you to even qoute me, but then again this is a faceless forum

You still don't get what that guy was trying to tell you,

If they should give you the entire money,how many can you chop?

OK. If you chop finish, how would that make you feel?
Close to God or Allah?

You guys should better grow up.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 3:10pm On Dec 02, 2019
Enwhen:

I don't understand some of you Muslims, if not for the very few ones I have met , I would have concluded .... SO U MEAN , THERE IS NO CULTISTs IN SOKOTO, KANO , LAGOS ...Rivers is the only states with cultists ??, After the election name just one incident of cultists fracas , I will name more than three in Kano, Lagos(more than 10 cases) , Sokoto,...I pray God change these cultists in the nation which is as a results of poverty if trace deeply and Govt involvement... Rivers is a Christian state and those trying to bring in Islam via politics will not succeed, you are free to take the Good word of Islam to Rivers people in a peaceful manner , if they find faith in it so be it , they can embrace Islam, but Not with Threat or political favour or war, Nigeria belongs all... Wike knows what he is saying, if not the south west Muslims
,I don't think we will be taking about this by now ...In christianity, nobody FORCE U TO PRACTISE OR REMAIN IN THE FAITH or impose any law on u , it's a private issue...but we know what's happening in Kano(3%, Christians) ,Gombe( 40%) Bauchi(25%) , Kebbi(10%) Adamawa 45,% ... by the govt there infact, Sokoto(3%christians indegines) 4times the Muslims in Rivers has been officially declared STATE OF THE CALISPHATE and nobody is saying anything...but just Wike verbal declaration is giving you people sleepless night Ko ??, God will always expose u people...We don't fight for God, its a sin.

So you mean you still don't get it. Do you?

You are not different from the other guy you quoted. I tell you.

According to our constitution as a Nation called Nigeria,declaring a state a Christian or Muslim state is wrong.
And I'm even saying this as a Muslim.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 3:21pm On Dec 02, 2019
madridsta007:

Southern-owned Punch Newspapers are here vilifying Wike for his statement.
You do not see Northern-owned Daily Trust vilifying Zamfara and the Northern States for their Sharia adoption. Or vilifying Kano for their Hisbah police. Or the Northern states for destroying alcohol yet collecting tax money from the Southern states.

Stupid, cowardly Southern Nigeria/ Punch Newspapers.

Just listen to yourself!
Na wa!
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by efeski(m): 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
itsme01:

No state in the north prohibits christianity.. thats falsehood as many northerners are christians even in sokoto we even have fulani's as catholic priest...

and the issue of sharia is the same as having custumary law or state laws.. as far as the state legislature agreed and the governor signs prohibition of alchohol, introduction of moral codes etc then it is their state law and it is allowed

You're either too blinded by religious sentiments or too plain stupid to see that by your own analogy you're contracting yourself and as such coming off as both hypocritical and bereft of common sense.

Sharia is the same as having customary law according to you but that is very misleading.
Sharia is law inspired by and heavily steeped in the Islamic religion so stop talking trash.

The hisbah are enforcing laws enacted with a religious undertone.
The inclusion of those concepts - sharia law, hisbah, etc in the first place is proof of the fact that Islamic law holds sway in those states & by implication they would be rightly classified as Islamic and by extension religious states.

It would have been a different ball game if as before it was just the penal code that operated there.
But by Institutionalising Sharia law, the governors simply fused religion and state matters so all this balderdash you're talking here simply goes to show how bleeped up your thinking is probably as a result of the religion you're defending here. (happened to Abdulmutallab as well so it's not peculiar to you.)

Receive sense in the name of the Great Architect
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by madridsta007(m): 3:40pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nasir123:

Just listen to yourself!
Na wa!

Rivers is a Christian State.
Zamfara is a Muslim State.

Dont be scared undecided
This is called equality.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 3:44pm On Dec 02, 2019
madridsta007:

Rivers is a Christian State.
Zamfara is a Muslim State.

Dont be scared undecided
This is called equality.

No problem.
Continue.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by madridsta007(m): 3:47pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nasir123:

No problem.
Continue.

Again, dont be scared.
What is good for the geese, is also good for the gander.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by DrOmah(m): 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2019
When Senator Yerima established Sharia law in Zamfara State in 1999 or so, where there not Christians living in Zamfara State at the time? Did he consult the Christians before putting the law or wasn't he supposed to be father of all persons living in Zamfara? Wike represents Rivers people therefore what he said is the opinion of majority of Rivers Indigenes... For the avoidance of doubt, Rivers State is one the most religiously tolerant states in Nigeria. I have an Ikwerre brother who has been a Moslem for over 30 years now, no one has persecuted him, but same cannot be said of some Hausa persons who decided to convert to Christianity, we all know how they are marked out for persecution, some even risk death for being Christians. Pls leave Wike alone!
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by efeski(m): 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2019
NaMeAboki:

If you were not that gullible; then why didn't you say the same for codeine syrup, tramadol, cannabis, cocaine and other intoxicants also banned in the state and FG?

Let me help you out

Cocaine - should be banned & rightly so too.

The abuse of Codeine & tramadol should be criminalised.

Cannabis- Well that's debatable.

That's why you cannot equate the ban of what you listed with the ban of alcohol sales by the sharia states.

If you even criminalise the abuse of alcohol (drunkeness or driving under the influence) in the sharia states one would understand.
Not outright banning.
That's the proper way to do things and not this firebrigade approach and goatherd mentality that some of you profess.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Enwhen(m): 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nasir123:

So you mean you still don't get it. Do you?

You are not different from the other guy you quoted. I tell you.

According to our constitution as a Nation called Nigeria,declaring a state a Christian or Muslim state is wrong.
And I'm even saying this as a Muslim.

You are right from the Constitution, but many states from the north are not following the Constitution. Bro I guess u have not gone to some states in the north, mostly Kano, and see what's happening there , that even some Muslims are complaining let alone non Muslims , mostly during fasting,...by the hisbal and the govt, ...infact, u would wonder if we still have one Constitution as a nation...Nigerian and African govt should be blame for using religion to caused problem for the innocent people, I have a friend , Christian in Saudi( Holy Land for the Muslims) who does things free more than those in Kano and some state in the north. Even in the US, Muslims practise their religion, even as a God's own country, they don't establish laws that will force christians to particular belief in the Bible thereby affecting many non-christians as it is in some state in Nigeria...what is the problem with Nigeria , Our Religious leaders are divided along various lines that they find it difficult to call govt to order. I have met some real Muslims that when followed closely you cannot differentiate real character from the REAL born again christians( here I don't mean those fake wayo own) , I have met Christian's that when u examine them , u wouldn't need to look for the devil the holy Bible describe, and I have also met Muslims that when u examine them u wouldn't need to reason why we have terrorists everywhere...I have met Habeeb( Boko haram albarnawi) in person when I was in Borno, and then I knew he would end up a terrorist...as such, if our govt fails to do the needful, by following the Constitution, stop all states from various religious laws , let every restrict their religious practise to their places of worship, Bro, religion will cause war in this country and the masses will suffer the most...

1 Like

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by d33types: 4:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Stop lying: sale of food never banned at any time during Ramadan.
Ban of alcohol not enacted under Sharia but under conventional law - get your facts right.

Comprehension issues here.

What does the hisbah police mainly enforce during Ramadan?
People that will harass Christians for eating near muslims or even making them scent the food from a distance?

As for alcohol, on what basis was the law passed in the state? Isn't it because it is haram by Islamic law?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 5:43pm On Dec 02, 2019
efeski:

Let me help you out

Cocaine - should be banned & rightly so too.

The abuse of Codeine & tramadol should be criminalised.

Cannabis- Well that's debatable.

That's why you cannot equate the ban of what you listed with the ban of alcohol sales by the sharia states.

If you even criminalise the abuse of alcohol (drunkeness or driving under the influence) in the sharia states one would understand.
Not outright banning.
That's the proper way to do things and not this firebrigade approach and goatherd mentality that some of you profess.

I know it is difficult for some of you emotionally charged folks to deal with logical arguments and facts; however, if you would go back and review my initial post on the the thread you may begin to grasp the finer points of my argument - the answers are all there.

For the last time; it is the right of any state or country to enact laws consistent with the interest of its citizens; no Nigerian state has banned the sale and consumption of alcohol under Sharia law; non Muslim states/countries like America have already done so; Christians do need alcohol to practice their religion and cannot therefore claim discrimination or persecution because the ban is applicable to all (both Christians and Muslims).

Goat mentality belongs to those who cannot even exercise basic comprehension; let alone apply logic and intelligence in their argument.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 5:51pm On Dec 02, 2019
d33types:

Comprehension issues here.

What does the hisbah police mainly enforce during Ramadan?
People that will harass Christians for eating near muslims or even making them scent the food from a distance?

As for alcohol, on what basis was the law passed in the state? Isn't it because it is haram by Islamic law?

Pls show proof or the letter of the law where Hisbah or any law enforcement agency were directed/assigned the responsibility of stopping anyone from eating during Ramadan - stop lying,
I have already addressed the issue of alcohol several times - if you still cannot comprehend it; then too bad.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by AnanseK(m): 6:04pm On Dec 02, 2019
d33types:

Is alcohol drinking forbidden in Christianity ? Joker

No, it is encouraged and promoted - in your own version of Christianity.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by efeski(m): 6:49pm On Dec 02, 2019
NaMeAboki:

I know it is difficult for some of you emotionally charged folks to deal with logical arguments and facts; however, if you would go back and review my initial post on the the thread you may begin to grasp the finer points of my argument - the answers are all there.

For the last time; it is the right of any state or country to enact laws consistent with the interest of its citizens; no Nigerian state has banned the sale and consumption of alcohol under Sharia law; non Muslim states/countries like America have already done so; Christians do need alcohol to practice their religion and cannot therefore claim discrimination or persecution because the ban is applicable to all (both Christians and Muslims).

Goat mentality belongs to those who cannot even exercise basic comprehension; let alone apply logic and intelligence in their argument.

It's pointless and a complete waste of time trying to talk to you
Keep wallowing in your ignorance.

You're supposed to be smarter than this wallahi but your logic is so warped for someone waxing so lyrically
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Cityguy: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2019
Like it or not. Rivers is Christian state just as Zamfara is Muslim state.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 8:25pm On Dec 02, 2019
efeski:

It's pointless and a complete waste of time trying to talk to you
Keep wallowing in your ignorance.

You're supposed to be smarter than this wallahi but your logic is so warped for someone waxing so lyrically

Agreed.

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Big lie, food vendors are free to sell their wares at anytime during Ramadan to anyone; whether Muslims or Christians; what you fail to realise is that there are many Muslims exempted from fasting during the said period, e.g. children below puberty, the sick, menstruating women and even travellers.

It would have been disingenuous therefore to ban the sale of food, in view of such ppl; besides, nothing stops a fasting person from buying his food for later consumption at the appropriate time - your allegation is completely false and a figment from your biased imagination.

On the contrary, the ban on sale and consumption of alcohol in the state was NOT enacted UNDER SHARIA law but under conventional law through the State House of Assembly.

This lie is being told by Christians in Nigeria opposed to Sharia and promoted through an obviously biased media; besides, the ban cannot in any way prevent Christians from practising their religion; just as it did not in America when that country also did same in its prohibition years.
One question. Who are hisbah police and what do they do
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 8:45pm On Dec 02, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

One question. Who are hisbah police and what do they do

I am sure you know better.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
NaMeAboki:

I am sure you know better.
And I'm sure you don't know else you wouldn't have written that bullcrap you wrote
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 11:05pm On Dec 02, 2019
Enwhen:

You are right from the Constitution, but many states from the north are not following the Constitution. Bro I guess u have not gone to some states in the north, mostly Kano, and see what's happening there , that even some Muslims are complaining let alone non Muslims , mostly during fasting,...by the hisbal and the govt, ...infact, u would wonder if we still have one Constitution as a nation...Nigerian and African govt should be blame for using religion to caused problem for the innocent people, I have a friend , Christian in Saudi( Holy Land for the Muslims) who does things free more than those in Kano and some state in the north. Even in the US, Muslims practise their religion, even as a God's own country, they don't establish laws that will force christians to particular belief in the Bible thereby affecting many non-christians as it is in some state in Nigeria...what is the problem with Nigeria , Our Religious leaders are divided along various lines that they find it difficult to call govt to order. I have met some real Muslims that when followed closely you cannot differentiate real character from the REAL born again christians( here I don't mean those fake wayo own) , I have met Christian's that when u examine them , u wouldn't need to look for the devil the holy Bible describe, and I have also met Muslims that when u examine them u wouldn't need to reason why we have terrorists everywhere...I have met Habeeb( Boko haram albarnawi) in person when I was in Borno, and then I knew he would end up a terrorist...as such, if our govt fails to do the needful, by following the Constitution, stop all states from various religious laws , let every restrict their religious practise to their places of worship, Bro, religion will cause war in this country and the masses will suffer the most...

I absolutely agree with you on your submission.

But let me say this,its happening everywhere.

See,when I was in secondary school in the south, Warri precisely. I was personally stopped from gathering Muslim student(as I was their president then). But the Christian were allow to organized themselves.
We also have a time table for Muslim religion studies during my ss days,but we were never thought for once . But we always have our classes on CRS.
That was about 20years ago now. And still happening.
What about in the East? Where governors prioritize one doctrine (Catholism) than the rest? Were as we also have other Christians faith,even Muslims(even if it's only 0.1%) as indigenes .

I'm not trying to prove anything to you. But just to let you know these things happens everywhere.

But if we must be a Nigerian in the first place,these religion factors are not suppose to be playing out.
The state in the first place should have stopped the use of public fund for Hajj or Jerusalem,that should never have been done in the first place.
And that's the main reason we're not moving forward as a nation. And these are the things we should talk about.

As for me, a person,a Muslim, I do not subscribe to the reasoning of making a state a religious state. Muslims or Christians.
I just believe that's not the way it should be.

I believe since we have other minor religion in the state and in life,I believe their right should be respected in governance.
After all ,they are all indigenes.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 11:31pm On Dec 02, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

And I'm sure you don't know else you wouldn't have written that bullcrap you wrote

Look, I have no time for childish questions; if you have a point to prove, kindly go ahead or else STFU.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Yusman316(m): 12:24am On Dec 03, 2019
cornoil:
So you opened your gutter mouth to accuse Wike of being a cultist. Wondering the evidence you have on Wike or even others as cultist.
So all the cult killings going on there, is a movie shoot, right?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Yusman316(m): 12:36am On Dec 03, 2019
gloriaunobi:
Religion has caused so many divisions in this country..... they're meant to unite us instead but the revise is the case
Is it really religion or just the way we are wired? Don't u think if there is no religion something else will divide us?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by d33types: 1:49am On Dec 03, 2019
AnanseK:

No, it is encouraged and promoted - in your own version of Christianity.

Drunkiness is what The Bible frowns out. Drinking alcohol itself isn't forbidden.In other words excessive indulgences of any kind is discouraged ,including drinking.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by awoluyi(m): 5:25am On Dec 03, 2019
On the surface (going by the number of church goers in the state) the governor may be correct, we are waiting for the rapture to confrm his statement .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari With Wife Aisha, Amosun & Nollywood Stars At An Event In Abuja / EFCC In Benue Intercept Bags Of Cash Meant For Vote-buying - Photos / What Femi Adesina Told Me When I Visited Villa – Kukah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.